Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Chloe, you still don't get it. Ballard does NOT value CB at that level. I really doubt he spends a top 15 pick on the position, especially since NONE of the top CBs in the draft cover his length requirements for the position. He might trade back to the end of the 1st or beginning of R2 and take like... Kool-Aid McKinstry or TJ Tampa or Ennis Rakestraw ... 

But you know what position he really values? He values the hell out of the trenches and especially defensive trenches... and there are players in that 15 range that fit the bill... Dallas Turner(if he falls to 15)... he's like almost carbon copy of the guy he tried to sign in FA - Danielle Hunter if you look at his measurements and testing, Jared Verse, Chop Robinson, Latu... he can easily fall in love with any of them IMO, 

Then he deserve to be fired when it fails. He said it was his fault that he didn’t give Bradley enough. We don’t even have room for another dline man. If the secondary can’t cover the dline can’t have success.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard will not go DE. Chances are the couple that are worth it will go before colts. We are loaded on the dline. If he does further evidence he doesn’t know what he is doing.

Workaholics What GIF by Crave

Chloe when Jared Verse’s name is called at 15.

47 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trying and failing is better than not trying at all. 

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Every year we hear he tried and failed.

This is one of your finest meltdowns yet, I must admit.  You're arguing just for the sake of arguing and talking out both sides of your mouth.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You going to keep saying this when we get to camp and no vets except maybe Blackmon are added. Colts only have 13 million in cap space after they deduct what they need for the draft.

Probably sitting around $15.8-$16.3m left($18.5-$19m currently) with draft picks included. Only rounds 1-3($5,591,110) count against the top 51 cap and (3) guys drop below the top 51($985kx3=$2.955m). Net result around $2.7m counting against top 51 for draft class.

Got $5.9m just sitting there by moving on from Mo and many easy(pain free on the future) ways to get more cap space if needed.

I told you above, I will join in the discourse of we don't go into camp without adding to the back end.

I would consider Blackmon as adding to the secondary. Just as I considered all our big re-signings, as adding to the team and being busy in FA. They were/are FA.  I don't know of an off-season we've signed 12 guys in first week of FA, whether our players or outside guys. 

1 minute ago, Jason_ said:

This is one of your finest meltdowns yet, I must admit.  You're arguing just for the sake of arguing and talking out both sides of your mouth.  

Trying and failing means you actual sign someone and take a risk not the excuse I tried to sign someone.

Just now, w87r said:

Probably sitting around $15.8-$16.3m left($18.5-$19m currently) with draft picks included. Only rounds 1-3($5,591,110) count against the top 51 cap and (3) guys drop below the top 51($985kx3=$2.955m). Net result around $2.7m counting against top 51 for draft class.

Got $5.9m just sitting there by moving on from Mo and many easy(pain free on the future) ways to get more cap space if needed.

I told you above, I will join in the discourse of we don't go into camp without adding to the back end.

I would consider Blackmon as adding to the secondary. Just as I considered all our big re-signings, as adding to the team and being busy in FA. They were/are FA.  I don't know of an off-season we've signed 12 guys in first week of FA, whether our players or outside guys. 

Still doesn’t solve the FS issue or the vet CB thst is needed. Basically Blackmon is running it back with the same guys. It needs to be added to.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen is my only hope we might go offense at 15.

Wow this was actually clever. You already gave yourself an excuse to not have to admit you were wrong in the case that ballard does go offense at 15.  If he does, it will be because Shane coerced him to.  You're on another level this time :thmup:

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s going to be hillarious when the WR or bowers we pass on are elite year one while colts have a struggling corner.

kanye west laughing GIF

7 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Would everyone be happy if he traded this years first and next years first to move up and get a elite wr.

I'll trade you Justin Jefferson for that. Will you take it?

9 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Would everyone be happy if he traded this years first and next years first to move up and get a elite wr.

I'm usually against it, but... if we can get Nabers or MHJ I think I would do it. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'll trade you Justin Jefferson for that. Will you take it?

I would... no idea if Ballard would, especially after signing Pittman to a big deal. I really don't see him paying 50-55M to 2 receivers... 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 11:07 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he is better than Minshew, why would he win 6 games with almost the same team?

He hasn't shown himself to be better than Minshew in the games yet so we will see.  He should be better as a top draft pick in  his second year, but we do not know.  

JJ would cost too much. I was thinking more along the lines to get one of the top two receivers in the draft. That would pretty much put us drafting all the rest as defense. For this defense to work I think our offense needs to be elite.

