Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning

likm

Why is Peyton not practicing with the team? I read he was throwing with some velocity. I would think if he can throw a football with some velocity he should be able to take snaps, handoffs and short throws.

Are the Colts keeping Peyton from practicing in order to give reps to Painter because they know Painter will have to start the season?

Opinions?

Has he ever addressed why he waited so long to have the surgery? Why not have it sooner in the off season so he would be rehabbed and ready to go for training camp??

It seems a lot of Colt players wait to long to have their surgery. I hope its just a matter of hoping time heals the issue then does not.

I still do not understand why Peyton can throw but not practice. Something does not make sense.

Let's leave his recovery plan to the Neruo. & Ortho. Drs. Don't worry about Manning. He's been doing this a long time and knows how to prepare. A little rust at outset, maybe, but a rusty Manning is still better than most in the league. Again, no worries.

I am leaving his recovery plan to the Drs.....I have no choice. I still have not heard anyone answer my question. Why can Peyton throw with velocity but can not practice?

As far as rust..........last time Peyton came out rusty we started 3-4. Likm

Just as always, he is looking for an excuse so he doesn´t have to practice.. Not very professional! :cussing:

I´m pretty sure he will start the regular season. Rust or no rust - he is ten times better than any other qb we have. So as long as they don´t see a danger for his neck, he´ll play. And we still have about 3 weeks.

Just as always, he is looking for an excuse so he doesn´t have to practice.. Not very professional! :cussing:

I´m pretty sure he will start the regular season. Rust or no rust - he is ten times better than any other qb we have. So as long as they don´t see a danger for his neck, he´ll play. And we still have about 3 weeks.

ten times better? im thinking more like 1000 times better.

i think we'll see less & less of manning in training camp in the coming years. he doesn't need to be making all those trows at his age

this whole situation may actually be a blessing

One thing that has made Peyton great is hard work. If he does not get in that work his performance may be effected.

Peyton is like Allen Iverson now. Practice????

"We sittin here, and I'm sposed to be the franchise player, and we talkin' bout practice. I mean, listen, we sittn here talkin' bout practice. Not a game.... Not a game, not a game... but we talkin' bout practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for, and play every game like it's my last, but we talkin' bout practice, man. How silly is that?

I know it’s important, I honestly do but we talkin' bout practice. We talkin' bout practice man. We talkin' bout practice. We talkin' bout practice. We not talkin' bout the game. We talkin' bout practice..."

I can't think about that and not laugh.

I am leaving his recovery plan to the Drs.....I have no choice. I still have not heard anyone answer my question. Why can Peyton throw with velocity but can not practice?

As far as rust..........last time Peyton came out rusty we started 3-4. Likm yogaisforme

Okay I'll play along. Here's my new response - Let's leave his recovery plan to the Neruo. & Ortho. Drs. Don't worry about Manning. He's been doing this a long time and knows how to prepare. A little rust at outset, maybe, but a rusty Manning is still better than most in the league. Again, no worries.

In other words....nobody out here knows what's between him & his Drs. No amount of speculation is gonna change reality. If the guy isn't takin' snaps he's not takin' snaps. Here's how you'll know if Painter is gonna start game 1 - he's under center that day. Rehab plans vary and it wouldn't be uncommon for throwing activities to be stepped up. End of file. Same as an injured pitcher throwing off the mound, on the mound, just playing catch vs. game scenarios, number of throws allowed, etc.

I was just wanting to discuss Manning............why are you being a jerk? likm

Suggestion - Change your screen name/quit signing off on a comment with it if you want to avoid "confusion."

Suggestion 2 - Chiiiill winston. The guy is doing what's medically necessary to recover from surgery on a 90M neck....and the team won't tip it's hand. When he throws & plays he throws & plays. There's only one real time on this. If he misses games and/or too much full practice we all know what reasonable expectations of the team will be.

You'll have to contact Michael Moore for any alternate scenarios.

that guy should be a sports writer. he'd make bob kravits sound like mary poppins

Maybe Mary Poppins became Kravits after the Berlin Wall fell. Undisclosed sources have her spending quite a bit of time there immediately prior to the precipitating events....and it's very suspect that she not only disappeared at that time but her film renaissance coincided with Kravits' first publishings. On the other hand, just as many have hypothesized there was no deep throat.....Kravits himself may not exist.

Suggestion - Change your screen name/quit signing off on a comment with it if you want to avoid "confusion."

Suggestion 2 - Chiiiill winston. The guy is doing what's medically necessary to recover from surgery on a 90M neck....and the team won't tip it's hand. When he throws & plays he throws & plays. There's only one real time on this. If he misses games and/or too much full practice we all know what reasonable expectations of the team will be.

You'll have to contact Michael Moore for any alternate scenarios.

