Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's 1st Post Senior Bowl Colt Mock

1st post-season mock

• Assumptions include the following cuts: Trent Richardson, Josh McNary, LaRon Landry, Ricky Jean Francois, and Erik Walden.  The Walden cut is a tough one, because he was possibly our best LB this year.  But, we have to make way for Newsome to play more, and Werner is a much cheaper back-up.  RJF is due a lot of money, and it seems we could resign DBs with the savings, adding someone early in the draft to fill RJF’s role.
  • Re-sign the following players: Sergio Brown, Cory Redding, Mike Adams, Darius Butler, Matt Hasselbeck, and Joe Reitz.
  • Two outside FA signings: Clint Boling, OG, Bengals and Leonard Hankerson, WR, Redskins.  Boling is a beast in the run game.  Boling and the continued development of the rest of the interior OL are the main attempt to improve the running offense.

1) Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio).  It’s always fun to see which DBs rise in the draft process.  Almost unpredictable.  I just like Rollins’ story.  He was a great basketball player at Miami, and in 2014 he played his first year of football since high school.  Responded with 7 interceptions and 9 other passes broken up.  Very fluid athlete who didn’t look inexperienced and played very aggressively.  Sort of a talented piece of clay for Pagano and the coaching staff to mold.  Other possibilities are Jalen Collins (LSU), Marcus Peters (U-Dub, extreme character concerns), P.J. Williams (FSU), and Ronald Darby (FSU).  It’s hard to predict a CB, since Grigson hasn’t taken a single one in three drafts (despite obvious need).  However, our D is best when we play tight man-to-man, and Davis and Toler tend to get dinged up.  In those circumstances, we definitely need a better back-up on the outside than Gordy, as well as an heir-apparent to Toler. 

2) Mario Edwards Jr., DE, Florida St.  An ideal 3-4 DE who can eventually fill Redding’s spot.  Initially, he’ll take RJF’s part-time reps.  His production has been disappointing, but he’s done pretty well despite a limited array of pass rush moves.  Needs development, but he’s an ideal physical specimen with fantastic athleticism.   6'3", 294.

3) Lynden Trail, OLB/DE, Norfolk St.  Rising at the Senior Bowl.  Walden’s release makes OLB depth a draft need.  I feel we have the pass-rusher-of-the-future on the roster in the form of Jonathan Newsome.  However, Werner’s future is far from assured.  Some feel that Trail’s NFL future will be at DE with his hand on the ground.  The beauty of the pick would be that this 6’6”, 262 lb. freak would fit in somewhere.  He played OLB in college and can set the edge and rush the passer.  He has experience in coverage.  Or he can easily support 20+ more lbs. to become a 3-4 DE.  Get him in camp and figure it out later!

4) Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary.  Only returning WRs regularly on 2014’s active roster are Hilton and Moncrief.  Depending on who you believe, we may now behind Minnesota in the Duron Carter sweepstakes.  So the one-year prove-it contract goes to Hankerson, and we draft a young-un somewhere in the first four rounds.  Previous unposted iterations of my mock draft had a 2nd round WR.  McBride was a man among boys at the East West Shrine practices.  6’2”, 205, sub 4.50 forty.   A good overall receiver who is also a good return man.

5) John Crockett, RB, N. Dakota St.  6’1”, 215.  Another East West Shrine riser.  A lot like Vick Ballard.  He’s a good receiver and pass blocker with nice, quick feet.  Not the best pure runner out there, but a complete back.  There are a number of other late-round RBs I like, and the late nature of this pick results from my general attitude that the OL is by far the most important element in creating a run game.  Other late-round RB possibilities include Malcom Agnew (S. Illinois), Terrance Magee (LSU), Dominique Brown (Louisville), and Kenny Hilliard (LSU).

6) Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan St.  Okay, I’ve always loved East West Shrine standouts.  Jones is very good in coverage, and TE coverage is an area our team continues to struggle with.  McNary’s release (inevitable) opens a roster spot in the ILB corps.  6’3, 252, 4.76.

6) Detrick Bonner, S, Virginia Tech.  This year will remind us of last year: a need at Safety, but the weak draft class in this area will probably result in us addressing other areas.  Bonner seems like a good prospect in the late rounds, though.  15 passes broken up in the last two years.  Good in coverage, good range, extremely strong, and reportedly a 38” vertical.  6’, 196, 4.56.  Not currently considered a 6th, but he should test well.

7) Chaz Green, OT, Florida.  Potential late-round gem.  Green is the perfect type of back-up OT.  He is very reliable at blitz pick-up/awareness.   He moves extremely well too.  His problem at Florida has been his ability to stay on the field.  Joining the NFL as a back-up should afford him the opportunity to finally get healthy, as he won’t be asked to play every week.  Plus, we seem to like Florida OL.  6’5”, 300.  Obviously, I have not over-reacted to the OL woes this year.  Why?  1) We’re probably stuck with Cherilus for one more year due to salary cap considerations.  2) Young, developing players on the OL include Holmes, Harrison, Thornton, and John.  There should be improvement just from these guys’ development.  3) I now think Costanzo will get a long-term contract.

