Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning, Brady , Vs Encase U Believe The Media Talk About How Rodgers Is Playing At "an Unheard Of Level".

bayone

• PLEASE USE link to properly see chart ,
  • I tried my best to edit but nothing worked

• Best season ever by a quarterback? Pick from:

. . -------------------- Yr Co Att C% ........Yrds TD Int Rat. Sks ... YPA ..... Sck Yrd ....... ANY /A

Tom Brady . . ..... 07 398 578 68.9% 4806 ....50 8 117.2 ....21 ..8.31 ....... 128 ............ 8.88

Peyton Manning.. 04 336 497 67.6% 4557 ...49 10 121.1 ' 13. ...9.17 .......101 ..............9.78

Aaron Rodgers ... 11 305 438 69.6% 4125 ... 39 6 123.3 '' 32 ....9.42 ........197 ...........9.44

It doesn't get much closer than that, so please, let's not talk about how Rodgers is playing at "an unheard of level". I'd say we've 'heard' this level before, and it wasn't that long ago. Still amazing that Manning did his in 15 games.

( when u consider the time he was pulled )

http://www.18to88.co...ad-what-if.html

• PLEASE USE link to properly see chart

Yr Co Att C% Yrds TD Int Rat. Sks YPA Sck Yrd ANY /A

Tom Brady . 07 398 578 68.9% 4806 50 8 117.2 21 8.31 128 8.88

Peyton Manning 04 336 497 67.6% 4557 49 10 121.1 13 9.17 101 9.78

Aaron Rodgers 11 305 438 69.6% 4125 39 6 123.3 32 9.42 197 9.44

It doesn't get much closer than that, so please, let's not talk about how Rodgers is playing at "an unheard of level". I'd say we've 'heard' this level before, and it wasn't that long ago. Still amazing that Manning did his in 15 games.

I'll take the guy who was basically taken out at the end of the 3rd quarter of basically every game. Lol. But that might just be my bias showing.

He's playing extremely well but its nothing new.

Lets not act like he's the greatest of all time. The talking heads just want another QB they can put on the same level as Manning, Brady, and Brees.

That's fine but I don't like how they overstate it.

Lets not act like he's the greatest of all time. The talking heads just want another QB they can put on the same level as Manning, Brady, and Brees.

& he has a d that lets him get back on the field faster

Take it as you will but comparing Rodgers first 4 years to the best years of Manning/Brady(QBR) is pretty interesting. Note that Brady/Rodges have not completed the year yet. Brady 07,10,11,04. Manning 04,05,06,09

Rodgers

1308Com 1990Att 16,519yds 125Tds 37ints

Manning

1396com 2078att 17,201yds 141Tds 45ints

Brady

1421com 2131att 17,377yds 147Tds 36ints

They said 15 games for Manning. It was 14½ if I am not mistaken, right? He got pulled in the Chargers game.

I don't think he got pulled in the Chargers game. He hit #49 on the shovel pass toward the end of that game. But considering how we would routinely take the Broncos apart and send them home in little baggies, there's no reason to think he couldn't have piled another two or three on had he played in Week 17, not to mention the three or four blowouts that he came out early in. Meanwhile, Tom Brady needed until the very end of Week 17 to hit 50. No matter. Both great seasons. Just saying I think Manning's 2004 could have set the bar even higher, had they really wanted to. No doubt he wanted the record, but he really could have destroyed it if he'd tried.

• PLEASE USE link to properly see chart ,
  • I tried my best to edit but nothing worked

. . -------------------- Yr Co Att C% ........Yrds TD Int Rat. Sks ... YPA ..... Sck Yrd ....... ANY /A

Tom Brady . . ..... 07 398 578 68.9% 4806 ....50 8 117.2 ....21 ..8.31 ....... 128 ............ 8.88

Peyton Manning.. 04 336 497 67.6% 4557 ...49 10 121.1 ' 13. ...9.17 .......101 ..............9.78

Aaron Rodgers ... 11 305 438 69.6% 4125 ... 39 6 123.3 '' 32 ....9.42 ........197 ...........9.44

Thank you, Bayone..

I've been thinking this, too...

He's having a great year.....and he's good. I like him....

But he's not throwing 60 TDs.....or completing 75%...

....what they need to do is go 19-0. That's where Rodgers can step clear of the field

He's certainly having a great season, but I wouldn't say it is an "unheard of level". Brady and Manning both had great seasons and so did Marino. Marino's was arguably the best because the game wasn't so focused on passing the ball when he had his great season whereas today, it's a pass first league. Let's let Rodgers have a few more years under his belt before commenting on how he compares to all time QBs

Thank you, Bayone..

I've been thinking this, too...

He's having a great year.....and he's good. I like him....

But he's not throwing 60 TDs.....or completing 75%...

....what they need to do is go 19-0. That's where Rodgers can step clear of the field

Peyton may have gone 19 & 0 but wasnt allowed to try ! ! ! ....... U just never know what may have happened

I don't think he got pulled in the Chargers game. He hit #49 on the shovel pass toward the end of that game. But considering how we would routinely take the Broncos apart and send them home in little baggies, there's no reason to think he couldn't have piled another two or three on had he played in Week 17, not to mention the three or four blowouts that he came out early in. Meanwhile, Tom Brady needed until the very end of Week 17 to hit 50. No matter. Both great seasons. Just saying I think Manning's 2004 could have set the bar even higher, had they really wanted to. No doubt he wanted the record, but he really could have destroyed it if he'd tried.

