Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who on the current staff is the "scapegoat" in waiting?

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think a lot of us feel we’ll take a slight step back this season with Anthony developing. I’d say with how calm the front office is they feel the same way. The real expectations are set for 2025. 

I don’t think it’s a sure thing Anthony is going to come out and have rookie struggles. He sat and got to learn a lot last year. He doesn’t seem to make bad decisions and throw int.  I think we need to put to bed that he only played 13 college games so he will struggle. He clearly didn’t even in the small sample. Maybe a little in the first half against rams. I will even admit I was totally wrong about him not being ready.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t disagree I was just spelling out what I think it would take Ballard to get fired and then trying to say and we pretty much know half of that isn’t going to happen for sure.

I know. I should have clarified that- I was more or less expanding on your comment.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think it’s a sure thing Anthony is going to come out and have rookie struggles. He sat and got to learn a lot last year. He doesn’t seem to make bad decisions and throw int.  I think we need to put to bed that he only played 13 college games so he will struggle. He clearly didn’t even in the small sample. Maybe a little in the first half against rams. I will even admit I was totally wrong about him not being ready.

If anything expectations were increased because of what the organization saw, even though I think they are still tempered. Ballard said they were surprised by some things they saw that they thought would take time to develop. 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Absolutely, Chris has mentioned he’s further along than expected. That said, I do think they’ll take their time with him especially when it comes to keeping him healthy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If anything expectations were increased because of what the organization saw, even though I think they are still tempered. Ballard said they were surprised by some things they saw that they thought would take time to develop. 

Pocket awareness is one of the things I remember Chris stated they were surprised about. Making reads was further along as well. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If that's the case then Ballard should surround Richardson with multiple offensive weapons like the Titans have done with Levis because they will find out real soon if Will is the man or not. Stroud has options and so does Lawrence. Every year Ballard is waiting according to some on this board to the tune of being under .500 and accomplishing absolutely nothing but I'm starting to see the OVERALL gameplan now.... Plod along for another decade or so and wait for everyone else to decline.

Some laughed at John Lynch when he became a gm around the same time as Ballard but guess what he's ran circles around the "polished" talking Ballard who couldn't even take advantage of a formerly weak AFC south. The Niners haven't won a SB but they've lost two close ones while we continue to wait as Ballard uses the 80's blueprint to build a team which hasn't worked so far after years of wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

If that's the case then Ballard should surround Richardson with multiple offensive weapons like the Titans have done with Levis because they will find out real soon if Will is the man or not. Stroud has options and so does Lawrence. Every year Ballard is waiting according to some on this board to the tune of being under .500 and accomplishing absolutely nothing but I'm starting to see the OVERALL gameplan now.... Plod along for another decade or so and wait for everyone else to decline.

Some laughed at John Lynch when he became a gm around the same time as Ballard but guess what he's ran circles around the "polished" talking Ballard who couldn't even take advantage of a formerly weak AFC south. The Niners haven't won a SB but they've lost two close ones while we continue to wait as Ballard uses the 80's blueprint to build a team which hasn't worked so far after years of wash, rinse, repeat.

you are a broken record. 

11 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

And so are you with the ready made excuses for your guy.

where are the excuses? Please do share. I simply stated what I believe to be the case of Ballard being safe through this season and likely into 2026… 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the best of my knowledge I don’t have access to a website that addresses pressures.   So I don’t know what a good number is or what a bad number is.   But if the Colts are in the bottom 5 in pressures, I’d like to be somewhere in the middle.  So, perhaps between ranks 11-20.   Does that seem reasonable?   Obviously the higher the better, maybe 15-17?   I’m reaching because I have no frame of reference for what is realistic or not.  