1 minute ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

JJ would cost too much. I was thinking more along the lines to get one of the top two receivers in the draft. That would pretty much put us drafting all the rest as defense. For this defense to work I think our offense needs to be elite.

I agree. I think Nabers is similar to JJ, but I think Bowers will be the most popular pick here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Still doesn’t solve the FS issue or the vet CB thst is needed. Basically Blackmon is running it back with the same guys. It needs to be added to.

Well, we will still be adding more outside of Blackmon, 2-4 more players. Tbh, I don't even want Blackmon back. If he comes back fine, but not something I'm pulling for.

I don't think Vet CB is a must, we do have Kenny Moore, he is most definitely a vet. 

Definitely need a vet S or two though.

I imagine we will sign a vet CB $5-9m or draft one in first 3 rounds.

Most likely circumstance is a rookie and lower paid vet$2-$3m, with outside experience.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well, we will still be adding more outside of Blackmon, 2-4 more players. Tbh, I don't even want Blackmon back. If he comes back fine, but not something I'm pulling for.

I don't think Vet CB is a must, we do have Kenny Moore, he is most definitely a vet. 

Definitely need a vet S or two though.

I imagine we will sign a vet CB $5-9m or draft one in first 3 rounds.

Most likely circumstance is a rookie and lower paid vet$2-$3m, with outside experience.

I would be okay with Witherspoon and Arnold.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stitches said:

If AR busts nothing else on the roster matters. If anything - you can argue, at least having solid pieces on the roster will make it easier for the next GM to trade some of them for draft capital and go for his choice of a QB.

And I still think you need to stack the weapons for young QB. This has been the case throughout the league. Every big time young QB in the league exploded when he got good weapons. Mahomes had Tyreek and Kelce. Hurts took the next step with Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. Burrow made strides with Chase and Higgings, Tua - Tyreek and Waddle... Etc. we don't have a single pass catching weapon as good as any of those. You need to be sure with your QB and you need to not give him or yourself any excuses - add weapons, protect him and let's see if he's good enough or not, rather than wondering in 2 years whether we did enough for him to succeed or not.

I can see that point of view, and I wouldn't mind it either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Wow this was actually clever. You already gave yourself an excuse to not have to admit you were wrong in the case that ballard does go offense at 15.  If he does, it will be because Shane coerced him to.  You're on another level this time :thmup:

Yeah… the same Shane that they thought were liars and thought weren’t good enough to be a head coach and now all of the sudden he’s going to be the savior? That Shane? 

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

Chloe, you still don't get it. Ballard does NOT value CB at that level. I really doubt he spends a top 15 pick on the position, especially since NONE of the top CBs in the draft cover his length requirements for the position. He might trade back to the end of the 1st or beginning of R2 and take like... Kool-Aid McKinstry or TJ Tampa or Ennis Rakestraw ... 

But you know what position he really values? He values the hell out of the trenches and especially defensive trenches... and there are players in that 15 range that fit the bill... Dallas Turner(if he falls to 15)... he's like almost carbon copy of the guy he tried to sign in FA - Danielle Hunter if you look at his measurements and testing, Jared Verse, Chop Robinson, Latu... he can easily fall in love with any of them IMO, 

Not gonna lie, I would take turner or latu if they’re there.  And then find a way to get another 2nd round pick and draft a CB and WR.

We ranked 30th in hurries, and only 2 lineman ranked in the top 20 of pass rush win rate, only 2 ranked in the top 20 of run win rate. Grover, Buck, and Samson were in those categories (with Samson ranking in the top 20 of both pass and run).  Kwitty is the only player who didn’t rank in either one.  If latu or turner are there, I’d say draft them.  And we’d still have the opportunity to grab a good corner and wide receiver in the second.  

I know, Ballard drafting ANOTHER defensive end.  But this is different.  Latu and Turner are both miles ahead of any DEs we’ve drafted.  Even kwitty who’s our highest pick DE had questions.  Screw it, if the draft plays out where one of those two are available, get them.

Sorry I'm so late.  I saw the Sneed news late last night and thought, "OMG, the forums are going to go nuts".  And I've not been disappointed.  Since the news dropped, we've gone from incredulous to calling for Ballard's head to questioning each other's right to post in the forums to completely disowning the organization....  The entire room has been set on fire more than once today.

