Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

stitches 2017 mock draft 1.0 (4 rounds)

Well, I decided to do a fanspeak mock draft today and here's what I chose for the Colts(I'm still not very familiar with a most of the prospects, but I have my own favourites). Here we go:

1: R1P10
EDGE MYLES GARRETT
TEXAS A&M
2: R2P10
LB REUBEN FOSTER
ALABAMA
3: R3P10
CB SIDNEY JONES
WASHINGTON
4: R4P10
RB COREY CLEMENT
WISCONSIN
5: R4P40
EDGE DEATRICH WISE JR.
ARKANSAS

For some reason Myles Garrett fell to 10. No way I am not taking him there. Reuben Foster is another of my favourites. I think there is very little chance he will be there in the second round. I think he will be rising until the draft. I absolutely love what I've seen of him so far.

Comments?

19 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I still doubt that we pick that high, but I'd be all for getting Garrett if it were somehow possible. 

I'd rank our 2017 needs as follows:

1. OLB

2. Outside Corner

3. ILB

4. RB

I think Tim Williams will be a more realistic target, unless we completely fall apart and pick top 5. 

If I had to rank our needs I'd go something like this(with my very early favorites at those positions) :

1. OLB - at least 2 of them to be fair Garrett and Tim Williams

2. ILB - Reuben Foster

3. RB - Nick Chubb

4. CB - Jalen Tabor

5. DL - Johnathan Allen - I just watched some film on him. He's a beast.

6. S - Jabrill Peppers

On 9/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, stitches said:

I think Tim Williams will be a more realistic target, unless we completely fall apart and pick top 5. 

If I had to rank our needs I'd go something like this(with my very early favorites at those positions) :

2. ILB - Reuben Foster

3. RB - Nick Chubb

4. CB - Jalen Tabor

6. S - Jabrill Peppers

Peppers is a clear 1st round pick...

Here is a question.  Considering how long we've been without a dominate pass rusher and how much we all know it would change our defense if we had one.

Should we go for broke and try and trade up to get Myles Garrett?  

I'm guessing it would probably cost us at least a 2017 2nd rounder and a 2018 1st.  So the price would be pretty steep.  

Also I have to say if we don't get Garrett I'm sort of ok if we spend a 1st rounder on an RB.  

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Here is a question.  Considering how long we've been without a dominate pass rusher and how much we all know it would change our defense if we had one.

Should we go for broke and try and trade up to get Myles Garrett?  

I'm guessing it would probably cost us at least a 2017 2nd rounder and a 2018 1st.  So the price would be pretty steep.  

Also I have to say if we don't get Garrett I'm sort of ok if we spend a 1st rounder on an RB.  

I think we have way too many other needs for us to sacrifice multiple high picks for 1 player. I think this year's pass rushing class is much better than last year and we will probably have the chance to pick a good one even in the mid teens.

On 9/22/2016 at 6:43 PM, Carlos Danger said:

I still doubt that we pick that high, but I'd be all for getting Garrett if it were somehow possible. 

I'd rank our 2017 needs as follows:

1. OLB

2. Outside Corner

3. ILB

4. RB

You can't rank the needs this time. They're all equally important except for maybe LB since our safeties can play in the box. But we need pass rushers, a top RB, and a CB equally as bad. They should draft the BPA at those positions as they come up.

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can't rank the needs this time. They're all equally important except for maybe LB since our safeties can play in the box. But we need pass rushers, a top RB, and a CB equally as bad. They should draft the BPA at those positions as they come up.

If you're a BPA believer than your argument holds up no matter what our needs are....

But, as to your line I put into bold,  that pass rush, a RB and a CB are all equal needs.....    I don't think that's true at all.      I don't even think it's a little bit true.

I think pass rush,  preferably from the OLB spot,  but pass rush is the clear top priority.     Right now we're one of the worst team rushing the QB in the entire NFL.     And next year,  we'll likely be without Mathis and Cole.

We need a pass rush desperately.

As to RB and CB....    I think those two needs are somewhat closer,  but I would put RB as the next priority because we should still have Davis, Cromartie and Robinson next year.       So, I'm OK with CB as our 3rd need.

But we'll need someone to eventually replace Gore and fortunately this is a fantastic class of RB's and I suspect there will be one there for us in the 50's when I suspect we'll pick in the 2nd round.

And we'll likely have two picks in the 4th round for the loss of Fleener.

Hopefully we'll address our defense and our running game in 2017.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're a BPA believer than your argument holds up no matter what our needs are....

But, as to your line I put into bold,  that pass rush, a RB and a CB are all equal needs.....    I don't think that's true at all.      I don't even think it's a little bit true.

I think pass rush,  preferably from the OLB spot,  but pass rush is the clear top priority.     Right now we're one of the worst team rushing the QB in the entire NFL.     And next year,  we'll likely be without Mathis and Cole.

