Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver QBs

oldunclemark

Watching their pre-season game with SF,.  cant choose between the 3 candidates.. 

Mark Sanchez has the experience...but he still holds the ball too long and makes some indecisive throws....everybody knows where he's at

Trevor Simien knows Kubiak's offense the best and he seem s confident but he's obviously never played...

Paxton Lynch is the most gifted of the 3....best scrambler ...best arm..but he's an NFL rookie and that's usually doom for the team

..who would you pick to open against Carolina in a Super Bowl rematch?

32 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Watching their pre-season game with SF,.  cant choose between the 3 candidates.. 

Mark Sanchez has the experience...but he still holds the ball too long and makes some indecisive throws....everybody knows where he's at

Trevor Simien knows Kubiak's offense the best and he seem s confident but he's obviously never played...

Paxton Lynch is the most gifted of the 3....best scrambler ...best arm..but he's an NFL rookie and that's usually doom for the team

I would throw the rookie to the wolfs you don't get better as a QB by sitting on the bench watching.

I'm starting to say the same thing. I'm watching the SF-Denver replay and Mark Sanchez isn't clearly the best of the '3' so you might put him in the bullpen and use him if/when you fall behind.

Simien was the only one who has been coached up by Kubiak;s staff so he know the playbook.

he got a close up look at all his teammates19 times and he was in the QB room.

But I never saw Lynch in college.  He is so big and fast....and he's eventually going to be the guy

He's clearly going to be the guy down the line..He' too gifted to sit....for long..

at home...he would have a very loud fan base behind   (they don't seem to like sanchez much) him

Denver's problem is comparable to how to remove skunk stink. The fact will prove to be they simply don't have anyone at the QB position to carry them to even a 500 season much less the playoffs. All success will come from the defense. How many try outs do you give Sanchez? Compare him to Tevo. Play Simien and train the rookie for the entire year and start him  next season. It's a no win situation.  

Unless Mark straightens up and doesn't turn it over any more (fat chance based on history) Trevor gets the nod to start in my mind.  Lynch only gets in when he knows the complete playbook back and forth and has shown confidence under center in 3, 5, and 7 step drops and is in timing and making his progressions.  I highly doubt he is close to ready yet.  But when he is.... lookout.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have full confidence we'll go into Denver and win that game.  It'll be just like the San Francisco game.

I do too. I don't think Denver fans realize how much Peyton not being there will hurt them. I understand statistically he threw a lot of INT's and looked bad at times but anyone with a high Football IQ knows how important he was to that team, calling plays, changing plays, and playing smart in the Playoffs. Good luck Denver with Buttfumble and a bunch of no-namers haha. They will be lucky if they make the Playoffs.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do too. I don't think Denver fans realize how much Peyton not being there will hurt them. I understand statistically he threw a lot of INT's and looked bad at times but anyone with a high Football IQ knows how important he was to that team, calling plays, changing plays, and playing smart in the Playoffs. Good luck Denver with Buttfumble and a bunch of no-namers haha. They will be lucky if they make the Playoffs.

Certain level of respect you have to pay to Peyton defensively even though he was declining. 

On 8/21/2016 at 6:10 PM, oldunclemark said:

Trevor Simien is lookin' good.

That defense is good, but we've always had success against Wade Phillips and Kubiak. It's just a fact. Even last year we had those guys I believe 24-0 going into half time before we got that kick returned on us.  Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett match up well with Denvers secondary.  I like our chances quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Certain level of respect you have to pay to Peyton defensively even though he was declining. 

Yep. Belichick going for it on 4th downs in the Title Game, etc.. When Peyton is out there you never know so the opposing Coaches are always nervous with 18 back there. I seriously doubt Belichick or Tomlin or even Pagano is worried about Sanchez or whoever they have.

I think they start the season with Sanchez. He is the only one with live NFL game experience. Preseason doesn't count. The coverages, blitzs, schemes get exponentially more difficult in the regular season. The defense is relentless and the pressure just builds. Of course I have no faith that Sanchez will give them a whole lot but Simien I don't think is ready to take on a starting role and face the exotic looks that he will see from most NFL defensive coordinators. I think they would come back to Simien if/when Sanchez starts to fail them. Basically to give the team a boost at the position...perhaps week 5 or 6. I don't see much of a chance Lynch sees the football field this year unless they are out of the playoff race down the stretch. There is so much more to QB play then just the numbers. Something we saw last year with Peyton. Sometimes its confidence to the rest of the team that if they just do their job the qb will find a way to win it (like Peyton did a few games) and also the qb getting people in the right position and right place to make a play successful which Peyton did a lot. I think they follow the model they had last year. They know what they have in Sanchez...he should be the most consistent and "should" make the fewest mistakes giving their defense a chance to help them win games. If they need a boost off the bench they will bring in Simien to see if he can give them a spark with his legs and play making ability. I know they are starting him in week 3 but I think its to see what he can do against more typical #1s. If they all continue to struggle equally it would likely be Sanchez to start imo. He is the safest choice because while he isn't going to be a long term solution you know what your getting. He should have command of the offense...move it up and down the field but yes will throw some turnovers in there too....but Simien is totally unproven in live fire regular season football. They have too much talent to risk throwing away a playoff team by taking the chance on him right away. 

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Trevor Simien is lookin' good.

I think the fact that he is starting the 3rd game is saying what they're not saying.

He's the only one who's spent a year in Kubiak's offense..and we know from last year..

Gary K. wants HIS offense run..

Lynch is very interesting but the start of the season for them is to tough..

....If they don't think they can win playoff games with sanchez at the end of the year..then use him as the backup

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. Belichick going for it on 4th downs in the Title Game, etc.. When Peyton is out there you never know so the opposing Coaches are always nervous with 18 back there. I seriously doubt Belichick or Tomlin or even Pagano is worried about Sanchez or whoever they have.

