Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Antonio Raiders?

PrincetonTiger

According to reports out of San Antonio Mark Davis and his aides have meet with officials from SA about moving the Raiders to the City.

If you move, please change the name and let the fans of Oakland have their Championships and records. Like father, like son.

why does texas need three football teams? cowboys already get the attention of 5 teams

They are different markets, but I get your drift. It's amazing, the Colts left Baltimore in 1983 over stadium issues, and the Davis's , who started all the franchise movement and leveraging of cities, have been in Oakland, went to LA, and back to Oakland. The stadium stinks for the Raiders and A's , but both team have stayed put, and it's 2014.

Irsay gave Baltimore eleven years before pulling the plug, but Oakland's stadium has been around forever. However, like on Baltimore , Cleveland and other places, the fan base is very strong and loyal, although a bit scary and odd at times.

My view is if you have to move, retire the name and records, and start fresh. Let the old city have their history at least, in case they can get a new franchise.

They are different markets, but I get your drift. It's amazing, the Colts left Baltimore in 1983 over stadium issues, and the Davis's , who started all the franchise movement and leveraging of cities, have been in Oakland, went to LA, and back to Oakland. The stadium stinks for the Raiders and A's , but both team have stayed put, and it's 2014.

Irsay gave Baltimore eleven years before pulling the plug, but Oakland's stadium has been around forever. However, like on Baltimore , Cleveland and other places, the fan base is very strong and loyal, although a bit scary and odd at times.

My view is if you have to move, retire the name and records, and start fresh. Let the old city have their history at least, in case they can get a new franchise.

But which City?

This could be a ploy to get things from Oakland

I once owned a Tampa Bay Giants Shirt

There is no doubt. Baltimore made a mistake not getting Irsay a new stadium, as did Cleveland with Modell. Oakland has been antiquated for years , but have managed to get the Raiders back, and keep the A's. Indy gave Jim Irsay the deal of a lifetime, but that is now what a community must do to retain a major league franchise . If I were a politician in Oakland, I would pay attention. Certainly they are playing San Antonio as leverage, but there may be a Mayor Hudnut type in San Antonio , or southwest van lines. You can't take any chances.

There is no doubt. Baltimore made a mistake not getting Irsay a new stadium, as did Cleveland with Modell. Oakland has been antiquated for years , but have managed to get the Raiders back, and keep the A's. Indy gave Jim Irsay the deal of a lifetime, but that is now what a community must do to retain a major league franchise . If I were a politician in Oakland, I would pay attention. Certainly they are playing San Antonio as leverage, but there may be a Mayor Hudnut type in San Antonio , or southwest van lines. You can't take any chances.

I think there is a former mayor involved

But which City?

Some of the cities like Indy with the Colts, it's too late. Happily, there is no Baltimore Browns or Tennessee Oilers anymore. The Oakland Raiders stand for something historically, and if they moved to San Antonio , I would prefer a different name with different logos . I know the owners have the rights to the logos and stuff, but the older records and names are better left retired. JMO

Some of the cities like Indy with the Colts, it's too late. Happily, there is no Baltimore Browns or Tennessee Oilers anymore. The Oakland Raiders stand for something historically, and if they moved to San Antonio , I would prefer a different name with different logos . I know the owners have the rights to the logos and stuff, but the older records and names are better left retired. JMO

Agreed but in that case there should have never been the Texans or Titans

That's what we thought in 1983!

I understand your worries on that part mate, but I don't believe this to be true.

If it is true however, I'd like to see them retire the Raiders name, or better yet just move back to L.A., that's no big deal at all. Most people in L.A. still love the Raiders.

But if they want to move to San Antonio, they need to retire the Raiders name, and give it back to the fans that have had to suffer year in and year out for over a decade now of seeing them lose so badly.

I don't really get the difference. California has three teams right now. As does New York and Florida.

Not exactly for New York.

The Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, Buffalo is the only team that gains revenue for that state, and that's a joke cause the Bills are so terribly bad, they want Bon Jovi of all people to buy the team. Might as well let him buy the whole state.

I understand your worries on that part mate, but I don't believe this to be true.

If it is true however, I'd like to see them retire the Raiders name, or better yet just move back to L.A., that's no big deal at all. Most people in L.A. still love the Raiders.

But if they want to move to San Antonio, they need to retire the Raiders name, and give it back to the fans that have had to suffer year in and year out for over a decade now of seeing them lose so badly.

That is the thing, when a team moves because of bad politicians or a bad owner , it is always the fans that suffer. When a franchise moves, all the people have left is their history. If an owner has to leave, at least leave the history or logos behind. I know my opinion is directly affected by what happened in our city , but I feel bad for all cities that go through this, Cleveland included.

That being said, it worked out for Baltimore and Indianapolis. I wouldn't trade the last 17 years of the Ravens for anything, but you still miss the old Colts. I'm a traditionalist, and I would hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland again. If Davis had to, leave the Raiders logos and records behind, and just start fresh. I hated the LA deal, because it directly affected the Colts and other teams leaving, as it gave full rein to owners to leverage cities. I just wish the whole league had team ownership like the Packers. It's very cool for fans to be invested in their team and city, even if it's a single share of stock !

not saying it isnt. im just not a fan of overpopulating a state with teams just because its a big market

Yeah it's weird that some states have more than one team and others don't have any.  I guess the sun attracts people and teams.

Anyway, when I heard San Antonio I thought of two things.........how much fun a super bowl would be there and also how there is no basement in the Alamo

Did you know that San Antonio is the 7th most populous city in the country?

Also, Jerry Jones considers San Antonio part of his market so..........maybe this won't happen

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_26238791/raiders-mark-davis-confirms-meeting-san-antonio-officials

not saying it isnt. im just not a fan of overpopulating a state with teams just because its a big market

Ehh some states are bigger then others.  

The problem I see with this is that I would think that given that Oakland still attract's fans from LA the Raiders would be taking a big jump down in their total market size.  

That is the thing, when a team moves because of bad politicians or a bad owner , it is always the fans that suffer. When a franchise moves, all the people have left is their history. If an owner has to leave, at least leave the history or logos behind. I know my opinion is directly affected by what happened in our city , but I feel bad for all cities that go through this, Cleveland included.

That being said, it worked out for Baltimore and Indianapolis. I wouldn't trade the last 17 years of the Ravens for anything, but you still miss the old Colts. I'm a traditionalist, and I would hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland again. If Davis had to, leave the Raiders logos and records behind, and just start fresh. I hated the LA deal, because it directly affected the Colts and other teams leaving, as it gave full rein to owners to leverage cities. I just wish the whole league had team ownership like the Packers. It's very cool for fans to be invested in their team and city, even if it's a single share of stock !

I agree with you.

I think leaving the old mascot behind would be best during a move, not only because it allows a city to keep it's old mascot but also because it allows to new city to pick a mascot that is appropriate for that city.  I don't want to change the Colt's name or mascot at this point because like you said, it's been too long.  But the Colts was a mascot for Baltimore because of the horse racing facilities in the area.  It's not really appropriate for Indiana or Indianapolis.  

On the ownership I also agree with you, that would make the whole thing more fun and prevent teams from leaving. I'm not sure what happens to the Packer's profits since they don't distribute it to share holders.  My guess is they likely bank it and use it later on for stadium renovations and the like along with selling shares of the team.  And if that's true the other big positive aspect of that is that the profits that the NFL team makes get's sent back into the community.  

Of course the problem is that ultimately the view of the NFL in general is that what's the point of all of this if a rich guy can't make a ton of money off of it?