Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Podcast - Dungy Says Peyton's Neck First Hurt In 06 Vs Redskins,

bayone

Is this the hit where Manning was bent over backward, lost him helmet and the hit looked really dirty but was not called? Not sure if anyone knows what I mean...

Yep, that's the one.

I was there as well, and it was scary.

And for the record, a correction -- Manning has won THREE MVPs since that play. Let's not forget his Super Bowl MVP.

Is this the hit where Manning was bent over backward, lost him helmet and the hit looked really dirty but was not called? Not sure if anyone knows what I mean...

I remember the one you're talking about. One guy went for Peyton's legs going forward and one guy hit him high going backwards. bent him like a pretzel. Probably the one Dungy is talking about.

I remember the one you're talking about. One guy went for Peyton's legs going forward and one guy hit him high going backwards. bent him like a pretzel. Probably the one Dungy is talking about.

Thanks guys. When I heard about this yesterday, that was the first image that clicked in my head. I remember the look on Manning's face, a mixture of pain and, being the consummate professional, wondering how the heck he could get mugged like that and no flag. I seem to remember red marks on his face as well.

I've been trying to locate the video but have come up empty handed. If anyone has it, please post.

Yep! To this day I wonder why there wasn't a penalty called on that play. It was dirty as bleep and IMO they were purposely trying to take him out. I've despised the :spew: Redskins ever since.

Laron Landry was defending both Jermichael Finley and Dallas Clark last year in back-to-back games before they both went out for the season, I don't think it is a co-incidence. I don't care for that guy.

TEs better watch out if they are defended by the safety Laron Landry. That is why I did not mind it when that punk Landry was owned by another punk DJax who showboated when he caught that MNF TD pass from Vick and ran past him last year :-).

Let us hope for an injury free game tonight, I will be there :-).

Yep! To this day I wonder why there wasn't a penalty called on that play. It was dirty as bleep and IMO they were purposely trying to take him out. I've despised the :spew: Redskins ever since.

It wasn't dirty; it was just awkward. Manning got hit low from behind just as another defender was closing in on him from the front. The defender coming in from the front positioned himself to hit Manning square in the chest, but just as he was getting there Manning dropped to his knees because of the hit from behind. Because Manning's entire body dropped just as the defender was getting there, the defender ended up hitting him in the head instead of the chest. On top of that, his legs got pinned under the defender that hit him from behind, and he got rolled back over the defender. He got twisted like a pretzel. It was an awkward hit that made my heart skip a beat because I thought I might have just seen the last play of Manning's career, but it wasn't dirty. It was more the result of coincidence. Both defenders individually made clean hits, but the combination was brutal.

It wasn't dirty; it was just awkward. Manning got hit low from behind just as another defender was closing in on him from the front. The defender coming in from the front positioned himself to hit Manning square in the chest, but just as he was getting there Manning dropped to his knees because of the hit from behind. Because Manning's entire body dropped just as the defender was getting there, the defender ended up hitting him in the head instead of the chest. On top of that, his legs got pinned under the defender that hit him from behind, and he got rolled back over the defender. He got twisted like a pretzel. It was an awkward hit that made my heart skip a beat because I thought I might have just seen the last play of Manning's career, but it wasn't dirty. It was more the result of coincidence. Both defenders individually made clean hits, but the combination was brutal.

I agree it was not dirty but there should have been a flag on that play. His helmet got ripped off because one of the redskins got a hold of his helmet, trust me I have that play burned into my mind. The reason I say there should have been a flag because the rule says anytime you touch the QB's helmet there is to be a flag and earlier in the game they took a sack a way from Freeney because he barely touched the Redskin's helmet and he was tucking avoid a big hit on a sack. If you are going to call it ticky tack one way you have to call it both ways.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/coltshighlights/2006week7redskins.htm

Check that picture plan as day he has his arm around Peyton's neck with his arm in Peyton's facemask, that's roughing the passer if I've ever seen it. Not to mention they slamed his head into the field. There should have been a flag, if Brady gets one because a guy get's in the same zip code as his knees there is no way you can agrue there shouldn't have been a flag on that play. The leauge also fined Daniels (one of the guys who hit Peyton) $5000 for it, they generaly don't fine you unless their should have been a flag and it was a clean hit. Clearly it was not.