Next year’s projected depth chart

WR  Hilton, McBride

TE  Fleener, Swoope

LT  Costanzo, Green

LG  Mewhort, Reitz

C  Holmes, Harrison

RG  Boling, Thornton

RT  Cherilus, John

TE  Allen, Doyle

WR  Moncrief, Hankerson

QB  Luck, Hasselbeck

RB  Herron, Crockett, Tipton

DT  Jones, Hughes

NT  Chapman, Kerr

DE  Redding, Edwards, Quarles

SAM  Newsome, Trail

ILB  D’Q. Jackson, A. Jackson

ILB  Freeman, Muamba, Jones

Rush  Mathis, Werner, Adongo

CB  Toler, Rollins

SS  Adams, Howell, Bonner

FS  Brown, McDonald

CB  Davis, Butler, Price

LS  Overton

P McAfee                     

K  Vinitieri

I really liked this mock. I would be very pleased if this is actually how things turned out. What do you think about Dewey McDonald's potential to start next year?

I'm interested to see how things pan out with Dewey next year as well.  Has nice size/speed combo but burried on the depth chart this year.  I see him more as a SS in the box type as he tackles really well.  Hands need work.  I have to say I have no idea what he will look like in coverage.  With all those degrees he has I don't think the mental side will be the issue.

I really liked this mock. I would be very pleased if this is actually how things turned out. What do you think about Dewey McDonald's potential to start next year?

I'm not counting on Dewey starting, but I'd like to see him get PT in the base D.  I'd like to see Adams and Sergio come back and start, with Howell and Dewey the main back-ups.  It would be nice to bring in a higher-level FA rather than Sergio and Adams, but it's a really bad year for FA safeties.  Devin McCourtey is about the only guy appreciably better than Adams and Sergio, and someone will vastly overpay him.  So, I think we'll be making do for another year at safety.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it to work out as well as last year...

Meanwhile the colts front seven is full of average players.

I think there's a lot of talent with Jones, Redding, Freeman, Newsome, and Mathis (et al).  Of course, you may notice that 2 of the top 3 picks are in the front 7.  It's not all about the 1st rounder...

I think there's a lot of talent with Jones, Redding, Freeman, Newsome, and Mathis (et al).  Of course, you may notice that 2 of the top 3 picks are in the front 7.  It's not all about the 1st rounder...

Redding: old and probably retires

Freeman: old and mediocre

Mathis: old and coming back from major injury

Newsome: shows promise, but half of his sacks he went unblocked

Jones: a good complimentary player

Yeah, that's not realistic. Toler is here the the remainder of his contract. 

If Toler is hurt then it doesn't matter if he's here for the rest of his contract or not. We will still need somebody to come in and start. Maybe not a first rounder this year, but still somebody.

If Toler is hurt then it doesn't matter if he's here for the rest of his contract or not. We will still need somebody to come in and start. Maybe not a first rounder this year, but still somebody.

Unless Toler suffers some catastrophic career ending injury, drafting a corner in round 1 for depth isn't wise. 

Yeah I agree. The CB class is really deep this year. You can get guys like Kevin Johnson, Cam Thomas, Alex Carter, etc...in the later rounds. Seriously, unless it Peters or Waynes, you don't need to spend a 1st on a CB this year.

I'm not sure what you're reading,  but I'm not seeing anything that says the CB class is deep....

I hope you're right,  but as of now,  I'm not seeing it.

'

I'm not sure what you're reading,  but I'm not seeing anything that says the CB class is deep....

I hope you're right,  but as of now,  I'm not seeing it.

'

Reading reports from analysts and watching stuff like the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. There are alot of guys who have been getting high praise. Just from the Senior Bowl you have Senquez Golsen, Kevin White, Steven Nelson, Quinten Rollins, and Ladarius Gunter who were all pretty impressive and had great practices. Trust me, the CB class is the deepest it's been in awhile.

This mock is whacked and Im not sure why people on here love it. We are not drafting a corner in round 1, we are not getting rid of walden, we are not signing redding back and WE DEFINATELY ARE NOT signing hankerson...

Again, not sure why ya'll like cast off redskin chumps but just like orakpo, this guy stinks. He hasnt seen the field consistently in four years and when hes been out there he can't even beat out aldrick robinson or santana old-man moss. One of the worst mock free agent projections I have seen to date.

This mock is whacked and Im not sure why people on here love it. We are not drafting a corner in round 1, we are not getting rid of walden, we are not signing redding back and WE DEFINATELY ARE NOT signing hankerson...

Again, not sure why ya'll like cast off redskin chumps but just like orakpo, this guy stinks. He hasnt seen the field consistently in four years and when hes been out there he can't even beat out aldrick robinson or santana old-man moss. One of the worst mock free agent projections I have seen to date.

You're a real charmer, aren't you?