As for me, I'm just remembering where we were last year.  After the complete collapse of the Plan.  The hiring and failure of Jeff Saturday.  The entire #@$% show.  It was embarrassing.  And since then, we hired a competent coach, played respectable ball, and have re-signed the major positive players from the resurgence.  I'm still feeling good about where we are, and what we are poised to do.  Sure, I wish we would be more aggressive and make a major expensive acquisition.  But we're trending up, not down.  I'm good with watching how this new Plan pans out.  Go Colts.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Cap "room" is really not the issue. Not only are the options you mention available , the Colts could also structure a contract with a large signing bonus , large 2nd or 3rd year roster bonuses and a small first year salary. Next year the cap will go up and we won't have any big cap casualties like we did this year with Shaq. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Sorry I'm so late.  I saw the Sneed news late last night and thought, "OMG, the forums are going to go nuts".  And I've not been disappointed.  Since the news dropped, we've gone from incredulous to calling for Ballard's head to questioning each other's right to post in the forums to completely disowning the organization....  The entire room has been set on fire more than once today.

As for me, I'm just remembering where we were last year.  After the complete collapse of the Plan.  The hiring and failure of Jeff Saturday.  The entire #@$% show.  It was embarrassing.  And since then, we hired a competent coach, played respectable ball, and have re-signed the major positive players from the resurgence.  I'm still feeling good about where we are, and what we are poised to do.  Sure, I wish we would be more aggressive and make a major expensive acquisition.  But we're trending up, not down.  I'm good with watching how this new Plan pans out.  Go Colts.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Not gonna lie, I would take turner or latu if they’re there.  And then find a way to get to 2nd round picks and draft a CB and WR.

We ranked 30th in hurries, and only 2 lineman ranked in the top of pass rush win rate, only 2 ranked in the top 20 of rush win rate. Grover, Buck, and Samson were in one or 2 of those categories (with Samson ranking in the top 20 of both pass and run).  Kwitty is the only player who didn’t rank in either one.  If latu or turner are there, I’d say draft them.  And we’d still have the opportunity to grab a good corner and wide receiver in the second.  

I know, Ballard drafting ANOTHER defensive end.  But this is different.  Latu and Turner are both miles ahead of any DEs we’ve drafted.  Even kwitty who’s our highest pick DE had questions.  Screw it, if the draft plays out where one of those two are available, get them.

Who you cutting if we add an edge. Adding more edge  won’t matter if secondary can’t cover.

From the Athletic, which gives the Titans an A for the trade: 

“This is a massive win for the Titans. They land an elite player at a premium position for a future third-round pick. Sneed, 27, is just entering his prime and should make an impact for several years — assuming they lock him down with a long-term contract, which should only be a matter of time.

“It’s also nice to take advantage of having quarterback Will Levis on his rookie contract. With Snead, wide receiver Calvin Ridley, running back Tony Pollard, linebacker Kenneth Murray and some offensive line additions, the Titans are working to accelerate their rebuild around a young quarterback.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t why people are mad. There were other options that would have been cheaper and a upgrade.

There are still cheaper options out there. I'm more concerned at S then CB. I have no issues having Juju be our top outside Corner. Also Jaylon Jones had a very good rookie season. 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah… the same Shane that they thought were liars and thought weren’t good enough to be a head coach and now all of the sudden he’s going to be the savior? That Shane? 

I uh....I actually don't know.  :scratch:

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There are still cheaper options out there. I'm more concerned at S then CB. I have no issues having Juju be our top outside Corner. Also Jaylen Jones had a very good rookie season. 

As long as they have good insurance for Brent’s I am fine. That’s why I don’t even need an elite CB.  Just one that can at least upgrade the depth instead of relying on what we have. Insurance is what I am mainly looking for. Flowers injured his Achilles in game two. So I doubt he is ready by Sept. if he is he won’t have his explosion back.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can see it now. Colts go edge at 15. End of season everyone whining  Ballard can’t draft edge because the real problem is the secondary.

Everyone?!  Lol.  Oh...oh no.  Not everyone. I can already tell you who will be whining during and after the draft.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Cap "room" is really not the issue. Not only are the options you mention available , the Colts could also structure a contract with a large signing bonus , large 2nd or 3rd year roster bonuses and a small first year salary. Next year the cap will go up and we won't have any big cap casualties like we did this year with Shaq. 

Yeah that's what I was referring to when I said plenty of easy pain free in the future.

Meaning those moves, Buckner, Smith, Kelly are rather pain free for future cap, there will be no need to attach void years or anything like that.

Could with Nelson, but those cap hits in '25 and '26 are brutal. He would be more of a straight restructure though instead of an extension.

• Like 1