Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp August 2nd

1 minute ago, AKB said:

all good points. the FS is the last line of defense, I would rather have the savvy vet who seems to be hitting his prime rather than a young question mark at the position. 

also, our SS tends to sit closer to the line of scrimmage, so a missed coverage or tackle there hopefully won't hurt as bad as a missed coverage at FS

Depends on the coverage, but yeah. Last year it was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 4, and in one there's a single high safety, and in the other there are two high safeties. And we did both with minimal pre-snap disguise, so it's pretty easy to determine what we're doing. 

I think Blackmon is better at SS, but I don't have a super strong opinion on it, and I'm someone encouraged by reports of him making plays playing FS today. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

Depends on the coverage, but yeah. Last year it was mostly Cover 3 and Cover 4, and in one there's a single high safety, and in the other there are two high safeties. And we did both with minimal pre-snap disguise, so it's pretty easy to determine what we're doing. 

I think Blackmon is better at SS, but I don't have a super strong opinion on it, and I'm someone encouraged by reports of him making plays playing FS today. 

we were almost exclusively in single high looks. 

when the play evolves it might not end up as cover 3, but even in the case of disguising the defense as a cover 3, i'd rather have the vet. 

yes, I know that in cover 2, and cover 4 both safeties play shell, but outside of very long downs, we rarely did this. Most of our snaps were cover 3, cover 3 matche, cover 1, and then shell safeties when conservative. 

'The Colts (Gus Bradley, 55.5 percent) and Panthers (Ejiro Evero, 55.1 percent) handily paced the league in Cover-3 utilization rate in 2023'

with the bulk of cover 3 snaps, you get a lot of disguised looks from cover 3, still isolating a safety to make the right read. 

I'm really hoping for a middle-of-the-pack defense pass yards allowed - hopefully, our pass rush is more consistent, that might help some. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The bigger question is why did Ballard put us in this position to have to move Blackmon who just had a career year at SS.

Maybe he doesn’t see it as some on here do?  Or perhaps there was just too many holes to focus on. Or perhaps he couldn’t attract the FAs he thought would be a fit. 

who knows

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Maybe he doesn’t see it as some on here do?  Or perhaps there was just too many holes to focus on. Or perhaps he couldn’t attract the FAs he thought would be a fit. 

who knows

maybe he's just not that good at dealing with safety or secondaries in general.  (I might be off by like a year on one or two)

---Draft Picks:
1. **2017** - **Quincy Wilson** (2nd round, 46th overall) - BUST
3. **2019** - **Rock Ya-Sin** (2nd round, 34th overall) - TRADED FOR A PASS RUSHER (1 YEAR)

2. **2020** - **Isaiah Rodgers** (6th round, 211th overall) - BUSTED FOR GAMBLING
4. **2020** - **Julian Blackmon** (3rd round, 85th overall) - Primarily a safety but has played cornerback. (GOAL!)
5. **2021** - **Kenny Moore II** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Not drafted but significant as he was signed in 2017 and became a key player. (UDFA DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH)
6. **2022** - **Dallis Flowers** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Not drafted but notable for contributions to special teams and cornerback depth. (UDFA - C- GRADE)
7. **2023** - **Darius Rush** (5th round, 138th overall) (ONE OF THE FEW TIMES BALLARD HAS CUT HIS OWN SO QUICK)

---Free Agent Signings:
1. **2017** - **Nate Hairston** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Added depth to the cornerback position. (NOT GOOD)
2. **2018** - **Pierre Desir** (Free Agent from the Cleveland Browns) (GOOD FIND< BUT DIDNT LAST LONG)
3. **2020** - **T.J. Carrie** (Free Agent from the Cleveland Browns) (AGING VET< DEPTH)
4. **2021** - **Xavier Rhodes** (Free Agent, former Pro Bowl cornerback from the Minnesota Vikings) (ANOTHER TEAMS LEGACY CORNER AT THE END OF HIS CAREER)
5. **2022** - **Brandon Facyson** (Free Agent from the Las Vegas Raiders) (ARGUABLY THE WORST ON HERE)

