Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense

hambone35

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

Our defense is terrible. Like actually really bad. 

Yes there were injuries but there were injuries to the offense also and they scored 34 points.

I get it, but 1 crucial stop a sack maybe keeps a last minute winning field goal, no pressure all day on Trevor totally unacceptable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That loss is totally and unforgivably on the defense. Yes they are banged up, but that was beyond pathetic. The tackling was ABYSMAL, coverage was awful and Trevor had all day back there.

The offense did what they had to, even if it wasnt pretty at times, with no Richardson or JT... Gus needs to be fired, immediately, I know that wont solve our defense for this year, but Gus should not be anywhere near our facility any more. Consistently awful defenses for the past few years tells you all you need to know about him and removes the excuse of "but the defense is banged up right now". 

On to the next one, but this team has no hope until they get this defense fixed.

Attrocious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, b a y s k i said:

It’s not the roster, it’s the playcalling

Well, it could be a little bit of missing Buckner, Ebukan, Kwity, Lewis.

And having Flowers rather than our local CB hope what's his name. 

Ballard provides the players for his preferred Soft defense and Gus and his ancient LB and DB coaches do what they know with what they are provided. 

Hopefully Jones and Cross turn into really solid players no matter who their DC is.  

Still a big if.

I don't want to disparage our LB's under our current staffs tutelage/designs. 

And if we fired Gus today his LB and DB coach would need to ride on the same bus. They have been together so long because they think alike I must believe. 

It's a serious dodoo situation with this many games left.

Don't you wonder what the daughters are thinking and talking to Daddy about?

I bet the girls would like to fire Gus's behind.

Monday morning thoughts on a rainy day.

• Like 1

Just saw this on Talkin' Colts on Facebook. They need to fire Bradley now and put Ballard on notice. This can't continue. Unacceptable.

Three QBs in a row have had career highs against the Colts. Amazing. We like our guys! 

Week 1

Joe Mixon 159 rush yards, most since 2021

Week 2

Josh Jacobs 151 rush yards, most since 2022 (also Malik Willis 86% of passes completed)

Week 3

Caleb Williams 363 pass yards, career high

Week 4

Justin Fields 367 total yards, career high

Week 5

Trevor Lawrence 371 pass yards, career high

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Just saw this on Talkin' Colts on Facebook. They need to fire Bradley now and put Ballard on notice. This can't continue. Unacceptable.

Three QBs in a row have had career highs against the Colts. Amazing. We like our guys! 

Week 1

Week 2

Josh Jacobs 151 rush yards, most since 2022 (also Malik Willis 86% of passes completed)

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Will Levis get ready bro!

Tyler Huntley.. you're gonna ball out on your last audition before Tua comes back

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DavePSL said:

I cant recall a defense like ours that cant ,NOT EVER ,force 3 and outs or even punts for that matter. It's ridiculous. I'm convinced the Colts are responsible for getting Trevor his 250 million dollar contract by playing us twice a year. Watch him flop again next week.

🤣 Yeah, if you're a struggling or mediocre player in need of a confidence boost, then the Colts defense is the remedy. How many times have we seen players and/or teams set career/franchise/NFL records against the Colts defense? That type of thing should be a fluke, not a regular occurrence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Which has all led to the Colts being ranked dead last in defense overall and near the bottom of every major category that matters!! The secondary looked good initially and that was because teams were running it down our throats at an epic pace. We cleaned that up only to start allowing 300+ passing yds games by opposing qds so pick your poison. Let this sink in on how bad this defense really is... They played a winless Jag team whose been beaten by both good and bad teams alike. The Jags hadn't won since December of last year. They came in with one of the WORST ranked offenses league wise yet were favored over the Colts!!

Trevor himself had lost 9 straight as a starter and his numbers as of late looked like he belonged at the YMCA instead of being paid over 200 million dollars simply because he was "next" in line on that growing qb pay scale. People literally were starting to call him a bust that hasn't lived up to the hype beside that one season under Pederson. Yet some analysts said he would have his breakout game against that lackluster Colts defense. Boy did he ever to the tune of guess what? A CAREER day!! Sound familiar with this d?

