Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Pick Lavon Brazill (WR)

Andy

That's the thing you think he reached and let impact players slip. The Colts board might very well disagree with you. That's the important thing to remember they are using their board not ours and not the media's. Just because Mel Kipper or whoever says player xxx was better doesn't mean that's the case.

No, I think they were trying so hard to avoid reaching and were overly stuck to their board ... I am suggesting that they should have reached a little bit for a couple players even if it might have been a little early/a reach according to "their draft board".

No, I think they were trying so hard to avoid reaching and were overly stuck to their board ... I am suggesting that they should have reached a little bit for a couple players even if it might have been a little early/a reach according to "their draft board".

That's what you do though, that's why you spend so much time to develop a board. You honestly think player x is better than player y and when it comes to draft if player x is there you take him over player y because you think he's beter. If they honestly thought that player was better he would have been rated higher to start with. Every GM will tell you that when you start reaching for "need" that's when you get into trouble when you are drafting.

That's what you do though, that's why you spend so much time to develop a board. You honestly think player x is better than player y and when it comes to draft if player x is there you take him over player y because you think he's beter. If they honestly thought that player was better he would have been rated higher to start with. Every GM will tell you that when you start reaching for "need" that's when you get into trouble when you are drafting.

I don't want to be reaching the entire draft, and I know they say "if you draft for need you will end up drafting badly" .... but I do not think that is an absolute ... there are times a player may not be BPA on your board, but if he is a need and not ranked that far below where you are at (for example it is your pick at top of 4th, and you have a player of need ranked middle/lower 4th (but not BPA on your board); I think that is an acceptable reach) then you should go get him.

I don't want to be reaching the entire draft, and I know they say "if you draft for need you will end up drafting badly" .... but I do not think that is an absolute ... there are times a player may not be BPA on your board, but if he is a need and not ranked that far below where you are at (for example it is your pick at top of 4th, and you have a player of need ranked middle/lower 4th (but not BPA on your board); I think that is an acceptable reach) then you should go get him.

See you can argue they did that yesterday with Fleener. We don't know what their board looks like and if they are doing this or not.

Polian was bashed constantly for taking tiny players. Now this new guy is doing the same thing. Already 2 undersized receivers.

But since he is our new GM, we should all be happy and become hypocrites? no, no thank you.

Drafting the 2 small WR's is a mistake. I like the 1st 3 picks tho.

I like this pick A LOT. Brazill was a star receiver in a VERY pass happy MAC conference, so he's used to being the go-to receiver in situations where the defense knows they're going to be airing it constantly.

Brazill's a little smaller than what Arians had in Mike Wallace, but the weapons around Luck are coming together pretty nicely. He's got two potential studs at TE, a very fast wideout group in Wayne/Avery/Brazill, and Collie in the slot.

Polian was bashed constantly for taking tiny players. Now this new guy is doing the same thing. Already 2 undersized receivers.

But since he is our new GM, we should all be happy and become hypocrites? no, no thank you.

Drafting the 2 small WR's is a mistake. I like the 1st 3 picks tho.

Polian was bashed for doing it on defense and the o-line. Most people didn't say much about his picks at WRs because those tended to work out. They just wanted a tall WR at some point. I am sure people now still want a tall WR but understand we need a speed guy. Grigson does look to try to be getting bigger at the o-line and defense that's where most people size issue with Polian was.

I totally agree. Sticking to the board with BPA philosophies might work for 2 rounds but beyond that, if you believe in a player, you can reach for him by a round or two. It will not matter in the long scheme of things if that player is good. I agree with you here. Polian did that all the time, several of us including me questioned him then, with Angerer and Hayden in my case. But later, those players on the field proved us wrong. Now, I see the reasons why Polian did those.

I think overall there were not a whole lot of attractive players in the secondary this year, so the colts chose the top players that they scouted out on their draft board that were available at the time of the pick. I mean cornerback wise we have two young players on the roster in Thomas and Rucker and a dependable vet in Powers. There are still some players we can add via trades or free agency plus surprise players that may come through players that were not drafted potentially.

You just can't fix this whole thing in one draft. It's going to take about 2 to 4 years more than likely, I would bet they go all defense when next years draft comes around. Just let them finish doing what they are doing and it will probably look better than you think by the time the season starts.

I'm the one that likes the first five picks, a lot. Might not have drafted Allen in the 3rd, with the corners and linebackers that were still on the board, but we needed tight ends and he's a good one. I like everything else we did. Until you get to Ballard and Brazill. Nothing against either of them, I just don't like the picks. Ballard I'm okay with, but I don't see room on the roster for Brazill, not unless someone else gets hurt.

Avery is brittle and Collie has concussion issues... I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but I do think there is a good chance that the roster could use this kind of depth at WR in the upcoming season..

