Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Eli Manning underrated?

bap1331

I see the whole media not giving him any credibility when they make the top quarterbacks in the league list. The reason most people say is...

"His inconsistency in the regular season."

I mean is there anything wrong with that when you took away 2 Super Bowls from a powerhouse team? Is there something against the Mannings?

But when you look at Peyton. People say, "His regular season stats dont matter if you cant win a Super Bowl...". Just because he only has one and supposedly "choked" on the second one...

i think the shoot at eli is the giants are not his team. you think of the pats you think of tom brady. you think of the saints you think of drew brees. you think of the packers you think of aaron rodgers. that team is driven by defense

Simple reason, he is very limited in visibility. He leads by example but is not as vocal with the media as the defensive guys who love to talk more to the media. So, his importance takes a backseat to say a Justin Tuck or Michael Strahan or JPP, who hog the limelight more in the media.

If regular season is the barometer, he took a big step last year with 7 4th qtr. comebacks in 1 season, 1 more than Peyton has (6), I think. It does not get better than that. The Giants' D was not as good in the regular season as it was in the postseason (injuries and inconsistency being the reasons). But he needs more regular seasons like last season for fans to get behind his QB prowess as something consistent every season.

I disagree that the Giants are defensive oriented. They are more RB oriented than pass oriented like the Pats, Saints or the Packers or the old Peyton led Colts, and that is a big part. A loud mouthed Brandon Jacobs or a Bradshaw garners the TDs even if Eli marches them down the field. That is how the Giants have always operated.

because when he's bad he's really bad and he goes into slumps that last for weeks at a time. guys like brees, brady, p. manning might mix in a clunker avery now and then and follow it up with a few weeks of 400 yds 3 TD games.

i also think eli is starting to get his credit as of late.

I see the whole media not giving him any credibility when they make the top quarterbacks in the league list. The reason most people say is...

I mean is there anything wrong with that when you took away 2 Super Bowls from a powerhouse team? Is there something against the Mannings?

But when you look at Peyton. People say, "His regular season stats dont matter if you cant win a Super Bowl...". Just because he only has one and supposedly "choked" on the second one...

Eli has been given serious consideration to be considered amongst the best QBs in the league based on last season, because he had a great season. If he sustains it or improves further, the momentum will build. It takes awhile for sentiments like this to become generally accepted.

The simple reason that he hasn't gotten this consideration previously is that he hasn't been even remotely as accomplished as the best QBs in the league. More importantly he hasn't been remotely as accomplished as two guys from the same draft - one of which he was traded for. Sure, he had a good run to the first SB, but frankly without that many fans would have eaten him for lunch on a constant basis (just as the coach would have long since been run out of town). The SB might have been the only thing keeping people from calling him a bust. On a week by week basis he has too often been either invisible or directly responsible for the team losing. Who has EVER said that about Peyton? And the team has been known largely for running and defense, with Eli throwing in just enough 4th quarter comebacks for people to keep their hopes up that he can be special.

But associating it with a prejudice against the Mannings is a bizarre sort of paranoia considering that Peyton has been THE face of the entire league (and an assumed first ballot hall of famer even by those that don't like him) for nearly a decade. I thought that you were talking about media? The comments you mention are more like what you'd hear from particularly obnoxious Patriot fans. The rankings of one brother has little to do with the other - except perhaps that Eli may sometimes suffer from the comparison.

because when he's bad he's really bad and he goes into slumps that last for weeks at a time. guys like brees, brady, p. manning might mix in a clunker avery now and then and follow it up with a few weeks of 400 yds 3 TD games.

i also think eli is starting to get his credit as of late.

\

Well said.... when he's bad, he can be really bad. But when he gets hot, he can really get on a roll. And he got on a very long, very impressive roll last year that really showed off some serious talent. But in some of the years where the Giants either didn't make the playoffs, or were bounced out early, he'd make some plays that would make you want to pull the hair out of your head.

Perhaps he's now reaching the point where everything is slowing down for home and everything is coming together. That point is different for every player. Perhaps his came later. But I think those here in this thread who are saying he's finally getting his due recognition are right.... I think Eli is on the short list of best QB's. He's not just the other Manning anymore.

