Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

titans drafting mariota

Nope. I actually hope they draft him. First of all, I think Winston has better talents for the NFL so I'd be more worried about them drafting him. Second, I really don't want them to end up with Leonard Williams since I feel he is the best player in the draft other than Winston.

If they Titans drafted Mariota, he would be just another QB that doesn't fit Ken Wisenhunt's system, and those running QBs have had trouble making it in the NFL.

Nope. I actually hope they draft him. First of all, I think Winston has better talents for the NFL so I'd be more worried about them drafting him. Second, I really don't want them to end up with Leonard Williams since I feel he is the best player in the draft other than Winston.

If they Titans drafted Mariota, he would be just another QB that doesn't fit Ken Wisenhunt's system, and those running QBs have had trouble making it in the NFL.

youre not concernd with winston off the field antics 

why because they drafted a QB in the 5th round? who cares

Because there is not a QB in this draft the caliber of Andrew Luck.......Mariota is good, Winston is good......But not Luck.......Drafting one them will in all probability be a coach killer/gm killer move. Mettenberger did just fine for a rookie QB before he got injured.

Because there is not a QB in this draft the caliber of Andrew Luck.......Mariota is good, Winston is good......But not Luck.......Drafting one them will in all probability be a coach killer/gm killer move. Mettenberger did just fine for a rookie QB before he got injured.

Lets get somethibg straight, luck is a once in a generation type QB. You can't compare rookie QBs to him. Its unfair

I have no idea why all these pundits are now saying "there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft or that draft."  He was considered the best prospect since Elway. Even Manning was supposedly a tad behind him. So why would they be saying there is no Andrew Luck in this draft when he's a once in a generation prospect ?  

Lets get somethibg straight, luck is a once in a generation type QB. You can't compare rookie QBs to him. Its unfair

Sorry posted seconds after yours. Same thing. And just to add to that , a QB doesn't have to be "Andrew Luck caliber" to be drafted at 1.1 or 1.2. That makes no sense.

Sorry posted seconds after yours. Same thing. And just to add to that , a QB doesn't have to be "Andrew Luck caliber" to be drafted at 1.1 or 1.2. That makes no sense.

Well they cant be:

Cam Newton

Alex Smith

Matt Stafford

Micheal Vick

Carson Palmer

David Carr

Tim Couch

Now some of those are decent QB's no doubt, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, even Alex Smith.......Do you want to draft decent with your number 1 overall pick and hinge your job on "decent"

Well they cant be:

Cam Newton

Alex Smith

Matt Stafford

Micheal Vick

Carson Palmer

David Carr

Tim Couch

Matt Stafford (I know he had one fantastic year....what happened since then?)

Now some of those are decent QB's no doubt, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, even Alex Smith.......Do you want to draft decent with your number 1 overall pick and hinge your job on "decent"

Ya win some and lose some. Thing is the QB position is rated very highly so teams often reach for QB's.

Here's some more you can add to the list.

Drew Bledsoe

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning  (2 SB)

Here's some more..

Dan Wilkerson

Ki Jana Carter

Keyshawn Johnson.. was OK I guess

Courtney Brown

Eric Fisher

Russell Maryland

Steve Emtman

Audrey Bruce

Clowney ??? 

The above 9 represent of the 12 players that were not QB's taken first overall since 1988. The other 3 are Bruce Smith , Orlando Pace and Jake Long. God... even Jake Long is just what you'd call a good NFL LT as we speak. So I guess that pick 1.1 is no sure thing even when you move away from QB. BTW.. I was really surprised when I looked at the list.

Guys and Gals, I think TB will have the #1 pick, and they are going to fall in love with Winston because his physical and mental game, played pro style at FS, translate much better to the NFL. Plus minus the baggage, he is a great leader on the field. Never let any of that bother him in games, and never lost. He will be scripted and coached up for the interviews, and TB will take him.

