Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week 1 vs Texans Analysis

stitches

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet he dragged Pittman again. I saw someone mention on the pierce TD he was loafing . Lol

He thought Pittman should have caught the ball on the 3d and long. I thought the same. Is it easy catch - no... But that's your big pay receiver. He's paid to make those catches.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet he dragged Pittman again. I saw someone mention on the pierce TD he was loafing . Lol

I'm about 30 minutes in, he had some criticisms, but I don't think it qualifies as dragging him. He's been more critical at other times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You know, watching this again, I think AD is going to be a problem for defenses. I know AR missed him at 19:46 or AD ran the wrong route, BUT AD is going to win that 1 on 1 10/10 times. If it was the wrong route, this route he did end up running needs to be in the playbook, because that's money right there.

AD is so damn talented. He too needs to figure some things out, because in some situations it seems like he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. But damn his pure WR talent is outrageous.if he figures things out and develops some chemistry with AR... We might have a super dynamic duo.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

AD is so damn talented. He too needs to figure some things out, because in some situations it seems like he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. But damn his pure WR talent is outrageous.if he figures things out and develops some chemistry with AR... We might have a super dynamic duo.

100%. Besides just getting comfortable with all the different routes, it's like he needs to understand the deeper meaning of the routes he's running - you're not always looking to win as much as take up a defender. But his pure talent just jumps off the screen. Him and AR are going to do some special things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

100%. Besides just getting comfortable with all the different routes, it's like he needs to understand the deeper meaning of the routes he's running - you're not always looking to win as much as take up a defender. But his pure talent just jumps off the screen. Him and AR are going to do some special things.

Yup. JT broke down the 4th down run by Richardson, and showed some great detail on how AD should have ran his route. That seems really technical, and a bit more than you might expect from a guy who's playing his first game as a pro, and who moved around some in college. But that refinement will come with time.

The one thing he really has to do is be predictable for the QB, be where he's expected to be, do what he's expected to do. And Richardson has to tighten up his ball placement. On the early 4th down, it looks like AD should be coming back to the ball -- he runs a 9-10 yard route on 4th and 1, I assume he's supposed to be attacking back toward the QB, especially with the defender still in phase. Maybe that influences how Richardson throws it?? Still, it went way over his head and out of bounds, so whether it's a mistake by the WR or not, the QB has to at least give him a chance. The play just happened so fast, it seems like one or both of them didn't execute properly.

• Like 3

The one he airmailed initially, that comeback route, I wonder if he saw the guy sneaking stealthily in his peripheral vision where if he threw it slightly to Mitchell's right, that guy could intercept it. Look at how the guy cheats off JT in the throw AR airmails around the 4:00 minute mark. They are just playing zone, reading the QB's eyes with no worries about JT taking off.

This is also because teams might not respect JT as a pass catching back or they know Steichen doesn't call many pass plays for JT. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The one he airmailed initially, that comeback route, I wonder if he saw the guy sneaking stealthily in his peripheral vision where if he threw it slightly to Mitchell's right, that guy could intercept it. Look at how the guy cheats off JT in the throw AR airmails around the 4:00 minute mark. They are just playing zone, reading the QB's eyes with no worries about JT taking off.

This is also because teams might not respect JT as a pass catching back or they know Steichen doesn't call many pass plays for JT. 

I still have no idea why we don’t use him in the pass game a lot. He can catch okay & he’s shifty. Throw him screens, run him out wide a play or two a game.

It will open up the PA much more 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Based on how the play went, how quickly he threw it, and where it landed, I would think he basically aborted the throw because he didn't like it. It just doesn't make sense to do that on 4th down, although the turnover on downs is better than a potential pick six. It's hard to see him missing that far, and he didn't react afterward like he just missed the throw. I don't know... 

• Like 1

As much fun as it is watching AR, JT does have a strong note of caution with the amount of physical hits he is taking. Looking back at the tape, it might not be sustainable. With that being said, it doesn't help when the refs miss at least 2 blatant roughing the passer incidents. That sack in Q1 was a joke, he was literally suplexed and his head walloping off the turf. Just worry about him sometimes. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm about 30 minutes in, he had some criticisms, but I don't think it qualifies as dragging him. He's been more critical at other times.

