Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kavell Connor The Run Stopper!

HtownColt

I referred to seeing an article I found very very interesting in a previous thread showing Kavell Connor was 2nd in run defeats behind Derrick Johnson in 2011 just giving up 2.1yrds per tackle per rush attempt and led the league with 13 run tackles for loss.

I finally came across the article again so here it is by Football Outsiders an the Stampede Blue did their own article referring to the same stat by football outsiders. I feel we have tackling machines in the middle with Connor and Angerer

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-defeats

http://mobile.stampedeblue.com/2012/5/24/3040803/football-outsiders-colts-kavell-conner-defeats-running-plays

I referred to seeing an article I found very very interesting in a previous thread showing Kavell Connor was 2nd in run defeats behind Derrick Johnson in 2011 just giving up 2.1yrds per tackle per rush attempt and led the league with 13 run tackles for loss.

I finally came across the article again so here it is by Football Outsiders an the Stampede Blue did their own article referring to the same stat by football outsiders. I feel we have tackling machines in the middle with Connor and Angerer

http://footballoutsi...12/2011-defeats

http://mobile.stampe...s-running-plays

I agree and was reading an article on this myself that was on yardbarker.com and was very encouraged. Just think if that D line can clog things up in the middle our run D could take a large step foward.

I agree and was reading an article on this myself that was on yardbarker.com and was very encouraged. Just think if that D line can clog things up in the middle our run D could take a large step foward.

Yep all we need is for two of our D lineman to force double teams consistently (Redding,Chapman,Nevis,McKinney) to let our LBs run more freely and make plays all over the field.

Every coach dreams of being the head coach, however, I do think the smarter ones look at the whole picture prior to taking on the task.

Pagano interviewed for the Colts job knowing full well what was in store for him - meaning Grigson was going to gut the roster (esp the offense) - and he already looked at the defensive roster and knew what he had!

He saw a linebacking corps of Freeney, Connor, Angerer, Mathis (key reserves Edds, Hughes and Addison)

He saw depth on the DLine with Mookie, Nevis, Mathews and Moala

He saw two solid starter in the defensive backfield in Powers and Bethea

He also knew that Redding, McKinney and Zbikowski were free agents that he could 'potentially' add (which they did)

Leaving the only real question at corner............would Thomas, Rucker, Johnson step up and take a starting role.

With the recent trade for Vaughn and the potential for another trade with Jenkins, I think its safe to say that the only real question mark still remains unanswered!

The bottom line is, he knew what we had before taking the job and he knows that the defense is 'capable' of being decent in year one...............................epsecially with something that 'should' resemble a real NFL offense next year instead of the JV one that was deployed last year!

Every coach dreams of being the head coach, however, I do think the smarter ones look at the whole picture prior to taking on the task.

Pagano interviewed for the Colts job knowing full well what was in store for him - meaning Grigson was going to gut the roster (esp the offense) - and he already looked at the defensive roster and knew what he had!

He saw a linebacking corps of Freeney, Connor, Angerer, Mathis (key reserves Edds, Hughes and Addison)

He saw depth on the DLine with Mookie, Nevis, Mathews and Moala

He saw two solid starter in the defensive backfield in Powers and Bethea

He also knew that Redding, McKinney and Zbikowski were free agents that he could 'potentially' add (which they did)

Leaving the only real question at corner............would Thomas, Rucker, Johnson step up and take a starting role.

With the recent trade for Vaughn and the potential for another trade with Jenkins, I think its safe to say that the only real question mark still remains unanswered!

The bottom line is, he knew what we had before taking the job and he knows that the defense is 'capable' of being decent in year one...............................epsecially with something that 'should' resemble a real NFL offense next year instead of the JV one that was deployed last year!

Great breakdown! Looks like we are in decent shape at least.

saw this earlier today. Glad someone posted it. I always noticed Conners ability to tackle ballcarriers for a loss. Ive been saying for a while, if he somehow becomes a good pass defender, he could become the absolute steal of the 2010 draft.

Anyone that's drafted in the 7th round and is a full time starter is by definition, a steal.

I love an MLB tandem of Angerer/Conner. Willis/Bowman ain't got nothing on those guys.

I've been accused of being a homer, but I foresee a pretty respectable season next year.

You, Me, & a lot of other Fans. People keep Sleeping on us, but I think this Year we're gonna change our name to "The Indianapolis Hitmen" cause we making a hitlist so people will NOTICE us!!

He was definitely a way more athletic Will linebacker than Session but lacked the same pop on his hits that Clint had. He's a solid tackler but sometimes when he was working in too much space, he over-pursued. I wonder how well he will make the transition to the inside. Should be interesting to watch as the season progresses.

He was definitely a way more athletic Will linebacker than Session but lacked the same pop on his hits that Clint had. He's a solid tackler but sometimes when he was working in too much space, he over-pursued. I wonder how well he will make the transition to the inside. Should be interesting to watch as the season progresses.

Considering that our 1st Pre-Season is against the Rams... this should be a Practice Game for everyone to really get a feel for the NEW Systems on all three sides of the Ball

http://footballoutsi...12/2011-defeats

http://mobile.stampe...s-running-plays

It's impossible for Kavell Conner to be a good run defender. He's only 6-0 242 lbs, instead of the ideal 6-1 250 lbs. Since he falls 1 inch and 8 pounds below what is ideal, it means he is undersized. Thus, it is impossible for such a small linebacker to be a good run defender.

