Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

1 minute ago, PackersNation said:

Get excited. Other teams have injuries too. It all evens out. The Colts will be fine.

Yeah, that's what I fear. They'll be fine again - not great or even very good, but fine. I believe they have a chance to be better than fine this season if things fall right and they should have improved the secondary to give themselves a better chance of that. 

2023 9-8 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2022 4-12 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2021 9-8 regular season, playoffs, 0-0

2020 11-5 regular season, playoffs 0-1

2019 7-9 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2018 10-6 regular season, playoffs 1-1

2017 4-12 regular season, playoffs 0-0

I'm honestly not upset about losing Simmons as some on here are, but what I feel is the greater issue is Ballard refuses to admit there's a problem and then when it does become a problem he addresses it a year or so later.

Happened with LT, WR, Edge, QB, and now S

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard actually has made us weaker or has done nothing in case of injuries.

I am still hoping the Colts can pick up some competent depth at safety and cornerback from other teams' cuts. I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

I am still hoping the Colts can pick up some competent depth at safety and cornerback from other teams' cuts. I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen. 

Ya cause Simmons is signing with Atlanta so much for getting upgrades over the guys that are not getting the job done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm honestly not upset about losing Simmons as some on here are, but what I feel is the greater issue is Ballard refuses to admit there's a problem and then when it does become a problem he addresses it a year or so later.

The past few seasons have included the phrase "yeah that was on me" from Ballard in regards to a position he didn't address. You can't fix everything, but you also can't ignore anything.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am not even mad. It’s more sad that I allow myself to get excited for a season and nothing changes. 

It's frustrating, but it should still be interesting and hopefully exciting to see how much the Colts can improve with what should be a better offense and pass rush. 

I didn’t need Simmons. But there was so many safeties out t there in FA. Remember colds went and for McLeod as insurance. He ended up the starter. Where is the insurance if it does not work or for injuries. There are only 17 games. You can’t wait until Dane four after it bites you in the butt to fix it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It depends on what Ballard's convinced him of. If Steichen thinks he can elevate an offense that scored a lot of points last year, then he might not see throwing money at the secondary/continuing to focus on development as a huge priority. He could easily agree that sticking to the course is the best strategy longterm. He may be confident that they can get leads, put pressure on quarterbacks with the strength of the front on defense and it will take pressure off the secondary. 

I think what we’ve learned about Ballard from the stories about the draft is that if Steichen wants help, Ballard tries to get it. 

Hard for me to think if Steichen wants Simmons or Gilmore Ballard won’t at least try.  

And I don’t understand you comment about Ballard saying to stick with the program.  Ballard has already conceded he’ll make a move after the 3 PS games if he thinks he needs help.  I’m expecting multiple moves after the cutdown.  You seem unconvinced.  I don’t know why?   

40 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Yeah, that's what I fear. They'll be fine again - not great or even very good, but fine. I believe they have a chance to be better than fine this season if things fall right and they should have improved the secondary to give themselves a better chance of that. 

2023 9-8 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2022 4-12 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2021 9-8 regular season, playoffs, 0-0

2020 11-5 regular season, playoffs 0-1

2019 7-9 regular season, playoffs 0-0

2018 10-6 regular season, playoffs 1-1

2017 4-12 regular season, playoffs 0-0

Its clear that if Ballard gets descent QB play, we will be a good team. 

1 hour ago, PackersNation said:

Careful what you wish for, if you want him gone. There are a lot worse GMs than Ballard. 

I have never really advocated for him being fired. Because a new GM could bring on a bunch of new issues. It’s just disappointing he laughs in our face and he knows the issues and still does nothing.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think what we’ve learned about Ballard from the stories about the draft is that if Steichen wants help, Ballard tries to get it. 

Hard for me to think if Steichen wants Simmons or Gilmore Ballard won’t at least try.  

And I don’t understand you comment about Ballard saying to stick with the program.  Ballard has already conceded he’ll make a move after the 3 PS games if he thinks he needs help.  I’m expecting multiple moves after the cutdown.  You seem unconvinced.  I don’t know why?   

I think he’ll make moves too, but I’m not convinced he’s going to get a starter, which is what people here want. That’s what I’m referring to regarding sticking to the program. They are developing young players, and if Steichen has bought into that, then he’s going to say that we can win with what we have while they develop, and point to a more explosive offense and pass rush which will help a young secondary. May even make them more aggressive. I just repeated myself, but I hope it clarifies my vague comments. I think he is likely content with the offense and can use it for any justification of sticking to the process. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am not even mad. It’s more sad that I allow myself to get excited for a season and nothing changes. 

