Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positional Breakdown: Running Backs

Andy

Today's entry is about the running backs.

The running back spot is loaded with depth, but there isn't necessarily a true starter.

The Colts have been spending quite a bit of draft picks on running backs in recent years. They spent a first round pick in 2009 on Donald Brown, a 4th round pick in 2011 on Delone Carter, and a 5th round pick this last draft on Vick Ballard. All 3 are on the team right now, with Donald Brown as the starter, with Carter and Ballard as the backups. The question is: Is Donald Brown really the clear-cut starter?

Donald Brown has had a slow start to his career. During his 3 years with the Colts, he has been the backup to Joseph Addai, but has gotten a significant amount of time due to Addai's injuries. He hasn't really had an impact during his career, although he did have a fantastic ending to his 2011 campaign. Those last few games cemented his status as the starter, but with the addition of Vick Ballard and the developement of Delone Carter, we must ask again: Is Donald Brown really the clear-cut starter?

We'll answer that later.

Let's talk about current backup Delone Carter. Delone looked good... and bad last year. He was just too inconsistent. Some plays he would run hard and get some good yardage, and on others, he fumbled. Delone Carter fumbled 3 times last year. Now, he only had 101 rushes, so that's an average of 1 fumble per 34 carries. That's not good. If he can get that fumbling problem under control, he can become a great backup. Unfortunately, I just don't believe that he can become a starter, or a feature back as he cannot handle that kind of workload, Also, his motor isn't great as he clearly took some plays off last year, so having an inconsistent motor is not something you want in a feature back. He has the potential to be a Brandon Jacobs like backup, but that's it.

Vick Ballard may be the 3rd stringer now, but he has the potential to be the starter by the middle of the season. Ballard is a very strong running back, who has overlooked speed and elusiveness. He outshined Brown and Carter in the minicamp, and had a solid college career, considering he didn't get that many snaps. Ballard is a good all around back, which is something you can't say about Carter, and he's more well rounded than Brown. He's going to be something good!

Then, the Colts also have Darren Evans, Mewelde Moore, and Deji Karim as potential roster players. Karim and Moore are NFL veterans, with Moore having the better career. Evans had an impressive preseason last season, before being demoted to the practice squad. The team has depth.

Now, let's go back to the orginal question: Is Donald Brown a clear-cut starter? No, he is not. You can't say that the latter part of last season is enough for him to get the starting job. He must prove it in training camp and preseason. The Colts should have "open tryouts" within the group for the starting spot. The best guy should get that job, and right now, I'm not convinced that the best guy is Brown. He must prove he's the best because a couple of games in a 3 year career won't back up his case.

This group has a lot of potential, but as of right now, all it really has is a bunch of good players, with a risky player as the starter.

Rating (Out of 5):

5star2.5.gif

Can you link me to anything saying Ballard has outshined (outshone? Idk) Brown and Carter? All I have heard is how great Brown has been.

Well I saw Day 1 (media pass) and saw a lot of Day 2, and he was definitely the guy who looked the best of the 3.

Coach David Walker said this:

Colts RB coach David Walker: Vick's doing a nice job. He's a smart kid. He's a hard worker in terms of his effort in the classroom and understanding the concepts. He's going out there and making plays. So, for being involved in it for, you know, three weeks or whatever it's been, he's done a really nice job of picking things up and impressing his teammates.

Also, every Colts blogger including Mike Chappel, believe that he impressed the most between the running backs at the minicamp.

It's a make or break season for Donald. If he doesn't provide over 1,000 rushing yards this season, I think he's done.

I know most of you are pulling for Carter Ballard and Brown but I'd like to see Delone Carter do well. I think he has the most potential out of the three.

Well I saw Day 1 (media pass) and saw a lot of Day 2, and he was definitely the guy who looked the best of the 3.

Coach David Walker said this:

Colts RB coach David Walker: Vick's doing a nice job. He's a smart kid. He's a hard worker in terms of his effort in the classroom and understanding the concepts. He's going out there and making plays. So, for being involved in it for, you know, three weeks or whatever it's been, he's done a really nice job of picking things up and impressing his teammates.

Also, every Colts blogger including Mike Chappel, believe that he impressed the most between the running backs at the minicamp.

Alright. It should be fun to see who wins.

I know most of you are pulling for Carter but I'd like to see Delone Carter do well. I think he has the most potential out of the three.

Is the first Carter supposed to be Brown or Ballard?

Donald most definetly had some moments last year. He is more of a north south running back versus the "dancing"behind the line style of running that Joseph Addai tried to make famous. :loco:

I believe that Donald will be our best bet at this point, and should only get better as the season progresses. The talent that is vying for a spot on the team should create competition, which should prove as motivation. Should is the optimal word here. Any way that you look at, we should be in capable hands when the season starts. Only time will tell.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!

Brown is the starter.....

Everyone looks good before they play reguarly

Brown average more than 4.5 per carry which is more than enough.

