Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Classic Johnny Football Suspended Four Games

Andrew Luck's Beard

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After reading this I have a hard time believing it's credibility. I have never heard the NFL giving a suspension out and then not enforce it the next year. Something is fishy with this IMO.

How many players get suspended that are free agents and have virtually zero chance of being signed that year?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

who's the bigger bust....Ryan Leaf or Johnny Football.........

I don't think that's really a question.  I'd say it's Leaf by a large margin.  I'd even put Jamarcus Russell ahead of Manziel

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How many players get suspended that are free agents and have virtually zero chance of being signed that year?

It seems Manziel did receive a suspension but my thing is what TMZ reported. They stated if he didn't play for the year the suspension wouldn't be enforced. That's the part that don't seem correct to me. I have never known the NFL to just lift a suspension because of time. In the past I recall the suspension had to be served no matter pending the results of an appeal. Then he might be facing an additional suspension if he is guilty of the domestic violence charge.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

It seems Manziel did receive a suspension but my thing is what TMZ reported. They stated if he didn't play for the year the suspension wouldn't be enforced. That's the part that don't seem correct to me. I have never known the NFL to just lift a suspension because of time. In the past I recall the suspension had to be served no matter pending the results of an appeal. Then he might be facing an additional suspension if he is guilty of the domestic violence charge.

I think that meant that his four-game suspension would be count as "served" after the first four weeks of the season. Meaning that if he didn't sign with a team, he'd be "serving" the suspension during free agency.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Luck's Beard said:

I think that meant that his four-game suspension would be count as "served" after the first four weeks of the season. Meaning that if he didn't sign with a team, he'd be "serving" the suspension during free agency.

I could be mistaken but I don't think suspensions can be served as a free agent.

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

you think there was more hype around Manziel than there was around Leaf?

That's a good question. It was kind of hard to top the Manning-Leaf hype. I think Manziel will be remembered but the Manning-Leaf hype is almost legendary.

The hideous thing about this fool is the time bomb is set and the media loves it. This is not a story of one man's struggle to get straight rather a story of a plane with a time bomb on board. The bottom lie is $$$ and if the self destructive clown can sell tickets to bolster a teams bank account they will give him a helmet with their logo on it and he will be on display next to the sword swallower's tent. Tragic.

9 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Technically, I could see why he'd say that, because during Manziel, we had Twitter, Facebook, etc. When Ryan Leaf was being drafted, it was the year 1998. Thinking back to 1998, I think I had a 56k dial-up modem, so it was harder to share in those discussions without social media platforms.

I feel like College football has also grown a lot more since then, and with high-speed Internet and YouTube, it's easier than ever to pull up game tape highlights on athletes. Johnny Manziel was like a superhuman highlight reel, which helped drive a lot of his popularity. Even during his limited time at the NFL level, you could see moments of his athleticism that made him so exciting.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, csmopar said:

who's the bigger bust....Ryan Leaf or Johnny Football.........

Ryan Leaf by a wide margin. Many thought he would be better than Peyton coming out of college. Most people never thought Manziel would be more than a serviceable QB that would maybe have some good moments, except if your Skip Bayless.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:16 PM, Jason_S said:

No. But imagine if Manziel had been in the class with rG3 and Luck.... the hype then would have been huge. 

there is no way to really quantify hype, they all got plenty of air time on espn

i wouldnt be surprised if more was written and said about manziel because of the different era of social media, and the simple fact that there are more people and more sports fans in the world today

On 6/30/2016 at 8:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I could be mistaken but I don't think suspensions can be served as a free agent.

Yeah they can.  I'm actually not bothered by that.  Anyone who's still a free agent when the season rolls around is a player that's not likely to find a team anyways.  

Why hamper what little hope they have left of finding a team by making those suspensions stick with them for that length of time.  

On 7/2/2016 at 2:54 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan Leaf by a wide margin. Many thought he would be better than Peyton coming out of college. Most people never thought Manziel would be more than a serviceable QB that would maybe have some good moments, except if your Skip Bayless.

To the bolded, THAT'S why I think there was much more hype around Leaf than Manziel.  Manziel wasn't even considered the best QB in his draft class and he wound up as a late 1st round pick..passed on by several QB needy teams. 

On 7/2/2016 at 5:45 PM, csmopar said:

No. But imagine if Manziel had been in the class with rG3 and Luck.... the hype then would have been huge. 

If Manziel had been in the 2012 draft class, he'd have been lucky to have been a 3rd round pick.  Guys like Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins and Brock Osweiler got virtually zero hype and they were better QBs coming out of college than Manziel was.  I do honestly think that Johnny would have been an after-thought had he been in that same 2012 class.  

I can understand where you were coming from earlier after Remedry's post...I do think it's hard to quantify hype, especially when we could be talking about hype from different sources.  I'm more referring to what was expected of the player as they were entering the league (based on scouting reports, etc...not fan hype).  So back to the Leaf vs. Manziel question, I think a lot more was expected of Leaf coming into the league...there were legitimate questions about whether or not he was truly a better QB than Manning.  there would have never been that type of question around Manziel.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah they can.  I'm actually not bothered by that.  Anyone who's still a free agent when the season rolls around is a player that's not likely to find a team anyways.  

Why hamper what little hope they have left of finding a team by making those suspensions stick with them for that length of time.  

According to BleachReport Manziel will have to serve the suspension unless the NFL lifts it. I highly doubt that is going to happen. If he is convicted of domestic abuse he will have more suspended games added to his 4 game suspension. The TMZ report was not correct.

On 7/5/2016 at 11:34 AM, Jason_S said:

To the bolded, THAT'S why I think there was much more hype around Leaf than Manziel.  Manziel wasn't even considered the best QB in his draft class and he wound up as a late 1st round pick..passed on by several QB needy teams. 

If Manziel had been in the 2012 draft class, he'd have been lucky to have been a 3rd round pick.  Guys like Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins and Brock Osweiler got virtually zero hype and they were better QBs coming out of college than Manziel was.  I do honestly think that Johnny would have been an after-thought had he been in that same 2012 class.  

I can understand where you were coming from earlier after Remedry's post...I do think it's hard to quantify hype, especially when we could be talking about hype from different sources.  I'm more referring to what was expected of the player as they were entering the league (based on scouting reports, etc...not fan hype).  So back to the Leaf vs. Manziel question, I think a lot more was expected of Leaf coming into the league...there were legitimate questions about whether or not he was truly a better QB than Manning.  there would have never been that type of question around Manziel.  

Nah he likely would have gone in the first round to the Browns.  They likely would have chosen him over Brandon Weeden.  

• 2 months later...