You take a subpar dc combined with a majority of meh type players on defense and this is what you get. It's a combination of both. To me only Buck and Moore would be considered near the top of their positions league wise on defense and neither was drated by Ballard. Samson was a nice pickup last season but he was lost this year before the opener and that hurt. Latu being drafted could make up some of those sacks right?

Big Grove hasn't been the same since the PED suspension. The oft injured Lewis is hurt as usual. Paye is decent as an edge setter but is not special. Dayo is hit or miss. Davis who was a disappointment in Miami is now stealing money here at dt because he has had no impact and the talented Latu has been somewhat of a ghost so far but it's still early for the first defensive player taken off the board in this past draft. Our lbs are limited in coverage and have peaked at their "not good enough" ceiling. The young secondary didn't show nearly enough last season due to injuries to just sit pat and say I like our guys. Which brings me to the guy that I say is hiding in plain site.... Chris Ballard!

The man has built a flawed team that is nowhere near championship caliber nor has it been in his 8 yrs on the job! He has not accomplished anything of substance with this team. Chris also has a mounting losing record. We don't even appear on prime time games anymore. The Commanders are now the lastest team to flip their fortunes rather quickly by going in a new direction FO wise who in turn starting aggressively upgrading the talent overall and around the new young franchise qb. Meantime I guess we'll continue to spin in that irrelevant cycle of making excuses for Ballard and his meh built Indy teams that continue to falter on a YEARLY basis but as usual "In Ballard we trust!"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

ngl, I’ve been making good money on taking any qb against the colts going +300yds lol 

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

ngl, I’ve been making good money on taking any qb against the colts going +300yds lol 

This is currently a great strategy in fantasy football, too. Take the Colts' opposing QBs and receivers - win the week but not very happily if you're a Colts fan. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

I am a little slow but are you trying to tell me something? Like are you noticing a pattern, lol!?!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Which has all led to the Colts being ranked dead last in defense overall and near the bottom of every major category that matters!! The secondary looked good initially and that was because teams were running it down our throats at an epic pace. We cleaned that up only to start allowing 300+ passing yds games by opposing qds so pick your poison. Let this sink in on how bad this defense really is... They played a winless Jag team whose been beaten by both good and bad teams alike. The Jags hadn't won since December of last year. They came in with one of the WORST ranked offenses league wise yet were favored over the Colts!!

Trevor himself had lost 9 straight as a starter and his numbers as of late looked like he belonged at the YMCA instead of being paid over 200 million dollars simply because he was "next" in line on that growing qb pay scale. People literally were starting to call him a bust that hasn't lived up to the hype beside that one season under Pederson. Yet some analysts said he would have his breakout game against that lackluster Colts defense. Boy did he ever to the tune of guess what? A CAREER day!! Sound familiar with this d?

You take a subpar dc combined with a majority of meh type players on defense and this is what you get. It's a combination of both. To me only Buck and Moore would be considered near the top of their positions league wise on defense and neither was drated by Ballard. Samson was a nice pickup last season but he was lost this year before the opener and that hurt. Latu being drafted could make up some of those sacks right?

Big Grove hasn't been the same since the PED suspension. The oft injured Lewis is hurt as usual. Paye is decent as an edge setter but is not special. Dayo is hit or miss. Davis who was a disappointment in Miami is now stealing money here at dt because he has had no impact and the talented Latu has been somewhat of a ghost so far but it's still early for the first defensive player taken off the board in this past draft. Our lbs are limited in coverage and have peaked at their "not good enough" ceiling. The young secondary didn't show nearly enough last season due to injuries to just sit pat and say I like our guys. Which brings me to the guy that I say is hiding in plain site.... Chris Ballard!

The man has built a flawed team that is nowhere near championship caliber nor has it been in his 8 yrs on the job! He has not accomplished anything of substance with this team. Chris also has a mounting losing record. We don't even appear on prime time games anymore. The Commanders are now the lastest team to flip their fortunes rather quickly by going in a new direction FO wise who in turn starting aggressively upgrading the talent overall and around the new young franchise qb. Meantime I guess we'll continue to spin in that irrelevant cycle of making excuses for Ballard and his meh built Indy teams that continue to falter on a YEARLY basis but as usual "In Ballard we trust!"

