Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Orton to retire

buffalo34

Alrighty then. I guess that clears up any QB questions the Bills have for next year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12091661/quarterback-kyle-orton-tells-buffalo-bills-plans-retire

Didn't do too much to lift up the Bills offense, but he still gave us a chance in each game.

Why Orton took so many backup jobs as opposed to going places where he could compete for a starting job is beyond me.  He's not a great player but his stats seem to be comparable to Alex Smith in a lot of cases.  So you would think he could have found a stable starting role somewhere. 

Alrighty then. I guess that clears up any QB questions the Bills have for next year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12091661/quarterback-kyle-orton-tells-buffalo-bills-plans-retire

Didn't do too much to lift up the Bills offense, but he still gave us a chance in each game.

Let us know what the thinking is in Buffalo ? No 1st rounder makes a rookie unlikely . Cutler ...? Seems like their time is now as the roster is very good other than QB. Can't go back to Manual... Hoyer ? Ahhh ... ughh there.   Man .. tough one

Let us know what the thinking is in Buffalo ? No 1st rounder makes a rookie unlikely . Cutler ...? Seems like their time is now as the roster is very good other than QB. Can't go back to Manual... Hoyer ? Ahhh ... ughh there.   Man .. tough one

Cutler's contract makes it difficult to trade him I would think.  

That said if I where Buffalo and my objective was to build a team to win as many games as possible, I would say Matt Moore and Ryan Mallet are both free agents this year.  I would look at signing one or both of them to low level (for starters) contracts.  

Matt Hasselbeck is a FA too, but I'm not sure I'd go that way, main reason being age.  Besides Hasselbeck seems very content with being a backup.  And that is of course all of that is an "if he doesn't retire" sort of thing.  

That said I don't see any of those guys leading them to a super-bowl.  

Cutler's contract makes it difficult to trade him I would think.  

That said if I where Buffalo and my objective was to build a team to win as many games as possible, I would say Matt Moore and Ryan Mallet are both free agents this year.  I would look at signing one or both of them to low level (for starters) contracts.  

Matt Hasselbeck is a FA too, but I'm not sure I'd go that way, main reason being age.  Besides Hasselbeck seems very content with being a backup.  And that is of course all of that is an "if he doesn't retire" sort of thing.  

That said I don't see any of those guys leading them to a super-bowl.  

Culter situation is a murky , ominous looking thing for sure. Trade would be very difficult as you say but if Chicago doesn't feel he's the guy , they pretty much should just release him as it saves another 10 mill from being guaranteed. So I was thinking there was a chance Buffalo could sign him as a free agent. Moore is Imo a back up as is an old Hasslebeck. I was thinking Mallett goes back to Houston but maybe he hits the open market like you suggest.

With what it took to get him back in the NFL when he seemed pretty content being out and enjoying life "retired", it isn't a huge shocker he retired after this season. I think he's ready to kick back and enjoy life anyways, because the way he left was awesome haha

Culter situation is a murky , ominous looking thing for sure. Trade would be very difficult as you say but if Chicago doesn't feel he's the guy , they pretty much should just release him as it saves another 10 mill from being guaranteed. So I was thinking there was a chance Buffalo could sign him as a free agent. Moore is Imo a back up as is an old Hasslebeck. I was thinking Mallett goes back to Houston but maybe he hits the open market like you suggest.

Mallet it will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets.  He's never really played much at the NFL level but a lot of people see the potential from when he played in college.  

I would expect the Texans to make him some offers but I wouldn't be too certain that he would immediately re-sign there unless he really likes the coaching staff or something.  If I where him I would want to see what sort of offers the open market would bring before I sign with anyone.  I can't imagine that the Texans would cut their nose off to spite their face and withdraw their offer if he doesn't take it right away.  

Mallet might be able to get some fairly good offers especially in terms of how unproven QB's go.  There is only 2 QB's in the draft that anyone see's as first round picks.  1 of those QB's is constantly in trouble and could tumble out of the first round because of that.  

So I could see several teams putting up competing offers to bring Mallet in and see if he can be their guy.  Because the next best option is really Matt Moore.  

Mallet it will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets.  He's never really played much at the NFL level but a lot of people see the potential from when he played in college.  

I would expect the Texans to make him some offers but I wouldn't be too certain that he would immediately re-sign there unless he really likes the coaching staff or something.  If I where him I would want to see what sort of offers the open market would bring before I sign with anyone.  I can't imagine that the Texans would cut their nose off to spite their face and withdraw their offer if he doesn't take it right away.  

Mallet might be able to get some fairly good offers especially in terms of how unproven QB's go.  There is only 2 QB's in the draft that anyone see's as first round picks.  1 of those QB's is constantly in trouble and could tumble out of the first round because of that.  

So I could see several teams putting up competing offers to bring Mallet in and see if he can be their guy.  Because the next best option is really Matt Moore.  

Mallett also looked to prove that he can make all the throws in the NFL game. Houston didn't ask him to do a lot , so there are probably still plenty of questions concerning him. As you say , it will be interesting to see what Houston offers and if he just takes it or shops himself. The last couple of QB (Dawson and Kap) contracts included a lot of incentive type stuff and the guaranteed money was not over whelming. I would expect Mallett to have to sign something of that nature as it at least appears to be "trending" that way with QB's out of the top tier.

Mallett also looked to prove that he can make all the throws in the NFL game. Houston didn't ask him to do a lot , so there are probably still plenty of questions concerning him. As you say , it will be interesting to see what Houston offers and if he just takes it or shops himself. The last couple of QB (Dawson and Kap) contracts included a lot of incentive type stuff and the guaranteed money was not over whelming. I would expect Mallett to have to sign something of that nature as it at least appears to be "trending" that way with QB's out of the top tier.

I actually think it would probably be a 1 or 2 year deal for 8 mil or less.  I don't think he's gonna get the salary of those guys, even with all the incentives etc.  

He's gonna see a short deal with the figures somewhere between a high level backup and a low level starter.  

There is plenty of space between a high level backup and a low level starter.  

I actually think it would probably be a 1 or 2 year deal for 8 mil or less.  I don't think he's gonna get the salary of those guys, even with all the incentives etc.  

He's gonna see a short deal with the figures somewhere between a high level backup and a low level starter.  

There is plenty of space between a high level backup and a low level starter.  

Oh... I never implied he would get a salary like Kap or Dawson. I just was pointing out that it seems like teams are moving away from throwing a ton of guaranteed money at Qb's that aren't elite or close to elite. Signing a 1 to 2 year deal would accomplish that also but I think a team with rather do something bigger that would pay him more if he performed. That way they lock him up and he gets good pay if he performs . Other words , something like a 5 year deal with a 8-9 mill $ signing bonus. Modest guaranteed contacts guranateed for probably just first year. Then 3 years at around 10-11 mill that are not guranateed.