Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner prefered his kids didnt play football

Gavin

http://www.yardbarke...iscuss_10723229

it was reported on NFL Network as well as sites on the web that Kurt Warner said on the Dan Patrick Show he prefers his kids didnt play football because of the injuries and now he is taking heat from it from former teamate Amani Toomer and Merril Hoge, thoughts? I personally think the comments made by Toomer and Hoge were personal shots, thoughts?, if I had I had kids I'd let them play football but Kurts concern is valid

Let's all talk about how dangerous football is and how little kids shouldn't play....

When we are done lets take a look at the soccer players who died on the field....hmm 18 since 2008.....

What's dangerous again?

http://en.wikipedia....d_while_playing

there isnt going to be high school football in 20-30 years..

all it take is one successful lawsuit from a;past player claiming the school didnt protect a minor by informing him that football could give him brain damage.

No waivers cover that.

One lawauit against a school board and schools will start dropping football faster than the Orlando Magic can pack for the summer

there isnt going to be high school football in 20-30 years..

all it take is one successful lawsuit from a;past player claiming the school didnt protect a minor by informing him that football could give him brain damage.

No waivers cover that.

One lawauit against a school board and schools will start dropping football faster than the Orlando Magic can pack for the summer

You are probably right. And it's a darn shame. I just find the dangers comical while there is literally a laundry list of 18-35yr soccer players dropping dead ON THE FIELD and there is zero outrage.

Another hilarious piece of humble pie Im seeing player A complain about his quailty of life, his communication skills his memory and speech problems. While being interviewed by ANOTHER player, who played the exact same sport yet was able to retain his mental skills.....

These 65yr old players complaining about there injuries makes me sick. "my hips and knees are shot" etc etc. Really? So are 90% of Americans aged 65 and older. Men and Women. And none of them played a lick of football. What's there excuse?

You are probably right. And it's a darn shame. I just find the dangers comical while there is literally a laundry list of 18-35yr soccer players dropping dead ON THE FIELD and there is zero outrage.

Another hilarious piece of humble pie Im seeing player A complain about his quailty of life, his communication skills his memory and speech problems. While being interviewed by ANOTHER player, who played the exact same sport yet was able to retain his mental skills.....

These 65yr old players complaining about there injuries makes me sick. "my hips and knees are shot" etc etc. Really? So are 90% of Americans aged 65 and older. Men and Women. And none of them played a lick of football. What's there excuse?

I agree with you...

You choose what you do with your life..and with your body during it....

Its morally wrong to voluntarily enter a dangerous body-busting profession and then complain about what it did to you...and want to be compensated for it in cash...

..and the big culprit is the NFLPA, the union which does not take care of the older players..and inform the young ones

...insisting that mangement do it...

By the way..looking up that stuff you posted about soccer is a little frightening...

I vaguely remember reading something about his wife not wanting him to play football after not getting drafted and we know how that played out.

If I remember right, Kurt took some time and really contemplated retirement after his game against the Jets where Boldin essentially got his face broken

Why is this even an issue? How Kurt wants to raise his kids is his and his wife's own personal decision. It's none of our business. Let the man raise his kids how he wants to.

and it says he preferred.. not that he would stop them

Both Toomer and Hoge have ridiculous opinions. For starters, Toomer said Kurt should keep these things to himself. Well, it's kinda hard to do that when someone asks you about it on a radio show. What is he supposed to say, "sorry, I won't respond so Amani Toomer doesn't get offended"? These two are making it seem as though you must love football and everything that comes with it or hate the game completely.

Both Toomer and Hoge have ridiculous opinions. For starters, Toomer said Kurt should keep these things to himself. Well, it's kinda hard to do that when someone asks you about it on a radio show. What is he supposed to say, "sorry, I won't respond so Amani Toomer doesn't get offended"? These two are making it seem as though you must love football and everything that comes with it or hate the game completely.

Yep.... it was a parenting question every bit as much as it was a football question.

Warner has the right to raise his kids and guide them as he pleases as long as it breaks no laws.

And Hoge and Toomer are perfectly entitled to their opinions and parenting wisdom too. If they're in favor of their kids playing and accept the risks... that's fine.

If Warner isn't.... and expresses it publicly, then that's fine too.

Yep.... it was a parenting question every bit as much as it was a football question.

Warner has the right to raise his kids and guide them as he pleases as long as it breaks no laws.

And Hoge and Toomer are perfectly entitled to their opinions and parenting wisdom too. If they're in favor of their kids playing and accept the risks... that's fine.

