Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Pleased With Rookie Work

http://www.colts.com...be-dac620cd40ca

Excerpt

]“There was a lot of learning involved,” said Grigson. “You have to take that into account with all these players. They’re coming from different systems, different coaching styles and techniques. There is a lot of things getting thrown at them in a short span.” “Some guys pick it up quicker than others but for the most part, I thought it was a really good three days because the players seemed like they were taking coaching and responding,” said Grigson. “There were a lot of things thrown at the guys. I thought they responded collectively pretty well, considering where they were coming from. They came from all different types of levels. We had a player from Division III (linebacker Kevin Eagan) up to the SEC. It was all different walks here. “They were playing at a pretty good rate of speed, considering all the newness of it. I was happy with just the tempo overall. It’s a credit to Chuck (Pagano) and his staff.”

Grigson likes the teaching methods of Pagano and his staff.

“I definitely like it, and that’s why they are here,” said Grigson of his coaches having an effective teaching style. “They really work hard on fundamentals, which I think is so important. “Going through the (hiring) process from the beginning, that is what really impressed me about this staff. They preach fundamentals. They work on all the things that you need to have to be a sound football player. They preach it, the guys do it and they see it come to fruition on the field. The biggest thing for me watching was not only the communication, but all the players really kind of gelled as teammates as time went along. It was a productive three days.”

All players were told to control every avenue within their power.

“We have a long way to go, but I’m sure the rookies and the young players would tell you that. They can only control what they can control right now,” said Grigson. “That is to be in the playbook, lift, run and do all those types of things. (They will) continue to learn from these coaches. They (the coaches) obviously know what they’re doing. It was fun to watch, and it will be interesting to see where these guys are a few months from now.”

Pagano implored the newcomers last weekend that this is not a rebuilding time for the team.

“I told them, ‘It’s Next Man Up.’ We know we’ve lost some great players. There’s been turnover here, huge change. The culture, the dynamics are totally different,” said Pagano. “We just raised the bar. The expectations are way up (high). We said, ‘You wouldn’t be sitting in this room if someone didn’t see something in you. It’s ‘Next Man Up.’ Get yourself ready to go. Learn what you’re supposed to do.’ “Rebuild? No, we’re not talking about rebuild, ever. … You’re judged on one thing, and one thing only, that’s wins and losses.”

I guess I agree, we're not rebuilding. We're building from scratch. To me, that's a more negative impression.

They should just embrace the "rebuild" term and say we're starting with a solid foundation for future success. All that rhetoric goes out the window as soon as we play the games anyway.

That next man up mantra is tired and overused...

It's a bit stale.

It served Indy well for many years and GB 2 years ago. NFL teams CANNOT win without depth.

That's how Indy got put in the possession to draft Luck.

One just cannot reload, and reload, and reload. No NFL team has ever done it.

how is that stale?

It served Indy well for many years and GB 2 years ago. NFL teams CANNOT win without depth.

That's how Indy got put in the possession to draft Luck.

One just cannot reload, and reload, and reload. No NFL team has ever done it.

how is that stale?

If you fail to understand it at this point, a two sentence response isn't going to enlighten you.

That next man up mantra is tired and overused...

It's a bit stale.

I agree - time to retire that phrase. Just because of historical connotations, from my POV. Also, hope I don't hear "we do what we do" again. Both phrases served their purposes at the time that they were used.

Likewise, I trust we will never again hear "6 inches at a time" - that one worked great, huh?! :)

Personally, I'm not tired of "next man up." I think it refers to depth in our team--if someone gets injured and cannot play and you are the next man, it's your turn to do your job; therefore, to me this phrase is not stale. But, this is just opinions of course. Some are tired of it, some are still ok with it. But, talking about the "R" word is besides the point on this thread if you ask me.

What I glean from what Grigson said:

1) The rookies are doing well considering all the info tossed at them (although, if you listen to what Pags has said, he wanted to see what these guys would do with an over abundance of information--aka how they handle the stress of a pressure type situation).

2) FUNDAMENTALS are not overrated and our GM (and HC) realize this.

3) New coaching staff = new playbook and way of doing things. Plus Grigson likes what Pags and his staff are doing and how they coach.

4) If you want it (as a player), it's yours to get. The bar is set and if you want to play you have to exceed it. Pags is looking for depth in his roster and wants players that will go get it every day.

(As a side note o this one, I like Pags, do not like the word rebuild. To me we are building something here. Actually, if you asked me we never finished "building" even on our last roster b/c we had serious weaknesses in certain areas that should have been addressed. This year we lay the foundation for what is to come, and I think that is what Coach Pags is trying to get across.)

And well they should Coffeedrinker. If my GM or HC was not saying positive things about our rookie class and our team I would be sorely disappointed, and a little more than upset.

That said, I don't think they (Grigs and Pags) have blinders on regarding what needs to be done to be successful.

I agree - time to retire that phrase. Just because of historical connotations, from my POV. Also, hope I don't hear "we do what we do" again. Both phrases served their purposes at the time that they were used.

Likewise, I trust we will never again hear "6 inches at a time" - that one worked great, huh?! :)

I understand the concept of "next man up" but I got tired of the term in 2010 when we were basicaly signing people that just happened to be walking by LOS at the time.

And well they should Coffeedrinker. If my GM or HC was not saying positive things about our rookie class and our team I would be sorely disappointed, and a little more than upset.

I don't disagree but this is not positive news, it's just talking points.
That said, I don't think they (Grigs and Pags) have blinders on regarding what needs to be done to be successful.

I don't think so either, but since Pags has never been a HC and Grigs has never been a GM, we won't really know until about midway through the season.

Pleased with the rookie work....in shorts and tees. These practices were nothing more than pro day workouts. Coughlin even laughed when asked about the rookies and said at least no one fell down running on the field. Not a single team said their rookie work didn't look good lol. I am waiting to see them in pads and in preseason to see how they adjust.

I don't think so either, but since Pags has never been a HC and Grigs has never been a GM, we won't really know until about midway through the season.

My sentiments exactly!

Agreed. Time will tell just how good both of these men are. From what I've seen so far this offseason (who we let go, who we picked up in FA, how we handled the draft) I think both men show much promise and I am pleased. When the season is over we will see how effective they truly are and if they are good leaders.

And agreed, I didn't take this as positive news. Rather I look at it as more an update and the thoughts of these two men. Kind of a must do interview for them at this point since reporters for the team are looking for something to write about.

If you fail to understand it at this point, a two sentence response isn't going to enlighten you.

Ya... like "get in the game second stringer and produce" sounds any better. It's nothing more than a battle cry.

A great "team" is all 53 men...... I personally don't care how the team states it.