Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What difference does it make who starts at QB for Cleveland?

oldunclemark

You dont want to totally write off a team before the season begins, especially in a weak division...

But does anybody see the Browns making the playoffs under any scenario with any of the QBs in their organization?

Bortles and Bridgewater have shown to be better players than Johnny Maziel right now but they draw little attention because their teams don't project to being playoff contenders...

I guess I'm saying that since the Cleveland QB 'controversy' is second tier (LeBron is top tier) news, even in Cleveland.. Why does it lead almost every cable TV national sports news report?

What likely scenario makes Cleveland football relevant this season?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Cleveland has a decent team, certainly defensively for sure. As with every team, it comes down to QB play. I like Hoyer a lot and he showed some good things last year before he blew out his knee but he has not looked good in the preseason. I don't see Manziel being the starter unless something happens to Hoyer. Also, they are in a brutal division. The only team that maybe they could climb over would be the Steelers as they usually beat them at least once during the season but I can't see them even doing that. I think 5-6 wins is likely. Losing Gordon was a killer.

...which again begs the question...

Why is their so much of a (largely) media obcession with Manziel when he has not played well (worse than the other top rookie QBs) and his team is not relevant...? What's the end game.?

Are they hoping for some crackhead style, hooker driven meltdown? Do they even have hookers in Cleveland?

Seriously, since Clevelend is almost certainly a non playoff team in a small market dominated by 'The King', what's the point in leading the national sports news with a 2nd string QB?

...which again begs the question...

Why is their so much of a (largely) media obcession with Manziel when he has not played well (worse than the other top rookie QBs) and his team is not relevant...? What's the end game.?

Are they hoping for some crackhead style, hooker driven meltdown? Do they even have hookers in Cleveland?

Seriously, since Clevelend is almost certainly a non playoff team in a small market dominated by 'The King', what's the point in leading the national sports news with a 2nd string QB?

You have to ask? ;)

This is like Tebow. Manziel has come out of college with a Heisman trophy and flare and really has transcended the sport just like Tebow did with this college play and faith. I think the focus is there because the NFL has been about the casual/fringe fan for some time and people know Manziel mostly because of his off-field stuff. And in fairness, if he does start and plays well then it will be a big story. I think if the Browns struggle, it will somewhat go away but of course who knows what Manziel will continue to do off the field to keep the stories rolling ....

The Browns have a solid defense and have Pettine as their HC.  He did a very good job with the Bills defense and will probably carry over to Cleveland with players like Rubin, Dansby, Haden, Gipson, and Whitner.  But as far as offense goes, they are in need of help.  Manziel only started to perform well when he was playing a third string defense.  Hoyer has more years in the NFL but has also been a backup is whole career and was undrafted.  I think Hoyer is the better choice for Cleveland at QB, but neither Hoyer nor Manziel is going to win 8+ games for the Browns.  The highest I see them going is 7-9, maybe 8-8 if Gordon ever comes back.    

You dont want to totally write off a team before the season begins, especially in a weak division...

But does anybody see the Browns making the playoffs under any scenario with any of the QBs in their organization?

Bortles and Bridgewater have shown to be better players than Johnny Maziel right now but they draw little attention because their teams don't project to being playoff contenders...

I guess I'm saying that since the Cleveland QB 'controversy' is second tier (LeBron is top tier) news, even in Cleveland.. Why does it lead almost every cable TV national sports news report?

What likely scenario makes Cleveland football relevant this season?

Weak division, other than Cleveland, absolutely not. The Bengals will be good again, and the Steelers and Ravens were 500 teams in rebuilding years. Both teams look to be better than last season's edition. Three of the four teams are very good. After watching Hoyer and Johnny, I've cast them in their usual bottom slot, although it is an improved team overall.

Weak division, other than Cleveland, absolutely not. The Bengals will be good again, and the Steelers and Ravens were 500 teams in rebuilding years. Both teams look to be better than last season's edition. Three of the four teams are very good. After watching Hoyer and Johnny, I've cast them in their usual bottom slot, although it is an improved team overall.

Pittsburgh is a shadow of what they were..

Baltimore has QB and RB problems..lets be honest.

...Cincy is good but Clevelend just isn't

But you have just been arrested, OC, and charged with a 'Missing the point!!' violation.

The question still stands.

On a national basis.....What difference does it make who starts at QB for Cleveland?

You have to ask? ;)

This is like Tebow. Manziel has come out of college with a Heisman trophy and flare and really has transcended the sport just like Tebow did with this college play and faith. I think the focus is there because the NFL has been about the casual/fringe fan for some time and people know Manziel mostly because of his off-field stuff. And in fairness, if he does start and plays well then it will be a big story. I think if the Browns struggle, it will somewhat go away but of course who knows what Manziel will continue to do off the field to keep the stories rolling ....

