Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Richardson: The Pocket Passer

This is basically gonna be AR's rookie year. Anything is on the table w him. If he misses more than half a games its a bad sign moving forward because make no mistake he is not here to be a pocket passer. 

I think at this point the only realistic conclusion about AR is that he can execute Steichen's offense. Thats a good start for a "rookie"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

What exactly did they say that made you change your mind? 

I haven’t forgotten my response.  I just spent a few hours looking at clips.  Found almost all of what I wanted.   

I’ll be writing my response to you later today.   Thanks for your patience.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Of course he wasn’t. Why my next sentence said afterwards I was hoping Colts would trade back and get Levis and more draft capital. 

But you knew that. Thanks 

Sorry for the snark.  It was unnecessary.  I just get a bit weary of the names Stroud, Caleb Williams, and all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Sorry for the snark.  It was unnecessary.  I just get a bit weary of the names Stroud, Caleb Williams, and all.  

Not a problem. I should not have been snarky back either. We are all in on Richardson and should be a lot of fun competing these next few years. Colts have a sneaky great roster and should start getting the recognition as a true contender very soon!!  Go Colts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not a problem. I should not have been snarky back either. We are all in on Richardson and should be a lot of fun competing these next few years. Colts have a sneaky great roster and should start getting the recognition as a true contender very soon!!  Go Colts

I think a lot of us were a bit weary of Anthony at first. One of my biggest concerns was his lack of experience and entering the draft so young. But he’s shown to be very mature and already a good leader. 

• Like 2

Just to look on the bright side also. He's at least got the tools in regards to arm strength, escapability and pocket awareness.

Good luck trying to win with a QB that doesn't have those things going for them. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 6:07 AM, Tsarquise said:

What exactly did they say that made you change your mind? 

T….    Thanks again for your patience.   Long answer ahead.   

The most important comment was this….  Right after Ballard and Steichen met the local media on draft night Ballard went live with the Pat McAfee show who were doing their own draft show….  Pat pressed Ballard…. When did Steichen buy into Richardson?  (Remember, Colts scouts had been on AR for 6 months.).  

So Steichen’s office is next to Ballard’s with an adjoining door.  And Ballard tells Pat he's in his office about a week after Steichen was hired and he can hear Steichen shouting with astonishment….  Suddenly, Shane comes racing into Ballard’s office exclaiming “have you been looking at Richardson?!?  He is unbelievable!”   (Steichen’s opinion carries weight with me.).  So clearly Ballard had not said a word about AR.  He wanted Steichen’s honest evaluation without the influence of the opinion of Ballard and the scouts.  And Steichen was madly in love with him.   Head over heels! 

Next….  There’s a video of Morocco Brown and Ed Dodds.   Brown was scouting the University of Florida.  And back in August of 22, Brown is watching Gators training camp.  He starts texting Ballard that he’s watching someone special….   Anthony Richardson.  The staff with Florida gives Brown video clips of other practices and Brown is dazzled.  Says in his 20 years of scouting Brown has never seen anyone like him.  

Now…. Dodds gets involved….   Somewhat skeptical.   Dodds says he doesn’t like to scout simply by looking at video clips.  He likes to go to games and see the player in person. And Dodds attends the first four games of the Gators 22 season, which turn out to be AR’s worst games of the season.  But Dodds says even with the highs and lows, the good and bad, Richardson’s impact can be felt in the game.  Both Dodds and Brown say with Richardson you have to defend every blade of grass, the entire field.  

By the way, while Ballard and Steichen would not compare AR to anyone, both Brown and Dodds didn’t hesitate.  They compared AR to Buffalo’s Josh Allen.  AR is an inch and a half shorter, but about 5-10 pounds heavier and much more athletic.   Faster, more explosive.  Freaky.  

Ballard, Steichen, Brown and Dodds say they met with Richardson in Florida in January for a private workout.  They were impressed with him both as a player and a person.  Came from a very difficult family background and upbringing and AR was viewed as a mature young man.  Then they brought AR into Indy for 24 hours and again, everyone commented on his unique blend of being both humble and a leader of men who wanted to get better. 

These were the comments said mostly the first night of the draft.   Some may have come two-three days later.   On YouTube, videos longer than a year old typically don’t have a date, it’s simply listed as more than a year old.  

Apologies this was so long.  Took me 45 minutes to write.  Hope this answers your question.   If you have more questions, feel free to follow up, and I’ll try to respond asap.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 1:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Now…. Dodds gets involved….   Somewhat skeptical.   Dodds says he doesn’t like to scout simply by looking at video clips.  He likes to go to games and see the player in person. And Dodds attends the first four games of the Gators 22 season, which turn out to be AR’s worst games of the season.  But Dodds says even with the highs and lows, the good and bad, Richardson’s impact can be felt in the game.  Both Dodds and Brown say with Richardson you have to defend every blade of grass, the entire field.  