6. **2022** - Stephon Gilmore (Trade with the Carolina Panthers) (GREAT MOVE< BUT THE ROSTER WAS SO BAD HE WANTED OUT)

-------------------------He arguably has handled safety better than the corner -------------------------------

Draft Picks:

2017 - Malik Hooker (1st round, 15th overall) - Primarily a free safety. (INJURY - COWBOY)

2019 - Khari Willis (4th round, 135th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (CHOSE RELIGION OVER FOOTBALL)

2020 - Julian Blackmon (3rd round, 85th overall) - Primarily a free safety. (TOP 15 SAFETY MOST LIKELY THIS SEASON- WOULD BE A BELOW AVERAGE CORNER)

2021 - Shawn Davis (5th round, 160th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (F TIER PICK)

2022 - Nick Cross (3rd round, 96th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (JURY STILL OUT)

Free Agent Signings and Trades:

2017 - Matthias Farley (Free Agent from the New York Jets) - Primarily a strong safety. (ATHLETIC STOP GAP< UNRELIABLE

2018 - Mike Mitchell (Free Agent, retired before the season started) - Briefly signed but did not play for the Colts. (GREAT SIGNING< REMINDS ME OF MIKE DAVIS SIGNING IN THE PAST, HE HELPED THE TEAM A LOT)

2021 - Andrew Sendejo (Free Agent from the Minnesota Vikings) - Primarily a strong safety. (DUDE PLAYED HARD< AND GAVE US EVERYTHING< GOOD SIGNING)

2021 - George Odum (Free Agent from the San Francisco 49ers) - Primarily a strong safety/special teams contributor. (SPECIAL TEAMER WHO GOT PLAY TIME BECAUSE THE ROSTER WAS BAD)

2022 - Rodney McLeod (Free Agent from the Philadelphia Eagles) - Primarily a free safety. (MIKE DAVIS< MIKE MITCHELL< TYPE VET SIGNING. WAS DEPENDABLE)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Love the Haka. 

In Tonga it’s called Sipi Tau. Most Polynesian cultures have a version of a pre war ritual. Really fun to see the Islanders face each other and prepare for battle when playing each other in Rugby. Tonga and Samoa have had some classics. But the All Blacks Haka is the most famous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SurfinKal said:

In Tonga it’s called Sipi Tau. Most Polynesian cultures have a version of a pre war ritual. Really fun to see the Islanders face each other and prepare for battle when playing each other in Rugby. Tonga and Samoa have had some classics. But the All Blacks Haka is the most famous.

As a geography teacher, it's one of my favorite parts of the year when I get to teach about all of the various islander cultures. Yes, I agree the All Blacks is one of the most visually stunning with all of them performing it together. So cool. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

As a geography teacher, it's one of my favorite parts of the year when I get to teach about all of the various islander cultures. Yes, I agree the All Blacks is one of the most visually stunning with all of them performing it together. So cool. 

Here is one of the best. Enjoy 😉 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The bigger question is why did Ballard put us in this position to have to move Blackmon who just had a career year at SS.

You've watched him 2 days straight pick the ball off. Seems like not much of an issue.

Just now, krunk said:

You've watched him 2 days straight pick the ball off. Seems like not much of an issue.

we also saw Jones get cooked two days in a row too. so maybe he should get cut. 

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

we also saw Jones get cooked two days in a row too. so maybe he should get cut. 

1 guy is proven and the other is a second year player so.......

• Like 1

Blackmon to FS is probably the best thing to do. Harrison at SS which is where he is experienced. Both of them you can trust will be where they are supposed  to be.They say during the season they had been playing Cross at Nickel when they played 3 safeties.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Blackmon to FS is probably the best thing to do. Harrison at SS which is where he is experienced. Both of them you can trust will be where they are supposed  to be.They say during the season they had been playing Cross at Nickel when they played 3 safeties.

