Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Defense Pathetically Bad?

Smonroe

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Then isn't that a head coaching issue? After 3 years and nothing changes. Shouldn't Shane pull the trigger and fire Bradley.  If he doesn't, isn't he failing in his duties as a HC?  Just saying. U have been saying that a new D coach would bring some positive results. Let's say u r right and although u r not an  NFL coach, I  do respect your knowledge as it pertains to football. Shane must see it but isn't he  being negligent  by allowing it to continue?

Maybe the GM should give him better players first.  You have to be ultra conservative if you don’t trust your DBs to cover or press.  

• Like 1

The defense has been pretty bad this season and played a direct role in all 3 of the losses.  If you get even an average to slightly below average performance relatively in those games, at least two of those are wins and we are perhaps looking at 4-1 record right now even with a raw inexperienced QB who is developing.

This season so far is a case study in how combining low level talent with a rather simplistic, easy to strategize against scheme can lead to complete ineptitude of a unit and sink a season.  

• Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 12:36 PM, JediXMan said:

Is it a good defense no but currently it’s 15th is PPG. Also surprisingly not even last in rushing Defense Cowboys are last. 

Yeah this is a bottom 10 defense lol.

We're getting roughly what I expected we'd get from this hire.  He'll be gone after this season though thankfully and hopefully this next time around the hire will be strong.

I like the offensive design and he's locked up in the HC gig.  So now if they can get the right DC hire in they will be in very good shape schematically.

• Like 1

It’s truly a combination of coaching and skill. Now when you have an NFL franchise one, the most important thing you do is finding the best backups in case someone goes down. But more I look over the Ballard regime I see that Ballard has been a lot of high draft picks and the defensive line, but he ignored the defensive back room and the subs we have either seem to be lazy or just don’t get the pro games. But I know one thing once we get a new defensive coordinator and all the coaches that go with that it’ll be a good start. The fans will understand frustration and it may save Ballard’s job for at least one more year just can’t play 10 yards off a receiver on a 3 yard First down. I’m tired of watching three  defensive players circling a receiver and giving a big enough cushion where the ball is thrown right in these things are unacceptable. No NFL defense should look the way that ours does and has been for a long time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

We're getting roughly what I expected we'd get from this hire.  He'll be gone after this season though thankfully and hopefully this next time around the hire will be strong.

I like the offensive design and he's locked up in the HC gig.  So now if they can get the right DC hire in they will be in very good shape schematically.

Do you worry at all if Ballard gets fired Shane is gone too? This offense is on the right track. Or does Ballard get another pass allowing Shane to hire a new DC?

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you worry at all if Ballard gets fired Shane is gone too? This offense is on the right track. Or does Ballard get another pass allowing Shane to hire a new DC?

No, Shane is safe currently. The highest risk is Gus and then Chris.

I think those two get fired first before Shane is a consideration.

Having said that, I have not liked Shane's press conferences this year. I know it's about how you perform and not how you talk, but his answers have often been terrible. At least Gus has accepted the blame and when it works, explained what he did to adjust. Today's defensive performance was not really on Gus. Our players were just terrible. That won't save him though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

On a side note Justin Fields only has 68 yards so far against the Cowboys with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. After we gave up 312 yards last week…

Not a shock. Malik Willis had an 85% completion percentage against us.

2 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

No, Shane is safe currently. The highest risk is Gus and then Chris.

I think those two get fired first before Shane is a consideration.

Having said that, I have not liked Shane's press conferences this year. I know it's about how you perform and not how you talk, but his answers have often been terrible. At least Gus has accepted the blame and when it works, explained what he did to adjust. Today's defensive performance was not really on Gus. Our players were just terrible. That won't save him though.

One thing I have learned with Shane you’re not going to get much from a presser with him. His side of the ball has not really been the issue. Outside a few troubles with AR accuracy it’s been good. I agree Gus will  ne scape goat when the truth is injuries and the secondary are an issue.

I just don’t know how Irsay feels about Steichen. As long as the offense looks like it did today I don’t think Steichen a job will be in danger. As long as AR shows like he is the future and is improving he will be fine.