I feel like a lot of your picks are reaches other than Taiwan Jones. Here is mine...(Indy traded 1, 6 for Seattle's 1, 3 and traded 3, 7 for Jags 4, 5)

Round 1 Pick 32 (SEA): Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 2 Pick 29: Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 29: Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville (B)
Round 4 Pick 4 (JAX): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 29: David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (A)
Round 5 Pick 3 (JAX): Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 5 Pick 29: Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State (B+)
Round 6 Pick 29: Titus Davis, WR, Central Michigan ©

You're a real charmer, aren't you?

Ha!!.. Look, here's my thinking on this whole thing, right or wrong.

From what I have gathered the Colts think they are contending for a title right now with a couple of exceptions. ( positional hiccups)

So with that being said its virtually all about the trenches and getting tough.

Walden for who he is and what he does has proven out better than most thought, including myself. The one thing he does have and why he won't be getting released is "Fire". This guy will fight ya and thats what we need. Say what you will but he wont back down and thats Monsterous!

If the colts take a reciever in draft or FA it won't be some second rate chump or in hankersons case 6th rate. There won't be anymore prove it deals. Colts did this with Nicks and Nicks proved he cant separate anymore much less run a route.

Montcrief is still learning to run a route. The Colts need a wideout with ty who can already run routes and separate while moncrief and whoever comes along. Cobb fits the bill here and depending on how much money the colts will throw defensively in FA, I believe if Cobb hits the market the Colts will go after him. Crabtree would be next if cobb cant be obtained.

Round one colts go after best NT or S/FS available, no brainer. Pass rush is not going to be big priority in round one as Colts need to stop the RUN and generate some push. NT who can do both fits the bill

Ha!!.. Look, here's my thinking on this whole thing, right or wrong.

From what I have gathered the Colts think they are contending for a title right now with a couple of exceptions. ( positional hiccups)

So with that being said its virtually all about the trenches and getting tough.

Walden for who he is and what he does has proven out better than most thought, including myself. The one thing he does have and why he won't be getting released is "Fire". This guy will fight ya and thats what we need. Say what you will but he wont back down and thats Monsterous!

If the colts take a reciever in draft or FA it won't be some second rate chump or in hankersons case 6th rate. There won't be anymore prove it deals. Colts did this with Nicks and Nicks proved he cant separate anymore much less run a route.

Montcrief is still learning to run a route. The Colts need a wideout with ty who can already run routes and separate while moncrief and whoever comes along. Cobb fits the bill here and depending on how much money the colts will throw defensively in FA, I believe if Cobb hits the market the Colts will go after him. Crabtree would be next if cobb cant be obtained.

Round one colts go after best NT or S/FS available, no brainer. Pass rush is not going to be big priority in round one as Colts need to stop the RUN and generate some push. NT who can do both fits the bill

It's a difficult year to predict, I'll admit.  Not a very high degree of confidence in any predictions I may make, at least before we see what Grigson does in FA.  But, I really don't see a safety early in this year's draft that will be the best choice for us.  And, if there's one area on the D I'm completely happy with, it's the NTs.  I think we're fairly set with Chapman, Kerr, and Hughes.  And Jones can provide pass rush if played there.  And the idea that we can get a NT that can rush the passer in the draft isn't realistic IMO.  There are probably two, and they'll go in the first half of Round 1.  To me, Round 1 possibilities primarily include: WR, DE/DT, RB, & CB.

You forgot Newsome. Newsome, Mathis, Werner, and whoever we draft. Really!

I guess if you can replace Walden for the 4 M he is due but I thought he was pretty good this yr second on the team with 6 sacks seemed to make big plays at big moments but I'm old maybe my memory fails me

I would keep an eye on the kid from ASU DE Hardison in the 3 or 4th Remember how Nix fell last yr could see the same thing happen to NG Shelton from Washington who many are calling a 1st rounder don't see it.

Joining the Redskins cast offs the FA I like is Helu think he fits our system grab Hillard LSU late or maybe as UDFA. Hillard is a pounder with quick feet

Who knows these things are fun but incredibly hard to predict. I would love Crabby to finally play with a QB that can get him the ball

I would keep an eye on the kid from ASU DE Hardison in the 3 or 4th Remember how Nix fell last yr could see the same thing happen to NG Shelton from Washington who many are calling a 1st rounder don't see it.

Joining the Redskins cast offs the FA I like is Helu think he fits our system grab Hillard LSU late or maybe as UDFA. Hillard is a pounder with quick feet

Who knows these things are fun but incredibly hard to predict. I would love Crabby to finally play with a QB that can get him the ball

I like a number of your picks, just not where you have them.

I would trade down from the first to get an extra 4th at least before taking Quinten Rollins. I like Rollins, but not in the first. 

I am not sure Mario Edwards fits our scheme. He is an undersized 3/4 end. 

I like Lynden Trail, although he needs some seasoning. I think the 4th round is a better spot for a guy who will likely not contribute other than special teams in year 1. 

I think your best pick is probably John Crockett in the 5th round. This is a great draft for running backs and Crockett is a little under the radar, but he has great size and athleticism. He could be a gem in the 5th round.