Denver sure wont miss 2015 Peyton in the first 3 quarters but they'll miss him in the 4th period

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Denver sure wont miss 2015 Peyton in the first 3 quarters but they'll miss him in the 4th period

Like I have stated several times on here, Denver doesn't win the SB without 18. Oz would've pooped his pants vs NE in a Championship atmosphere. Denver has a Great Defense so they still may squeak into the Playoffs but I think KC wins that Division. People can say all they want that Peyton was lousy in the SB, blah blah blah. He was Good against the Patriots and that was the real SB. Patriots would've beat the Panthers as well. Cam was a joke in the SB.

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I have stated several times on here, Denver doesn't win the SB without 18. Oz would've pooped his pants vs NE in a Championship atmosphere. Denver has a Great Defense so they still may squeak into the Playoffs but I think KC wins that Division. People can say all they want that Peyton was lousy in the SB, blah blah blah. He was Good against the Patriots and that was the real SB. Patriots would've beat the Panthers as well. Cam was a joke in the SB.

as you might guess..I have  those game son tape.

Peyton was strong in the AFC title game....they played with the lead so they didn't attack most of the second half.....but he was outstanding that game..

In the Super Bowl....he quarterbacked a team most said would lose...they never trailed...after the first drive.

He did enough..and his team believed he had enough...

.....That belief that a 40-year old guy could get them to the finish line.  They had faith in him.

H earned that faith.........I thought the last 4 games were his finest hour...

...and in a way...I understand why Brock didn't want to follow that

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

as you might guess..I have  those game son tape.

Peyton was strong in the AFC title game....they played with the lead so they didn't attack most of the second half.....but he was outstanding that game..

In the Super Bowl....he quarterbacked a team most said would lose...they never trailed...after the first drive.

He did enough..and his team believed he had enough...

.....That belief that a 40-year old guy could get them to the finish line.  They had faith in him.

H earned that faith.........I thought the last 4 games were his finest hour...

...and in a way...I understand why Brock didn't want to follow that

I am not even sure Oz would've beat the Steelers. Steelers played the Broncos closely.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not even sure Oz would've beat the Steelers. Steelers played the Broncos closely.

That 3rd and 16 (or was it 3rd and 12) pass while down 12-13 to the Steelers to Fowler from Peyton in the 4th qtr. was probably the best and key moment in that game. Frankly, I didn't think that conversion was going to happen. That set up the Broncos to keep the drive alive, go up 20-13 and then the D took over.

On NFL network they posted their pre-season stats and Lynch had the best passer rating of the 3. . . just a little bit higher then Sanchez's.  

Obviously we arn't seeing what's happening in practice but if it's anything close to equal then start the rookie.

I think you can learn some things from the bench and in practice.  But you can learn all of that and more by actually getting in the game.  

Yes you are going to take some lumps in doing it but honestly how many more mistakes is Lynch going to make over Sanchez?  Sanchez is at his ceiling, he's not getting any better.  Lynch is a rookie. . . no idea what his ceiling is yet.  But if he's close to Sanchez is now, lets get him in the game and find out.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

On NFL network they posted their pre-season stats and Lynch had the best passer rating of the 3. . . just a little bit higher then Sanchez's.  

Obviously we arn't seeing what's happening in practice but if it's anything close to equal then start the rookie.

I think you can learn some things from the bench and in practice.  But you can learn all of that and more by actually getting in the game.  

Yes you are going to take some lumps in doing it but honestly how many more mistakes is Lynch going to make over Sanchez?  Sanchez is at his ceiling, he's not getting any better.  Lynch is a rookie. . . no idea what his ceiling is yet.  But if he's close to Sanchez is now, lets get him in the game and find out.  

I think it also matters who you want to bring off the bench....

Sanchez doesn't have mobility...you cant bring him in with the team down 10 against the pass rush

Simien and Lynch are much more mobile

..also..the play package is probably simpler for a QB in a relief role.

Simien knows the offense..the other 2 don't..

I don't know if Lynch knows the offense...but, as you say, Lynch has a 4-yaer deal. hell be here next ywear Sanchez wont be and Simien may not be

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would bet Simein starts the season opener

I am not sure you really want to go with Mark Sanchez. Even if he has the experience and sometimes does OK, you just know he is going to mess up. It's going to happen.......just wait for it.

I don't know enough about the other two guys they have. I guess they are going to have this big battle with equal playing time tomorrow night.

But, like a few have said.....the Broncos are going to have to live and die by defense unless there is a shocker.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

I am not sure you really want to go with Mark Sanchez. Even if he has the experience and sometimes does OK, you just know he is going to mess up. It's going to happen.......just wait for it.

I don't know enough about the other two guys they have. I guess they are going to have this big battle with equal playing time tomorrow night.

But, like a few have said.....the Broncos are going to have to live and die by defense unless there is a shocker.

Yep. Their QB situation is a mess. Elway is probably content for at least this season after winning the SB and will just see what he has with the QB's he has. Broncos are not a shoe in to make the Playoffs anymore without Peyton there no matter how great their D is. You still need a QB that can give your team faith and find ways to win come crunch time. Their season will be interesting considering the Chiefs and Raiders are no joke.

On 8/21/2016 at 10:36 PM, jvan1973 said:

The Broncos are doomed on offense.   They have to hope the defense can win them games

And they better considering they paid Von Miller QB-money. Time for him to keep stepping up and prove he deserves it. Even if injured, he better rub some salt on it and get out there.

Nothing was decide in the third game to my eyes..

except that Siemien started the game and Paxton Lynch came on in the second half..

I would assume that since Siemien started the 3rd game..that he will start the season.

he's steady and calm....they don't need a big time playmaker.....the defense is still there