I can see the thinking on Blackmon and Harrison.  It just bugs me that Ballard was okay paying Houston $10m or so to play DE but he’s not able to get Simmons or Diggs for what I would think might approach that range.  Maybe he has tried who knows.   I would bet he has a couple of irons in the fire in case he’s not happy with the way it’s going.  Just not ready to pull the trigger yet.  The angst is getting to me though.  I would have made a move by now.  But he’s the boss and all we can do is wait to see what happens.

• Like 2

Y’know, Justin Simmons doesn’t need a TC or any pre-season snaps to come in and play some reliable FS for us.  There’s time, and I’m sure he’s kept himself in NFL shape…

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

you make a good point. I would rather have Harrison at SS, if he's gonna start 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Your just robbing Peter to pay Paul moving Blackmon back to FS.

but don't you think the deep safety is more of a liability chloe?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AKB said:

you make a good point. I would rather have Harrison at SS, if he's gonna start 

but don't you think the deep safety is more of a liability chloe?

We might be able to cover  up the SS  easier yes. What about injuries ect. It’s not really solving the issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Heck yes. That game will be extra spicy. 

Don’t forget a D Buck, he and Tua are both Samoan and grew up 15 minutes away from each other. Granted Bucks a little older. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

That's what I would do.  Put Blackmon at FS, and use a variety of combinations of Moore, Cross, Harrison, Thomas, Carlies depending on formation and individual player coverage strengths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I can honestly live with this.  I didn’t think of this at first because I’d rather have the vet and Blackmon at SS, but this honestly works on paper to me.  Maybe even try cross out at SS due to his intangibles and may put him in a better situation since he has last to think about in that role.  Will also help keep Blackmon healthier.

unfortunately, this fails if Blackmon can’t play FS well or gets hurt…then we’re screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We might be able to cover  up the SS  easier yes. What about injuries ect. It’s not really solving the issue. 

It does solve the problem. Plenty of time left to fill out the depth. I hope not but Cross may end up being one of the depth pieces amongst others 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Y’know, Justin Simmons doesn’t need a TC or any pre-season snaps to come in and play some reliable FS for us.  There’s time, and I’m sure he’s kept himself in NFL shape…

My thoughts exactly. A lot of veterans are quite content to sit out training campor a portion of it. May be the case with Simmons and some other veteran safeties. Simmons has also previously stated he wants to play for a SB contender which he may not feel we are a contender. Time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKB said:

maybe he's just not that good at dealing with safety or secondaries in general.  (I might be off by like a year on one or two)

---Draft Picks:
1. **2017** - **Quincy Wilson** (2nd round, 46th overall) - BUST
3. **2019** - **Rock Ya-Sin** (2nd round, 34th overall) - TRADED FOR A PASS RUSHER (1 YEAR)

2. **2020** - **Isaiah Rodgers** (6th round, 211th overall) - BUSTED FOR GAMBLING
4. **2020** - **Julian Blackmon** (3rd round, 85th overall) - Primarily a safety but has played cornerback. (GOAL!)
5. **2021** - **Kenny Moore II** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Not drafted but significant as he was signed in 2017 and became a key player. (UDFA DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH)
6. **2022** - **Dallis Flowers** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Not drafted but notable for contributions to special teams and cornerback depth. (UDFA - C- GRADE)
7. **2023** - **Darius Rush** (5th round, 138th overall) (ONE OF THE FEW TIMES BALLARD HAS CUT HIS OWN SO QUICK)

---Free Agent Signings:
1. **2017** - **Nate Hairston** (Undrafted Free Agent) - Added depth to the cornerback position. (NOT GOOD)
2. **2018** - **Pierre Desir** (Free Agent from the Cleveland Browns) (GOOD FIND< BUT DIDNT LAST LONG)
3. **2020** - **T.J. Carrie** (Free Agent from the Cleveland Browns) (AGING VET< DEPTH)
4. **2021** - **Xavier Rhodes** (Free Agent, former Pro Bowl cornerback from the Minnesota Vikings) (ANOTHER TEAMS LEGACY CORNER AT THE END OF HIS CAREER)
5. **2022** - **Brandon Facyson** (Free Agent from the Las Vegas Raiders) (ARGUABLY THE WORST ON HERE)