Mariotta will be the next domino to fall, but although he has great physical skills, the offense once again does not translate to NFL, but he can learn. He has the physical traits to be good, but it won't be immediate. So, I know they may be blowing smoke up people's butts, but they do like Metzenberger a lot. Now you couple that with what they could get for the #2 pick from the Jets, etc. I know St. Louis was very happy. If Bradford had stayed healthy. They won't get what St. Louis did, 3 1sts and a 2nd, and one of the first was a swap from 6th to 2nd, but they would get a haul.

The other possibility for Tenn. no one is talking about. I believe the Bears are serious about getting rid of Cutler, and Tenn. would be the ideal spot for him. Vanderbilt in the same town, and if he plays with a team that focuses on running the ball, and does not have to throw it 40-50 times, his mistakes will be much lower, and I don't think they would ask him to be the leader.  Just my thoughts. We still have one game to go, and I guarantee whoever has the 2nd pick is going to get some very nice offers.

I have no idea why all these pundits are now saying "there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft or that draft."  He was considered the best prospect since Elway. Even Manning was supposedly a tad behind him. So why would they be saying there is no Andrew Luck in this draft when he's a once in a generation prospect ?  

Because he's the measuring stick.     He's who everyone is measured against.

I think both Mariota and Winston are better than the QB's we've had in the last two years,  but I'm not sure either will be special.

I'm not sure Mariota's skills translate well into the NFL,  and while I think Winston's skills do translate,  I have serious doubts that his maturity will let him be the QB he's capable of becoming.    He's capable of self destructing in a very JaMarcus Russell,  Vince Young type of way......

Because he's the measuring stick.     He's who everyone is measured against.

I think both Mariota and Winston are better than the QB's we've had in the last two years,  but I'm not sure either will be special.

I'm not sure Mariota's skills translate well into the NFL,  and while I think Winston's skills do translate,  I have serious doubts that his maturity will let him be the QB he's capable of becoming.    He's capable of self destructing in a very JaMarcus Russell,  Vince Young type of way......

Maybe so but I guess I just don't get it. What does it tell me if the evaluations are saying that those guys are not as good as Andrew Luck was coming out of college ? To be more precise ... Kiper and other evaluators often use like a 10 point system to grade players. I think Kiper gave Elway a 10 and Luck a 9.9. So now someone tells me Mariota is not a 9.9. OK... well there was only one guy in the past 34 years that was a 9.9. Let's say they consider a QB that rates 9.6 a franchise type QB. All I know by their statement is neither guy is as good as Luck coming out. Well ... how good are they ? Maybe they mean that neither guy is a sure thing ? I guess I'm thinking that not as good as Andrew Luck has a huge range ...

Oh.. and I do agree that they're better than the past two years. 2013 was a disaster .. 2014 the jury is still out I guess.

Maybe so but I guess I just don't get it. What does it tell me if the evaluations are saying that those guys are not as good as Andrew Luck was coming out of college ? To be more precise ... Kiper and other evaluators often use like a 10 point system to grade players. I think Kiper gave Elway a 10 and Luck a 9.9. So now someone tells me Mariota is not a 9.9. OK... well there was only one guy in the past 34 years that was a 9.9. Let's say they consider a QB that rates 9.6 a franchise type QB. All I know by their statement is neither guy is as good as Luck coming out. Well ... how good are they ? Maybe they mean that neither guy is a sure thing ? I guess I'm thinking that not as good as Andrew Luck has a huge range ...

Oh.. and I do agree that they're better than the past two years. 2013 was a disaster .. 2014 the jury is still out I guess.

I think comments like "there's no Andrew Luck in this year's draft" are for the fans of any team that has a shot to draft a top QB.

You're letting them know that even the best QB in a draft is not going to be Andrew Luck.   Let's be honest,  there are lots of fans who just don't get that.    They think the best QB in a draft is going to be an immediate savior like Luck was.    Those fans have to know that their franchise QB is going to take a lot longer to smooth out the rough edges.

Guys like Cam Newton and Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford are still trying to figure things out.   Bradford as much due to injury, but the others due to the position being the hardest to play in all of sports.