If Warner isn't.... and expresses it publicly, then that's fine too.

Exactly, I don't see why there is such a big uproar. Kurt experienced things in the NFL that he would prefer his kids not experience. Much like a actor saying they would prefer their kids not get involved in acting, it's not always about the fame, or the money, or whatever. It's about wanting your children to not have to deal with some of the same problems that you have dealt with.

Peyton still isn't ready to give up on football and still loves the game as much as ever, but do anyone think for one minute he would want Marshall to experience the back and neck problems that he has? Would he be wrong if he went on record in a few years and said that very thing?

Let's all talk about how dangerous football is and how little kids shouldn't play....

When we are done lets take a look at the soccer players who died on the field....hmm 18 since 2008.....

What's dangerous again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_footballers_who_died_while_playing

lol okay maaaybe its worth mentioning that those deaths range from the very beginning of the 1900s when medical advances to more easily treat things like Tetenus weren't as they are today. Also a lot of these are deaths of guys who had health risks... and one guy was struck be lightening for goodness sake. Not saying soccer isn't dangerous because I've played in games where players were hauled off in an ambulance, but the link doesn't mean much also considering soccer is muuuch more vastly played world wide than soccer or course we'll see more players die on that scale with over 100 years of playing soccer. Lol

I broke myself to pieces doing BMX freestyle throughout my entire childhood, teens years and into adulthood. I suffered far worse injuries than anyone I ever knew who played football.

Point being, boys need an aggressive outlet. It's probably best you steer them toward something measured, controlled and monitored by adults. Extreme sports most often take place far away from the prying eyes of adults, and it's far more dangerous.

lol okay maaaybe its worth mentioning that those deaths range from the very beginning of the 1900s when medical advances to more easily treat things like Tetenus weren't as they are today. Also a lot of these are deaths of guys who had health risks... and one guy was struck be lightening for goodness sake. Not saying soccer isn't dangerous because I've played in games where players were hauled off in an ambulance, but the link doesn't mean much also considering soccer is muuuch more vastly played world wide than soccer or course we'll see more players die on that scale with over 100 years of playing soccer. Lol

Which is why I said 18, since 2008, and could careless about deaths in the 1900s....

Whos ages were 22,27,24,34,26,28,26,25,25,19,32,24,30,34,30,27,25 18 people dead in 4 years as a direct result of playing a sport, minus the guy killed by hooligans....

Sure soccer is played more worldwide, but these were PRO matches, not run of the mill indoor soccer leagues....They were pros....48 people dying ON the field, or in practice, since Peyton Manning started an NFL Game...

What's dangerous again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_footballers_who_died_while_playing

Almost all of them a type of heart failure in the last 10 years. PEDs or are they just running themselves to death?

Whos ages were 22,27,24,34,26,28,26,25,25,19,32,24,30,34,30,27,25 18 people dead in 4 years as a direct result of playing a sport, minus the guy killed by hooligans....

A lot of heart issues on that list (cardiac arrest and heart attack). Kind of makes me wonder if performance enhancing drugs are a factor.

Also, I think the prevalence of soccer in developing nations with substandard medical practices and facilities plays a role. I didn't read the entire list, but most of the ones that were not heart attack or cardiac arrest were things like...

Dude gets kicked in the stomach during match. Dies in hospital of infection.

Dude ran into a concrete wall during a match and died of head injuries. Seriously, who builds a concrete wall around their soccer field for people to run into?

Which is why I said 18, since 2008, and could careless about deaths in the 1900s....

Sure soccer is played more worldwide, but these were PRO matches, not run of the mill indoor soccer leagues....They were pros....48 people dying ON the field, or in practice, since Peyton Manning started an NFL Game...

Comparing the NFL to soccer is still ridiculous. There's far more pro leagues and players in soccer than there ever will be in American football.

Almost all of them a type of heart failure in the last 10 years. PEDs or are they just running themselves to death?

PED's are possible alright. I wonder how many of them would have had pre-existing health issues as well which were missed in a medical for example. The heavy exercise in a pro sport such as soccer could have easily made their conditions much worse.

Also, I think the prevalence of soccer in developing nations with substandard medical practices and facilities plays a role.

This as well. There was a player in England recently who had a lucky escape in the middle of march, Fabrice Muamba. He collapsed playing in the FA cup and his heart stopped for 78 minutes. Lucky for him a fan attending the game was a cardiologist. I doubt he'd be alive today if the necessary medical help wasn't there for him.

