Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck

Andrew Luck  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Colts go all out to get Andrew Luck next year in the draft to replace Manning in the future, just as the Packers did with the transition from Farve to Rogers?

The Colts need a new quarterback to replace Peyton. Why not look now into future prospects to be the next Peyton Manning. Andrew Luck looks like the best one. So the Colts need to do anything in their power to get ahold of the #1 pick or some other way to get Luck. Then we can turn Luck into an amazing quarterback under Manning, just as the Packers have done replacing Farve with Aaron Rogers.

The Falcons traded up 21 spots to get Julio Jones, so it's not unrealistic. How much more could it be to get the 1st overall pick? Yes, it might take three 1st round draft picks (sigh), but without Peyton this team is restructuring anyways. I would literally get on the phone and tell the 1st overall team, "Name your price." Andrew Luck is that good. Even Kaepernick was going to Andrew Luck for advice, even though it was Kaepernick who was entering the NFL, not Luck!

Also, the Colts philosophy dictates they need excellent play at the QB position. Our defense plays best with a lead, to force opposing offenses into obvious passing down situations so our speed at defense and Defensive End can maul opponents. Furthermore, our run game sucks. We need an excellent passer to counteract this. If you think our run game is bad now, let's see how Curtis Painter does with it!

I say throw the chips in the Luck basket. Let's do this.

Regardless of what we do, however, I'll be anxious to see who else wants to trade up to get him. There will be a big bidding war over the phones for this guy.

The Falcons traded up 21 spots to get Julio Jones, so it's not unrealistic. How much more could it be to get the 1st overall pick? Yes, it might take three 1st round draft picks (sigh), but without Peyton this team is restructuring anyways. I would literally get on the phone and tell the 1st overall team, "Name your price." Andrew Luck is that good. Even Kaepernick was going to Andrew Luck for advice, even though it was Kaepernick who was entering the NFL, not Luck!

Also, the Colts philosophy dictates they need excellent play at the QB position. Our defense plays best with a lead, to force opposing offenses into obvious passing down situations so our speed at defense and Defensive End can maul opponents. Furthermore, our run game sucks. We need an excellent passer to counteract this. If you think our run game is bad now, let's see how Curtis Painter does with it!

I say throw the chips in the Luck basket. Let's do this.

Regardless of what we do, however, I'll be anxious to see who else wants to trade up to get him. There will be a big bidding war over the phones for this guy.

i rather not break the bank on one player and potentially set the franchise even more behind once peyton is gone

Guest BlueShoe

i rather not break the bank on one player and potentially set the franchise even more behind once peyton is gone

Yeah we did that before with George and we had a possible playoff team that we dismantled in the process which set us back to a 1-15 record a year later.

We basically traded away a first round pick, Hinton, and Rison and in the process had to trade away Chris Chandler too.

That trade also cost Ron Meyer his job, who was actually a decent coach who hated the trade and never bought into Jeff George which made it a downhill spiral for us.

IMO....the only scenario we could realistically do this under would be if we wind up drafting in the Top 5 as a result of our record.

If Peyton's rehab from neck surgery is much slower than expected or he has a setback that results in a record that puts us close to the top of the draft....then I'd happily favor a move for Andrew Luck.

But if Peyton's injury heals well and we are in our usual 10-13 win mode and a playoff spot...we simply WILL NOT have the ammunition to move up to the #1 overall spot where Luck will likely be drafted.

With the rookie salary cap having slashed guaranteed money to top picks by over 50%....see Bradford vs Newton's rookie deals....there would be a lot of teams more willing and able to move up to the top, and the price to get there will be far too steep if we are positioned in the 22-32 range on Draft Day.

If we're not in the Top 5 to begin with....it's just not gonna happen.

I'm going to leave this one to the Polians. Their draft strategy of taking the best player available should help us when we don't have Manning and we are transitioning. I don't think we need to go for Luck, we don't need to draft Manning's replacement until the 2013 draft if you ask me. Let's see how Luck does this year; Curtis Painter was considered a first round pick before he went back to Purdue for another year and ended up dropping way down in the draft.

If he drops to us yes. The Colts are going to end up in the 20s and perhaps the 30s. We shouldn't trade up for a backup quarterback, and if we draft him he'll have to wait around for 5 or so years. Rodgers waited around for 3 years to go his shot. If an Andrew Luck comes around in 4 years, then yes, but for right now... NO!

It doesn't matter how long Mannings successor sits on the bench, he's going to be an enormous step backwards regardless. The Packers pulled off something that few franchises ever do. I wouldn't assume that lightning will strike twice. Lets just milk the Manning era for as long as possible.

