Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New players uniform numbers [Merge]

ar1888

Walden wearing 93? That made me really upset. He must have some nerve... And don't say it's just a number because you guys wouldn't be saying that if some scrub qb came in and wore 18. Walden hasn't proven squat in the league at all and he's going to come in and wear 93 merely weeks after freeney left the team? At least wait a few years, come on now.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who is really upset and angered at that?

No. I really can't believe we'd let him have that number. He's now overpaid and took a legend's number weeks after his departure.

Seriously, Grigson has a ton riding on Walden's performance.

Colts have too many retired numbers anyway, and they're all from the Bmore days. You can pretty much add 18 and 88 to the list as well, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest that Walden is taking 93. It was never going to be retired here anyway so might as well just give him his old number. 

Pretty soon we're gonna have to give people numbers in the 100s if we keep it up...although that doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Maybe give someone the Pi symbol.

Some of you are really blowing this outta proportion. The number doesn't make the man, the man makes the number.

Freeney made 93, & now he's gone. It's a clean slate now. We can't retire every single number we'll start looking like college teams with multiple people having the same number

Wasn't Walden #93 up in Green Bay? If everyone else got their original numbers (Landry, Toler, Hasselbeck), why can't he have his?

It's really no big deal

There's a big difference man. Freeney is one of the all time greatest colts. Who wore 30? No one special. Who wore 8? No one special. Who wore 28? No one special.

Thre's a big difference man. Freeney is one of the all time greatest colts. Who wore 30? No one special. Who wore 8? No one special. Who wore 28? No one special.

We can't retire every single number just because a good player wore it. How many great players have played for the Colts?

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Edgerrin James

Jeff Saturday

Dallas Clark

Reggie Wayne

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

And Anyone I missed that's not in my era of football (I'm only 18 so I'm sure I missed a few)

That's too many numbers to be retiring

We can't retire every single number just because a good player wore it. How many great players have played for the Colts?

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Edgerrin James

Jeff Saturday

Dallas Clark

Reggie Wayne

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

And Anyone I missed that's not in my era of football (I'm only 18 so I'm sure I missed a few)

That's too many numbers to be retiring

I'm not saying retire it, it's just WAYYY too soon. Freeney is a legend in Indy and he only left a few weeks ago. At least give it a couple seasons know what I mean?

I'm not saying retire it, it's just WAYYY too soon. Freeney is a legend in Indy and he only left a few weeks ago. At least give it a couple seasons know what I mean?

Happens to the best of us. This is now Grigson's team. Freeney wasn't one of Grigson's players, so it's not his problem. I get what you're saying, but we're moving forward. New Era, New Team. A player deserves the right to have their number.if it's available. Now if Freeney was still here & they took his 93, then yeah that's just disrespectful but it's available so give it to him

Happens to the best of us. This is now Grigson's team. Freeney wasn't one of Grigson's players, so it's not his problem. I get what you're saying, but we're moving forward. New Era, New Team. A player deserves the right to have their number.if it's available. Now if Freeney was still here & they took his 93, then yeah that's just disrespectful but it's available so give it to him

You'd be singing quite a different tune if someone like Blaine gabbert came in and wore 18. There's just certain unwritten rules. Guy code if you will. You don't just come onto a brand new team, having proved absolutely nothing as far as a player, and take a legend's number only weeks after he left the team. I'd be more ok with it if a guy like Von miller wore it, because he's a great player, and would represent the number well. But Erik walden? He's nobody, and he hasn't proved otherwise. I'll be more than happy to eat crow if walden turns out to be a great player though.

You'd be singing quite a different tune if someone like Blaine gabbert came in and wore 18. There's just certain unwritten rules. Guy code if you will. You don't just come onto a brand new team, having proved absolutely nothing as far as a player, and take a legend's number only weeks after he left the team. I'd be more ok with it if a guy like Von miller wore it, because he's a great player, and would represent the number well. But Erik walden? He's nobody, and he hasn't proved otherwise. I'll be more than happy to eat crow if walden turns out to be a great player though.