This as well. There was a player in England recently who had a lucky escape in the middle of march, Fabrice Muamba. He collapsed playing in the FA cup and his heart stopped for 78 minutes. Lucky for him a fan attending the game was a cardiologist. I doubt he'd be alive today if the necessary medical help wasn't there for him.

Also, you have the cases of players getting taken to the hospital for an injury and then dying from an infection. To me that is an indicator of poor sanitary practices at the hospital. For example...

Died after an infection from a simple sprain, misdiagnosed by four different hospitals.

....and one of my favorites that is completely unrelated to medical practices...

Died after a crossbar fell on his head during a warmup.

http://www.yardbarke...iscuss_10723229

it was reported on NFL Network as well as sites on the web that Kurt Warner said on the Dan Patrick Show he prefers his kids didnt play football because of the injuries and now he is taking heat from it from former teamate Amani Toomer and Merril Hoge, thoughts? I personally think the comments made by Toomer and Hoge were personal shots, thoughts?, if I had I had kids I'd let them play football but Kurts concern is valid

Gotta read that article, Hoge ended his career violently , then calls Warner uneducated because of his statements. Maybe he forgot what happened to him? He had to teach himself to read again! :facepalm:

And how does Toomer get the right to say that Warner should keep his opinions to himself about his kids playing football?

Warner seems like the only 1 with any sense

18 people out of 2000+ professional teams worldwide. Also it's worth noting that Wikipedia doesn't list the reason for some of these guys "collapsing" or going into "Cardiac Arrest". I know for a lot of these they were do due to known or unknown pre-existing health risks. and considering nearly all of these 18 guys died from heart problems I must now raise the question: Is having a fatal heart issue during a game really a testament to the brutality of the sport?

A study on sudden death from heart related issues during exercise found this:

Still, sudden death is very rare. In a 20-year study done at the Air Force Academy on recruit deaths during exercise, the incidence was 1.7 deaths for 500,000 hours of exercise. The researchers concluded that "the risk of exercise-related sudden death is no greater than deaths occurring by chance alone." Most cases of sudden death in athletes under the age of 35 are due to pre-existing structural congenital heart disease.

In people over the age of 35, exercise-related sudden death is often caused by underlying coronary artery disease. Adaptations the heart makes during normal training don't cause any of these problems. Most of us have healthy hearts, and appropriate training can reduce one's risk of some forms of heart disease. http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/heart3.html

I'm not trying to be a pain. I promise. :/

I just think we're comparing two different sports here. I mean if two guys are running at each other full speed of like 17mph and we treat them like having no bounce-back then it's no different than running into an in-movable brick wall at 17mph. Needless to say that's gonna cause some damage if not be fatal. I can't blame someone for not wanting to put their kids in danger like that, but I don't think the risk of that is high enough for people to make a big deal about it. Personally I do think Warner may be overreacting a bit, but it's not without some hint of truth.

What's dangerous again?

http://en.wikipedia....d_while_playing

Except that the soccer players you mentioned are from teams from all around the world.

There are thousands more soccer players than NFL football players.

Are we still on the Kurt Warner thread...???

The thread has an underlying moral debate about the reality of the dangers of football (or sports in general), especially at the professional level. I think in order to determine if Warner's fears are reasonable we must first delve into the nature of the dangers of the sport. Good discussion everyone. :)

Why cant a parent say they dont want their kids to go thru the same pain they did? Why is it any different than a rookie saying he is going to buy his mom a house so she never has to go thru again what she went thru to get that child to where he is?

Why cant a parent say they dont want their kids to go thru the same pain they did? Why is it any different than a rookie saying he is going to buy his mom a house so she never has to go thru again what she went thru to get that child to where he is?

I agree completely.

The thread has an underlying moral debate about the reality of the dangers of football (or sports in general), especially at the professional level. I think in order to determine if Warner's fears are reasonable we must first delve into the nature of the dangers of the sport. Good discussion everyone. :)

His fears are reasonable, if they are reasonable to him. This is about what he does OR doesn't want for his kids. Every parent has concerns, wishes, desires and safety concerns for their offspring.

For what its worth I've found two NFL deaths. Chuck Hughs for Det in the 70s had a heart attack on the field, and Korey Stringer from a few years back of heat stroke.....Anyone know of anyone else?

Korey Stringer was heat stroke during summer practice, if I remember correctly...???

His fears are reasonable, if they are reasonable to him. This is about what he does OR doesn't want for his kids. Every parent has concerns, wishes, desires and safety concerns for their offspring.

