Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking Taylor off the field

DalTXColtsFan

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The threat of him being the field opens things up. Terrible coaching.

In theory though.  He was in the game for 3Qs having much success but the passing game still stunk when he was in.  Other things need to be in sync for that theory to work on the field, JMO.

If folks want to say that JT should have been on the field in the 4Q, I think you need to take the approach that we should have been calling running plays between the OTs to drive down field and score.  But then there is a clock issue and a diminishing number of possessions.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The threat of him being the field opens things up. Terrible coaching.

U put him in their in obvious passing downs. The D knows they are not running and they will attack even more. PS. No one even mentioned that AR was getting pressured a lot I tought. This Olinecis over rated and now u want to put a rb behind them who refuses to pass block??

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

U put him in their in obvious passing downs. The D knows they are not running and they will attack even more. PS. No one even mentioned that AR was getting pressured a lot I tought. This Olinecis over rated and now u want to put a rb behind them who refuses to pass block??

I'll repeat my edit above.

If folks want to say that JT should have been on the field in the 4Q, I think they need to take the approach that we should have been calling running plays between the OTs to drive down field and score.  But then there is a clock issue and a diminishing number of possessions.  

10 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Dont buy that for a second. Why would SS tell the world that if JT is not on the feild. we are going to throw and in reverse tell the whole world if he is on the feild , we are going to run......He is way to secretive to tell that nonsense........Now SS is doing his best Ballard immitation. He is starting to lose credibility with his nonsense now. There is ZERO excuse for pulling your best weapon off the feild when the game is on the line...BTW, JT was averaging more (8.6) running the ball than we are throwing(6.0) the ball...Its just all nonsense. This team is imploding again!!! I feel that SS is trying to force AR to be a great QB whether AR is ready or not....Hey Shane, JT is proven, AR is NOT!

If Colts actually had a QB who could throw the ball down as they were; perhaps would make a little sense. But Colts don't have such QB.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Everyone played like crap yesterday except Taylor and Pierce. Our O.Line was very disappointing. 

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

If folks want to say that JT should have been on the field in the 4Q, I think they need to take the approach that we should have been calling running plays between the OTs to drive down field and score.  But then there is a clock issue and a diminishing number of possessions.  

Think JT should have been in that 3rd and 1 instead of that lousy pitch to a 3rd stringer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I'm sure this got discussed but I felt like it deserved its own thread.

Game 17 last year.  We need a TD to make the playoffs.  Taylor is not on the field.

Game 2 this year.  We need a TD to win the game.  Taylor is not on the field.

Help me understand the wisdom in not having your BEST PLAYER on the field in critical situations.

Maybe some Colts beat reporter should ask such questions. In NY market; Shane will get alot of negative feedback.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everyone played like crap yesterday except Taylor and Pierce. Our O.Line was very disappointing. 

JT had just as much chance of breaking a long one as we did throwing a long one with the defense they were in...JMO

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who said they would all be run plays. The threat of him on the field opens the pass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The Oline was good. Why do you think Taylor was that good. They didn’t really have any issues in pass protection.

Taylor had to create a lot on his own, he wasn't running off tackle like usual, he was breaking runs to the outside and used his speed is why. AR's pass protection was bad. He was pressured all day.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No doubt, was that the option play, or was there another pitch?

Yep, terrible, just run JT on a play like that, JMO.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Taylor had to create a lot on his own, he wasn't running off tackle like usual, he breaking runs to the outside and used his speed is why. AR's pass protection was bad. He was pressured all day.

I don’t think that was the case. The Oline had not been an issue last two weeks. Against Texans that was on Steichen calling the same run plays. No his pass protection was not bad. It would of stuck out if it was.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

uh throw to score ...run to win..Shane what happen to that catch phrase?

It applies to when you are ahead in the 4Q, not when you are down two scores.  You guys can criticize Shane all you want, but passing the ball is the norm when teams are down two scores in the 4Q.  Maybe it shouldn't be the norm, but it is.  

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Taylor had to create a lot on his own, he wasn't running off tackle like usual, he was breaking runs to the outside and used his speed is why. AR's pass protection was bad. He was pressured all day.

Yes.  It was refreshing to see him improvise in that way.  Nelson's name was called for several errors.

JT is a game breaking star player, Sermon is a JAG.  JT may not be great at catching the ball, but he’s serviceable at it. Bigger issue is simply throwing the ball where it’s catchable. Earlier in the game the so called “drop” he had, it was a very poor throw and even if he had caught it, because of him having to twist around to try and corral it, it was most likely not going to be a 1st down anyway.

Bottom line, JT is the man and he should only be taken out when he needs a breather, is hurt, or the game is out of reach.  To take him out in key moments of a game for no good reason, like saying they wanted to get the JAG some reps, that’s just ridiculous.  Like an earlier poster said, this is not preseason. At key moments in a game, you put your best guys out there and you get the ball into the hands of your star playmakers.  Big negative points for SS on this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, terrible, just run JT on a play like that, JMO.

Disagree on the OL.  They played great overall.  Not perfect but overall they got the job done and played great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR's pass protection was bad. He was pressured all day.

Then maybe if we are down two scores in the 4Q, Shane is thinking pass first, and Sermon is the better pass blocker when the oline is getting beat all day.  Just trying to put some logic to the thinking other than the nonsense answer of trying to get Sermon some reps.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Disagree on the OL.  They played great overall.  Not perfect but overall they got the job done and played great.