Pittman not coming back to the ball was bad FB. 

The good thing is we have tape that shows exciting opportunities and it shows fixable ones also. The coaches are on the spot for it.

This breakdown is such great opportunity for forum dwellers to get educated. Note the low participation numbers.

Oh please don't be critical of Pitt. Why not, it's on tape right in front of our eyes.

Film I think was pretty much how most of us felt Sunday.  Some ungodly throws only a few guys in the NFL can make.  Glad we have him.  But agree, you gotta hit the layups.  Some wasn't his fault, some were exacerbated by other goings on, and I still think the interception was mostly on him.  But it's hard not to leave Sunday and I think O'Sullivan helped show me that my excitement isn't just wishful thinking.  We've got a legitimate QB who will be around long term, but damn if you can tighten up the accuracy just a little bit, sky's the limit. 

Other thoughts:

-  I think O'Sullivan has always been super critical of Pittman.  Criticizing his lack of effort or going slow.   I can't tell how much it's warranted, if he just thinks he should be a lot faster than he actually is, or if he just prefers his receivers to have a different skillset. But I feel like he's always raggin on him.

-  I was amazed at how open Adonai was on many different points during the game.  That guy refines his technique, and adds a little nuance to his game, I really think he could be a legitimate threat.  Certainly the best WR on the team.  

-  We have no receiving tight ends, it seems.  We left them in to block I felt like more often than not, and I'm not sure if that's by design because they aren't really a receiving threat, or we just played it safe from a game plan perspective.  We'll see more in the coming weeks.  But I have soured on Mo Allie Cox for several years now and he was invisible in this one.  Really the same with Granson.  Coulda had a catch but slipped, which eh, okay, still your fault.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

As much fun as it is watching AR, JT does have a strong note of caution with the amount of physical hits he is taking. Looking back at the tape, it might not be sustainable. With that being said, it doesn't help when the refs miss at least 2 blatant roughing the passer incidents. That sack in Q1 was a joke, he was literally suplexed and his head walloping off the turf. Just worry about him sometimes. 

That 4th down rushing TD I feel like he could’ve ran past that defender if he really tried to.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I laughed when I saw this. 😂

That is funny. Richardson's passes were so much longer than those of other QBs that it can't be shown on the second graph. Right? (It will be fun watching Richardson throw. Hopefully, he practices getting down before big hits.)

Among other things, is this graph showing that Justin Fields had the most Time to Throw (TTT) while Caleb and Tua had the least TTT? I want to make sure I am reading it right. (You should post this in the NFL section too.)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is funny. Richardson's passes were so much longer than those of other QBs that it can't be shown on the second graph. Right? (It will be fun watching Richardson throw. Hopefully, he practices getting down before big hits.)

Among other things, is this graph showing that Justin Fields had the most Time to Throw (TTT) while Caleb and Tua had the least TTT? I want to make sure I am reading it right. (You should post this in the NFL section too.)

You're reading it right.  Although in Caleb's case, I think it was because - as Roto/NBC Edge put it - "the game is moving too fast!"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

That 4th down rushing TD I feel like he could’ve ran past that defender if he really tried to.

If he tried, good chance he's tackled short because his momentum would've been going sideways instead of thru the defender.  I liked the choice as his odds were better and the game was on the line, but dude, don't make it a habit out of it or you'll be Luck 2.0.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah AR was off the charts lol.

Yep, Caleb and Tua with least TTT and Jackson and Fields with the most.

Edit: To be clear, this is not how much time the OL gave the QBs to throw, but how long it took the QBs to throw. Fields has always taken forever to get rid of the ball.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Film I think was pretty much how most of us felt Sunday.  Some ungodly throws only a few guys in the NFL can make.  Glad we have him.  But agree, you gotta hit the layups.  Some wasn't his fault, some were exacerbated by other goings on, and I still think the interception was mostly on him.  But it's hard not to leave Sunday and I think O'Sullivan helped show me that my excitement isn't just wishful thinking.  We've got a legitimate QB who will be around long term, but damn if you can tighten up the accuracy just a little bit, sky's the limit. 