We need a pass rush desperately.

As to RB and CB....    I think those two needs are somewhat closer,  but I would put RB as the next priority because we should still have Davis, Cromartie and Robinson next year.       So, I'm OK with CB as our 3rd need.

But we'll need someone to eventually replace Gore and fortunately this is a fantastic class of RB's and I suspect there will be one there for us in the 50's when I suspect we'll pick in the 2nd round.

And we'll likely have two picks in the 4th round for the loss of Fleener.

Hopefully we'll address our defense and our running game in 2017.

I get what you're saying. We literally haven't been able muster up anything resembling a pass rush In awhile. My point was more that if we have to make a choice between a position in each round that we don't have to say "No we have to get this position ".  Like if it's a choice between Fournette or Cooke vs a pass rusher round 1, we don't have to go OLB. Go BPA at needed positions. If there's a CB there they have ranked higher, take him. Plus this draft is deep at those 3 positions.

On 9/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, stitches said:

2. ILB - Reuben Foster

3. RB - Nick Chubb

4. CB - Jalen Tabor

6. S - Jabrill Peppers

I like all of these. Really like Tim Williams but I think he'll end up top 10 along with Garrett. Like Peppers (also a strong top 10 candidate) a lot but that may end up being a luxury pick. Still have to take him if he falls IMO.

Thought I saw Chubb got hurt again last weekend? Anyone seen a prognosis? My top 2 RB's in order would be Cook then Freeman.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I get what you're saying. We literally haven't been able muster up anything resembling a pass rush In awhile. My point was more that if we have to make a choice between a position in each round that we don't have to say "No we have to get this position ".  Like if it's a choice between Fournette or Cooke vs a pass rusher round 1, we don't have to go OLB. Go BPA at needed positions. If there's a CB there they have ranked higher, take him. Plus this draft is deep at those 3 positions.

I love all these running backs in this class,  but I confess taking one in the first round makes me very, VERY nervous.

If we're not taking a pass rush in the first, and I'll be shocked if we don't,   then some other defensive position.   So, I'll call it Best DEFENSIVE Player Available.     We have to finally invest in that side of the ball.

We've mostly ignored that side of the ball for 5 years.   If we ever want to get good on that side of the ball we have to use premium picks on defense.

Here's mine, though I think we'll win the division and not draft this high...

14: R1P14
EDGE DEREK BARNETT
TENNESSEE
46: R2P14
CB SIDNEY JONES
WASHINGTON
78: R3P14
LB JARRAD DAVIS
FLORIDA
116: R4P14
EDGE JACOB PUGH
FLORIDA STATE
142: R4P40
RB SHOCK LINWOOD
BAYLOR
156: R5P14
S JORDAN STERNS
OKLAHOMA STATE
193: R6P14
OT COLE CROSTON
IOWA

Love the value of the Jarrad Davis pick.  I like our OL depth going into next year, but Croston is one of those interchangeable pieces that would help keep us from depth problems in the future...

On 9/30/2016 at 1:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I love all these running backs in this class,  but I confess taking one in the first round makes me very, VERY nervous.

If we're not taking a pass rush in the first, and I'll be shocked if we don't,   then some other defensive position.   So, I'll call it Best DEFENSIVE Player Available.     We have to finally invest in that side of the ball.

We've mostly ignored that side of the ball for 5 years.   If we ever want to get good on that side of the ball we have to use premium picks on defense.

The more I watch of the Colts this year, the more I can't see us taking a RB in the first. So, I'm with you on that one. The only scenario where I would even consider it is if Dalvin Cook falls. The other two main guys (Fournette, McCaffrey) aren't a perfect fit in our system so I don't think you can use a 1st on them with the other guys that will be on board.

If you can go OLB and CB/ILB in the 2nd, I would jump on a RB in the 3rd. My favorite guy at the moment in that range is Wayne Gallman. He reminds me a little bit of David Johnson. A workhorse guy with a ton of size and the ability to receive out of the backfield and block for the QB. He's often the lead blocker for Watson in Clemson's run game, so he knows how to move people out of the way. You could look at his stats and say he isn't a receiving back, but I think Clemson does a poor job of utilizing him in the passing game just because they need his blocking ability in the backfield.

Here's a fairly realistic draft I did. I like all of these guys and they all fill a need. I chose three CBs because they were the BPA and we need to retool the secondary anyway. 

EDGE CHARLES HARRIS
MISSOURI
42: R2P10

CB MARLON HUMPHREY
ALABAMA
74: R3P10

RB WAYNE GALLMAN
CLEMSON
112: R4P10

EDGE RYAN ANDERSON
ALABAMA
142: R4P40

CB CHIDOBE AWUZLE
COLORADO
152: R5P10

CB TIM HARRIS
VIRGINIA
189: R6P10

WR RYAN SWITZER
NORTH CAROLINA

• 1 month later...

