Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How good is Andrew Luck?

mr. football

As to the fact this isn't a forum of cold calculating GM's, there was, in my opinion, a ridiculous debate over what the writer said. Was it opinion? Was it fact? Did he call other GM's and on and on and on. People got carried away over nothing. I was offering insight from the perspective of a media person, which I was for 30 years.

Also.... I noticed in another post you stated you don't think Manning and Favre are in the same league. Or, am I misinterpreting your comment? This may be a Colts website, but I don't care if 100% of its members think Manning is better, but to imply or even suggest that Bret Favre isn't in the same league as Peyton Manning is complete nonsense and would be laughed at on any other website that had any level of objectivity. There is no argument -- none -- that Favre isn't in the same league as Manning. You can argue Manning is better. I agree with that. But not in the same league? Please. Don't even go there. And if that is indeed your view, my advice is to keep it to yourself.

Some people are not comfortable having an unpopular opinion. I'm not one of them.

Yup, a ridiculous debate for sure. Any thread referencing Peyton (and most referencing Luck) have been exactly that - going back months now. They're often perpetuated by newbies awash with innocent joy about the 'direction the team is going", oblivious to the fact that many here feel like they just suffered a loss. "How good is Andrew Luck"? I have no idea. While I'm looking forward to finding out, there is no joy in the process, just grudging acceptance of a horrible loss. I would take Peyton back in a nanosecond - logic be darned. The enthusiasm of others is often just salt in the wound.

I was exaggerating about Favre for effect. I'm a fan of the guy (my wife is a Packers fan and adores him), but I was also teasing you about trying so hard to politely state something as if going out on a limb. That's not a limb. Favre was a blast to watch, but he was pure emotion, reaction, athleticism, will. He just ran around and made stuff happen - some of it pretty ridiculous. Manning redefined the position in a generational manner - not unlike Unitas in his day. I don't think that too many people will be debating which one was better in years to come. When Tarkington passed all of Unitas's career records, it still didn't put him in the conversation about which one was better. At least not to anyone who had watched them both play.

By the way, I would "advise" you to refrain from instructing people on a forum to keep their opinions to themselves - popular or otherwise. Polite in phrasing, pretty rude in intent.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I would "advise" you to refrain from instructing people on a forum to keep their opinions to themselves - popular or otherwise. Polite in phrasing, pretty rude in intent.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that with me in the future. I was trying to give you something of a playful shot as I thought you gave me some of the same in your post to me. My comment was intended mostly in jest....

Look..... I'm the new guy here.... but honestly, I think of myself as a guest as much as a fan. In 5-years, when Luck's contract is done, if he decides to go elsewhere, I strongly suspect you'll see much, much less of me here. Or, if he retires in 15-years after a Hall of Fame career, you'll likely see much less of me then, too.

I'm here because Andrew is here. That said, I also very much like the first few months of Grigson and Pagano. I like well run franchises, and I think this is one. But I like other well run teams as well. My point is that 99% of the posters here are 'lifers'.... I'm likely not. So, I'm not trying to start any internet fights or cause anyone any trouble. I try to break up some fights that seem unnecessary. I try to offer perspective on media issues (which I was trying to do with the Denver story) because I spent 30 years in the media. I try to offer up Luck/Fleener perspectives, because I'm a 40-year Stanford fan who saw most every game they played. I also like the draft and try to think like a GM when it seems appropriate.

Otherwise, I'm a guest here. Not trying to change hearts and minds. Just offering a different point of view. That's all....

Guess we have the irsay bashers as well. The man made a very hard decision for the betterment of HIS team. Why would he want manning to go through our rebuild/retool and complete change in philosophy. Manning thought it best for the team as well. Wasn't fair to him nor luck to stay with the Colts. He had just as much a part of him leaving as Irsay. Wish him the best of luck but I am happy and support our direction.

Bottom line, haters going to hate!

Thats the same for every prospect even past prospects nobody new or knows how good they will be but when given a chance to get one as highly spoken of as Luck then Irsay would be a fool to pass

But even those who spoke highly

..simply do not know...

until he starts practicing....

he could be better than anyone even imagines....there is that possibility, too.

But until he gets to work..we just do not know...

But even those who spoke highly

..simply do not know...

until he starts practicing....

he could be better than anyone even imagines....there is that possibility, too.

But until he gets to work..we just do not know...

That was the same for Manning, same for Montana, same for Newton, same for Leak you get my point you either take a big chance and it pays off for the next so many years or you dont and wonder what could have been

I don't think you'll have to worry about that with me in the future. I was trying to give you something of a playful shot as I thought you gave me some of the same in your post to me. My comment was intended mostly in jest....

Look..... I'm the new guy here.... but honestly, I think of myself as a guest as much as a fan. In 5-years, when Luck's contract is done, if he decides to go elsewhere, I strongly suspect you'll see much, much less of me here. Or, if he retires in 15-years after a Hall of Fame career, you'll likely see much less of me then, too.