That's... reasonable I guess. IMO unless we add more/better talent at pass-rusher, I'd be satisfied with Partridge's work if we are in the 18-22 range in pressures... and again somewhere in the middle in sacks(45-46?)... BTW notice - this doesn't mean I'd be satisfied with Ballard's building of this DL. IMO when you are playing this type of system you need your DL to be much better and he needs to get much better talent. Middle of the pack DL for a team that heavily relies on rushing with 4 and giving big cushions to the receivers is not a recipe for success. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all honesty how many resets does a guy get? Has Ballard even earned it and based on what? As long as Jim Irsay is satisfied with the mediocrity that Ballard brings he'll be safe but at some point those results won't be good enough. You are one of the main ones that comment on his lack of a competent qbs after Luck's departure like he played no part of the long list of washed or downright awful qbs including the ones he drafted in Eason and Ehlinger prior to Richardson. Bring up his factual record or accomplishments while at the helm and receive snide remarks but guess what MAYBE if Ballard changes some his approach like how he deals with free agency or his tendency to mostly trade back to gain more later rd picks to use on guys with high RAS scores instead of moving up trying to snag an upper tier type of player who produced at a high level against top competition.

With that being said I'll be the first to applaud him if the team starts winning on a consistent basis that sees a divion title or two, a few playoff runs and maybe a shot at a SB. For a guy that wants to build mostly through the draft and from inside out I'm not seeing enough special or elite in 7 plus years especially at the premium positions. HOF gm Bill Polian also built through the draft but the difference was that he hit on some HOFs or fringe type guys. His record in Buffalo and Indy reflected that too with a few SB appearances to match.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

In all honesty how many resets does a guy get? Has Ballard even earned it and based on what? As long as Jim Irsay is satisfied with the mediocrity that Ballard brings he'll be safe but at some point those results won't be good enough. You are one of the main ones that comment on his lack of a competent qbs after Luck's departure like he played no part of the long list of washed or downright awful qbs including the ones he drafted in Eason and Ehlinger prior to Richardson. Bring up his factual record or accomplishments while at the helm and receive snide remarks but guess what MAYBE if Ballard changes some his approach like how he deals with free agency or his tendency to mostly trade back to gain more later rd picks to use on guys with high RAS scores instead of moving up trying to snag an upper tier type of player who produced at a high level against top competition.

With that being said I'll be the first to applaud him if the team starts winning on a consistent basis that sees a divion title or two, a few playoff runs and maybe a shot at a SB. For a guy that wants to build mostly through the draft and from inside out I'm not seeing enough special or elite in 7 plus years especially at the premium positions. HOF gm Bill Polian also built through the draft but the difference was that he hit on some HOFs or fringe type guys. His record in Buffalo and Indy reflected that too with a few SB appearances to match.

Question:   Who was your post supposed to be sent?   Right now, it’s just a post to no one.   But you wrote a sentence where you referred to “you are one of the main ones…”

Just curious who where you talking to. 

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

record player GIF

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question:   Who was your post supposed to be sent?   Right now, it’s just a post to no one.   But you wrote a sentence where you referred to “you are one of the main ones…”

Just curious who where you talking to. 

Sorry NCF I don't know what happened. Glad you pointed that out. It was meant as a response to ColtStrong2013 from an earlier post directed to me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Eason and Ehlinger were also never drafted to be franchise QBs.  They were drafted to maybe be backups.  If you expected more from them that’s on you not Ballard.

Also it doesn’t really matter if any of us feel he deserved a reset or not.  Irsay did.  Don’t confuse people saying what happened for people saying they felt it was deserved.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Eason and Ehlinger were also never drafted to be franchise QBs.  They were drafted to maybe be backups.  If you expected more from them that’s on you not Ballard.

Also it doesn’t really matter if any of us feel he deserved a reset or not.  Irsay did.  Don’t confuse people saying what happened for people saying they felt it was deserved.  

Excellently stated. I’d say most of us have plenty of criticisms of the GM and the philosophies of team construction. We’ve just moved into acceptance knowing there’s not much we can do.

• Like 1

It won't be Ballard. Ballard got a "get out jail free card" when AR hurt himself last season.

This will essentially be viewed as AR's rookie season by Irsay. Ballard must be the luckiest man alive. In fact Ballard should play the 800M powerball.