I decided to do a mock after the college football regular season is over. I did the mock on fanspeak with fanspeak's draft board. Here's what I got:

13: R1P13
LB JABRILL PEPPERS
MICHIGAN
45: R2P13
EDGE CHARLES HARRIS
MISSOURI
77: R3P13
RB KAREEM HUNT
TOLEDO
116: R4P13
EDGE TAKKARIST MCKINLEY
UCLA
142: R4P39
S MARCUS WILLIAMS
UTAH
155: R5P13
DL DERRICK NNADL
FLORIDA STATE
192: R6P13
CB KEVIN KING
WASHINGTON

1.OLB

2.ILB

3.CB

4.D Line

The O Line has not shown the ability to run or pass block well for any meaningful stretch of time despite a 2-3 game stretch earlier in the season where they were running blocking like they cared about that part of the job. They block like they don't care much of the time now so its really a matter of what round do you want to spend on a rb to sacrifice to the clown car full of O Linemen we have besides Kelly and Mewhort

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

1.OLB

2.ILB

3.CB

4.D Line

The O Line has not shown the ability to run or pass block well for any meaningful stretch of time despite a 2-3 game stretch earlier in the season where they were running blocking like they cared about that part of the job. They block like they don't care much of the time now so its really a matter of what round do you want to spend on a rb to sacrifice to the clown car full of O Linemen we have besides Kelly and Mewhort

Nice.      Any mock with that kind of commitment to defense captures my attention right away and is much appreciated and respected by me....

For some food for thought,  I'd like to offer something like this...

1.  OLB

2.  CB

3.   ILB

4.   RB

4.   OL

5.   Safety

6.   RB

7.   DL

The OLB seems obvious to me.     And because I think a corner is more vital than an ILB,  I'd take one higher than the other.    But a 3 for an ILB seems reasonable.    And I think it's a good group for corners and ILB's.

A 4 for a RB is as low as I have mocked.    I think there will be a good RB available there, but i won't complain if we take the RB in the 3rd.     I had not mocked the Colts with an OL this year.   But the run blocking the last few weeks has been so awful.    And while it's a terrible year for tackles,  I've read it's a good year for guards and centers,   so I'd be happy to grab one at the end of the 4th with the Fleener pick.

At the 5th,  I've prioritized a safety over a DL only because I want to be more athletic as soon as possible.   I think that athleticism shows up sooner at Safety than it does on the D-line.    Plus,  I see the top-7 DL all coming back next year.     I think our DL next year could be sneaky good.

At the 6 spot,  I want another RB from this class.    I see so many solid backs that could go from rounds 3-5,  that I think a number of them will fall to the 6th round where we can grab a better back than we would normally expect to be available.

And at the 7th spot,  a DL, preferably a NT with some size.    Perhaps another guy along the lines of Kerr that we could stash on the PS for a year.

Anyway..........   we'll get really serious about mocks in about a month or so when almost all of the Bowl Games are over....

Just wanted to share this with you because I know how much you like this stuff....      Hope I didn't waste your time.....

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice.      Any mock with that kind of commitment to defense captures my attention right away and is much appreciated and respected by me....

For some food for thought,  I'd like to offer something like this...

1.  OLB

2.  CB

3.   ILB

4.   RB

4.   OL

5.   Safety

6.   RB

7.   DL

The OLB seems obvious to me.     And because I think a corner is more vital than an ILB,  I'd take one higher than the other.    But a 3 for an ILB seems reasonable.    And I think it's a good group for corners and ILB's.

A 4 for a RB is as low as I have mocked.    I think there will be a good RB available there, but i won't complain if we take the RB in the 3rd.     I had not mocked the Colts with an OL this year.   But the run blocking the last few weeks has been so awful.    And while it's a terrible year for tackles,  I've read it's a good year for guards and centers,   so I'd be happy to grab one at the end of the 4th with the Fleener pick.

At the 5th,  I've prioritized a safety over a DL only because I want to be more athletic as soon as possible.   I think that athleticism shows up sooner at Safety than it does on the D-line.    Plus,  I see the top-7 DL all coming back next year.     I think our DL next year could be sneaky good.

At the 6 spot,  I want another RB from this class.    I see so many solid backs that could go from rounds 3-5,  that I think a number of them will fall to the 6th round where we can grab a better back than we would normally expect to be available.

And at the 7th spot,  a DL, preferably a NT with some size.    Perhaps another guy along the lines of Kerr that we could stash on the PS for a year.

Anyway..........   we'll get really serious about mocks in about a month or so when almost all of the Bowl Games are over....

Just wanted to share this with you because I know how much you like this stuff....      Hope I didn't waste your time.....

