Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FA Updates and News ONLY

csmopar

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

The Flacco signing was foolish. He was washed up with the Jets, and played "decent" with the Browns. 8.7 million is a massive overkill for him. 

It’s “up to” $8.7 mill if he hits all incentives.  And for that to happen, Richardson would have to have history to repeat itself so Flacco would play most of the season as Minshew did last year. 

I think the base is closer to $4.5m.  So it’s more reasonable than you think.  

• Like 5

The colts could sign anyone of us to a 1 day contract worth $100k and it would be a bargain. I can be the best employee for just one day! Not to mention it wouldn’t impact the organization financially at all 😊 

Hoping Ballard gets Simmons and/or Blackmon, I mean surely we’ve got to get a veteran in the backfield right ?

17 hours ago, w87r said:

I thinking you're reading it pretty well.

You're correct on Harrison as well, although I'm not sure what the plans are with him this year. Right now he seems to be a starting LB looking at the roster?

Ballard likes to play his guys.

Wouldn't be surprised if he will let Thomas and Scott battle it out.

I would still bring in a vet at both safety spots and I'm sure they will sometime before camp.

I agree with both of you on Cross as well. Bradley seems to make players earn his trust before he'll play them (unless forced to by injuries) and it was clear he didn't trust Cross for a while, but seemed to as the season progressed. I think this season they've got him penciled in at starting SS.

I hope they keep Harrison at LB and allow him more dedicated time there to develop as a LB. We desperately need a LB that can cover and he can provide that.

Thomas and Scott will definitely battle it out in camp, but hopefully that's for FS2 and behind a serviceable vet we being in via FA.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

I agree with both of you on Cross as well. Bradley seems to make players earn his trust before he'll play them (unless forced to by injuries) and it was clear he didn't trust Cross for a while, but seemed to as the season progressed. I think this season they've got him penciled in at starting SS.

I hope they keep Harrison at LB and allow him more dedicated time there to develop as a LB. We desperately need a LB that can cover and he can provide that.

Thomas and Scott will definitely battle it out in camp, but hopefully that's for FS2 and behind a serviceable vet we being in via FA.

Amen to everything you said.  I think Cross is the SS unless Blackmon comes back and then we a great competition to figure it out.  That’s a good thing imo.  I really like what I have seen from Harrison at LB.  I really like him in coverage and I like his football instincts out there.  I can see him as the eventual starter especially if an injury gives him an early opportunity.  A veteran FS coming on board is an absolute necessity imo.

• Like 2

Regarding Justin Simmons….  I took a look at his salary history….  He had made very, very good money.   He’s been franchised tagged TWICE, and also had a contract of 4/61.    So he is used to getting paid!  

So he may not be ready to accept a discount simply because he’s available in week 2 of FA.   He maybe holding out for a good team to view him as the last piece to their FA puzzle.   So if Ballard is hoping to get him under $10 mill a year, it’s possible he’ll have to wait and be patient.  Or CB might have to consider offering Simmons 3/33-3/36 if he wants him now.    Maybe more? 

And to be clear, I looked at his Wiki page which has his combine results.  And Simmons tested thru the roof!  A Ballard dream safety.   I’m sure he was one of the top testers at ANY position the year he came out.   

Hope the Colts get him, but patience, or a different approach, may be the key. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ColtJax said:

The Flacco signing was foolish. He was washed up with the Jets, and played "decent" with the Browns. 8.7 million is a massive overkill for him. 

Not foolish at all. Foolish is having a guy like Sam as your primary backup. Flacco was needed with Minshew leaving. AR could play all 17 games but I am not sure he will.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding Justin Simmons….  I took a look at his salary history….  He had made very, very good money.   He’s been franchised tagged TWICE, and also had a contract of 4/61.    So he is used to getting paid!  

So he may not be ready to accept a discount simply because he’s available in week 2 of FA.   He maybe holding out for a good team to view him as the last piece to their FA puzzle.   So if Ballard is hoping to get him under $10 mill a year, it’s possible he’ll have to wait and be patient.  Or CB might have to consider offering Simmons 3/33-3/36 if he wants him now.    Maybe more? 

And to be clear, I looked at his Wiki page which has his combine results.  And Simmons tested thru the roof!  A Ballard dream safety.   I’m sure he was one of the top testers at ANY position the year he came out.   

Hope the Colts get him, but patience, or a different approach, may be the key. 

I just have wishful thinking when I bring up Simmons. I give it about a 10% chance we land him, 90% we don't to be clear. That is who I would want though. That Money is a lot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ColtJax said:

I don’t think it’s only about his playing ability. I think him being a Super Bowl winning QB will be a huge help to AR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Damn.  Just a matter of time it appears.

Its a shame as he had a decent year for us

BUT

The guy has had many injuries

He may be pricing himself out of the market

The Bills checked him out and said Nope!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a shame as he had a decent year for us

BUT

The guy has had many injuries

He may be pricing himself out of the market

The Bills checked him out and said Nope!

Still looking for the money.  That's what this is about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I thought this was recent news must be slow for the Colts social media team lol.

bruh, "Colts FA Updates and News ONLY"  :thmup:

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

see above :P 

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Comepare this to colts lol.

Okudah and Henderson were busts for the teams that drafted them though, so it's not like they are great signings

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Heard tonight that Xavier McKinney was very close to signing with colts. The sneed thing talks broke off because he kept wanting more money. Hunter was close but he took less to go home.

Going home is a major factor for a lot of vets. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Going home is a major factor for a lot of vets. 

They said McKinney was close on a very large contract and packers just outbid. That would have been a heck of a pickup. At least they are trying. Seems dumb to me though to go after a 31 year old pass rusher instead of fixing the secondary.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Heard tonight that Xavier McKinney was very close to signing with colts. The sneed thing talks broke off because he kept wanting more money. Hunter was close but he took less to go home.

Ballard has said they do go after big fish but have lost out in the past.  If they went after McKinney you would think Simmons would be a target now.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard has said they do go after big fish but have lost out in the past.  If they went after McKinney you would think Simmons would be a target now.

I would hope. McKinney is very young so that would have been great but Simmons can still play. The issue is these older guys hold out to try and get with teams they think will win a SB.

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would hope. McKinney is very young so that would have been great but Simmons can still play. The issue is these older guys hold out to try and get with teams they think will win a SB.

For some reason I’m starting to think that Ballard is waiting to see how the Blackmon situation finishes before he signs another safety.  He could still very well bring him back.  He might even match another team’s offer.  Until he knows how much it will cost him to bring him back, if at all, he is going to sit tight until he knows.  I think we will know relatively soon actually.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:15 PM, ColtJax said:

He is a locker room guy that will support AR (Flacco has won in big games)

Think of him as a coach that also plays

If Flacco is starting he will can win us a game or two

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

For some reason I’m starting to think that Ballard is waiting to see how the Blackmon situation finishes before he signs another safety.  He could still very well bring him back.  He might even match another team’s offer.  Until he knows how much it will cost him to bring him back, if at all, he is going to sit tight until he knows.  I think we will know relatively soon actually.

Tell you the truth we need Blackmon back plus a vet free safety. We need both.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure the market will shift that much where all of a sudden he gets a ton of money. He might be smart to sign another prove it deal with the colts.

His best bet is indeed this. Remains to be seen if the Colts feel the same way.

• Like 1