Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson: AR is a freak

csmopar

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-og-quenton-nelson-on-ginormous-anthony-richardson-he-s-an-absolute-freak

im a bit worried about the 250 pound plus weight. Am I imagining things or did Jamarcus Russell balloon up after the draft too

Russell gained weight because he wasn’t training. 

AR is pure muscle. You can see a difference physically in them. Jamarcus had a noticeable beer belly. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No. But more muscle mass generally slows a person down. For a “mobile” QB, that can be a problem. 

Doesn't seem to slow down Josh Allen

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No. But more muscle mass generally slows a person down. For a “mobile” QB, that can be a problem. 

Or he could drop all that weight like Jackson and look like a middle schooler. I’ll take the muscle and looking like a tank. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-og-quenton-nelson-on-ginormous-anthony-richardson-he-s-an-absolute-freak

im a bit worried about the 250 pound plus weight. Am I imagining things or did Jamarcus Russell balloon up after the draft too

Russell ballooned up because he just quit doing anything at all, other than start hitting the purple drank hard. They sent him home with blank tapes and he was too engrossed in his quest to find the bottom of the drank to watch the tapes and figure out they were blank. But he at least told them he did watch them, so at least there was that…

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Muscle adds weight too and most kids make a big jump in weight from their rookie to second year in the league after they have a full year of NFL weight training.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

FWIW:   AR was listed at 234 in college.  Showed up at the combine at 244.  And I believe he played all last year between 250-255.   Richardson talked about it in interviews last year.  So this is not a new weight for him.  

Q said the players were weighed every day after practice.  Sounds like Steichen is pretty fanatical about keeping everyone in shape.  I’m only saying I don’t think we have to worry about anyone ballooning.  

Hope this helps.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t let his weight fool you…. AR it’s built more like a heavy weight Boxer… he’s def in shape!!!  The more impressive thing to me is that he ran a 4.4 … that’s like Calvin Johnson running in cam newtons body frame…. Dude is def a freak…. Now he could benefit from yoga to help with flexibility 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Don’t let his weight fool you…. AR it’s built more like a heavy weight Boxer… he’s def in shape!!!  The more impressive thing to me is that he ran a 4.4 … that’s like Calvin Johnson running in cam newtons body frame…. Dude is def a freak…. Now he could benefit from yoga to help with flexibility 

Anyone that can do a layout backflip like he does at his size is an alien. He has a bounce in him that I'm not sure I've ever seen. Lebron James maybe, but even then, I've never seen him flip like AR. I'm not sure flexibility is a concern. He just needs to protect himself, as it isn't going to get any better as he stays healthy and has success... He will become a target, and a large one at that. 

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

I doubt he's slowed down. We do have a fitness staff that moniters diets,training etc .

• Like 1

Google says Joe Flacco is 245lbs. Appears AR has a frame that can carry more muscle than typical QBs. Nothing to worry about bc some people are like that.  When I played semi-pro in my 20s, I weighed in at 225lbs at 5-10. I had a visible 6 pack when I flexed but my teammates called me fatty when I was on the scale lol. If I were to guess he will be around 235-240 by season end bc it’s hard to keep the muscle on while dealing with the aches and pains of playing the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If I were to guess he will be around 235-240 by season end bc it’s hard to keep the muscle on while dealing with the aches and pains of playing the game. 

One would think 10-15 lb muscle loss through a season would be highly concerning for a 22 year old…

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

One would think 10-15 lb muscle loss through a season would be highly concerning for a 22 year old…

Maybe at a pro level but I’m guessing they battle the same issues. When you lose weight it’s never just all muscle or all fat.  The three years I played I would lose at least 10lbs through the season. Wasn’t able to lift like I did in the offseason bc something always hurt. Nearly half of the weeks were mostly stretching and cardio trying to let the body heal. 

On 7/10/2024 at 1:58 PM, ChuggaBeer said:

AR is basically the same size as Cam Newton. 

Cam  6-5 247 lbs   

Luck.  6-4  240

AR       6-4   around 250 according to Q

It’s not just AR’s size, but his athleticism at that size, that makes him such a freak.  And the same was true of Newton.

AR ran the 40 in 4.43s.  Newton was 4.59s.

AR’s vertical was 40.5”.  Newton was 35”.

They were 2 of only 3 QBs to have perfect RAS scores (Culpepper was the 3rd).

• Like 1