6. **2022** - Stephon Gilmore (Trade with the Carolina Panthers) (GREAT MOVE< BUT THE ROSTER WAS SO BAD HE WANTED OUT)

-------------------------He arguably has handled safety better than the corner -------------------------------

Draft Picks:

2017 - Malik Hooker (1st round, 15th overall) - Primarily a free safety. (INJURY - COWBOY)

2019 - Khari Willis (4th round, 135th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (CHOSE RELIGION OVER FOOTBALL)

2020 - Julian Blackmon (3rd round, 85th overall) - Primarily a free safety. (TOP 15 SAFETY MOST LIKELY THIS SEASON- WOULD BE A BELOW AVERAGE CORNER)

2021 - Shawn Davis (5th round, 160th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (F TIER PICK)

2022 - Nick Cross (3rd round, 96th overall) - Primarily a strong safety. (JURY STILL OUT)

Free Agent Signings and Trades:

2017 - Matthias Farley (Free Agent from the New York Jets) - Primarily a strong safety. (ATHLETIC STOP GAP< UNRELIABLE

2018 - Mike Mitchell (Free Agent, retired before the season started) - Briefly signed but did not play for the Colts. (GREAT SIGNING< REMINDS ME OF MIKE DAVIS SIGNING IN THE PAST, HE HELPED THE TEAM A LOT)

2021 - Andrew Sendejo (Free Agent from the Minnesota Vikings) - Primarily a strong safety. (DUDE PLAYED HARD< AND GAVE US EVERYTHING< GOOD SIGNING)

2021 - George Odum (Free Agent from the San Francisco 49ers) - Primarily a strong safety/special teams contributor. (SPECIAL TEAMER WHO GOT PLAY TIME BECAUSE THE ROSTER WAS BAD)

2022 - Rodney McLeod (Free Agent from the Philadelphia Eagles) - Primarily a free safety. (MIKE DAVIS< MIKE MITCHELL< TYPE VET SIGNING. WAS DEPENDABLE)

It isn't just Ballard....we have a scouting staff. Ballard does have final say though(unless Irsay intervenes) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

My thoughts exactly. A lot of veterans are quite content to sit out training campor a portion of it. May be the case with Simmons and some other veteran safeties. Simmons has also previously stated he wants to play for a SB contender which he may not feel we are a contender. Time will tell.

They all say that...in the end, it all comes down to $$$$

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boss7894 said:

The question is, is there anybody that'll take our defense to another level that's still available?  Because if not... what's the point?

Imo Simmons would take our defense to a new level.  He was just rated somewhere in the middle of the top 100 players in the league and he’s not on a team.  Strictly because of his contract demands imo.  He would be our closer.  He paired with Blackmon would be awesome.

• Like 1

So who's better? Blackmon FS/Cross, Harrison SS. Or Simmons/Diggs FS, Blackmon SS? I don't think there's any comparison. I think Ballard knows this. That's why I think it's Simmons or Diggs who just don't want to sign. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Imo Simmons would take our defense to a new level.  He was just rated somewhere in the middle of the top 100 players in the league and he’s not on a team.  Strictly because of his contract demands imo.  He would be our closer.  He paired with Blackmon would be awesome.

Simmons and Blackmon would give us a pretty good Safety duo. At this point I just don't think Simmons wants to play here or he wants more than Ballard wants to pay - both are likely.

I don't believe Ballard would sit back and relax with us not having a clear starting FS and knowing we've had some pretty poor secondaries these past 2 seasons. We need better than than 28th in points allowed. A lot better.

• Like 2