I don't know man. I thought he had some pretty solid hits. His only fault has been coverage ability. Session was definitely better in that regard. Hopefully the new coaching and new schemes will help him out there.

The problem with these stats is that you can change them to say what you want. He had 13 run tackles for loss...but he was only in on _% of running plays. It requires to be looked at in more depth. Bob Sanders made almost 9 tackles a game in 2004....but he only played 6 games. With that said, I'm a fan of Connor and I expect him to be starting this year on the inside with Angerer.

The problem with these stats is that you can change them to say what you want. He had 13 run tackles for loss...but he was only in on _% of running plays. It requires to be looked at in more depth. Bob Sanders made almost 9 tackles a game in 2004....but he only played 6 games. With that said, I'm a fan of Connor and I expect him to be starting this year on the inside with Angerer.

I dont get it he played in all 16 games starting 15. Now i dont know how many plays he was in per game but im sure it was quite a few to get over 100 tackles. But That makes his 13 tackles for loss on running plays stat even better if he ain't play in all of the snaps and still led the NFL in tackles for loss on run plays with 13.Football Outsiders do the best job breaking down stats to me even ESPN Numbers Never Lie uses Football Outsiders for most of their stats

It is nice to see a change in the way the line is shaping up over what we have seen over the last few years. Polian looked for the small faster guys and depended on gang tackling. We witnessed over and over our linemen being pushed back as a norm. I for one was really tired of the cover two. Over the last few years teams have learned how to beat the cover two. What bothered me he most was how the defense just plain run out of gas by the third quarter.

It is nice to see a change in the way the line is shaping up over what we have seen over the last few years. Polian looked for the small faster guys and depended on gang tackling. We witnessed over and over our linemen being pushed back as a norm. I for one was really tired of the cover two. Over the last few years teams have learned how to beat the cover two. What bothered me he most was how the defense just plain run out of gas by the third quarter.

What bothered/aggravated the heck out of me was not being able to get off the field on third downs

Cover 2 was very easy to beat, always. We ran more than Cover 2, which you have to to be successful, but there's nothing difficult to figure out about it. It's primarily about gap integrity and execution, which is why Dungy always preached the " we do what we do mantra," because it really can be that simple. But there are variations to every coverage, and a lot of shell coverages that you can use that focus on the same principles. And it seemed, especially in 2010 and 2011, that we couldn't figure out when and how to use those variations, and every time we tried it seemed to backfire. I disagreed with a lot of what we did defensively throughout the Dungy/Meeks and Caldwell/Coyer era. But I don't think Cover 2 was the problem.

The problem wasn't the cover 2. The problem with the defense was the offense.

The defense was on the field 60% of the time because the offense couldn't convert first downs. Our offense constantly was leaving a short field for the defense. When our defense would come up with the stops, our offense would give it right back.

And it wasn't our whole offense either. It was simply all on the poor performance of the QB's.

Cover 2 was very easy to beat, always. We ran more than Cover 2, which you have to to be successful, but there's nothing difficult to figure out about it. It's primarily about gap integrity and execution, which is why Dungy always preached the " we do what we do mantra," because it really can be that simple. But there are variations to every coverage, and a lot of shell coverages that you can use that focus on the same principles. And it seemed, especially in 2010 and 2011, that we couldn't figure out when and how to use those variations, and every time we tried it seemed to backfire. I disagreed with a lot of what we did defensively throughout the Dungy/Meeks and Caldwell/Coyer era. But I don't think Cover 2 was the problem.

I don't think Cover2 is necessarily that easy to beat...anymore so than other defenses, I just don't think it should be deployed on every down. Executed well Cover2 can make it very difficult for teams to score quickly...this makes drives long and increases the likelihood that mistakes on execution will occur from the opposing team. Personally I think Cover2 has it's place as does other formations. It's no real suprise though...almost all teams run some form of it at various times.

I don't think Cover2 is necessarily that easy to beat...anymore so than other defenses, I just don't think it should be deployed on every down. Executed well Cover2 can make it very difficult for teams to score quickly...this makes drives long and increases the likelihood that mistakes on execution will occur from the opposing team. Personally I think Cover2 has it's place as does other formations. It's no real suprise though...almost all teams run some form of it at various times.

I shouldn't say "easy to beat." Simple to beat is probably more appropriate. We all know what the sweet spots are, and you know whether they'll be open or not right after the snap. And then when it's Tampa 2, you know that if you get a little bit of time, you'll have a ten yard completion over the middle. It's all about execution, which is why we often gave up such a high completion percentage.

The bend-don't-break philosophy behind it isn't my favorite, but when you execute, it works. I disagree with its deployment here for several reasons, but always understood the rationale behind it, especially inside the 25 yard line. We took that philosophy to a different extreme for most of 2011, though.

Cover 2 is fine and so was our defense for the most part over the years. Bend but don't break meant holding teams to fgs. The defense was all about pts not yards. We were built to play with a lead and most of the time Peyton would outscore the opponents. We didn't give up big plays and we made most opposing teams have to continue drives...be consistant...and then most importantly have to score in the redzone. Teams like NE and with really good qbs could pick it apart all game and score and beat us. Teams that had inconsistant offenses could not keep up. Looking at our conference we really had no elite qbs to play against. This was enough for us to win most games until we got into the playoffs. Better defenses slowed down our offense and our defenses didn't give us field position or stop opponents enough.

Last year not only did we spend too much time on the field but we didn't stop the big plays...little plays..or really much of anything. We fell behind often and with an inept offense the defense lost confidence and wore down.