I don't know much about this kid but if he's fast I understand it. The Colts are trying to find a deep threat for Luck. The WR we took yesterday could be that but I think he got drafted mostly on his return skills.

Again for al the people getting upset with all the offensive picks there is no point to taking a franchise QB if you don't get him weapons. Had we been going defense people would be screaming that we weren't doing anything to help Luck out. This is just more proof that we just have too many holes to fill in one draft or one off-season.

Again the defense was much deeper to start with than the offense going into the draft add to that we took Luck and it's not shocking they are getting peaces to grow up with him. That's what you want players that are going to grow and develop with your rookie QB.

The defense had a pretty good core to start with. I also think the Colts think they can fill it in holes with free agency (Most of the free agency picks up were the o-line and defense which is why they aren't being addressed in the draft). That's not to say it doesn't have holes. However, unlike the offense for the most part the Colts have players on defense who can play at least for this season. No they aren't long term answers but they can get us threw till we have money to spend next off-season. We didn't have that on offense. We needed offense.

It also doesn't mean that the Colts haven't tried to get defensive help. Irsay was on the radio today telling a story of how they had a defensive guy targeted in the third round yesterday and trying to move up to get him and they "lost him" and Irsay said Pagano flipped out over it. There might have been other guys the Colts wanted and just couldn't get him. It happens in the draft.

With that said the Colts have done a very good job restocking the offensive skill spots in this draft for their new QB. Keep in mind going into the draft we had three real WRs on the roster (one of which is aging and the other two have some injury concerns) and one none pass catching tightend who is injury prone. The Colts have been filling needs. Right now, on paper, this has been a very good draft for the Colts.

I would be interested to see who we targeted too. We will never know. It does go to show that we are sticking to our board though. A lesser GM might say we missed this guy at CB and then try to force a pick of the next CB but we just kept going to the next guy on the board. We had a plan and stuck to it. I would have liked to see us trade up a couple spots in round 2 to get Randle with our 3rd pick. I think we could have taken a good TE in round 4. I will say it should make Luck very comfortable. We are doing whatever we can to surround him with options and give him a chance. I just wish he would be here this offseason to work with all these new players but he has to graduate so nothing we can do. He will just have to hit the ground hard in June.

I would be interested to see who we targeted too. We will never know. It does go to show that we are sticking to our board though. A lesser GM might say we missed this guy at CB and then try to force a pick of the next CB but we just kept going to the next guy on the board. We had a plan and stuck to it. I would have liked to see us trade up a couple spots in round 2 to get Randle with our 3rd pick. I think we could have taken a good TE in round 4. I will say it should make Luck very comfortable. We are doing whatever we can to surround him with options and give him a chance. I just wish he would be here this offseason to work with all these new players but he has to graduate so nothing we can do. He will just have to hit the ground hard in June.

Phil B just said in a tweet:

"Colts GM learned a lot from draft. Ticked when they lost out on 2 CBs targeted. Grigson of war room, "is there a spy in here?"

So there is the answer on why we didn't go CB. They had ones they wanted just couldn't get them drafted.

Phil B just said in a tweet:

"Colts GM learned a lot from draft. Ticked when they lost out on 2 CBs targeted. Grigson of war room, "is there a spy in here?"

So there is the answer on why we didn't go CB. They had ones they wanted just couldn't get them drafted.

Growing pains for Mr.Grigson. That is fine, as long as they learn from it.

The answer Mr.Grigson, is "REACH" past round 2 if it just a round worth of reaching and you believe in the player you are reaching for. :)

Growing pains for Mr.Grigson. That is fine, as long as they learn from it.

The answer Mr.Grigson, is "REACH" past round 2 if it just a round worth of reaching and you believe in the player you are reaching for. :)

I don't agree with that the leason is move up if you want a specific player don't draft him a round higher than he should be.

I don't agree with that the lesson is move up if you want a specific player don't draft him a round higher than he should be.

Once you learn the hard way that other GMs are doing and if you cant beat it, you will join the crowd sooner or later if you need the talent badly!!! Not always but sometimes, it is worth it, IMO.

OK, I just had to re-post this. I can't always say "I'm right" but in this case I was!!! Back in Feb, I attended the Combine. Here was my feelings on what I saw that I posted here on the forum...

"I was one of the lucky 250 to be at the combine this morning. While I was definitely paying attention to Luck and Griffin, I found a couple of hidden "gems" in today's performances that I think could have an impact in our return game.

Two WRs in the "second tier" stood out to me...Lavon Brazill out of Ohio University and Danny Coale out of Viginia Tech.

Brazill is a bit undersized compared to the prototypical WR in today's times, but this guy locked onto every ball that came his way. No bobbles, no double-catches. He ran quick cuts, and when he cut upfield he was straight upfield quickly. I think he could have some great upfield moves, but I really liked his acceleration going up the field."

YES!!!!!