I'm here because Andrew is here. That said, I also very much like the first few months of Grigson and Pagano. I like well run franchises, and I think this is one. But I like other well run teams as well. My point is that 99% of the posters here are 'lifers'.... I'm likely not. So, I'm not trying to start any internet fights or cause anyone any trouble. I try to break up some fights that seem unnecessary. I try to offer perspective on media issues (which I was trying to do with the Denver story) because I spent 30 years in the media. I try to offer up Luck/Fleener perspectives, because I'm a 40-year Stanford fan who saw most every game they played. I also like the draft and try to think like a GM when it seems appropriate.

Otherwise, I'm a guest here. Not trying to change hearts and minds. Just offering a different point of view. That's all....

Frankly, I enjoy your input.

I know you're a Luck fan, and may never develop into a Colts first fan.

We just lost a number of good posters who admittedly were Manning fans only.

We still have a few really good posters who have no rooting interest in the Colts. They just like to talk football, and offer good input.

It's all good, and we should all feel welcome.

'Cept for the mods, we're all guests here, even the lifers.

Frankly, I enjoy your input.

I know you're a Luck fan, and may never develop into a Colts first fan.

We just lost a number of good posters who admittedly were Manning fans only.

We still have a few really good posters who have no rooting interest in the Colts. They just like to talk football, and offer good input.

It's all good, and we should all feel welcome.

'Cept for the mods, we're all guests here, even the lifers.

Thanks.....

Appreciate the kind words and the good thoughts.... I've said it before in other threads, but perhaps it's worth repeating here... I really like this website and the people on it. Everyone. Good, brights, smart, funny posters.... makes for lots and lots of interesting reading.

Frankly, I'm spending way too much time here. Or, I'm sure my wife would think so. She doesn't know about this website. Only my Stanford website. If she finds out I'm not on this website as much then I think all of you will be reading about some ghastly murder in Southern California where a wife kills her husband in the most painful way she can think of!! :oops::eek::omg::Cry:

Suddenly, I wouldn't be posting here any more......

If that ever happens, think a kind thought for me as you're cheering for Andrew....

OK.... it's getting late and silly.... see you tomorrow.... a new week is here and there's three full team practices this week to look forward to!!

If there is one thing missing from the Colts resume and still bugs me it is winning a big game vs. Pittsburgh. I don't even feel the need to avenge anything vs. San Diego. It is the Steelers.

Maybe someday we can do it with Luck. Who knows. But, beating the Steelers in a big game even if we lost a week later would make me the happiest person on the planet.

It is why 2005 hurts so bad and hurts the most to me out of all seasons. It is why the 2008 regular season win in Pittsburgh made me jump around screaming. It is why losing to the Jets in Peyton's final game here bugs me. Even if we did lose a week later in Pittsburgh I at least wanted THE CHANCE to play vs. them.

When we broke the 40 year losing streak in Pitt in 2008.............that was pretty sweet. FELT like an AFC win.

But, what I am waiting for is to beat the Steelers in the AFC championship IN Pittsburgh

Then I will lay my grudge to rest

Ok... so getting rid of manning was a tough pill for me to swallow,but i've swallowed it. . Yes i will always be a Manning fan and I always be a little sad because of how it all went down. But the pain seems to have subsided somewhat. Now, im looking towards the future and starting to get a little excited. My question to all of you faithful and brilliant colts fans is..... How good "IS" Andrew Luck? I watched him play a couple of games in college and liked what i saw for the most part. I was really impressed with him in the Fiesta Bowl (his last college game.) I watched his pro day and thought he looked great. I've watched him with Gruden and about everything i could find on him via you tube. Again...i liked what i saw. I value the opinions of many people on this website. I just want to hear from y'all what your gut tells you about our new QB. My first impressions are that he is extremely intelligent. The kid can read and dissect defenses like nobody's business! He seems to have an excellent touch on his midrange passes and he also threw a deep bomb in the fiesta bowl that was unbelievably perfect. I love his toughness and how he can run(although i hope he doesnt run too often in the NFL.) I think he has some great intangibles... and ive heard alot of people say that. Seems like he is years ahead of a college senior/rookie NFL QB. There are a some things that bother me a little though. I am just not sure about his personality. Now before i say this, i know in some ways this trait could be a positive. He just doesnt show much emotion or drive like Peyton. Peyton was sooo driven to be the best that you could see it just by his interviews. How could this be a positive?? He is alot cooler and calmer than Peyton i think...More like Eli. That could help in clutch situations. He might have nerves of steel in a pressure moment...i dont know. If thats the case, GREAT! But i just dont see that drive and excitement in him like i did Manning. That kinda worries me a little. We all new 18 wanted to be the best and we all knew how hard he was going to work. Peyton was unmatched in that area. I just hope Luck is the same way but maybe just takes a quieter approach. If Tom Moore says he is that good, i believe him. If Irsay says 29 of 32 teams would have madly pursued Luck if he was a free agent...I somewhat believe him (I would imagine he is somewhat "in the know" on this subject.) Now i want to know what all my Colt's Forum friends think. Lets hear your honest opinions! How good is Andrew Luck??? Thanks and GO :coltslogo:

My honest opinion is, that this question is a way too early, as Luck hasn't even get his first snap from Satele yet. He apparently has very good features, he is talented, he is the best prospect since Elway, he was good at his college. BUT, he is a rookie, he has to learn the NFL, to get used to the atmosphere, the pace of the game and a lot of other things about professional football.

