Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves

GoColts8818

On 10/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, JediXMan said:

I’m not defending Flowers but I’m hoping he didn’t just become a scapegoat for the biggest problem in the room Gus Bradley.

Can't excuse his mis... but I do believe he is the scapegoat... we have EGO's to deal with here... unfortunately they are Big and I don't see them ( especially Ballard ) ever admitting any fault we have seen several years...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

A scenario like this is where I believe Ballard should have signed some veteran help and let the young players grow and develop into starters. These players are not first round caliber plug and play starters in most cases.

it also creates a situation where the team has significant depth issues when a “starter” goes down. The result is you are left with giving significant playing time to guys like Baker and Flowers to the detriment of the team.

Yup. And if you go back a year or so we also had 

-Isaiah Rogers: 6th round pick

-Dallas Flowers: UDFA

And going into last season they were in the mix to be starters. The truth is that good players can come from anywhere in the draft, but when you’re banking on a secondary of almost all Day 3 picks and UDFAs to “figure it out” that’s bad for business. The other issue is that it’s super important for the secondary to be able to communicate effectively. When your nickel corner is the only vet amongst a bunch of young guys who are learning, it leads to repeated issues and breakdowns. 

The smart thing to do would be to put some cheap vets out there for a few years and have the rookies be the depth. But in our case if the 7th round corner gets injured, we have to play the rookie UDFA from Timbuktu University. It’s really just awful roster construction, that I’ve never seen work anywhere at a high level. Grigson was awful, but even he at least went out and got guys like Vontae Davis, D’Qwell Jackson, Greg Toler, Frank Gore, Cory Redding, Mike Adams, etc…Not that all of them were great but he didn’t have secondaries filled with Day 3 picks.

• Like 2

See, this is where I buy my “fire Ballard” ticket.  We had all offseason to address our DB room.  I didn’t mind us not drafting one because Ballard was correct about the youth of our DB room and there were also affordable options in FA.  But he didn’t get ANYONE and then backed out of the Sneed race because he was too much.  Fast forward to today, we cut two of the DBs we’ve drafted and cut Flowers.  Ballard “Like Our Guys” us to death and then he doesn’t even like his own guys.  

I’m 50/50 on Bradley atp but can’t put all the blame on him when he doesn’t even have the DBs to execute his scheme and that falls on one person, Ballard.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

See, this is where I buy my “fire Ballard” ticket.  We had all offseason to address our DB room.  I didn’t mind us not drafting one because Ballard was correct about the youth of our DB room and there were also affordable options in FA.  But he didn’t get ANYONE and then backed out of the Sneed race because he was too much.  Fast forward to today, we cut two of the DBs we’ve drafted and cut Flowers.  Ballard “Like Our Guys” us to death and then he doesn’t even like his own guys.  

I’m 50/50 on Bradley atp but can’t put all the blame on him when he doesn’t even have the DBs to execute his scheme and that falls on one person, Ballard.  

Getting rid of Ballard definitely means Bradley won’t be around either. And honestly? Probably a good chance no more Steichen either. 

If and when Ballard is gone, I expect a full rebuild… and it will be another continued long stretch of no playoffs unless we score on a Luck type of QB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

Why don't they bring back Micah Abrahams who they liked during Training Camp... said he was a ballhawk... can't get anyworse than what we have??

I see he just signed with the Bengals today.  Not sure if it was practice squad.  Witherspoon is on a practice squad somewhere.  He could be signed to the active roster.

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I see he just signed with the Bengals today.  Not sure if it was practice squad.  Witherspoon is on a practice squad somewhere.  He could be signed to the active roster.

right on cue for this team/ management & coaching.... though I know they have more experience ... they eye doesn't lie... oh I'm sorry I forgot to look at the high RAS 

11 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Before the season started I mentioned that press was a strong suit of Jones and I said that Gus needs to allow him to get into the WR face at the LOS. I don’t know why he isn’t playing to these players strengths. Too many free releases and cushion coverages.

gus does what gus does his failed system that does not work

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:20 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

How many teams have exclusively 1-3 rounders as starters?

If we’re sticking just to DB’s, almost every OUTSIDE corner people would consider elite are 1st round picks, with Snead and Chavarius Ward being the exceptions. Surtain, Sauce, Ramsey, Terell, Whitherspoon, Humphrey, McDuffie, Lattimore, Alexander, and Denzel Ward were all 1st round picks.

At safety, the best ones are 1st or 2nd round picks. Bates (2nd), Minkah (1st), Winfield (2nd), James (1st), Baker (1st), Hamilton (1st), and McKinney (2nd) are the top safeties and most are on big 2nd-3rd contracts.

Now I know they’re coming off getting torched by the Bengals, but the Ravens secondary consist of Humphrey, Nate Wiggins, and Kyle Hamilton who are all 1st round picks. Generally speaking, DB is a position you have to draft within the 1st two rounds to get a true star, as it’s considered a premium position.

