Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why doesnt the nfl make a 2nd league?

bap1331

One where the reserves and 3rd stringers can showcase themselves. Any of these players can possibly be the next tom brady or russell wilson.

Also the best way to beat time until september. Nba does it with the d league.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In the NFL's mind,  the "other league" is called college football,  where the NFL doesn't have to pay a penny.

If another league is needed,  the NFL recommends the CFL,   where the NFL doesn't have to pay a penny.

The now defunct Arena football didn't cost the NFL a penny.

The only football the NFL paid anything toward was NFL-Europe,  and that LOST MONEY.    So, it died.

I see a potential opportunity for an alternative to college football. Right now, after high school the only route into the NFL is through college.

What if a league was created that catered to young adults looking to showcase their talents without having to go to college and without having to deal with the archaic NCAA rules. Athletes can actually get paid while playing. It would draw all of the best up and coming athletes and ruin the current college game.

Exactly...that's what NFL Europe was....and for younger boys..that's what college is

..But a league of 18, 19 years olds that does not give thm any future if they cant make it or get hurt...?

I dont wa nt that

I hear you...

But right now many don't get a chance because they cannot get into college. This type of league would give them a chance and would offer payment for playing, unlike college. If they get hurt at a young age, then they can apply for college for an education.

I see a potential opportunity for an alternative to college football. Right now, after high school the only route into the NFL is through college.

What if a league was created that catered to young adults looking to showcase their talents without having to go to college and without having to deal with the archaic NCAA rules. Athletes can actually get paid while playing. It would draw all of the best up and coming athletes and ruin the current college game.

Because what do they get if they get hurt or dont make the NFL..and cant get a college degree..

You'd use up boys and dump them on the street with no money and no future at age 20..

Those archaic NCAA rules are a good thing

I hear you...

But right now many don't get a chance because they cannot get into college. This type of league would give them a chance and would offer payment for playing, unlike college. If they get hurt at a young age, then they can apply for college for an education.

How do you pay them...and if they fail...how do they pay for college

The tradeoff of college eduaction and a shot at the pros........for your ability to play football has worked for decades

If you get hurt or arent very good,..you still got a degree..

The system works...unless you have to pay the players which will close down small college programs

..Programs that send guys to the NFL

The tradeoff of college eduaction and a shot at the pros........for your ability to play football has worked for decades

If you get hurt or arent very good,..you still got a degree..

The system works...unless you have to pay the players which will close down small college programs

..Programs that send guys to the NFL

The system has worked....good for the college programs. It has produced graduates that have gone on to do great things with their degrees. But let's not pretend that it's a perfect system either. It has greatly taken advantage of "student athletes" for their own profit. 

The type of league that would be successful is an NFL league at the ages of 18-20. It would be in competition with college football. For those who prefer to play football for a degree, well have at it, play on a college team. But for those who want to play football and get paid for it, this would be an alternative. If they get hurt, their insurance would cover it, as with any other employee working for a company. If they can no longer play, then they are done. This league isn't a charity, it's a "for profit" league, meant to compete with college football and generate revenue.

And for those who are capable, they can play in this league and attend college.

Don't forget college. Why should the NFL pay for a league when the NCAA does?

Because the collage game increasingly isn't properly preparing players for the NFL. Add in the reduced practice time imposed by the new union deal, a developmental league is greatly needed.

If you have the talent every NFL team has a walk on program. There are a few semi pro teams still around. Just because you don't go to college does not disqualify you from an opportunity to develop. It's tough but if you have the talent it can be done.

The system has worked....good for the college programs. It has produced graduates that have gone on to do great things with their degrees. But let's not pretend that it's a perfect system either. It has greatly taken advantage of "student athletes" for their own profit. 

The type of league that would be successful is an NFL league at the ages of 18-20. It would be in competition with college football. For those who prefer to play football for a degree, well have at it, play on a college team. But for those who want to play football and get paid for it, this would be an alternative. If they get hurt, their insurance would cover it, as with any other employee working for a company. If they can no longer play, then they are done. This league isn't a charity, it's a "for profit" league, meant to compete with college football and generate revenue.

And for those who are capable, they can play in this league and attend college.

Flash man

There is no perfect system....but colleges pay for boys to play and get a degree..if they cant play

There is no minor league that's going to be able to afford to do that.

Minor league college age football wont draw flies......because it competes with the real colleges

People go see college football because of the college....not the boys who play..they come and go

No minor league would fly..because the money isn't there....and boys who fail would be tossed aside with nothing

Because the collage game increasingly isn't properly preparing players for the NFL. Add in the reduced practice time imposed by the new union deal, a developmental league is greatly needed.