Yeah the oline has not been an issue.  I saw yesterday was the fewest carries Taylor has even gotten to 100 yards and AR wasn’t sacked or if he was it was once.  The line did their job yesterday.  The coaches play calling and personal usage?  That’s another story.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah the oline has not been an issue.  I saw yesterday was the fewest carries Taylor has even gotten to 100 yards and AR wasn’t sacked or if he was it was once.  The line did their job yesterday.  The coaches play calling and personal usage?  That’s another story.

The one sack I remember was a coverage sack.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Gambling has now been welcomed by the NFL.   It’s everywhere.  We don’t know anything about these players and coaches.  All we see is what we see on tv.  We have no idea who their friends are.  They are all model citizens until they are not.  It’s sad but it’s the truth.  When you see our coach make an absolute dump decision on benching Taylor and then try to explain it away the way he did.  You can only shake your head and say what happened here.  It makes no sense. Zero sense.

Social Media Truth GIF by INTO ACTION

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yup just saw Fries was the highest graded Colt player again this week on PFF.  75 + Kelly was also in the top five.  Pierce, Grover also in the top five.  All 70 + scores.

Shane seems to be the younger, taller version of Frank so far. Neither played situational football and no matter where they are or were on the field, instead of punting and pinning them back, we go for it and never make it. Shane handed the Packers 3 pts yesterday by going for it on 4th and 4 at our 45....early in the 3rd qtr. Unreal.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

In theory though.  He was in the game for 3Qs having much success but the passing game still stunk when he was in.  Other things need to be in sync for that theory to work on the field, JMO.

If folks want to say that JT should have been on the field in the 4Q, I think you need to take the approach that we should have been calling running plays between the OTs to drive down field and score.  But then there is a clock issue and a diminishing number of possessions.  

Taylor 8.6 yards a carry

Richardson 6 yards per attempt

Yeah he shouldve been in the game.

Yall need to take this theory that Taylor is somehow inferior in the passing game to 2 guys who have yet to make a single meaningful play in the passing game in their careers, and re evaluate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You realize he did just that against Texans and he was the reason that game was close.

Yes I realized by watching game on YouTube. Texans game a different story. Their HC and D dialed up the blitz big time. Maybe our coaches should have adjusted to that.

I think the move to remove Taylor from the game for the entire 4th Q was one of the worst in game decisions I have ever seen a coach make.  On any level.  He was tearing up the D and had made 2-3 catches very smoothly that were actual catches he should make.  He had drop where he was hit as soon as he caught it and another where the throw was way behind him and he was about to get crushed if he made the catch.  That was on AR.

If you are going to take out a top tier RB for that?  For 2 scrubs?  Then I guess Pittman and AD should have been taken out as well and replaced with 2 scrubs because they are actually paid to catch the ball and both had drops.

Just a terrible move. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Been on vacation the past two weeks and have not yet watched the replays.  is SS running any two back sets in the situations? Would seem to eliminate all of the problems?

Shane is in a fog right now.  I hope his wife’s birthday isn’t coming up soon.  He could end up in the doghouse.

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

So you’re passing the ball every down for the entirety of the 4th qtr? Got it. Frank 2.0

im ready to clean house. I’m tired of hoping the colts will figure it out every Sunday/Season. They aren’t figuring it out. Irsay can step down too. 

You're behind by two scores where the offense is struggling to score points.  Possessions are valuable, and running the ball a lot only to go 50 yards with no score probably takes one or two possessions away from the offense.  Analytics says that more possessions gives you a better chance of scoring twice, in a game where a balanced offense only produced one score.

Agree or not, but that's how the big picture analytics plays into the strategy.

In the weeds stuff like feel for the game or understanding the field is lost with these "genius" analytic types.

3 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I think the move to remove Taylor from the game for the entire 4th Q was one of the worst in game decisions I have ever seen a coach make.  On any level.  He was tearing up the D and had made 2-3 catches very smoothly that were actual catches he should make.  He had drop where he was hit as soon as he caught it and another where the throw was way behind him and he was about to get crushed if he made the catch.  That was on AR.

If you are going to take out a top tier RB for that?  For 2 scrubs?  Then I guess Pittman and AD should have been taken out as well and replaced with 2 scrubs because they are actually paid to catch the ball and both had drops.

Just a terrible move. 

Dont forget to add that JT was our second leading receiver and didn't play the entire 4th quarter while Pittman and our TE's are sleep walking. Pittman looks like a guy who got lazy and paid. ...SS is so lucky the national media doesn't care about the colts because he would be getting torched if the colts were relevant but Ballard is making sure that doesn't happen either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I'm sure this got discussed but I felt like it deserved its own thread.

Game 17 last year.  We need a TD to make the playoffs.  Taylor is not on the field.

Game 2 this year.  We need a TD to win the game.  Taylor is not on the field.

Help me understand the wisdom in not having your BEST PLAYER on the field in critical situations.

Like I don’t agree with it but it’s similer to Derrick Henry at time. Taylor isn’t the best at catching and blocking on that AR int Taylor got blown up and ar had to throw it up off back foot. But….. that being said when u take Taylor off the field defense know 99% it’s a pass. Atleast with Taylor you have to wonder it fits gonna be a run and if Taylor doe catch it he can go the distance 

The Colts handed Taylor a boat load of money which is unheard for a running back in today’s NFL.  You don’t do that and take him off the field in crucial situations for Trey Sermon and Tyler Goodson.  Shane has done just that in two of the last three games he’s coached.  Not playing maybe your best offensive weapon for a whole fourth quarter is criminal.  Shane is trying to be too cute and over thinking things trying to fool other teams and it’s not working in the slightest.  Play your best players at the most critical points of games.  That’s why you paid them.