I'm excited about AR being healthy and having a good season and how the new pieces on offense will look. I look forward to watching AR run the offense 

Granted our secondary is going to get torched by Nico, Stroud, Calvin Ridley and Lawrence but I'm trying not to think about that too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

the big difference being that he was working to address LT, receiver, edge, qb. And those are premium positions and are arguably in a better spot than since 2018. Safety is not a premium, and doesn’t appear it ever will be in Ballard’s time here. He drafted safety his first year for a lame duck coach and when it didn’t work out really honed in on if was even important. 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Trading for Budda Baker was always my first choice.  Still could happen.  Never hurts to hope. 

That's not going to happen old friend. About zero chance. I told ya he's too short.

Just now, krunk said:

That's not going to happen old friend. About zero chance. I told ya he's too short.

He certainly has distinguished himself for being too short.  Maybe size doesn’t matter in all instances.  There are always exceptions to the rule.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There you go.  I don’t think I’m alone on this one.  Just wishing and hoping is all that we can do.

Definitely not alone on this one. Saw this somewhere else but either Ballard will come out looking like a genius or a complete bafoon when we this is all said and done. 

OR

He’s cooking something up as we speak and will surprise us all. Ignorance is bliss 😁

• Like 1

If teams are in the mindset thier going to make a bunch of deep passes on the colts.....

I just want the 5-15 yd passes covered good. Aggressive and help. 

If our secondary shows up and linebacking group we can hang with any team. 

Id rather see more encouragement on here cause stuff happens, people will make plays. The main thing is being on next play. And being aggressive and on point in reads.

I will repeat. If anybody is brought in it will be an up and coming young guy who had a really nice preseason. And that guy will be upgraded depth. But don't be surprised if they keep Rodney Thomas as Cross backup. Y'all like to throw young players in the garbage can too quickly. I remember when Zaire Franklin used to get in the game early in his career and people thought he was a joke. Thomas honestly has always been meant to be a backup first. A guy that they took their time to train and groom. Unfortunately he got called into duty too fast. I think the Colts like both Cross and Thomas to be honest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He certainly has distinguished himself for being too short.  Maybe size doesn’t matter in all instances.  There are always exceptions to the rule.

Not with Ballard at safety. He always sticks to his measurable. He only deviates at Nickel CB 

1 hour ago, Jz0204945 said:

I think we are going to give up a lot of points this year cause can't cover anything on the backend.

And thats easiest place to see whats going on. Why would we have trouble there?

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think he’ll make moves too, but I’m not convinced he’s going to get a starter, which is what people here want. That’s what I’m referring to regarding sticking to the program. They are developing young players, and if Steichen has bought into that, then he’s going to say that we can win with what we have while they develop, and point to a more explosive offense and pass rush which will help a young secondary. May even make them more aggressive. I just repeated myself, but I hope it clarifies my vague comments. I think he is likely content with the offense and can use it for any justification of sticking to the process. 

I suppose it’s possible that Ballard might opt for a more Rodney McCloud level safety.   I’d be disappointed if that happens, but McCloud enjoyed the best year of his career grading in the mid-80’s. 

It’s hard for me to believe the Colts created all this cap space and then not sign someone so clearly better than everyone else at his position.  Not saying Simmons won’t end up in Houston or Atlanta or JVille.  Those locations have quality of life issues that might appeal to him.  

But I’m modestly hopeful we can make him an offer he’d accept.  I view every day that Simmons doesn’t sign with any other team a small win for the Colts.  

On some of these reports I think the media is full of it. Talking about people getting burnt and then later on mentioning there was no pass rush. It was 7 on 7 where the QB can just sit there all day and take his time to throw. Other stuff where fine details are left out.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ok I personally think this whole secondary issue is being completely overblown. Safety is a concern sure, but the way I see it you need to just have Blackmon play FS. We need to stop forcing Cross at FS because it's not working. Put him at SS and let him use his best skillset which is attacking at the LOS. He doesn't have the instincts to play in space so stop trying to force the situation. 

As for CB, while Jones seems to be getting picked on, I haven't heard anything about Brents getting beat either in TC or in joint practice. If he was, then I would be concerned seeing how Brents is our top outside corner. 

The wanna be GMs still don't realize we will get a very decent free safety or strong safety when cut time comes.

My main issue with some of the reporting is they always talk about a disastrous secondary but darn near every practice the defense beat the offense. How do you do that with a bad secondary? We get to the Broncos game and the starting secondary does it's thing. Gives up no points and gets turnovers. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

My main issue with some of the reporting is they always talk about a disastrous secondary but darn near every practice the defense beat the offense. How do you do that with a bad secondary?

Only way we will know for sure is when we see the games coming up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The wanna be GMs still don't realize we will get a very decent free safety or strong safety when cut time comes.

After seeing the little amount Simmons got, most definitely