Because he sucks.

And to the poster who said that JPP is one of the vocal leaders of the Giants - Well, that would require him having the ability to form a coherent sentence.

Guy makes Chris Johnson look like a Rhodes Scholar.

Because he sucks.

And to the poster who said that JPP is one of the vocal leaders of the Giants - Well, that would require him having the ability to form a coherent sentence.

Guy makes Chris Johnson look like a Rhodes Scholar.

JPP is not a vocal leader in the locker room as much as he is vocal/visible with the media. He was on NFL Network the other day and was not as bad as you make him out to be in your reference to CJ2K. But hey, you are the Giants fan, you probably know him better. :)

JPP is not a vocal leader in the locker room as much as he is vocal/visible with the media. He was on NFL Network the other day and was not as bad as you make him out to be in your reference to CJ2K. But hey, you are the Giants fan, you probably know him better. :)

Eh, I was exaggerating a bit. The guy has had some improvements, but really, it's painful listening to his locker room interviews.

Eli has gotten a bit better too, but he's still an awkward talker himself, but for different reasons.

Eli is a beast in the playoffs.

I think that Eli is surrounded with similar talent and chemistry on his team, and when one of them are down they are all down, and when they are on a roll they can ride that rush all the way to the superbowl and win it all, no matter who is in their way.

He is only underrated because of his stats.

Eli is underrated because Eli plays ugly. Unlike guys like Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers he really doesn't wow you with his play MOST of the time that you watch him. He just barely hangs in there until an opportunity to make a back-breaking play arises and then he capitalizes on it. He's almost got kind of a sandlot mentality to him... he's not always a good pure QB but he still finds unusual ways to make things work in his favor.

I likened him to Sanchize-esque (to use a current example) hot garbage until the 2007 playoffs rolled around. Then he seemingly transformed into a playmaker overnight and, despite remaining quite inconsistent, has only been getting better. His team still scares me more than he does, though, and that has to be a pretty big factor as well.

Eli Manning is often stoic and emotionless. Nothing phases him. Throw a pick...Ho Hum. No worries. He has amnesia & will throw a TD in the next offensive series. I admire that quality most about him personally. Plus, the NFC Championship Game against the 49ers easily demonstrated his mental & physical toughness in my mind. I also enjoy how the Giants are always a thorn in the side of Jerry Jones, Tony Romo, & the Dallas Cowboys too.

Like Gramz said, Eli has two SB rings, he could care less how people outside the NY locker room view his legacy. He has acquired "My Precious" twice against the stellar NE Patriots franchise when the lights were the brightest of all. Nothing else matters. End of story.

\

Well said.... when he's bad, he can be really bad. But when he gets hot, he can really get on a roll. And he got on a very long, very impressive roll last year that really showed off some serious talent. But in some of the years where the Giants either didn't make the playoffs, or were bounced out early, he'd make some plays that would make you want to pull the hair out of your head.

Perhaps he's now reaching the point where everything is slowing down for home and everything is coming together. That point is different for every player. Perhaps his came later. But I think those here in this thread who are saying he's finally getting his due recognition are right.... I think Eli is on the short list of best QB's. He's not just the other Manning anymore.

Yes, the game is slowing down for Eli no question. "He's not the other Manning anymore." Yes, Eli has certainly stepped out from Peyton's shadow, but in clutch moments I still prefer Peyton over Eli.

Because the last three years are 8-8, 10-6, 9-7

Those are not great numbers for top flight quarterbacks so while he is a good one, he's not a great one....unless he gets another ring after yet another mediocre season. Then the Giants will be remembered as a great TEAM with good players.

The whole talk about him not being Elite or anything less then elite is absolute nonsense, He is one of the best, hes got 2 Super Bowl rings, he was tied for 6th in the league in touchdowns passes this year, he was 4th the year before with 31, 9th before that. besides how many quarterbacks playing today would you want to lead your team on a last minute drive to win the game before him? Peyton, Brady, Brees, who else?

The whole talk about him not being Elite or anything less then elite is absolute nonsense, He is one of the best, hes got 2 Super Bowl rings, he was tied for 6th in the league in touchdowns passes this year, he was 4th the year before with 31, 9th before that. besides how many quarterbacks playing today would you want to lead your team on a last minute drive to win the game before him? Peyton, Brady, Brees, who else?