I think comments like "there's no Andrew Luck in this year's draft" are for the fans of any team that has a shot to draft a top QB.

You're letting them know that even the best QB in a draft is not going to be Andrew Luck.   Let's be honest,  there are lots of fans who just don't get that.    They think the best QB in a draft is going to be an immediate savior like Luck was.    Those fans have to know that their franchise QB is going to take a lot longer to smooth out the rough edges.

Guys like Cam Newton and Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford are still trying to figure things out.   Bradford as much due to injury, but the others due to the position being the hardest to play in all of sports.

Yeah could be. I would rather have an evaluation but I guess those will come later

Here is the thing.......While most fans are impatient for those rough edges to smooth out.......So are team owners as well...That's why the term "GM Killer or Coach Killer" exists....Owners are impatient, They want there star QB now......Why? Money........win now and win often means money....If you draft a QB with the 1st pick in the draft and ya don't win with him from just about day 1 then in all likelihood a coach or GM is gonna get canned

Here is the thing.......While most fans are impatient for those rough edges to smooth out.......So are team owners as well...That's why the term "GM Killer or Coach Killer" exists....Owners are impatient, They want there star QB now......Why? Money........win now and win often means money....If you draft a QB with the 1st pick in the draft and ya don't win with him from just about day 1 then in all likelihood a coach or GM is gonna get canned

Good post.

All true.

And if you invest on the wrong veteran QB and he turns out to be what you feared and not what you hoped for (read: Cutler, Jay) then the same applies.    People could get themselves fired.  (Read: GM,  Coach)

Yeah could be. I would rather have an evaluation but I guess those will come later

I think we'll start seeing those evaluations in February and March.

I'd lose lots of sleep if I were the GM deciding between Marriota and Winston.     If I could merge Winston on the field with Marriota off the field then I'd think you'd have a heck of a QB.

Not Andrew Luck,  but a better QB than what either are....

I'd lose lots of sleep if I were the GM deciding between Marriota and Winston.     If I could merge Winston on the field with Marriota off the field then I'd think you'd have a heck of a QB.

I like Marriota a hair better but Winston has always made big plays when the game is on the line. Tough choice but probably so different that one might fit a teams offense way better than the other.

If Im the Titans GM just for the very reason I mentioned above I would pass and instead draft one of the following

Amari Cooper

Leonard Williams

Or trade down with the Jets or Bucs who have seemingly quit on Mike Glennon and draft someone like Shane Ray or Randy Gregory, Danny Shelton or Vic Beasley

If the GM is not sure of Mettenberger or Locker then draft a QB in the 2nd round, Bryce Petty, Dak Prescott, If they fail then its not such a big deal like it would be if you spent a #1 on Winton or Mariota

If Im the Titans GM just for the very reason I mentioned above I would pass and instead draft one of the following

Amari Cooper

Leonard Williams

Or trade down with the Jets or Bucs who have seemingly quit on Mike Glennon and draft someone like Shane Ray or Randy Gregory, Danny Shelton or Vic Beasley

If the GM is not sure of Mettenberger or Locker then draft a QB in the 2nd round, Bryce Petty, Dak Prescott, If they fail then its not such a big deal like it would be if you spent a #1 on Winton or Mariota

All those non-QBs you just mentioned are gonna be great prospects during draft season, but the teams picking in the top five of this year's draft are still all QB deficient, except maybe the Raiders and Jags. If any of those teams have any kind of conviction on Winston or Mariota, they should draft them and do all they can to support them.

And if they don't like those two guys, they should trade down. But they still need to find a QB somehow. And right away.

Mariota and Winston are athletes. That's not what is needed to be an NFL QB. Maybe they can learn the QB position, but drafting one high depends upon the coaches ability to teach them how to play QB.

Luck was playing the NFL QB position in college. Mariota and Winston are playing the college QB position. RGIII and Kaep still are too for that matter.

I hope both Mariota and Winston go to AFC South teams.