Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

That's why I wanted us to control the TOP. I knew the more opportunities we gave them to possess the rock they would eventually cash in They just have to many guys to deal with. Not only did we not control the TOP but they controlled it on us big time. We still got explosives though and kept the ball game tight even though the numbers flipped on us. Just have to execute better.

Our offense did basically enough to win this game. The time of possession does tell a tale, and part of that has to do with the fact that of two TD drives were super short. The TD to Pierce took just 5 plays (73 yards) and 1:32 of time. The TD to Dulin was 7 plays (65 yards) for 1:29 of time.

Think about that for a minute…two TD series covering 138 yards took a mere 3 minutes and 1 second off the clock. Typically drives of that yardage will take around 4-7 minutes. Our offense didn’t need the time but likewise it gave the Texans a lot more time on offense since they weren’t scoring as quick and subsequently our defense was tired. Especially since it was the first full game of the season.

EDIT: we also had another TD run by AR and that was 11 plays (73 yards) and that one took 2:28. So 3 TD drives took just 5 minutes and 29 seconds. 

Once AR settles down and gets his accuracy under a little more control the offense can be scary good. Obviously we didn’t run the ball like we expected to…and some of that was again due to two TD series moving down the field in just a few handful of plays.

This was a good game it really was…I can’t find any other way to view it as moving in the right direction. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I believe of the 19 pass attempts AR had today only 2 of those were attempted to the TE group… that says something to me for sure. You’d expect that to be higher. 

Yes sir and 1 pass was a pick and the other one should have been picked coming off of our preseason where Granson cost us a pick 6 against Cinci. ..................QUIT THROWING TO THESE TERRIBLE TE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That goes to SS and AR...Quit trusting bad players to make plays because they will cost you games. Just put 4 wr's out there or at the very least give Mallory a chance....Again why i always laugh when people say "Loaded TE Room"...Pffttttt....Loaded with crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So does this game have you feeling better or worse about the rest of the season? 

How would you answer?

I would be disappointed about losing a close game against my division rival, but I would feel good about the rest of the season. You guys nearly beat one of the best teams in the league. Also, the Jags and the Titans lost and are also 0-1. Their QBs did not play great.

9 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Yes sir and 1 pass was a pick and the other one should have been picked coming off of our preseason where Granson cost us a pick 6 against Cinci. ..................QUIT THROWING TO THESE TERRIBLE TE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That goes to SS and AR...Quit trusting bad players to make plays because they will cost you games. Just put 4 wr's out there or at the very least give Mallory a chance....Again why i always laugh when people say "Loaded TE Room"...Pffttttt....Loaded with crap.

Was stupid to have Mallory deactivated today

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

75% passing by stroud. Ha ha

My question was more about scheme. Did the scheme with the new DL coach hurt the linebackers?   And does his scheme hurt the run game?

No I meant the idea that Ballard wont do something just because he hasnt done something already.

I think what you just said about DL play affecting LBers is actually a very smart question. The answer in probably. Mixon was running thru giant holes all game long. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

I have never liked granson, he isn’t a great blocker or receiver! He needs to go. If you are going to be able to run the ball consistently you have to have at least one te that can block on the field.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is no excuses not to win these next to games with Love out. Caleb didn’t look great today. 

One would think, with Love out...

But Bradley's defenses always have a way of making "all pros" out of other teams backup QBs

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mitchell studder stepped on the first one. The good news is Mitchell was open. Once they get that chemistry it will hit.

He was slowed down a bit as he was held on the play. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How would you answer?

I would be disappointed about losing a close game against my division rival, but I would feel good about the rest of the season. You guys nearly beat one of the best teams in the league. Also, the Jags and the Titans lost and are also 0-1. Their QBs did not play great.

I feel about the same. So far I’m not surprised from what we’ve seen in AR. He’s a running threat with a good deep ball. I’m more surprised the run D was so bad.  Had they not been a sieve Im pretty sure we would have won the game. I remain forever hopeful that we get better as the season goes along.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I have never liked granson, he isn’t a great blocker or receiver! He needs to go. If you are going to be able to run the ball consistently you have to have at least one te that can block on the field.

Good point but lets make the TE that goes out for passes a guy that can do that without causing turnovers and falling down on routes or running wrong routes...You would think our coaches would look at metrics and patterns and if they did , they would see that our TE's kill our offense . I'm convinced we could get a TE off a practice squad that could not make mistakes when they are on the feild .

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Didn’t have AR having more passing than some of these guys week 1 rust is real.