I think he is gonna be good after a while, but I would wait with evaluating how good he is, a few regular season game, or best until the end of regular season.

I really hope that he's gonna be very good in his rookie year.

I have all the faith in the world that Luck will be a tremendously talented quarterback, and that the Colts will be back on the + side of 500 quickly. I just pray that the Organization has learned from it's mistakes in it's inability to keep a steady TEAM around the quarterback. I love the Colt's, but even with all the wins Manning helped provide, we could have been better. I think most Colts fans will agree on that. Then again, due to sentimentality, we all really would have loved to see him stay. We will all probably continue to say, "what if". The only part of picking up Luck will be the stupid marketing. Come on, Horshoes and a QB named luck. We all know it's coming and it makes me nauseous!

Ok... so getting rid of manning was a tough pill for me to swallow,but i've swallowed it. . Yes i will always be a Manning fan and I always be a little sad because of how it all went down. But the pain seems to have subsided somewhat. Now, im looking towards the future and starting to get a little excited. My question to all of you faithful and brilliant colts fans is..... How good "IS" Andrew Luck? I watched him play a couple of games in college and liked what i saw for the most part. I was really impressed with him in the Fiesta Bowl (his last college game.) I watched his pro day and thought he looked great. I've watched him with Gruden and about everything i could find on him via you tube. Again...i liked what i saw. I value the opinions of many people on this website. I just want to hear from y'all what your gut tells you about our new QB. My first impressions are that he is extremely intelligent. The kid can read and dissect defenses like nobody's business! He seems to have an excellent touch on his midrange passes and he also threw a deep bomb in the fiesta bowl that was unbelievably perfect. I love his toughness and how he can run(although i hope he doesnt run too often in the NFL.) I think he has some great intangibles... and ive heard alot of people say that. Seems like he is years ahead of a college senior/rookie NFL QB. There are a some things that bother me a little though. I am just not sure about his personality. Now before i say this, i know in some ways this trait could be a positive. He just doesnt show much emotion or drive like Peyton. Peyton was sooo driven to be the best that you could see it just by his interviews. How could this be a positive?? He is alot cooler and calmer than Peyton i think...More like Eli. That could help in clutch situations. He might have nerves of steel in a pressure moment...i dont know. If thats the case, GREAT! But i just dont see that drive and excitement in him like i did Manning. That kinda worries me a little. We all new 18 wanted to be the best and we all knew how hard he was going to work. Peyton was unmatched in that area. I just hope Luck is the same way but maybe just takes a quieter approach. If Tom Moore says he is that good, i believe him. If Irsay says 29 of 32 teams would have madly pursued Luck if he was a free agent...I somewhat believe him (I would imagine he is somewhat "in the know" on this subject.) Now i want to know what all my Colt's Forum friends think. Lets hear your honest opinions! How good is Andrew Luck??? Thanks and GO :coltslogo:

to answer your question simply, he is that good. what you're gooing to love about him are the things you can't see on the field, but as a direct result of what he does in practice, in the locker room, rersponding to game film, and his preparation for the game. he really is the full package. the thing you'll probably appreciate as far as his play is concerned is his intelligence. the Stanford playbook is huge. there were hundreds of plays contained within it, and each week in preparation for their next oppoonent, Andrew would learn up to 400 new sets and variations for that one opponent alone. he's that good. additionally, he's the only qb in college football last year who called 90 percent of his own plays. he not only has that ability, but he had the trust of his head coach and offensive coordinator to do so. essentially, he was an offensive coordinator on the field.

as i attend Stanford, i had the priviledge to see Andrew play live about a dozen times over the past two seasons. you'll love his composure, humilty and desire. he's the type of player around which you can, indeed, build a franchise.

When we broke the 40 year losing streak in Pitt in 2008.............that was pretty sweet. FELT like an AFC win.

But, what I am waiting for is to beat the Steelers in the AFC championship IN Pittsburgh

Then I will lay my grudge to rest

I gotta tell you that I share yours & Jules angst on this topic.

One of my best friends from Kindergarten, and the best man at my wedding is the nephew of Chuck Noll.

When Chuck was named the HC in Pitt, we made a life long wager on all head to head games. $5 per game, and double if it was a playoff game.

At the time of the bet, Pitt had experienced decades of losing.

No more explanation needed.