Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp July 25th

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yikes 

Can't emphasize enough how happy I am that this is Steichen's attitude. I think all the talking heads clamoring for limiting his running have no clue what they are talking about. You do NOT draft a player like AR if you are not going to run him. Once you draft him you accept the risks that come with that aspect of his game. It is what it is. Of course, make him make smarter decisions and avoid unnecessary hits, but the threat of his running is big part of what made him a prospect worth taking that high. So yeah... Run an offense built around your QB's best attributes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Love it! Colts media needs to stop with that obsession that they need to limit or hide AR. Yeah, we are scarred by QB injuries, but this is what comes with drafting a QB like AR. If they wanted a traditional pocket QB they should have picked Jake Fromm or someone like that. When you draft AR, you run him and use that threat of his run to build an offense around it- both pass- and run-wise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Yeah, we should be putting up close to 30 a game if everything goes right on offense. I'm just asking for good health for our players for once.

30 is a lot to average. Id say somewhere around 25 would be more realistic 

• Like 2

Would you stop Steph from shooting from the 3? That is a dumb thing to say personally, lol. Steph doesn't get rocked by 200+ lb men; he shoots a ball into a basket. AR runs the ball and gets tackled. IDK why he made that weird comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Would you stop Steph from shooting from the 3? That is a dumb thing to say personally, lol. Steph doesn't get rocked by 200+ lb men; he shoots a ball into a basket. AR runs the ball and gets tackled. IDK why he made that weird comment.

Yup.  100 percent.  Not Shane’s best analogy.   Oh well…. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Yeah, it was probably just an off the cuff response.  We all know he meant you don’t take away what makes a guy special.  

AR addressed it, he knows he has to run smart for the success of the team.  Mahomes is a great example, he runs when he sees an opportunity and rarely gets hit doing it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

It's called an analogy. You don't ask an athlete to stop doing something he's gifted at .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Maybe it is just me, but I loved the analogy. His point was you don't take away a person's best strength. I guess some didn't get it Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.  100 percent.  Not Shane’s best analogy.   Oh well…. 

I don't have a problem with it. Clearly he's trying to suggest you don't take away a player's best asset. Obviously you want to protect AR, but his legs are an advantage 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's called an analogy. You don't ask an athlete to stop doing something he's gifted at .

Jesus Christ, clearly, I know it is an analogy; it's a bad one just like your post. He is a quarterback, and he throws the ball, so he shouldn't be running like that. Him being "gifted" by being able to run? That's not being gifted. That's just being an athlete; most people can run. Steph is a 3-point shooter and is the best at it. you don't ask him to stop doing it because he can't be stopped. AR can be stopped and get hurt, so yes, you should ask him to stop doing it. yeah, if he has to run and get away or something, sure, then run, but he shouldn't be running like he was doing. He will end up getting hurt again. 

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't have a problem with it. Clearly he's trying to suggest you don't take away a player's best asset. Obviously you want to protect AR, but his legs are an advantage 

That's fine. Obviously, you don't want to take his legs away when we could use them. That shouldn't be his best asset, though, as an NFL quarterback. His arm should be. If he has to use his legs to scramble, then use them, but don't just run all the time because he WILL get hurt. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe it is just me, but I loved the analogy. His point was you don't take away a person's best strength. I guess some didn't get it Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

yeah, but his best strength is what's gonna make it his biggest weakest sooner or later if he keeps it up.

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Jesus Christ, clearly, I know it is an analogy; it's a bad one just like your post. He is a quarterback, and he throws the ball, so he shouldn't be running like that. Him being "gifted" by being able to run? That's not being gifted. That's just being an athlete; most people can run. Steph is a 3-point shooter and is the best at it. you don't ask him to stop doing it because he can't be stopped. AR can be stopped and get hurt, so yes, you should ask him to stop doing it. yeah, if he has to run and get away or something, sure, then run, but he shouldn't be running like he was doing. He will end up getting hurt again. 

Would it had been better if Shane would have used Lamar as an example? Lamar ran a bunch last year and stayed healthy. You and few others are just scared the dude is going to get injured again. It's football, a QB can be injured on any given play anyway. Look at Rodgers last year. He dropped back to pass and got injured on the 1st play of the season. Does anyone want AR running all the time, NO but he still should when the opportunity is there for a big gain. 

18 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

That's fine. Obviously, you don't want to take his legs away when we could use them. That shouldn't be his best asset, though, as an NFL quarterback. His arm should be. If he has to use his legs to scramble, then use them, but don't just run all the time because he WILL get hurt. 

Personally I think his arm strength is better then his legs, but I get your point. AR running should still be looked at as taking advantage of defenses. Not saying run him to the ground, but it's a skill that can be used to stress defenses. Just like how you can get hurt running, you can get hurt in the pocket

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would it had been better if Shane would have used Lamar as an example? Lamar ran a bunch last year and stayed healthy. You and few others are just scared the dude is going to get injured again. It's football, a QB can be injured on any given play anyway. Look at Rodgers last year. He dropped back to pass and got injured on the 1st play of the season. Does anyone want AR running all the time, NO but he still should when the opportunity is there for a big gain. 

Lamar has been hurt a lot actually in the NFL and missed many games, so I guess that would help my case more. You can get hurt any play, yes, but we would like to minimize the chances of getting hurt as much as possible, don't you think? Like I said, he can still scramble and run when he needs to, like, for a big gain; just needs to stop running as much and on unnecessary plays.