And that's the side and opinion I'm on. Yes his fears are completely reasonable, but should football be banned from high schools? Should special teams be removed? This kind of questioning is where the thread has gone because on a deeper level than just Warner this goes into the topic of the dangerous nature of football. IMO there is much that could be discussed on that topic. No one is talking about whether Warner was entitled to his opinion. lol (unless I missed someone).

And that's the side and opinion I'm on. Yes his fears are completely reasonable, but should football be banned from high schools? Should special teams be removed? This kind of questioning is where the thread has gone because on a deeper level than just Warner this goes into the topic of the dangerous nature of football. IMO there is much that could be discussed on that topic. No one is talking about whether Warner was entitled to his opinion. lol (unless I missed someone).

well that was what the original post was about.... That Hoge and Toomer were saying he should keep his opinions to himself (that's kind of like saying he's not entitled to his opinion)

well that was what the original post was about.... That Hoge and Toomer were saying he should keep his opinions to himself (that's kind of like saying he's not entitled to his opinion)

No, you're right. I definitely lost sight of that part of the original topic. I was meaning that no one on the forums seemed to be arguing against Warner's opinion. It was an honest misunderstanding on my part of whom you were defending Warner's opinion from.

Warner is totally entitled to his opinion.

What makes me the most mad is this debate is now raging because a man took his own life and somehow, its his former professions fault....They are looking for something or someone to blame rather than the own people behind there own actions.....Such is life.....

His fears are reasonable, if they are reasonable to him.

Nah, I don't buy that. He could never allow his kids to play outside because he is afraid that they could be struck by lightning, but I think most rational people would agree that is not a reasonable fear. He would be completely within his rights as a parent to never allow his kids to go outside, but that doesn't make it reasonable to do so. I think examining the basis for concern is a legitimate part of this discussion.

Plus I got to read about crazy ways that foreign soccer players die, so I'm all for it! ;)

Nah, I don't buy that. He could never allow his kids to play outside because he is afraid that they could be struck by lightning, but I think most rational people would agree that is not a reasonable fear. He would be completely within his rights as a parent to never allow his kids to go outside, but that doesn't make it reasonable to do so. I think examining the basis for concern is a legitimate part of this discussion.

Plus I got to read about crazy ways that foreign soccer players die, so I'm all for it! ;)

My comment about his fears being reasonable, were strictly related to his fears of injury from football, and you knew that...Seeing how he suffered numerous concussions playing the game, his fears are reasonable. And I resent your comment about the lightning strike, because I have known two people struck and killed by lightning, so my fears of allowing my children outside in thunderstorms is also reasonable...

My comment about his fears being reasonable, were strictly related to his fears of injury from football, and you knew that...Seeing how he suffered numerous concussions playing the game, his fears are reasonable. And I resent your comment about the lightning strike, because I have known two people struck and killed by lightning, so my fears of allowing my children outside in thunderstorms is also reasonable...

You're taking this too personally. I agree that his fears are reasonable. I am on record in the past saying that the moment a football player decides that he doesn't want to play football anymore, he should be free to quit and nobody should question it. I don't care if it's in the middle of the season, a week before training camp, or the week before the Super Bowl. If he is tired of taking a beating every week, he should be able to walk away from it without judgment because it is his body and he is the one that has to deal with the effects of the punishment every week. This was not a popular opinion when Quinn Pitcock decided that he was done with football while on his way to training camp, but I stand by that opinion 100%. I believe it should be entirely up to the athlete (or in this case the parent) whether they take that punishment.

What I don't agree with is the notion that just because a fear is reasonable to him, then that makes it reasonable in general. I don't buy that. I thought the example that I made up was kind of an absurd extreme (but I guess not). Things are rarely that cut and dry. On the one hand, there are things that I think pretty much any parent would agree are a concern. On the other hand, there are things that are irrational to be concerned about because they have such a miniscule chance of happening. In between, there are most things in life that are a judgment call that will vary from parent to parent to parent.

So I guess what I was trying to say was that I agree with you in this specific case, but I don't agree with you in general.

You're taking this too personally.

So I guess what I was trying to say was that I agree with you in this specific case, but I don't agree with you in general.

I normally don't take things personally, this just struck a nerve in me for some reason. :whiteflag: truce... :)

:whiteflag: truce... :)

I guess so. I was never really on the offensive to begin with. I was just discussing.

If you know two people that have been killed by lightning, though........well, bad made-up example on my part. That is just flukey crazy.