Just read where CB Greg Newsome of the Browns could be available at the deadline.   His fifth year option next year is 13.5m.  He’s having a great year so far.  Browns caught between a rock and a hard place it seems.  I would make a call if I were the Colts.  He could be CB 1 for many years to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where CB Greg Newsome of the Browns could be available at the deadline.   His fifth year option next year is 13.5m.  He’s having a great year so far.  Browns caught between a rock and a hard place it seems.  I would make a call if I were the Colts.  He could be CB 1 for many years to come.

That is the kind of move that would be good. A youngish vet that can still grow with this team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts still have a roster move open on the 53. They haven’t added anyone from the PS. Maybe something is coming from the outside. They had two spots and only one is filled.

Ballard is saving it hoping it'll roll over to next season...

I kid, I kid...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Getting rid of Ballard definitely means Bradley won’t be around either. And honestly? Probably a good chance no more Steichen either. 

If and when Ballard is gone, I expect a full rebuild… and it will be another continued long stretch of no playoffs unless we score on a Luck type of QB. 

If Ballard is gone, it likely means Richardson isn't working out. The main draw to Steichen was to develop a QB like Richardson; other than that, I'm not attached to Steichen at all. So if Ballard and Richardson go, Steichen can go as well. 

I'd be fine with Gus leaving right now, but there's not really anyone on the staff to take his place. Richard Smith is LBs coach and run game coordinator, and I think he's the only defensive assistant that has previous NFL coordinator experience. He also has Cato June under him as assistant LBs coach.

21 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We can sure say this is all depressing for us fans 

Speak for yourself and the rest of your negative Nancy pals. I actually am enjoying these young developing Colts and trust Ballard will fill in the remaining pcs soon. It's a fun team to watch...certainly more fun than the Matt Ryan year. I look forward to the games. Have fun and enjoy your negative viewpoint. I'm sure wins will cramp your style 

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Speak for yourself and the rest of your negative Nancy pals. I actually am enjoying these young developing Colts and trust Ballard will fill in the remaining pcs soon. It's a fun team to watch...certainly more fun than the Matt Ryan year. I look forward to the games. Have fun and enjoy your negative viewpoint. I'm sure wins will cramp your style 

Yeah, I won't say I'm enjoying it, because I think this staff is doing a lot of things that I don't like.

But I'm certainly not depressed. The Colts are doing what they should have been doing as far back as 2020 -- trying to develop a young QB. If Richardson isn't the guy, then they need to find another young QB to develop. Rinse, repeat, until you have a franchise QB.

Everyone who wants to trot out a limited veteran QB in the name of 7-9 wins is missing the point. I suggest they go back and rewatch the last three seasons if that's what they want to see. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We can sure say this is all depressing for us fans 

Agreed. Thats why I was okay with doing the total rebuild after the 2022 season. 

Now? I have no clue. But if AR misses most of the season and we end up winning only 5-6 games… 

Do we push back the evaluation of AR yet again to 2025 and hope he finally gets healthy? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. Thats why I was okay with doing the total rebuild after the 2022 season. 

Now? I have no clue. But if AR misses most of the season and we end up winning only 5-6 games… 

Do we push back the evaluation of AR yet again to 2025 and hope he finally gets healthy? 

Why are you bringing up him missing most of season? Stop worrying about something that hasn’t happened.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts still have a roster move open on the 53. They haven’t added anyone from the PS. Maybe something is coming from the outside. They had two spots and only one is filled.

Kent Sterling said they are hunting to sign a DB

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

i'd love that pickup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Why don't we worry about that when he misses most of the season? 

he probably won't miss most of the season. I mean at some point he's gonna figure it out right? You touch the hot stove enough times and get burned you'd think even if you have "chef" hands, eventually you'd stop playing with fire. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That would be a Ballard move.  If you can't draft them, trade for them.  And don't sign them as FA when you don't have to give up a draft pick, pay them good money AND give up a draft pick.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That would be a Ballard move.  If you can't draft them, trade for them.  And don't sign them as FA when you don't have to give up a draft pick, pay them good money AND give up a draft pick.

I know we traded for Buckner and gave him a big contract.   But other than that, has Ballard done that again?    

Im not sure Ballard would do that for a cornerback.   

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Makes sense. There are still some vets out there. Howard is still out there.

I don’t think Howard is an option.  He had an awful, terrible spousal abuse incident this off-season.   For the Colts,  he might be radioactive.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Howard is an option.  He had an awful, terrible spousal abuse incident this off-season.   For the Colts,  he might be radioactive.   

maybe he and ogletree can be roommates. 

17 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

Can't excuse his mis... but I do believe he is the scapegoat... we have EGO's to deal with here... unfortunately they are Big and I don't see them ( especially Ballard ) ever admitting any fault we have seen several years...

Not all the way true... At seasons end we'll get the standard smug it's on me nonsense from Ballard He will change absolutely nothing and continue to get the same ol stuck in quicksand results.