You mean, ESPN...has become self-addicted to the brain dead adoration of a marginal but divisive player sure to jack up their meat head ratings while crippling the player's career and annoying fans every where??.

Is that what you're saying a.m.!!!!!

The Browns could have a Tebow season in the works, which isn't the only season like that that's ever happened (Favre in 92). That's the only way I see Johnny Football being a part of anything good this year though.

They steal a game from Pittsburgh every now and then. If they do that in week 1, maybe Hoyer can even win 8 games. If not though...0-3 is destines imo.

Yeah, sucks throwing to the AFC's worst receiving corps as a rookie in your second preseason game.

They kept Josh Gordon in, in the fourth quarter running routes against third stringers to try and help him out. I guess you think Josh Gordon sucks too

They kept Josh Gordon in, in the fourth quarter running routes against third stringers to try and help him out. I guess you think Josh Gordon

sucks too

If you watched the game you saw the * poor effort he gave, which warranted its own segment on SC.

Yes i watched the game, you didn't. You said so yourself

Then you know what I'm talking about. I didn't claim to watch the game in my previous post either, just pointing out something that your Johnny Manziel bias obviously made you miss.

Then you know what I'm talking about. I didn't claim to watch the game in my previous post either, just pointing out something that your Johnny Manziel bias obviously made you miss.

The kid was one hopping passes ala tim tebow. I cant watch the all 22 so i can't tell if gordons effort was lacking or not. Gruden didn't mention it during the broadcast.

The kid was one hopping passes ala tim tebow. I cant watch the all 22 so i can't tell if gordons effort was lacking or not. Gruden didn't mention it during the broadcast.

Well yeah, a receiver's effort has a lot of effect when it comes to errant or even slightly off passes. I've heard that Gordon did not give it his all, but I don't see any of this as concerning. Gordon won't be there during the year anyway so we will see just how good Brian Hoyer is with what he does with this receiving corps.

Well yeah, a receiver's effort has a lot of effect when it comes to errant or even slightly off passes. I've heard that Gordon did not give it his all, but I don't see any of this as concerning. Gordon won't be there during the year anyway so we will see just how good Brian Hoyer is with what he does with this receiving corps.

Does the receivers effort have anything to do with not knowing the playbook, like at all

You might want to tighten up that notebook because your agenda is showing.

I guess Chris cooley has an agenda to He said the play call manziel recited to Gruden on the,sunday conversation was non sense and in no way was an actual play. He was on the scot van pelt shiw today. Cooley played in kyle shanahans offense for a long time in Washington

I guess Chris cooley has an agenda to He said the play call manziel recited to Gruden on the,sunday conversation was non sense and in no way was an actual play. He was on the scot van pelt shiw today. Cooley played in kyle shanahans offense for a long time in Washington

Chris Cooley hasn't played since 2012. Yeah, I'm sure the playbook and the calls are the exact same every single year. Great logic there.

Chris Cooley hasn't played since 2012. Yeah, I'm sure the playbook and the calls are the exact same every single year. Great logic there.

the protections route calls bootlegs etc are. But I'm sure you know more than a guy who actually played in the offense.

the protections route calls bootlegs etc are. But I'm sure you know more than a guy who actually played in the offense.

Yeah, just like I'm sure you and Cooley both know more than the guy who is playing in the offense at this very moment. And spare me your lame one-liner that is sure to follow up this post.

Yeah, just like I'm sure you and Cooley both know more than the guy who is playing in the offense at this very moment. And spare me your lame one-liner that is sure to follow up this post.

The words are the same. Cooley said as much. He put words together that made zero sense. If you watched the interview with gruden, it was pretty obvious he had no clue.

The words are the same. Cooley said as much. He put words together that made zero sense. If you watched the interview with gruden, it was pretty obvious he had no clue.

The guy played how many plays during the game? He could have easily called out any of those plays if he had wanted to. If it wasn't real, maybe he didn't want to say a real play in case he came under fire from the coach for doing so? We don't know what is going on behind the scenes so who knows why Manziel might not have said a real play or not.

Pittsburgh is a shadow of what they were..

Baltimore has QB and RB problems..lets be honest.

...Cincy is good but Clevelend just isn't

But you have just been arrested, OC, and charged with a 'Missing the point!!' violation.

The question still stands.

On a national basis.....What difference does it make who starts at QB for Cleveland?

I think Flacco will be back with a better O Line and all of his receivers. Yes, Rice is out two games, but Pierce and Tellifaro have done very well. I'm worried more about cornerback with injuries, and lack of depth. Webb out with bad back, Asa Jackson out, Jimmy Smith injured, graham gone.

NFL is not only important for the team that are taking part in these game but also for the millions of person enthusiast who are getting ready for new season. The scenario makes Cleveland football relevant this season, Cleveland is one of the best team in over all 32 team, one cannot be sure but may be its the new strategy of team.