Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano vs. Caldwell/Dungy

Michael Lebron

Dungy could do some coaching. I never once saw Caldwell "coach up" guys during a game. Dungy should not have had any say in the replacement coach, but it's in the past now.

I "like" Pagano, but we don't really know anything about Sunday's with him on the sideline yet.

Looking for answers where there is none seems to be the mode around here right now.

We'll have to see some post game footage following a win to really form an opinion.

Most of us have seen Dungy in the locker room after a game, and I've even seen Cardboard Jim become 0.7% more animated after a win. At first glance Pagano seems to be more fiery. Likely seems to have a bit more of a George Carlin vocabulary than say Billy Graham.

With that said it's hard to form a solid opinion at this point.

Like fish said, Dungy would grab the white board and actually go coach. I never saw that from Caldwell. You see it from Belichick on a weekly basis. Rex Ryan the same thing. Pagano will be more hands on while Caldwell was more CEO. Hands on is a good thing.

Not sure what's the point about this thread.. but what do you want to see different?

It doesn't matter whether a coach is breaking down the post game play with a calm tactful demeanor while smiling.. or is jumping up and down and yelling and screaming out of control while sweating.

It's all about who was victorious when the last whistle went off.

Our exceptional years of success proves that(Despite one bad year).

I always thought too much was made of Caldwell's sideline demeanor. I really prefer my head coach making game management decisions, and my coordinators calling plays and position coaches working out specific kinks. Everyone once in a while those paths intersect, but the fact that Caldwell wasn't the kind of guy to grab a whiteboard and coach up the receivers never really bothered me. And there were several games where we'd implement adjustments on either side of the ball after halftime, so something was obviously going on in the lockerroom. Phil Jackson always says the real coaching is done behind the scenes, not on the sideline, and he's a different kind of cat, but he also has 11 championships, so...

I guess everyone has their own style, and that's fine. I just never subscribed to the idea that Caldwell wasn't a good coach or was just a puppet because his hair wasn't on fire.

Hate to say but I think Belichick does it best. He's a leader in the locker room, vocal on the sidelines (also loves that dry erase board of his), yet doesn't give the media much to write about. That to me are the ideal qualities of a head coach and if what I've seen from him in Baltimore is true, Pagano should give us a little bit of that in Indy.

Hate to say but I think Belichick does it best. He's a leader in the locker room, vocal on the sidelines (also loves that dry erase board of his), yet doesn't give the media much to write about. That to me are the ideal qualities of a head coach and if what I've seen from him in Baltimore is true, Pagano should give us a little bit of that in Indy.

There is no one like Belichick. I've come to appreciate that more and more over the past four or five years. He fits no mold. One series he'll be coaching the offensive linemen, the next he's with the defensive backs, the next he's talking to the special teams cover unit, the next he's workshopping with Brady. No territory unconquered.

If Pagano has common genes with that guy, we did a great job hiring. But in reality, whether anyone is ever as successful or iconic as Belichick, past, present or future, he's a unique individual. And a great coach. Like him or not...

We'll have to see some post game footage following a win to really form an opinion.

Most of us have seen Dungy in the locker room after a game, and I've even seen Cardboard Jim become 0.7% more animated after a win. At first glance Pagano seems to be more fiery. Likely seems to have a bit more of a George Carlin vocabulary than say Billy Graham.

Like fish said, Dungy would grab the white board and actually go coach. I never saw that from Caldwell. You see it from Belichick on a weekly basis. Rex Ryan the same thing. Pagano will be more hands on while Caldwell was more CEO. Hands on is a good thing.

I cracked up.

Whaaa... Billy Graham would at least inspire someone... and when ratings went down he made changes...

and yes the new coach better be hands on when Peyton Manning is GONE. ... And a rookie is coming in.

There is no one like Belichick. I've come to appreciate that more and more over the past four or five years. He fits no mold. One series he'll be coaching the offensive linemen, the next he's with the defensive backs, the next he's talking to the special teams cover unit, the next he's workshopping with Brady. No territory unconquered.

If Pagano has common genes with that guy, we did a great job hiring. But in reality, whether anyone is ever as successful or iconic as Belichick, past, present or future, he's a unique individual. And a great coach. Like him or not...

a Tom Brady will also help.... Believe it ... A great coach is only as good as his QB. Dungy won big with one and without one. BB he was a flop in Cleve. And a flop in NE with D Bledsoe.... until Brady. Who at the time took care of the ball and let the D win games. Now late in his career, Brady is CARRYING NE Manning style.

I love BB also, and Brady as well... true winners. But BB was a few L's away form being fired in NE.....

Also the whole BB is a D genius? He is a genius when he has TALENT. And NE has been drafting terribly for a long time now.

upgrading average talent on D.

Week 1 victory post game speech after beating The Bears goes like this:

Pagano..... Says what?

Caldwell/Dungy

Interesting to finally here something from coaches besides the interviews and press conferences we have heard for the last decade.

Everyboyd LOVES the new coach before he's coached a game..

The love train derails once we lose a few

The other aspect is half time adjustments where I am positive Dungy had a bigger role when the team came out in the 3rd qtr.

Even in the 2010 year, though injuries were a part, our third quarter play was nowhere close to the Dungy days. Yes, we made a living out of our 4th qtr. comebacks in 2009, our last SB year under Peyton, but even then the 3rd quarters were mediocre in comparison to the Dungy days which also led to bigger 4th qtr. deficits we had to overcome. We overcame those 4th qtr. deficits in 2009, but folded more often in 2010, we were 1-4 in 4th qtr. comeback wins and the only win was the last game of the season where geriatric Kerry Collins fumbled the snap and we recovered it.

I am sure if you put the 3rd qtr. stats of 2009-2010 when Peyton was QB and compared them to the Dungy days, you will see a difference.