The day we put Blaine Gabbert on this team is the day the apocalypse happens. And Peyton got his number retired so that's not possible. If the number isn't retired, it's fair play. If we wanted Freeney's number retired, we would've done it

Yo - is this official?  If Walden is wearing Dwight's number he cant win. When they said he was the worst FA signing - I gave him a pass because he's one of us now & he gets a chance to make his bed. But taking the jersey of the most productive DE the NFL has seen since he entered the league is borderline disrespectful. Like he's saying he is our Freeney now just by putting a number on.

I am going to assume someone is working a personal grudge out against Freeney we dont know about because I cant see how this could happen THIS soon. I dont think Luck could have even gotten away with taking 18. Crazy.   

This hatred for walden is so annoying really the nobody term is not necessary he could come here and be amazing on our team no one knows he hasn't even played one down here ppl won't give him a shot

Also not tryin to bash you or anything just sayin it in general

I personally would care none percent, if anyone decided to wear 18 again.

The Chicago Bears were told by the NFL you can't retire anymore numbers. So they will have great players numbers used till the end of time.

The number doesn't make the guy who wore it. It's just a number lol.

This hatred for walden is so annoying really the nobody term is not necessary he could come here and be amazing on our team no one knows he hasn't even played one down here ppl won't give him a shot

He is a nobody compared to freeney. He hasn't proven anything at all. I even said I'd be more than happy to eat crow if he turns out to be amazing, but I just don't see that happening. Walden plays for the colts now, so I'm pulling for him, and I hope he can be better than freeney. I'm not hating on the guy, it's just true. He's an unproven player, and he took a legends number merely weeks after he left. Not cool.

The Chicago Bears were told by the NFL you can't retire anymore numbers. So they will have great players numbers used till the end of time.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it's not just a number.

He is a nobody compared to freeney. He hasn't proven anything at all. I even said I'd be more than happy to eat crow if he turns out to be amazing, but I just don't see that happening. Walden plays for the colts now, so I'm pulling for him, and I hope he can be better than freeney. I'm not hating on the guy, it's just true. He's an unproven player, and he took a legends number merely weeks after he left. Not cool.

I understand ppl are upset about the number but it was his in GB if its available I don't blame him for wanting it I don't think he is coming in with the mindset that he is better then Freeney as some have posted

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it's not just a number.

I mean it really just is two numbers put together though lol.

Someone else using the same combination of digits doesn't change or eliminate those who wore those numbers before them.

Plus, freeney loved Indy, he even said he was expecting us to give him some lowball offer, and he would just accept it so he could retire a colt. You think he wouldn't be upset about a guy like walden, who hasn't done anything, wearing his number? Come on.

I mean it really just is two numbers put together though lol.

Someone else using the same combination of digits doesn't change or eliminate those who wore those numbers before them.

So you're saying that numbers shouldn't be retired at all, no matter how great they were? Because its just "two numbers put together?" Get out of here... Why do you think teams retire numbers man? Seriously. I guess I'm just overly passionate about the colts.

Plus, freeney loved Indy, he even said he was expecting us to give him some lowball offer, and he would just accept it so he could retire a colt. You think he wouldn't be upset about a guy like walden, who hasn't done anything, wearing his number? Come on.

1. I doubt that was going to happen as him asking for too much money is likely the reason he is still out of work. And don't give me the hometown discount speech lol.

2. He had a good run here, and someone wearing his number doesn't diminish that. It's just someone wearing a number from 1-99.

3. It's just a number. Respect the man not the math.

So you're saying that numbers shouldn't be retired at all, no matter how great they were? Because its just "two numbers put together?" Get out of here... Why do you think teams retire numbers man? Seriously. I guess I'm just overly passionate about the colts.

They retire numbers to show respect. But they aren't respecting the number they are respecting the individual lol.

Like I said Chicago won't be able to retire Urlachers number. Is that disrespectful?

Personally I could give a rip if they ever retire another number. I like the Ring of honor personally. And Peyton deserves a statue.

I understand ppl are upset about the number but it was his in GB if its available I don't blame him for wanting it I don't think he is coming in with the mindset that he is better then Freeney as some have posted

It's just disrespectful, that's what I'm trying to say. Some people might say its just a number, but I love football, and I love the colts like a family member. I'm very passionate about it. And it struck a chord, just makes me really upset.