As far as scapegoats it will either be Gus or Jim Bob Cooter

• Like 2

It should be on Ballard, but it won't he is good for this year and probably next before the "reset" wears off. In principle I dont have issue with his methodology, like someone stated above Polian did the same. I think the fundamental difference is Ballard (at least it feels this way) avoided drafting premium positions. Until AR he did not take/or hit on 1st rd LT, DE, or QB......and would not trade up to take the chance on any of those positions. I almost feel like when he first took over he tried to build the mid ranks and depth and I was on board......but he never shifted to premium position difference makers, and I am watching year 7 and we are still filling the middle and not risking the biscuit to trade up to take a chance on a premium difference maker, at least not yet anyway......for me.....the time has come, roll them bones, lets try to get a premier (dang near anything) in here......but WR,DE,TE would make my heart happy.....So the scape goat will be the coordinator that fares the worst this year......pick your poison. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

It won't be Ballard. Ballard got a "get out jail free card" when AR hurt himself last season.

This will essentially be viewed as AR's rookie season by Irsay. Ballard must be the luckiest man alive. In fact Ballard should play the 800M powerball.

Ballard drafted one of the riskiest players in last year’s draft in AR. He had a history of injuries in college and very little experience. 

Ballard gambled and lost in year one.

Let’s hope AR can stay healthy, but no doubt last year was not a get out of jail free card.

Ballard finally drafted “his” QB and got only 4 games out of him.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wasn't expecting anything from either guy because I didn't like the picks in the first place! As far as Eason I'm not so sure they didn't take a flyer on a guy with a big arm who could possibly develop behind Rivers. His comp by some coming out that he was a poor man's Josh Allen (arm wise) and could even end as a steal in the mid rounds by becoming an eventual starter in the league. See Dak and Kirk Cousins who also were 4th rd picks that eventually became starters. Hc Frank Reich at the time was considered to be a qb whisper so it's not out of the possibility to think that was the plan for Eason.

I had ALREADY said earlier that none of it matters as long as Irsay is satisfied!!!! So what's your point? You're not telling me anything I don't already know except that YOU knew for a FACT that Ballard never drafted either to be a franchise guy. Ok. I guess since neither has shown any type of success Ballard just simply threw away some picks drafting backup qbs which made no sense considering our qb hell situation post Luck. Most thought Ehlinger would go undrafted anyway and for good reason I might add. They just brought in a nearly 40 yr old Flacco cause Sam is not the answer as backup. Same as last season with Minshew but he'll stay because he's Ballard's guy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

To me the offense isn’t the issue, it’s the defense. Steichen and Cooter are probably the safest of anyone on the team right now. Bradley however…

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Just for arguments sake... Say the Colts finish below or around .500 this upcoming season and that's a strong possibility with a tougher schedule while also having to navigate inside their own division against teams which by all accounts have upgraded in talent level as they try to make a playoff push by first winning the division which gives you the easiest path to get in. 

IMO someone will take the blame because of the ground swell narrative of "one play away with a backup qb" that's been used as far as how good this team is by some who justify the lack of any DIFFERENCE making moves outside the resigning of our own. I do think the offense will improve with a healthy AR but I also think it won't matter in the end because the Colts will not benefit from one of the easiest schedules from a season ago. I say Gus will be the odd man out. His meh type defense set a Colt sack that came against  some bad offenses which were led by either backups or rookies.

There will probably be several legitimate candidates BUT I will agree with you that Gus is the favorite to take the fall. 

2nd...... Ballard

3rd....... could be Shane Steinchen but he's really liked by so many and highly regarded and he's fresh so that's not happening. But the team lost 3 out of the last 5 and that last play with the season on the line on 4th and 1 and having a career backup QB throwing to a practice squad player and the best player on the team was on the sidelines just doesn't make sense if someone doesn't buy into NFL being scripted. :thinking:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Sorry NCF I don't know what happened. Glad you pointed that out. It was meant as a response to ColtStrong2013 from an earlier post directed to me.

No worries.   I’ve done it too.   Wanted to make sure it wasn’t directed at me.  Thought I’d double check.  Thanks.   

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:16 PM, throwing BBZ said:

How about we have our d-line quit focusing so much at stopping the run and more attacking like it's always a pass play and Steichen orders Gus to disguise his coverages like good defenses do and also we blitz 30% more like average teams do.