I don't see how college fails to properly prepare boys for pro football.

....there's just no money in a develoepmental league...and injuries would just make in unworkable

I don't see how college fails to properly prepare boys for pro football.....there's just no money in a develoepmental league...and injuries would just make in unworkable

Gimmick offenses

Limited route trees

Running quarterbacks

Safeties that don't have to cover

Limited coverages...little press man

Many people, including Bill Polian, have called for a developmental league.

Why would injuries make a developmental league unworkable?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In the NFL's mind, the "other league" is called college football, where the NFL doesn't have to pay a penny.

If another league is needed, the NFL recommends the CFL, where the NFL doesn't have to pay a penny.

The now defunct Arena football didn't cost the NFL a penny.

The only football the NFL paid anything toward was NFL-Europe, and that LOST MONEY. So, it died.

It lost money because you sent a sport to countries who do not like to watch it...

Well...college is a great way to get the players educated but im talking about after college when they have potential but do not get a chance. Most of the time, they dont even get a chance to even step on the field...

It lost money because you sent a sport to countries who do not like to watch it...

You'd be surprised....  some European countries LOVE American Football.

That's why there's now going to be three games in England every year and not just one.

Soon,    there will be more.

Either way....   I was simply answering your question,  why doesn't the NFL build a minor leagues....

The answer is money.    With the NFL,  it's almost always about the money.

You'd be surprised....  some European countries LOVE American Football.

That's why there's now going to be three games in England every year and not just one.

Soon,    there will be more.

Either way....   I was simply answering your question,  why doesn't the NFL build a minor leagues....

The answer is money.    With the NFL,  it's almost always about the money.

You are 100% correct. It would take a lot of money to put together a minor league or whatever you wanted to call it. With the owners already having to put money into the lawsuits and automatically having to spend a set percentage on rosters I just don't think it will happen. We have already seen a couple of leagues go bankrupt and IMO it would happen again if tried.

Because it would be a failed venture.

The European Throwball league did not work in Europe for the reason real football exists over there that we call 'Soccer' (this is really a slang term for it, look up the origins) and to them, they find it far more entertaining than we do. I find it a shame that Football/Soccer isn't very popular in this country, cause at the end of the day it's a lot better than our football. The game is over within 2 hours and no commercials every 5 minutes to remind you what consumerist products you need to spend money on to show you're a true fan of the league. 

Why we call it football, I have no idea since only 2 players are allowed for their feet to touch the ball. Throwball is a more accurate term. 

Another reason is Rugby. American Football is really a micromanaging version of Rugby. If you like big hits and extreme gladiator violence, look up Rugby sometime. It's a bit more entertaining if violence is your cup of tea. (and for REAL MEN type people, the Rugby players do not wear pads or shoot up steroids and look like Arnold Schwarzenegger out there) 

Just because it works in Murica don't mean it's going to work in the rest of the world. 

It only works in Britain because the NFL has expanded there in an open market with London. Expansion is always on the mind of a billion dollar enterprise. That's simply how capitalism works in their favor. They don't to stop growing. All they think about is their profits. If they know they're not going to make a huge profit somewhere, they won't even bother. There is a reason that they constantly talk about moving an NFL team to San Antonio Texas or L.A.. It would work there (high schools are made to breed football players in the south). It would work in those cities much better than it would in London or Toronto. 

Internationally; the NFL will expand in Canada and Britain before they do Europe. That experiment failed in the 90's and they know better. 

As far as America is concerned, college football is going to end up becoming the future #2 sport. It's going to end up trumping the professional basketball and baseball leagues, since it's growing into a billion dollar empire. People like watching college jocks on the field throw balls around when they're not getting drunk and partying and enjoying their privilege of going to college for athletic purposes while all the other kids go into heavy debt for scholarships. Then when their NFL careers are over, most of them do not know what to do and end up going broke. That's why college reform needs to happen and they need to force the jocks to go into educational matters so they can be able to make a living doing something else after football is over with, since they have a shell career. Once they 

I'm willing to bet that most colleges in this country would totally go bankrupt without an athletic department. That's the only time people ever praise the college establishment. No one praises them for academics and education. You have Alabama in my state, who is an awful college in terms of academics, but I can't say anything without getting scorned about how awesome they are to make Nick Saban the highest paid public employee in the state, and they spend at least 4X more money on sports than they do on academics. (When a college football coach makes more money than anyone else at the college, including professors, that's down right insulting to education) 

College football really is the NFL's second league. It's treated as a religion too among maniac fans who are zealots of it. When Alabama loses, it's a national tragedy down here. I hear more about a team of young college students losing a football game than I hear about tornado disasters down here. 