I agree it was not dirty but there should have been a flag on that play. His helmet got ripped off because one of the redskins got a hold of his helmet, trust me I have that play burned into my mind. The reason I say there should have been a flag because the rule says anytime you touch the QB's helmet there is to be a flag and earlier in the game they took a sack a way from Freeney because he barely touched the Redskin's helmet and he was tucking avoid a big hit on a sack. If you are going to call it ticky tack one way you have to call it both ways.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/coltshighlights/2006week7redskins.htm

Check that picture plan as day he has his arm around Peyton's neck with his arm in Peyton's facemask, that's roughing the passer if I've ever seen it. Not to mention they slamed his head into the field. There should have been a flag, if Brady gets one because a guy get's in the same zip code as his knees there is no way you can agrue there shouldn't have been a flag on that play. The leauge also fined Daniels (one of the guys who hit Peyton) $5000 for it, they generaly don't fine you unless their should have been a flag and it was a clean hit. Clearly it was not.

You are correct. This is back when illegal contact to the QB's head was called if a defender so much as finger-swiped it. The egrigious nature of the hit was strong enough that it actually should have warrented a penalty no matter what Manning's position was. Players aren't supposed to use the Helmet to tackle a player..ie. grabbing any part of the helmet and pulling, clamping or otherwise utilizing it as a hand hold for a tackle. We saw last week, Suh get fined $20,000 and receive a 15 YD flag for clamping his bear paws around QB Andy Dalton's helmet and flailing him to the ground with it.

Thank you GoColts8818 for posting that pic. You can see the obvious pain in Manning's eyes in one of those pictures, straight creepy look on his face. Manning was a beast for getting right up after that and continueing to play. After all these years, that play was the first thing I thought of when I heard about Dungy's comments, even though I had completely forgotten it was the Redskins that did it.

You are correct. This is back when illegal contact to the QB's head was called if a defender so much as finger-swiped it. The egrigious nature of the hit was strong enough that it actually should have warrented a penalty no matter what Manning's position was. Players aren't supposed to use the Helmet to tackle a player..ie. grabbing any part of the helmet and pulling, clamping or otherwise utilizing it as a hand hold for a tackle. We saw last week, Suh get fined $20,000 and receive a 15 YD flag for clamping his bear paws around QB Andy Dalton's helmet and flailing him to the ground with it.

Thank you GoColts8818 for posting that pic. You can see the obvious pain in Manning's eyes in one of those pictures, straight creepy look on his face. Manning was a beast for getting right up after that and continueing to play. After all these years, that play was the first thing I thought of when I heard about Dungy's comments, even though I had completely forgotten it was the Redskins that did it.

Oh I remember every bit of that hit (which is ironic because it's one of the very few Colts games I didn't watch live since 1991). When Peyton cameback and played at super stud level in the second half I remember thinking I dare anyone to ever question Peyton Manning's toughness again. I also remember the power rankings that week. The note next to the Colts said, Note to the NFL, don't make Peyton Manning mad.

You won't believe this. The refereee that blew the possession call on the onside kick in the SB vs NO was the same referee that made the "no call" in 2006 vs Redsins when Manning got hurt !!!! One Mr. Scott Green !!!!!

I to this day (putting on tin foil hat) think the refs let that onside kick scrum go on WAY too long....I think the Colts had it in the pile, and the refs took their dear sweet time unpiling everyone. I watch a lot of games and most piles (fumbles, onside kicks) take maybe at most 15-20 seconds to unpile...It took nearly a MINUTE for the refs to unpile them in the SB...All the while Sean Payton and the assistants are virtually in the pile just adding to the confusion. I know I need to let it go, but this comment brought back a lot of bad memories. Baskett could have ended it all by not letting it bounce off his helmet.

I to this day (putting on tin foil hat) think the refs let that onside kick scrum go on WAY too long....I think the Colts had it in the pile, and the refs took their dear sweet time unpiling everyone. I watch a lot of games and most piles (fumbles, onside kicks) take maybe at most 15-20 seconds to unpile...It took nearly a MINUTE for the refs to unpile them in the SB...All the while Sean Payton and the assistants are virtually in the pile just adding to the confusion. I know I need to let it go, but this comment brought back a lot of bad memories. Baskett could have ended it all by not letting it bounce off his helmet.

I remember saying during that play (before they said Saints ball) the refs needed to get control of the game. It was just poor officating there. Oh well we had other chances to win the game and didn't get it done.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the previous possession (or close to it, can't remember exactly), Dwight Freeney was called for an "Illegal Contact" when he sacked Mark Brunell. It was one of those tackles where Freeney was coming from the side, and as he swiped his arm down it brushed across the front of Brunell's helmet. If I remember correctly, it extended the Redskins drive and I believe they scored a TD a few plays later.