Realistically the next Colts QB will be average, and the next time we get an all-pro it will because we stunk so much that we earned a top pick in the right year. The last thing that I expect is a seamless transition and continued playoff berths.

Now if (God forbid) Manning's injury suddenly ended his career, I'd hope they'd go nuts pursuing Luck (if they think he's worth it). Try and trade Freeney, Clark, Wayne and Mathis to some of the crappier teams in the league for first round draft picks. If you have enough chances (or enough picks accumulated) maybe we get Luck(y)and start this all over again. Beats a long slow decline. The Colts turned around quickly in the early 70's after their Super Bowl team started to decline. The key was being horrible long enough to get Bert Jones. It's pointless to plan on being average ahead of time.

It doesn't matter how long Mannings successor sits on the bench, he's going to be an enormous step backwards regardless. The Packers pulled off something that few franchises ever do. I wouldn't assume that lightning will strike twice. Lets just milk the Manning era for as long as possible.

Realistically the next Colts QB will be average, and the next time we get an all-pro it will because we stunk so much that we earned a top pick in the right year. The last thing that I expect is a seamless transition and continued playoff berths.

Now if (God forbid) Manning's injury suddenly ended his career, I'd hope they'd go nuts pursuing Luck (if they think he's worth it). Try and trade Freeney, Clark, Wayne and Mathis to some of the crappier teams in the league for first round draft picks. If you have enough chances (or enough picks accumulated) maybe we get Luck(y)and start this all over again. Beats a long slow decline. The Colts turned around quickly in the early 70's after their Super Bowl team started to decline. The key was being horrible long enough to get Bert Jones. It's pointless to plan on being average ahead of time.

No way would I want them to trade those guys if Manning gets hurt. Those guys will be here after Manning is gone, trading them will just hurt the team more. Keep the vets around so when Manning retires and leaves, the new QB has experienced guys around him to lead the team instead of a bunch of rookies.

luck will be the first overall pick and the front office will never go up that far to get manning . the only way we get a top ten pick is if peyton doesnt play all year. and i really want the colts to have the 32nd pick next year and i think everyone here agrees with that

I still like Kellen Moore from Boise State. He will be a mid-low round guy, so he is a lower risk guy with a very high potential. If he ends up on the right team, especially if there is a veteran quarterback to groom and mentor him, I see him prospering into an eventual starter. That being said, if he goes to the wrong team, he'll never be any good.

Rodgers didn't go No.1 overall. We should do what we always do and take the best available player on the board. If that happens to be QB then I'm all for it, if not I'm not worried. No way should the Colts worry about trading up unless this season falls apart and we're already in the top 5. With the new rookie salaries and all the Andrew Luck hype the No.1 overall pick has probably never had higher trade value. pacolts has the right idea on this.

Rodgers didn't go No.1 overall. We should do what we always do and take the best available player on the board. If that happens to be QB then I'm all for it, if not I'm not worried. No way should the Colts worry about trading up unless this season falls apart and we're already in the top 5. With the new rookie salaries and all the Andrew Luck hype the No.1 overall pick has probably never had higher trade value. pacolts has the right idea on this.

If you're referring to me as the one with the trading up talk i was being theoretical. I know we won't trade up. We hardly ever do.

No, I think we're on the same page.

I was more responding to the idea that trading up to get Andrew Luck is in any significant way similar to Green Bay getting Rodgers. If memory serves Alex Smith was the number 1 overall that year. Just think if the Packers had taken the OP advice they might be starting Alex Smith at QB. I wasn't very clear because I probably was not very sober.

• 2 weeks later...

well how bout them browns ? after a disgusting loss like that one, we are for sure in the luck sweepstakes. we took the crown for worst team in the league today:(

Yeah this team is just AWEFULL. And it starts with COACHING. We arent doing anything this year so we might as well get a consilation prize in Luck in the end.

Taking Luck if he were available when we draft would be bad enough imo. Trading up to get him and giving up who knows how many current and future draft picks is just horrible. People are still complaining about our defense (which I put more on the defensive coaches than players...but there still are areas of need on defense) and our OL. If we were to trade up to get Luck then we put him behind the same offensive line and with the same defense on the field and we lose who knows how many draft picks we could otherwise use to help fill our other holes. Instead we now have a new franchise QB but it'll be 2-3 years before we can really go back to improving other areas of need unless we find several more gems in the later rounds like Bethea. But let's face it, finding that Bethea like player in the 6th round isn't going to happen very often.