Lets get the pressures up to suit our most knowledgeable fans. 

Stop the runner on the way to the quarterback. Wasn't that Dungy's philosophy?

On 3/23/2024 at 9:42 AM, Jason_ said:

Justin Hamilton.  If AR gets hurt again, the DL struggles to get pressure consistently or if Gay misses one kick outside of 48 yards then there's no doubt in my mind that Hamilton will be shown the door... and rightly so. 

Who's Justin Hamilton? 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, stitches said:

Sacks are not a great measure of how good/disruptive the DL is. If they stay at about the same level they were this year and we make the playoffs, it will likely be not because of the defense that we make the playoffs but despite it. 

If the secondary was so bad last year, wouldn't 51 sacks be an even more impressive stat? 

19 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

With that being said I'll be the first to applaud him if the team starts winning on a consistent basis that sees a divion title or two, a few playoff runs and maybe a shot at a SB.

Of course you would... You and everyone else that has bashed him nonstop like broken records on this forum. You all will try and gaslight the hell out of everybody on here like you didn't want him fired for the entire duration of his career.

It's hypocrisy at best. I won't support the team while they are trying to build it the right way instead of the way I think we should be approaching it from my living room couch/ipad... but you better believe I'll be the first one on here pumping myself up when the tide is turned, and the titles start flying. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

that last play with the season on the line on 4th and 1 and having a career backup QB throwing to a practice squad player and the best player on the team was on the sidelines just doesn't make sense if someone doesn't buy into NFL being scripted. :thinking:

Falling Asleep Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

and that last play with the season on the line on 4th and 1 and having a career backup QB throwing to a practice squad player and the best player on the team was on the sidelines just doesn't make sense if someone doesn't buy into NFL being scripted. :thinking:

Oh, that must have been your favorite post in months.   A chance to hint at a conspiracy theory!   Nothing makes you happier than to suggest the fix was in.   

You do know Steichen ran that exact play successfully earlier in the season to beat Pittsburgh.   And they practiced it all week for Texas.   That was going to be the go-to play the whole time.  

But please….   Don’t let facts get in the way of you enjoying your latest conspiracy theory.    Those are important to you.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

A scapegoat is someone who is blamed for someone else's mistakes. If someone gets fired for not being good at their job, they aren't a scapegoat.

IMO, Bradley does not qualify.

I think what some posters may be inferring is Bradley will probably take the fall for Ballard's DL picks not working out or the secondary and LB pieces in place not being up to top half of the league standards, if the D doesn't hold up its end of the bargain??

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I think what some posters may be inferring is Bradley will probably take the fall for Ballard's DL picks not working out or the secondary and LB pieces in place not being up to top half of the league standards, if the D doesn't hold up its end of the bargain??

Did Ballard tell Bradley to run two coverages 70% of the time with zero disguise looks? If so, then Bradley might qualify as a scapegoat.

If Bradley gets fired, it will be deserved, based on merit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Did Ballard tell Bradley to run two coverages 70% of the time with zero disguise looks? If so, then Bradley might qualify as a scapegoat.

If Bradley gets fired, it will be deserved, based on merit.

Why does Ballard then insist on keeping the scheme or the DC, if he's not in agreement with how it's called most of the season(s), especially after many years of end-of-season evaluations? 

Unusually Ballard has insisted on having certain defensive scheme and DC remain the same even after a HC change. 

I'm not saying Bradley will be scapegoat or anything as such, but accountability in this particular case of scheme selection and its further consequences solely rest on Ballard. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Why does Ballard then insist on keeping the scheme or the DC, if he's not in agreement with how it's called most of the season(s), especially after many years of end-of-season evaluations? 

Unusually Ballard has insisted on having certain defensive scheme and DC remain the same even after a HC change. 

I'm not saying Bradley will be scapegoat or anything as such, but accountability in this particular case of scheme selection and its further consequences solely rest on Ballard. 

I don't want to turn this into another Ballard discussion, which it might be designed to become from the very beginning... but I think the bolded is your own interpretation, and not established fact. Steichen and Bradley have a prior connection.