Williams 93 yards 14/29 0 td 0 int

Brissett 121 yards 15/24 0 td 0 int

Levis 127 yards 19/32 1 td 2 int

Nix 138 yards 26/42 0 td 2 int

Herbert 144 yards 17/26 0 td 0 int

Cousins 155 yards 16/26 1 td 2 int

Fields 156 yards 17/23 0 td 0 int

Young 161 yards 13/30 0td 2 int

Lawrence 162 yards 12/21 1 td 0 int

Murray 162 yards 21/31 1 td 0 int

Burrow 164 yards 21/29 0 td 0 int

Watson 169 yards 24/45 1 td 2 int

Smith 171 yards 18/25 1 td 1 int

Prescott 179 yards 19/32 1 td 0 int

Daniels 184 yards 17/24 0 td 0 int

Jones 186 yards 22/42 0 td 1 in

most of his yards were on 3 plays , he needs to hit some dink and dunkers to move the chains, but i was still very impressed with him

• Like 1

What’s crazy is that Ballard has left the team with no options at CB. You have to have options when things are not working. We only had two outside CB dressed.

Ballard said flowers was ready but he clearly isn’t if he was making him inactive. Just a total failure. Imagine if jones or Brent’s get injured. We don’t have another outside CB.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What is not shocking here is if the defense doesn’t get sacks they can’t stop anything. Colts have no way to stop a defense unless they are getting a sack.

I don’t agree because it’s only been one game. An adjustment in the Run D is coming. What they didn’t do today was anticipate the cutback. Mixon was continuously cutting back against the flow and the Colts overran the play all game long. They also failed miserably at setting the edge. Let’s see if they fix these problems next week before throwing in the towel. I think they will. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

One would think, with Love out...

But Bradley's defenses always have a way of making "all pros" out of other teams backup QBs

We’ve been doing that since 2011… Last time this team was a true powerhouse was 2009. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

if Bradley was actually letting them have the run because he was worried about the passing game then we don’t have good enough players on the secondary.

You need to stop being toxic. It's not as if that's just any old offense we faced. There's a lot of problems and fires you have to put out dealing with that squad. They are going to do things like what happened today to a bunch of teams. We probably won't see another offense as well rounded as Houston. I'd be willing to bet we won't have too many other teams gash us on the ground like that.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s crazy is that Ballard has left the team with no options at CB. You have to have options when things are not working. We only had two outside CB dressed.

Ballard said flowers was ready but he clearly isn’t if he was making him inactive. Just a total failure. Imagine if jones or Brent’s get injured. We don’t have another outside CB.

I have a feeling we’ll be seeing the new CB we claimed on waivers from the 49ers soon.  Needs to learn our communication signals before he can get out there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You need to stop being toxic. It's not as if that's just any old offense we faced. There's a lot of problems and fires you have to put out dealing with that squad. They are going to do things like what happened today to a bunch of teams. We probably won't see another offense as well rounded as Houston. 

Maybe Ig this team wasn’t crap every opening game and start winning we could  be more positive. No that was not normal run defense. It looked like a bunch of 3rd string guys.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have a feeling we’ll be seeing the new CB we claimed on waivers from the 49ers soon.  Needs to learn our communication signals before he can get out there.

He isn’t an outside corner. He is a nickle 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don’t agree because it’s only been one game. An adjustment in the Run D is coming. What they didn’t do today was anticipate the cutback. Mixon was continuously cutting back against the flow and the Colts overran the play all game long. They also failed miserably at setting the edge. Let’s see if they fix these problems next week before throwing in the towel. I think they will. 

Plus, Mixon is a top tier running back. We saw how badly Cincy missed him today. I can’t tell you how many times Burrow would rely on Mixon when a play would break down. 

Stroud is going to have a very good year with that kind of security and trust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe Ig this team wasn’t crap every opening game and start winning we could  be more positive. No that was not normal run defense. It looked like it wax out 3rd string guys.

He isn’t an outside corner. He is a nickle 

I know but he will play.  He thinks he’s a pretty good press corner.  We claimed him for a reason.  Jones and Brent’s played good today.  I’m not worried about the secondary as much as I thought I would be after today’s game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I know but he will play.  He thinks he’s a pretty good press corner.  We claimed him for a reason.  Jones and Brent’s played good today.  I’m not worried about the secondary as much as I thought I would be after today’s game.

We only have two outside corners because they clearly don’t think flowers is ready. Injuries are going yo happen.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Our offense did basically enough to win this game. The time of possession does tell a tale, and part of that has to do with the fact that of two TD drives were super short. The TD to Pierce took just 5 plays (73 yards) and 1:32 of time. The TD to Dulin was 7 plays (65 yards) for 1:29 of time.

Think about that for a minute…two TD series covering 138 yards took a mere 3 minutes and 1 second off the clock. Typically drives of that yardage will take around 4-7 minutes. Our offense didn’t need the time but likewise it gave the Texans a lot more time on offense since they weren’t scoring as quick and subsequently our defense was tired. Especially since it was the first full game of the season.

EDIT: we also had another TD run by AR and that was 11 plays (73 yards) and that one took 2:28. So 3 TD drives took just 5 minutes and 29 seconds. 

Once AR settles down and gets his accuracy under a little more control the offense can be scary good. Obviously we didn’t run the ball like we expected to…and some of that was again due to two TD series moving down the field in just a few handful of plays.

This was a good game it really was…I can’t find any other way to view it as moving in the right direction. 

I worry about his accuracy but I'm going to keep watching. If he could ever get that straightened out he will put up big time numbers.

• Like 1