A second league would be useful to professional leagues if they were using to bring in international players. Problem for the NFL is, American Football is not really beloved over seas like it is here. 

If Soccer/Football was as big here as it is overseas, you would probably see a second league where we try to steal international players the same way the Premier League in Britain does. 

To me, the smart thing to do is to get to work with the CFL. Invest in that league, help them pay their players a little better (a CFL player averages about $80K/year; an NFL practice squad player can make up to $102K/year without ever being on the active roster), work on some TV deals in the states to broadcast CFL games... then fringe NFL players will be more willing to go try the CFL for a year or two before jumping to the NFL.

The way it is now, if a player goes to the CFL, he misses the entire offseason program with an NFL team. Yet, 30% of players in the offseason program won't even make it on a practice squad. Most of those 30% have no shot at a final roster. They try to make it in the NFL in hopes that they can get a spot on a roster, maybe get to the active roster for a few weeks and make some extra money (one week at vet minimum on an NFL roster is 1/4 of the average CFL annual pay), etc. They chase the dream, even though the odds are well against them, because if they do make it, it's more lucrative and their foot is in the door. And they have to choose between one or the other. Also, once you sign in the CFL, you can't jump to the NFL unless your team agrees to terminate your contract.

If those two leagues could work some stuff out between the two of them, they'd both benefit. 

Because it would be a failed venture.

The European Throwball league did not work in Europe for the reason real football exists over there that we call 'Soccer' (this is really a slang term for it, look up the origins) and to them, they find it far more entertaining than we do. I find it a shame that Football/Soccer isn't very popular in this country, cause at the end of the day it's a lot better than our football. The game is over within 2 hours and no commercials every 5 minutes to remind you what consumerist products you need to spend money on to show you're a true fan of the league.

Why we call it football, I have no idea since only 2 players are allowed for their feet to touch the ball. Throwball is a more accurate term.

Another reason is Rugby. American Football is really a micromanaging version of Rugby. If you like big hits and extreme gladiator violence, look up Rugby sometime. It's a bit more entertaining if violence is your cup of tea. (and for REAL MEN type people, the Rugby players do not wear pads or shoot up steroids and look like Arnold Schwarzenegger out there)

Just because it works in Murica don't mean it's going to work in the rest of the world.

It only works in Britain because the NFL has expanded there in an open market with London. Expansion is always on the mind of a billion dollar enterprise. That's simply how capitalism works in their favor. They don't to stop growing. All they think about is their profits. If they know they're not going to make a huge profit somewhere, they won't even bother. There is a reason that they constantly talk about moving an NFL team to San Antonio Texas or L.A.. It would work there (high schools are made to breed football players in the south). It would work in those cities much better than it would in London or Toronto.

Internationally; the NFL will expand in Canada and Britain before they do Europe. That experiment failed in the 90's and they know better.

As far as America is concerned, college football is going to end up becoming the future #2 sport. It's going to end up trumping the professional basketball and baseball leagues, since it's growing into a billion dollar empire. People like watching college jocks on the field throw balls around when they're not getting drunk and partying and enjoying their privilege of going to college for athletic purposes while all the other kids go into heavy debt for scholarships. Then when their NFL careers are over, most of them do not know what to do and end up going broke. That's why college reform needs to happen and they need to force the jocks to go into educational matters so they can be able to make a living doing something else after football is over with, since they have a shell career. Once they

I'm willing to bet that most colleges in this country would totally go bankrupt without an athletic department. That's the only time people ever praise the college establishment. No one praises them for academics and education. You have Alabama in my state, who is an awful college in terms of academics, but I can't say anything without getting scorned about how awesome they are to make Nick Saban the highest paid public employee in the state, and they spend at least 4X more money on sports than they do on academics. (When a college football coach makes more money than anyone else at the college, including professors, that's down right insulting to education)

College football really is the NFL's second league. It's treated as a religion too among maniac fans who are zealots of it. When Alabama loses, it's a national tragedy down here. I hear more about a team of young college students losing a football game than I hear about tornado disasters down here.

A second league would be useful to professional leagues if they were using to bring in international players. Problem for the NFL is, American Football is not really beloved over seas like it is here.

If Soccer/Football was as big here as it is overseas, you would probably see a second league where we try to steal international players the same way the Premier League in Britain does.

It is truly the golden age of takes.