Other thoughts:

-  I think O'Sullivan has always been super critical of Pittman.  Criticizing his lack of effort or going slow.   I can't tell how much it's warranted, if he just thinks he should be a lot faster than he actually is, or if he just prefers his receivers to have a different skillset. But I feel like he's always raggin on him.

-  I was amazed at how open Adonai was on many different points during the game.  That guy refines his technique, and adds a little nuance to his game, I really think he could be a legitimate threat.  Certainly the best WR on the team.  

-  We have no receiving tight ends, it seems.  We left them in to block I felt like more often than not, and I'm not sure if that's by design because they aren't really a receiving threat, or we just played it safe from a game plan perspective.  We'll see more in the coming weeks.  But I have soured on Mo Allie Cox for several years now and he was invisible in this one.  Really the same with Granson.  Coulda had a catch but slipped, which eh, okay, still your fault.  

I have to disagree with JTO about MPJ. That 3D incomplete is a catch MPJ could make, sure, but that was not an easy catch in traffic. He had to leave his feet a bit and catch it over his head. And since it was contested and his arms were extended, he never had a chance to bring it into his body and protect it. MPJ could have held on, but AR could have made a better throw into his numbers...both are true.

On the other clip where he criticizes MPJ, who knows.  We don't know even know the route. And if MPJ was loafing, that ball was still behind. If he was running faster, that ball would have been more behind him and probably into the belly of a S.

But I stand by what I have been saying all offseason. Unless MPJ gets his number called downfield, MPJ's numbers are going to take a hit with AR. MPJ thrives in the area that AR is still developing. Meanwhile, a guy like AP or AD are the deep threats where AR is having his success. And when Downs comes back, I think they will use him down the seam again.

Nothing against MPJ, but for the time being, AR is not an ideal QB for him to put up big numbers.

• Like 4

Several times if Richardson looked away from Pittman guys were open.JT was open several times as well with space to work. I don’t really think Pittman is loafing as much as he just seems slow compared to Ad and Pierce. Also Pittman always has thrived in battling for balls in tight coverage and that doesn’t seem to be Richardson’s strong point

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Other thoughts:

I think they did it on purpose bc of the pass rush and they wanted to feature the receivers more. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Exactly! I hope to watch next week's game. Are the AR critics still not impressed?

I mean, some of the accuracy issues are definitely a thing, but to me it looks like it's coachable stuff. It'll get better with experience. Nothing to worry about. I expect he'll look better by seasons end.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Several times if Richardson looked away from Pittman guys were open.JT was open several times as well with space to work. I don’t really think Pittman is loafing as much as he just seems slow compared to Ad and Pierce. Also Pittman always has thrived in battling for balls in tight coverage and that doesn’t seem to be Richardson’s strong point

this.  MPJ isn’t going to get open as fast as the others.  If this offense is to work the way it should, MPJ will get his production once defenses start to respect our deep ball.  So essentially, MPJ will become the second or third read depending on the situation.  

our game against the Texans has put the league on notice.  Teams will know now that we have AP and AD going deep and they will catch it if AR can get it there.  It’s similar to what happened with Levis, how he blew the roof his first game and then after that nothing.  So let’s see how things go as the season go on.  If MPJ still can’t eat after our deep threats open the field, then it may be more about MPJs lack of speed. 

I honestly want to see MPJ motioned in more.  Use him as a pseudo tight end.  He thrives in the short and mid range.  Let him work inside with downs or something.  Since we seem to can’t get any production from our tight ends

4 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Same thing Andrew Luck went through. Looked further deep more than underneath probably because he trusted his deeper throws better to TY and others. Once Arians got on him for ignoring a wide open Donald Brown going across the field. Same thing happened with MPJ streaking across underneath at a depth of 10 yards or less and AR ignoring him

Rivers, on the other hand, thrived on YAC and guys moving across in San Diego and Indy with the occasional jump ball to tall WRs that he constantly had. No wonder MPJ numbers were high with him. With Wentz, it was MPJ and little other than him but now that we have options, MPJ is bound to produce WR2 / Tier 2 numbers once AD settles in. But then once AR gets better with another year, MPJ might make a comeback.

• Like 1