More to the point, though, I don't think a general ideology about defensive scheme needs to dictate exactly what coverages we play during games. Ballard wanting a version of the zone based, four man rush defensive scheme doesn't mean he's dictating what coverages are played, and when. There are multiple ways to deploy this scheme; for example, Bradley does it differently from Eberflus, both of whom have links to Ballard.

Think about this. Our conservative Cover 3 coverage was getting cooked halfway through the season. The best adjustment Bradley could come up with was to play an even more conservative Cover 4 coverage. This is the handiwork of a career defensive HC, who has been in the NFL for more than 15 years. If all he's bringing to the table is 'Cover 3 is too risky, let's go Cover 4 with zero disguise,' then he's not a good DC.

Also, it's supposed to be the calling card of his coaching staff that they are able to teach and develop young players. Much was made of this reputation they have when they were hired in 2022 -- not just Bradley, but his core of 3-4 assistants that came with them. But halfway through the season, our young DBs were miscommunicating and blowing coverages in the end zone for TDs. The DL got worse at generating pressure on QBs. So who have they developed? And then the DL coach was fired and replaced... which feels more like a scapegoat move than if Bradley were fired and replaced.

I'm not trying to be mean, and I don't mean any of this personally, but I don't understand what it is that Bradley is bringing to the table. I understand why everyone is tying the team's defensive identity to Chris Ballard, but it's Bradley developing the game plans, and I don't think anyone is standing over his shoulder telling him to be the most conservative DC in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't want to turn this into another Ballard discussion, which it might be designed to become from the very beginning... but I think the bolded is your own interpretation, and not established fact. Steichen and Bradley have a prior connection.

More to the point, though, I don't think a general ideology about defensive scheme needs to dictate exactly what coverages we play during games. Ballard wanting a version of the zone based, four man rush defensive scheme doesn't mean he's dictating what coverages are played, and when. There are multiple ways to deploy this scheme; for example, Bradley does it differently from Eberflus, both of whom have links to Ballard.

Think about this. Our conservative Cover 3 coverage was getting cooked halfway through the season. The best adjustment Bradley could come up with was to play an even more conservative Cover 4 coverage. This is the handiwork of a career defensive HC, who has been in the NFL for more than 15 years. If all he's bringing to the table is 'Cover 3 is too risky, let's go Cover 4 with zero disguise,' then he's not a good DC.

Also, it's supposed to be the calling card of his coaching staff that they are able to teach and develop young players. Much was made of this reputation they have when they were hired in 2022 -- not just Bradley, but his core of 3-4 assistants that came with them. But halfway through the season, our young DBs were miscommunicating and blowing coverages in the end zone for TDs. The DL got worse at generating pressure on QBs. So who have they developed? And then the DL coach was fired and replaced... which feels more like a scapegoat move than if Bradley were fired and replaced.

I'm not trying to be mean, and I don't mean any of this personally, but I don't understand what it is that Bradley is bringing to the table. I understand why everyone is tying the team's defensive identity to Chris Ballard, but it's Bradley developing the game plans, and I don't think anyone is standing over his shoulder telling him to be the most conservative DC in the NFL.

Agreed fully about Bradley.

I think it only will be known later at the end of their tenure if Ballard has been stubborn on sticking to the DC and scheme or if Steichen himself wanted to retain the existing DC when he was hired. It's a grey area where it could be either of those. 

Anyway, Bradley should have been preparing better plans this off-season with his wealth of experience, and Ballard should be monitoring which way it goes. 

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Agreed fully about Bradley.

I think it only will be known later at the end of their tenure if Ballard has been stubborn on sticking to the DC and scheme or if Steichen himself wanted to retain the existing DC when he was hired. It's a grey area where it could be either of those. 

Anyway, Bradley should have been preparing better plans this off-season with his wealth of experience, and Ballard should be monitoring which way it goes. 

So if we run the same basic defense with the same basic results, and Bradley gets fired, do you think he will have been scapegoated? Or will he have been held accountable for his own shortcomings?