Whats wrong with my screen name? I just wanted discuss why Peyton is not practicing and you obviously did not. As far as everybodysgotone.......u r one. likm

Whats wrong with my screen name? I just wanted discuss why Peyton is not practicing and you obviously did not. As far as everybodysgotone.......u r one. likm

I'm an opinion?

Well anyway....it's all good I don't have any ashtanga masters on my Christmas card list and I'm not about to start now. Best wishes for you in your future endeavors.

On the practice field he is not taking the risk of being hit (too much). I don't know what type of damage that could do to the surgery he had done.

Besides that I think the back-ups need the playing time.

Peyton will be fine. I'm happy to see him getting the recovery time that's needed.

FWIW I do these exact surgeries and trained with some of the colts MDs way back when, so I guess I can't avoid my 2 cents here. I don't have an "inside scoop" nor would I ever probe for one, but this is what can be put together from the media, medicine, and bit of speculation:

Peyton's first surgery was a posterior minimally invasive foraminotomy by Fessler in Chicago. As far as I can gather, he had pain and probably not much nerve dysfunction (numbness/weakness) with that episode. The recovery is somewhat trivial other than incisional pain, and after a few weeks it's hard to have the problem recur. Common sense says light duty for a while, but after that increase as tolerated.

With this 2nd surgery, from what I've read, he had again a minimally invasive discectomy from a posterior approach. The posterior discectomy is somewhat old-school, as most would now have an anterior discectomy and fusion vs. artificial disc, but the benefit of posterior (esp with minimally invasive making for a better recovery) is no hardware required and a patient gets a chance for more "normal" anatomy in recovery. To have a fusion is not a contraindication to playing football, but it raises flags, and one must wait at least 3-6 months for impact if bone is not fused... So what he had is not the fusion, but it is still wise to wait 1-3 months for impact, with the idea being that recurrent bulging from the residual (normal, non herniated) disc could still occur and compress nerve or spinal cord.

As far as I can tell he did have either numbness or weakness, but I don't know if it's public knowledge as to the etiology being nerve root or spinal cord? I can't imagine that peyton would have ignored significant symptoms, so he probably will have a quick recovery if any numbness/weakness was present preop.

I think they are letting him throw now, as that's a motion he is in control of, rather than taking snaps and throwing in "game" scenarios where falling is likely or unpredictable forces are likely.

A healthy, motivated athlete will probably be fine, and they wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't likely to have a good prognosis (and I can promise you the Feuer, Fessler, and about 6-12 other surgeons have already discussed this with the bean counters). I'm personally not very worried about him playing at full capacity medically, I just hope with the lockout practice delays and now peyton not throwing that the team is in sync when they need to be for real games?

FWIW I do these exact surgeries and trained with some of the colts MDs way back when, so I guess I can't avoid my 2 cents here. I don't have an "inside scoop" nor would I ever probe for one, but this is what can be put together from the media, medicine, and bit of speculation:

Peyton's first surgery was a posterior minimally invasive foraminotomy by Fessler in Chicago. As far as I can gather, he had pain and probably not much nerve dysfunction (numbness/weakness) with that episode. The recovery is somewhat trivial other than incisional pain, and after a few weeks it's hard to have the problem recur. Common sense says light duty for a while, but after that increase as tolerated.

With this 2nd surgery, from what I've read, he had again a minimally invasive discectomy from a posterior approach. The posterior discectomy is somewhat old-school, as most would now have an anterior discectomy and fusion vs. artificial disc, but the benefit of posterior (esp with minimally invasive making for a better recovery) is no hardware required and a patient gets a chance for more "normal" anatomy in recovery. To have a fusion is not a contraindication to playing football, but it raises flags, and one must wait at least 3-6 months for impact if bone is not fused... So what he had is not the fusion, but it is still wise to wait 1-3 months for impact, with the idea being that recurrent bulging from the residual (normal, non herniated) disc could still occur and compress nerve or spinal cord.

As far as I can tell he did have either numbness or weakness, but I don't know if it's public knowledge as to the etiology being nerve root or spinal cord? I can't imagine that peyton would have ignored significant symptoms, so he probably will have a quick recovery if any numbness/weakness was present preop.

I think they are letting him throw now, as that's a motion he is in control of, rather than taking snaps and throwing in "game" scenarios where falling is likely or unpredictable forces are likely.

A healthy, motivated athlete will probably be fine, and they wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't likely to have a good prognosis (and I can promise you the Feuer, Fessler, and about 6-12 other surgeons have already discussed this with the bean counters). I'm personally not very worried about him playing at full capacity medically, I just hope with the lockout practice delays and now peyton not throwing that the team is in sync when they need to be for real games?

Exactly what I was thinking.