• Like 1

Just now, tweezy32 said:

Lamar has been hurt a lot actually in the NFL and missed many games, so I guess that would help my case more. You can get hurt any play, yes, but we would like to minimize the chances of getting hurt as much as possible, don't you think? Like I said, he can still scramble and run when he needs to, like, for a big gain; just needs to stop running as much and on unnecessary plays.

That is a good post actually. Just run, when necessary, I think he showed he can pass last year pretty well. That Rams game was nice.

Football is a game of luck sometimes; I mean look at last year, there were a lot of drop back QB's that seldom run that got injured. Rodgers, Burrow, Cousins, Lawrence, even Stroud got concussed and missed 2 games. It was amazing that Minshew stayed healthy all season. That almost won us the division. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Football is a game of luck sometimes; I mean look at last year, there were a lot of drop QB's that seldom run that got injured. Rodgers, Burrow, Cousins, Lawrence, even Stroud got concussed and missed 2 games. It was amazing that Minshew stayed healthy all season. That almost won us the division. 

When do you all play your first preseason game?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

My name isn't Jesus Christ but thanks. They didn't draft AR to be a pocket passer so you're in for a major disappointment. I have an assignment for you ...look up the meaning of the word analogy and let the class know of your finding.

Russel Wilson with the Seahawks years 2012 to 2020 - 9 full seasons

He rushed the ball 803 times for 4,506 yards (5.6 yd ave) in 144 consecutive games without ever getting injured.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

August 11th, Sunday vs the Broncos.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet you are excited to see if JJ is the real deal. I see Jefferson signed long term, that will help him. Your run game is suspect though. Addison just got a DUI. 

Sam will be the starting QB. The former Packers Aaron Jones is our starter at RB. (No more Vikings talk here.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creekside said:

He rushed the ball 803 times for 4,506 yards (5.6 yd ave) in 144 consecutive games without ever getting injured.

Great example, so it can happen if the QB is smart when to run and go down. Lamar ran a lot last year and won MVP. He did in 2019 as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Cam Newton made a living on running the ball and did it for 8 seasons (2011-2018) without being injured. He didn't start getting injured until his 9th season which was 2019. His way worked for the most part, he won an MVP and went to a SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

if everyone “can run” then why aren’t more qb’s able to? He is gifted. His size and speed make him very gifted. His ability to read defenses and find running lanes and stretch plays with his legs isn’t normal. 

He was drafted to be a runner. I’m not sure what part of that you are confused or angry about. It’s not going to change. They want him to be a true passer. But it’s his running ability that causes headaches for defenses and will make this offense special. They aren’t moving away from it. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Come on.   The difference couldn’t be bigger.   No one is physically trying to hurt Steph Curry whenever he has the ball.  And the guys trying to hurt AR weigh between 200-300 pounds and are literally trying to inflict a hurt on AR.  

Of course I get what Shane is trying to say.  He just said it poorly.   Remember, I’m a Shane fan.  My number one choice as the new HC.  But from time to time, he has moments.   Just saying. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on.   The difference couldn’t be bigger.   No one is physically trying to hurt Steph Curry whenever he has the ball.  And the guys trying to hurt AR weigh between 200-300 pounds and are literally trying to inflict a hurt on AR.  

Of course I get what Shane is trying to say.  He just said it poorly.   Remember, I’m a Shane fan.  My number one choice as the new HC.  But from time to time, he has moments.   Just saying. 

Should Josh Allen and Lamar stop running too?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would the analogy have been better if he said do you stop Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen from running?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I mean, I would say the biggest difference is that one plays tackle football and one plays basketball. So of course no one is trying to take Steph to the ground… I think his point is being ignored. You don’t take away a player’s (regardless of sport) biggest strength. Seemingly every analogy can be picked apart. 

29 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I mean, I would say the biggest difference is that one plays tackle football and one plays basketball. So of course no one is trying to take Steph to the ground… I think his point is being ignored. You don’t take away a player’s (regardless of sport) biggest strength. Seemingly every analogy can be picked apart. 

I think his point is being ignored missed outright.

You don’t take away a player’s (regardless of sport) biggest strength. Seemingly every analogy can be picked apart (if it's in your DNA).

Running is not AR's biggest strength. It just will be a valuable tool.

So valuable that it can help us get to and to win the Biggest Game.

AR projects to be more like Mahomes than Brady.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Running is not AR's biggest strength. It just will be a valuable tool.

So valuable that it can help us get to and to win the Biggest Game.

AR projects to be more like Mahomes than Brady.

I don’t know where you get your information… In an ideal world in the future, he plays like Pat Mahomes. But he’s nowhere near Pat Mahomes level throwing the football and running an offense. What he does better than Pat Mahomes though is run the football. He could be the best in the league, given a clean bill of health. Yes there is a risk with it. Every team that runs their qb takes the risk. And why? Because it’s a major strength that other teams don’t have, and the ability to put pressure on defenses is what makes strong runners under center special on offense. If AR can prove he can pick defenses apart consistently through the air, the designed runs become less valuable from a risk standpoint. But he’s 22 years old, has only played a few nfl games, and is still very raw. His best asset is his running ability. Not one analyst would suggest otherwise. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Should Josh Allen and Lamar stop running too?

No, no.  You misunderstand.  I’m in favor of AR running, as Allen and Jackson do.   I’m in favor of how Shane plans to do so. 

My comment is ONLY about the analogy.   I thought it was poor.   That’s it.   

54 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The only comment I’ve heard or read in the media is basically the same thing.   “We get it, but that’s a bad analogy.”  

I get his point.  I think it was in artfully stated.