It's just disrespectful, that's what I'm trying to say. Some people might say its just a number, but I love football, and I love the colts like a family member. I'm very passionate about it. And it struck a chord, just makes me really upset.

That's fine I understand that there will be some that don't like it and there will be some like me and house and TK that don't really care

They retire numbers to show respect. But they aren't respecting the number they are respecting the individual lol.

Like I said Chicago won't be able to retire Urlachers number. Is that disrespectful?

Personally I could give a rip if they ever retire another number. I like the Ring of honor personally. And Peyton deserves a statue.

If they were just respecting the individual, why would they retire numbers? You're contradicting yourself. The player is the number. Dwight freeney is 93, Peyton is 18, and Marvin is 88. The player. They retire numbers to show appreciation, and I'm not saying to retire 93. Freeney is a legend in Indy, but only players of Peyton's level should have their numbers retired. Im saying give it at least a season. As far as urlacher, do you really think some scrub is gonna come in and wear 54 right after he leaves the team? No. Just no.

If they were just respecting the individual, why would they retire numbers? You're contradicting yourself. The player is the number. Dwight freeney is 93, Peyton is 18, and Marvin is 88. The player. They retire numbers to show appreciation, and I'm not saying to retire 93. Freeney is a legend in Indy, but only players of Peyton's level should have their numbers retired. Im saying give it at least a season. As far as urlacher, do you really think some scrub is gonna come in and wear 54 right after he leaves the team? No. Just no.

haha there is no contradiction. I simply stated that they do it for respect to the guy. But it isn't disrespectful to not retire a number so ultimately it isn't the end all be all. If a team chooses to do it, it's a nice gesture but its really about the person being honored.

What difference does waiting a season make honestly?

"Hey Dwight we won't retire your number, but hey man, for a year no one will wear it."

Lol. It's not that big of a thing. Freeney will always be 93 here. Just like you say. Someone wearing it after him won't change that one bit.

Time to seek help....

I don't know if I believe in retiring numbers unless the guy is an absolute legend, They have the Ring of Honor for other great franchise players. No need to welcome so many players to the team by telling them they can't have their number they've had their whole career.

There's a big difference man. Freeney is one of the all time greatest colts. Who wore 30? No one special. Who wore 8? No one special. Who wore 28? No one special.

Marshal Faulk wore #28 He was a special player. For anyone who is too young to remember he was the Indianapolis Colts  for many years.

As long as no one wears 18, I don't care what number anybody wears. Vaughn can wear 32, Walden can wear 93, I don't care. And the 18 is different. Mr. Irsay said that he would never issue it ever again, and it will be retired ones Manning retires. That's a completely other story.

There has been alot of great Colts who's numbers never got retired,Mike Curtis wore # 32 back in the day,John Mackey was # 88 i believe,I don't see it as a big deal.You can't retire everyones number,you would run out of numbers after a while.

Thank you!

There has been alot of great Colts who's numbers never got retired,Mike Curtis wore # 32 back in the day,John Mackey was # 88 i believe,I don't see it as a big deal.You can't retire evryones number,you would run out of numbers after a while.

I think this point has not sunk home for some. There are only 101 possible numbers (including the ever popular 0 and 00). Subtract out any retired numbers. Then take into account that there are restrictions requiring certain positions to wear numbers within a range. Options are not unlimited, people.

Until the NFL decides to let players wear 3 digit numbers, fussing over Vaughn wearing 32 is a little silly. I kinda get the idea of letting 93 have a year or 2 before getting reused, but even that might be too sentimental for my taste.

Where I agree with some posters... if I were Walden, and people were already putting me on the hot seat for being overpriced and under talented, I probably wouldn't want to put myself in a long time fan favorite's number. Bad Kharma.

For me....quite honestly...I refuse to hold ANY athlete in such high regard that I consider someone else wearing their jersey number as some sort of act of blasphemy. There are hundreds of other jobs people do that are SLIGHTLY more important than chasing an inflated pig skin around for sport.

We saw some of them helping others in Boston yesterday.

I love the Colts no more or less than any other Colts fan...but this hero worship of athletes, I'm sorry....is getting carried away.

It's football and its fun....and that's where I'm keeping it. JMO :)