Yes, he seems to have the ability to win the big one because the combined record of both of the Giants Super Bowl seasons is 18-14 and just proves an good team with a good quarterback can come out on top. Besides, Dan Marino has volumes of records in the books and not one ring so in my opinion Eli is not elite he is just with the right team at the right time.

Yes, he seems to have the ability to win the big one because the combined record of both of the Giants Super Bowl seasons is 18-14 and just proves an good team with a good quarterback can come out on top. Besides, Dan Marino has volumes of records in the books and not one ring so in my opinion Eli is not elite he is just with the right team at the right time.

Hes 9th on the list of active quarterbacks in yards and 7th in passing touchdowns and the 6 in front of him are well over 30 and also has 25 game winning drives at 30

It would seem some posters here think that this is a Good Eli/Bad Eli here? This is not Rex Grossman. Good Rexy/Bad Rexy.

I think the follow up is..."Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?" He was with Eli with as subvet says 8-8, 10-6, 9-7 records the past 3 ears.

This is a solid football team that had such a banged up OL that Tony Ugoh played left tackle last season...and Coughlin was on his annual 'firing line.' Eli is elite, and along with Coughlin will be in the HOF!

Edited by BrentMc11

It would seem some posters here think that this is a Good Eli/Bad Eli here? This is not Rex Grossman. Good Rexy/Bad Rexy.

I think the follow up is..."Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?" He was with Eli with as subvet says 8-8, 10-6, 9-7 records the past 3 ears.

This is a solid football team that had such a banged up OL that Tony Ugoh played left tackle last season...and Coughlin was on his annual 'firing line.' Eli is elite, and along with Coughlin will be in the HOF!

This is why I love NY Giants GM Jerry Reese. He fully understands size, girth, strength, leverage, winning the war in the trenches, & offensive & defensive rotation of key players during a game particularly pass rushers. I have a feeling our own GM Ryan Grigson is cut from that same cloth too IMO.

There does seem to be different standards for different Mannings..

You make a good point...

But judgement is often absolute...

If you fall short in ANY area..it will come up when folks want to be critical.......

there does seem to be an assumption that Eli isnt as good as Peyton based on the entire body of work.

The plight of the little brother

Eli is not flashy allthough he has the tools to be just that,What impresses me is he can seem lacadasical at times tho i know hes not,.May not have his best game but he will still beat you.LETS JUST FACE IT HES A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lombardi: :foam: what more can you say

Eli is not flashy allthough he has the tools to be just that,What impresses me is he can seem lacadasical at times tho i know hes not,.May not have his best game but he will still beat you.LETS JUST FACE IT HES A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lombardi: :foam: what more can you say

So he has the Tebow gene? Lol.

He's prolific like an elite QB and he wins like an elite QB come playoff time... but he has not been efficient like an elite QB which leaves sufficient room to question where he stands amongst his peers. He's merely fringe elite because of how he plays most of the time but he also has a huge leg up on other borderline QBs because of how he plays some of the time. It's kind of confusing, honestly.

Now that I think about it, he basically has the exact opposite problem of Tony Romo. rotflmao

There is definitely a Good Eli/Bad Eli thing going on. It was particularly pronounced and, well, almost Rex-ish the first four years of his career. Unlike with Sexy Rexy, though, Good Eli appears to be very slowly killing Bad Eli over time.

He's prolific like an elite QB and he wins like an elite QB come playoff time... but he has not been efficient like an elite QB which leaves sufficient room to question where he stands amongst his peers. He's merely fringe elite because of how he plays most of the time but he also has a huge leg up on other borderline QBs because of how he plays some of the time. It's kind of confusing, honestly.I know...exactly what I said RG to the 3rd power!

Now that I think about it, he basically has the exact opposite problem of Tony Romo. rotflmao

There is definitely a Good Eli/Bad Eli thing going on. It was particularly pronounced and, well, almost Rex-ish the first four years of his career. Unlike with Sexy Rexy, though, Good Eli appears to be very slowly killing Bad Eli over time.