Put it this way, we played Denver again in very first playoff game & peyton had 4, Had 5 & pulled in 3rd quarter I believe Vs Lions on thanksgiving, may have a set most for single game in that one

Take it as you will but comparing Rodgers first 4 years to the best years of Manning/Brady(QBR) is pretty interesting. Note that Brady/Rodges have not completed the year yet. Brady 07,10,11,04. Manning 04,05,06,09

Rodgers

1308Com 1990Att 16,519yds 125Tds 37ints

Manning

1396com 2078att 17,201yds 141Tds 45ints

Brady

1421com 2131att 17,377yds 147Tds 36ints

When u do such comparisons u must also consider

Brady entered to a team that was already built,

Rodgers sat while team drafted the likes of Raji & Mathews etc & taded for ot FA leaders like woosdon, had Driver already others so his team was already rebuilding and when he started he basically was the final piece and had few years of learning

Peyton started stone cold with worse team

I think I remember Peyton saying he didn't want to break Marino's record. Since he idolized him after his father retired. So I think he knew he could have crushed the record, but I also remember him saying if he has to he would only like to beat it by one. The shovel pass was #48, #49 was to Stokley for 25 yards or so. Threw it way before he turned, even before he entered the last cut in his route.

Rodgers sat while team drafted the likes of Raji & Mathews etc & taded for ot FA leaders like woosdon, had Driver already others so his team was already rebuilding and when he started he basically was the final piece and had few years of learning

While all those are true, the situation Rodgers came into (the whole Farve thing) is something to be accounted for.

He also plays in Green Bay thru the months of Nov/Dec/Jan.(Plus Chi), same can be said for Brady.

Not to mention on those numbers you consider those were Brady/Mannings BEST 4 years vs Rodgers only 4 years, and ages PM 28,29,30,33 TB 30, 33,34,32. While Rodgers 25,26,27,28.

And in 4 years Rodgers also has 1000+rush yards and 15 rushing tds.

I stand by my prediction that the man will not break a single major single season record.

He will not pass Marino's yardage

He will not break Brady's touchdown record or even tie Marino

He will not break Brees pass completion % record

and He will not break Manning's passer rating record

I'm going to hold you to that. I think he'll definitely get the yards one. He is on pace for 48 TDs, I believe, which would tie him with Marino

Dont know why they are blowing it up. Yeah hes having an awesome season, but brady and manning have had better seasons IMO. Its also amazing how brady only had 1 more TD in his 07 year than manning in his 04 year, despite 80+ more attempts. If manning had 80 more attempts i bet he would have atleast 3 more TDs in his 04 year

Good point. 80 more attempts and he threw 8 INTs to Manning's 10. ;)

J/k...

"He could have destroyed Marino's record if he'd tried."

"Manning could have gone 19-0 if they'd let him."

Unfortunately such excuses will forever have to be made for Peyton in the context of arguing who is the greatest of all-time. Not his fault but a result of the Colts' conservative nature which has often worked to undermine the greatness of Peyton's legacy. Still these types of justifications though well received by Colts fans could likely be perceived by fans of other teams as sour grapes.

Meanwhile, Brady goes balls out through the whole season heck-bent to break Peyton's TD record. Aaron Rodgers and his Packers seem intent on playing it out through the end and could very well complete the 19-0 season that the Colts eshewed and the Patriots failed at.

To me, if Aaron Rodgers continues to do what he has this season AND his team goes 19-0 he would finally have done something that would set him apart from the rest. He'd be one up on Peyton in terms of rings and would have the perfect season that eluded Tom. More importantly, he'd still be in his prime with his future bright and out in front of him.

Exactly its basically a PR move to bring another positive face to represent the NFL

Your first claim is ridiculously off base.

Your first claim is ridiculously off base.

How so? The Patriots weren't exactly the doormat of the NFL in the late 90s like the Colts. While I wouldn't say Brady entered a well built team there was certainly talent on that roster prior to him arriving. Much more so than the Colts.

He played poorly today (whole team did). He is good, but he is not Manning/Brady good.

Brees is a stand out right now regarding breaking records. Don't care for the team he is on (same way when he was in SD), but he is a great QB.

That's my opinion too. He gets almost no credit from the press, at least none of this "greatest quarterback ever" kind of credit, yet this season he will probably break his own completion % record and he will definitely break Marino's yardage record. Also he is also making a very serious assault on one of the most revered records in football, Unitas 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass. Personally I think he is the best quarterback playing this year.

I'll even go out on a limb a little bit and predict that he will finish this season with a higher passer rating than Aaron Rodgers. (This prediction is pretty iffy though if both men don't play whole games)

How so? The Patriots weren't exactly the doormat of the NFL in the late 90s like the Colts. While I wouldn't say Brady entered a well built team there was certainly talent on that roster prior to him arriving. Much more so than the Colts.

The 2001 Patriots were probably a bit like the current Chargers teams. Plenty of potential but constantly under-performing. They had gone 5-11 in Belichick's first season and were 0-2 to open the '01 year when Brady took over. Sometimes you have the ingredients but no spark to ignite them. Brady was that spark.

There was a lot of talent on that defense (Law, McGinest, Ted Johnson, Tedy Bruschi, Lawyer Milloy, etc) but the offense was mostly scrubs and no-names. Troy Brown was the consummate Patriot but no one's going to pretend he was Marvin Harrison. Antowain Smith was a serviceable running back but certainly not in the same league as Edgerrin James. Even at the TE position, they had Jermaine Wiggins, who was a street FA pickup.

Anyone who thinks Brady walked on to a "loaded" team maybe should consider that was over a decade ago, and the Patriots are still an elite team. The only real constants have been Brady and Belichick. There's only a handful of guys left from the Super Bowl seasons, and only three guys (Brady, Matt Light, and Kevin Faulk) who have all three rings.