I dont care where he was drafted..he did what we asked last year....and he hanst fumbled

Its hard to discuss the RBs because we dont know if the Colts will be running the ball that much.

the draft would indicate we're throwing the ball a LOT.

But gettng back to Brown,. You dont have to be the clear cut starter. You just have to shwo up and hold onto the ball.

Brown is the starter.....

Everyone looks good before they play reguarly

Brown average more than 4.5 per carry which is more than enough.

I dont care where he was drafted..he did what we asked last year....and he hanst fumbled

Its hard to discuss the RBs because we dont know if the Colts will be running the ball that much.

the draft would indicate we're throwing the ball a LOT.

But gettng back to Brown,. You dont have to be the clear cut starter. You just have to shwo up and hold onto the ball.

Is this because we drafted replacements to potential recievers we lost? Or when we drafted that running back?

I'm being unfair. As you said Brown was solid for us, and people are way too harsh on him.

Donald Brown had 4.8 yards per carry now with that said he had a BROKEN PLAY 80 yard run, without that broken play he would have averaged 4.2 which as far as running backs go would not have cracked the top 50

Donald Brown had 4.8 yards per carry now with that said he had a BROKEN PLAY 80 yard run, without that broken play he would have averaged 4.2 which as far as running backs go would not have cracked the top 50

O.K., now go through all running back stats and remove all yardage gained on broken plays.

Then compare the stats.

Ok, Vick Ballard is the LEFT Handed RB right? I hope he can adjust when we run to the Right. Ball Switching & Placement will be KEY for him to Start. I like him as a Player, but that would be my only worry about him. My Guess for the Starting Job ( In Order) 1. Brown (Veteran of the RB's technically) & the 3RD Down Back will be a Rotation of Ballard & Carter cause I think they Pass Block BETTER than Donald Brown. Ballard is from Miss. State ( Spread Offense) so he SHOULD be able to Pass Block

Brown has never impressed me except for one play against ( I think) Titans where he was stopped in the back field and Orlov threw that great block. That's it. Carter has butter fingers, so if he can cure himself of that, he'll be alright. I'm hyped to see Ballard and now Moore out there.

Just please give me some passes to the RB out of the backfield!!!!

I think some of us are missing one key point that was pointed out to me a while back, for a running back to get yards and be productive they have to have that mean and physical O Line playing together as a unit, Also I have no doubts any one of our running backs can carry the load but I think some have different definitions of what that means, I think 'carrying the load' simply means being able to have at least the league average of number carries per game which if my math is correct was 26.4 last year. Donald Brown had 30.5 carries per game his senior year at Connecticut which yes the college game is different but still 30.5 carries per game is still 30.5 carries per game so I have no question he can carry the load, My question has always been about his decision making

Can someone post Ballards measurables again.

Combine Results Height › 5102 Weight › 219 Arm › 31¾ Hand › 9½ 40-Time › 4.65 Vertical › 33 Broad › 9'7" Bench Press › 23 Shuttle › 4.19 Cone › 7.03

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/rb/vick-ballard/

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=105066&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=3061

http://nflmocks.com/2011/12/19/vick-ballard-scouting-report-rb-mississippi-state/

I've seen him compared to Arian Foster: smooth runner, powerful, decisive, soft hands, complete back. That's best case scenario, obviously. But everything I've heard from people who have scoured the film on him suggests he has the tools. And I love that we got him late in the draft, right were I projected we'd draft a back, if we did at all.

Can you link me to anything saying Ballard has outshined (outshone? Idk) Brown and Carter? All I have heard is how great Brown has been.

I've graduated from university, cegep, and high school, and I swear on my mother's head that no one ever told me that "outshined" was not a word. I guess I have the same IQ as a tree bark. :(

However, it's never to late to learn.

I've graduated from university, cegep, and high school, and I swear on my mother's head that no one ever told me that "outshined" was not a word. I guess I have the same IQ as a tree bark. :(

However, it's never to late to learn.

I wasn't correcting, I was wondering which, if either, was correct.

I think Delone can be a very solid short yardage back, in fact I can remember Polian saying that on the radio, something to the extent that he was drafted as a short yardage back. Unfortunately, the Colts deviated from using him strictly as a short yardage back and things didn't work out well. With the RB situation and Addai being banged (again)l ast year, it's really no surprise.

I think each back can play a speciality roll. I really hope DB shines this year but seeing VB in action (highlights) that guy can cut like crazy. Physically I think he does have the tools to be a starter, at the same time so does DB with Tomlinson like speed and size.

It sure will be interesting to see them all in action.

This might be a bold prediction or just my high hopes for a backfield, but could the Colts become a "Running Back by Committee" attack? I like a lot of little things from each of Brown, Carter, and Ballard, but not a lot from just one. I think being committed to rotating them regularly will present great challenges against opposing defenses and coordinators. As for Evans, I believe he is a goner. There hasn't been much talk about the kid from Jacksonville, Deji Karim. He's a lightening-rod, could we not find a way to use him?