Thanks for your post. Especially this paragraph. Sometimes people portray Dodds as if he didn't like Richardson, when it's more accurate to say that he took longer to come around on him than did Ballard and Brown.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 10:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now…  Lamar Jackson is a two time NFL MVP.   Justin Fields is entering his 4th season, and he wasn’t terrible with Chicago.   

Anthony Richardson started 4 games for the Colts.  He’s thrown just 84 total passes.   We’re all pulling for the kid to succeed,  but he’s got a lot to prove before  anyone can credibly say AR is better than Fields or Jackson.   

There are plenty of questions to be asked and the answers wont come until early next year.    We all could be having an entirely different conversation next off-season.  

His pocket presence is far better than fields and Lamar does a better job at sensing pressure  than both. That is why I say he is a better pocket passer.

Ha. There’s always certain phrases from media and “analysts” where immediately you know they didn’t do their homework and are just talking. 

I immediately discredit anyone that I ever heard say that AR is a “run first” QB or say that he needs to learn to “not rely on his feet”. All you have to do is watch a few snaps to see he is 100% pass first. One of the things about his makeup that I love the most is his ability to not immediately defer to his god given physical talent. 

On a more general note, after that second half against the Rams.. I had seen enough. We have a GUY. This season will be so fun.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Ha. There’s always certain phrases from media and “analysts” where immediately you know they didn’t do their homework and are just talking. 

I immediately discredit anyone that I ever heard say that AR is a “run first” QB or say that he needs to learn to “not rely on his feet”. All you have to do is watch a few snaps to see he is 100% pass first. One of the things about his makeup that I love the most is his ability to not immediately defer to his god given physical talent. 

On a more general note, after that second half against the Rams.. I had seen enough. We have a GUY. This season will be so fun.

Sadly, when someone says a player is a "run first qb" or a "running qb", they never surmise that from their style of play.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

T….    Thanks again for your patience.   Long answer ahead.   

The most important comment was this….  Right after Ballard and Steichen met the local media on draft night Ballard went live with the Pat McAfee show who were doing their own draft show….  Pat pressed Ballard…. When did Steichen buy into Richardson?  (Remember, Colts scouts had been on AR for 6 months.).  

So Steichen’s office is next to Ballard’s with an adjoining door.  And Ballard tells Pat he's in his office about a week after Steichen was hired and he can hear Steichen shouting with astonishment….  Suddenly, Shane comes racing into Ballard’s office exclaiming “have you been looking at Richardson?!?  He is unbelievable!”   (Steichen’s opinion carries weight with me.).  So clearly Ballard had not said a word about AR.  He wanted Steichen’s honest evaluation without the influence of the opinion of Ballard and the scouts.  And Steichen was madly in love with him.   Head over heels! 

Next….  There’s a video of Morocco Brown and Ed Dodds.   Brown was scouting the University of Florida.  And back in August of 22, Brown is watching Gators training camp.  He starts texting Ballard that he’s watching someone special….   Anthony Richardson.  The staff with Florida gives Brown video clips of other practices and Brown is dazzled.  Says in his 20 years of scouting Brown has never seen anyone like him.  

By the way, while Ballard and Steichen would not compare AR to anyone, both Brown and Dodds didn’t hesitate.  They compared AR to Buffalo’s Josh Allen.  AR is an inch and a half shorter, but about 5-10 pounds heavier and much more athletic.   Faster, more explosive.  Freaky.  

Ballard, Steichen, Brown and Dodds say they met with Richardson in Florida in January for a private workout.  They were impressed with him both as a player and a person.  Came from a very difficult family background and upbringing and AR was viewed as a mature young man.  Then they brought AR into Indy for 24 hours and again, everyone commented on his unique blend of being both humble and a leader of men who wanted to get better. 

These were the comments said mostly the first night of the draft.   Some may have come two-three days later.   On YouTube, videos longer than a year old typically don’t have a date, it’s simply listed as more than a year old.  

Apologies this was so long.  Took me 45 minutes to write.  Hope this answers your question.   If you have more questions, feel free to follow up, and I’ll try to respond asap.  

Very good explanation. Kind of gets me firmly on board. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 12:59 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with about everything you say here.  Not a fan of the Richardson pick. I wanted Stroud. I thought he was clearly the best QB out of the four that year. Afterwards I was hoping Colts would trade back and get Levis and more draft capital. 

Since we drafted Richardson, I have watched a lot of analysis on him. I see why they love him as a prospect. His upside is enormous and he has the ability be a matchup nightmare. I also think he is a genuinely good man. While I have my strong doubts he will reach his potential, it won’t be bc of a lack of effort. 

I’m rooting for AR. I think he deserves success and I hope he earns it. I’m all in on the kid and it looks like the Colts are too. They are trying hard to put a consistent team with depth around him to let him do what he does best. Go make plays and elevate the team around him 

I wanted stroud but knew he wouldn't  be there. I did like Richardson  over Levi's though

• Like 2