I just don't see that we can get Cover ILB past the 2nd. ILB's that can cover and move with speed and agility are being coveted by smart teams in my opinion more and more now. The 2 down thumper ILB's are not being forgotten so much of course or phased out but they certainly don't hold as much value as they used to unless your the Colts

Corner is definitely a need and a high priority need at that HOWEVER I think we will be content to stick with Robinson at #2 (which is where the obvious need is) and I think Butler should be brought back as of now. Rashaan Melvin has shown to be able to play in the slot and as a #2 in most matchups when Robinson cant handle it

I really think we can get a solid man cover corner in round 3-4-5

Running Back should be priority but Frank Gore still has another year on his deal so he will be back. They wont cut ties with him with 1 year left. I also like Turbin though he has been given little chance this year to show what he can do. He is an all around Back whos being way underutilized not because of lack of talent but because Gore has done a fine job.......Even if he didn't I don't see Pagano sitting him a few more run plays for Turbin given they(Gore/Pagano) have a history unless he was made to from above his head

If we double up on a position and don't do so collecting more picks then I think OLB/ILB/CB/S/D Line is the way to go. RG is still undetermined. Good was handed the job on a silver platter in my opinion when Thornton just got hurt again. I expect Thornton will get a chance in the pre season next year and if he stays healthy and in good shape like the shape he showed up to camp before he got hurt this year then I expect we have our RG because I think his breakdowns came from just wearing down late in games more so than mental breakdown after mental breakdown. If they were so gung ho about wanting to move on from him they had plenty of chance to do so in the preseason

I'm all for drafting a G but I really think Thornton will turn that corner once healthy

14 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I just don't see that we can get Cover ILB past the 2nd. ILB's that can cover and move with speed and agility are being coveted by smart teams in my opinion more and more now. The 2 down thumper ILB's are not being forgotten so much of course or phased out but they certainly don't hold as much value as they used to unless your the Colts

Corner is definitely a need and a high priority need at that HOWEVER I think we will be content to stick with Robinson at #2 (which is where the obvious need is) and I think Butler should be brought back as of now. Rashaan Melvin has shown to be able to play in the slot and as a #2 in most matchups when Robinson cant handle it

Running Back should be priority but Frank Gore still has another year on his deal so he will be back. They wont cut ties with him with 1 year left. I also like Turbin though he has been given little chance this year to show what he can do. He is an all around Back whos being way underutilized not because of lack of talent but because Gore has done a fine job.......Even if he didn't I don't see Pagano sitting him a few more run plays for Turbin given they(Gore/Pagano) have a history unless he was made to from above his head

If we double up on a position and don't do so collecting more picks then I think OLB/ILB/CB/S/D Line is the way to go. RG is still undetermined. Good was handed the job on a silver platter in my opinion when Thornton just got hurt again. I expect Thornton will get a chance in the pre season next year and if he stays healthy and in good shape like the shape he showed up to camp before he got hurt this year then I expect we have our RG because I think his breakdowns came from just wearing down late in games more so than mental breakdown after mental breakdown. If they were so gung ho about wanting to move on from him they had plenty of chance to do so in the preseason

I'm all for drafting a G but I really think Thornton will turn that corner once healthy

Two points jump out....    One,  drafting a RB does not mean we get rid of Gore.    I expect Gore back next year, if for no other reason than to show the new RB's how to be a pro's pro.    But Gore would likely still be the lead back with the rookie the #2.

As for the guard....   Thornton's contract is done this year.    To bring him back we have to re-sign him and after this year and another injury,  I'm just not sure how much interest there is in doing that?     I've always liked Thornton but he's rarely been healthy long enough to deliver.     So, I don't know what happens there.....?

On 12/3/2016 at 11:32 PM, Gavin said:

I think you are absolutely right about ILB. I think it's as important as an Edge to get an ILB that can play sideline to sideline  and cover. We have to upgrade and get speed there. I would not have a problem if we took a guy like Cunningham in the 1st. I think this D needs the best ILB we can get our hands on. I'd bring in a FA too.

The Edge class is deep this year. There will be solid options after round 1. I don't think we should draft an Edge unless he's the BFA. ILB, CB, DL really any defender I'm fine with in the 1st. A RB not so much Cook is the only one I consider. 

There are some guys I like at Edge that don't go in the 1st. Two that I'll keep a eye on are Jordan Willis He is going to blow up at the combine probably go day 2 Harold Landry is a guy I really like too. 

I agree we can get a CB at the end of day 2 or early day 3. Awukie Summers Thomas are guys I like. Corn Elder is a guy that goes Day 3 because of size 5'10 but he tackles 12 vs UNC and can stick to WR's. I really like this kid. 

RB I wait until day 3. A guy like Mixon or Hunt. I would keep an eye on OG and DL along the way. I don't think Thorton is resigned. We still have a hole at RG