I see what will happen. AR will be often injured and the team will go in a different direction in 2025. It will be Luck the sequel . It will be another excuse and Ballard will be able to pick a qb in 2025 and start all over again, lol. I have said it numerous times. Disregard the offence and what has occurred on that side of the ball. If you were to evaluate Ballard just on building a defense after 8 years. He should have been fired for sure after last year and even sooner in my books. It is actually kind of sad how one man has lead this teams value down the tubes over the last few years. Promises from Irsay and faith in Ballard as the leader of this team has really tarnished what Manning and Luck built over the last 20 years.  When Irsay called Ballard a blue chip GM, I knew he was letting his personal relationship with Ballard get in the way of making the tough decision. In no world is Ballard a top GM. His record proves he is not as do his poor decisions over the last few years. I mean to me the nail in the coffin, and there have been many, was not addressing the corner position before the season. Every fan, Indy pod cast team and media person felt this was the area that could be the down fall of this team.  What did Ballard do? He not only didn't address the position,  but double downed and felt that they would be better in their 2nd year. What did these guys show in year one that would lead to believe that they would be starting corners in the NFL? I am so done with him and I truly feel vindicated that after years of calling him out, and getting criticized for it, as   the proof is right there in front of everyone that he needs to go and today!! I said numerous times that this team would never sniff the Superbowl under his leadership. Trust me when he is let go by the Colts. There will not be a line up for his services as others have stated on this forum.

So I had this take in the offseason, when everyone was saying we needed to add a premier pass rusher. It doesn’t matter who we have at pass rush because with our current scheme on defense, quick pass is always there so our pass rush has no time to get to the quarterback.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So I had this take in the offseason, when everyone was saying we needed to add a premier pass rusher. It doesn’t matter who we have at pass rush because with our current scheme on defense, quick pass is always there so our pass rush has no time to get to the quarterback.

I think Ballard has even stated that cornerbacks aren't high on his list.  But this is a passing league.  Things have changed.  He has not.  It's sad, really.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Our corners line up far off enough of WRs an RV can turn around between them and that negates most of what we can do rushing the passer. Which is unfortunate, because this is a year it could be very good. They’re getting pressure and making QBs uncomfortable. Theres no major star pass rusher (yet,) but there’s potential there. Buck getting hurt hasn’t helped and I think getting Latu as many snaps as possible, which we’re finally doing. I still like our pass rush. But the coverage is suspect at the absolute best, and that’s going to skew things away from the pass rush. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I see what will happen. AR will be often injured and the team will go in a different direction in 2025. It will be Luck the sequel . It will be another excuse and Ballard will be able to pick a qb in 2025 and start all over again, lol. I have said it numerous times. Disregard the offence and what has occurred on that side of the ball. If you were to evaluate Ballard just on building a defense after 8 years. He should have been fired for sure after last year and even sooner in my books. It is actually kind of sad how one man has lead this teams value down the tubes over the last few years. Promises from Irsay and faith in Ballard as the leader of this team has really tarnished what Manning and Luck built over the last 20 years.  When Irsay called Ballard a blue chip GM, I knew he was letting his personal relationship with Ballard get in the way of making the tough decision. In no world is Ballard a top GM. His record proves he is not as do his poor decisions over the last few years. I mean to me the nail in the coffin, and there have been many, was not addressing the corner position before the season. Every fan, Indy pod cast team and media person felt this was the area that could be the down fall of this team.  What did Ballard do? He not only didn't address the position,  but double downed and felt that they would be better in their 2nd year. What did these guys show in year one that would lead to believe that they would be starting corners in the NFL? I am so done with him and I truly feel vindicated that after years of calling him out, and getting criticized for it, as   the proof is right there in front of everyone that he needs to go and today!! I said numerous times that this team would never sniff the Superbowl under his leadership. Trust me when he is let go by the Colts. There will not be a line up for his services as others have stated on this forum.

I hope they don't give this man another reboot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I hope they don't give this man another reboot!

Why not. We are in the era of endless movie reboots and sequels. At times, it does appear that the Colts resemble a movie about how not to build a winning franchise. When I watched Draft Day with Kevin Costner and it was really out there and silly at times. That being said, I thought to myself "I could see Ballard pulling that move just to be different and come across as the smartest guy in the room".