Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buckner is still under contract through this season, that takes him through his prime. So, we have him in 2024 anyway. He turns 30 this week.  If he has a good season this year, Ballard may bring him back for 2 more seasons or so is my guess?

I agree with you. Personally, he is a player I am fine riding with until the wheels fall off or he hangs it up. My point was more or less, now that the dust has settled, we definitely “won” that trade.

We still have Buck playing at a high level. San Fran now has no Buckners, no Armsteads, and no Kinlaws. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I still don’t believe that Ballard will pay both Grove and DeFo into their 30s. But hope I am wrong.

DTs have been providing good value into their 30s. Hargrave and Cox come to mind most recent

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I agree with you. Personally, he is a player I am fine riding with until the wheels fall off or he hangs it up. My point was more or less, now that the dust has settled, we definitely “won” that trade.

We still have Buck playing at a high level. San Fran now has no Buckners, no Armsteads, and no Kinlaws. 

In a vacuum, yes.  But they have Bosa, a premier player in a position that's actually premier.  The other three can generally be replaced/churned fairly often.  SF will probably never let Bosa leave.

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

i like Howell

I do to.

Really thats a pretty nice compensation package for Washington.

What was Howell a 5th rounder?

Seems to be about late 3rd compensation back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dang 

Interesting that they were willing to trade Collins. Wonder if that signals they're about to make a move for one of the higher tier receivers in the draft.

Just now, KB said:

Interesting that they were willing to trade Collins. Wonder if that signals they're about to make a move for one of the higher tier receivers in the draft.

Pretty sure it was Maliek Collins 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I do do.

Really thats a pretty nice compensation package for Washington.

What was Howell a 5th rounder?

Seems to be about late 3rd compensation back.

Good trade for both teams. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Diggs is a little older at 31 but is still good. I could live with him playing Safety. He has made the Pro-Bowl 3 times I believe. 

If we can live with Gilmore we can live with Diggs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KB said:

I am shocked. They  probably figured they could replace him in draft but getting an elite dline player is harder to find.

• Like 1

If you haven't noticed, the big DTs and interior OGs are the ones getting moved and paid in the first week of free agency, big time.

From Chris Jones to Justin Madubuike, just look at this list of defensive tackles signed in a span of 3 days, guys. Ballard knew he had to get Stewart and Buckner in place. 

Former Raiders defensive tackle John Jenkins visited the Dolphins, per report.

The Texans are hosting former Bills defensive tackle Tim Settle Jr. for a visit on Thursday, per report.

To give you a glimpse (might have missed a few, this is what has happend just this week 1 of free agency), the league is shifting:

The Dolphins sign former Lions (and Dolphins) defensive tackle Benito Jones, per report.

The Lions sign former Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader to a two-year deal, per report.

The Browns add former Jets defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson to a 1-year deal, per report.

The Bengals sign a two-year, $26 million deal with former Texans defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, per report.

The 49ers re-sign defensive tackle Kevin Givens to a one-year deal, per report.

The Dolphins sign former Cowboys defensive tackle Neville Gallimore, per report.

The Patriots sign former Steelers defensive tackle Armon Watts, per report.

The Texans trade defensive tackle Maliek Collins to the 49ers for a seventh-round pick, per report.

The Chiefs re-sign former practice squad defensive tackle Mike Pennel and today, , per report.

The 49ers sign former Browns defensive tackle Jordan Elliott to a two-year, $10 million contract, per report.

The Panthers signed former Giants defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson to a three-year, $22.5 million deal, per report.

The Browns re-sign defensive tackle Shelby Harris, per report.

The Broncos hand former Saints defensive tackle Malcolm Roach a two-year deal worth up to $8 million, per report.

The Jets sign former Cardinals defensive tackle Leki Fotu, per report.

The Jets sign former 49ers defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw to a one-year deal, per report.

The Browns re-sign defensive tackle Maurice Hurst to a one-year deal worth up to $3.2 million, per report.

The Cardinals sign former Bears defensive tackle Justin Jones to a three-year . $30.1 million contract, per report.

The Buccaneers re-sign defensive tackle Greg Gaines to a one-year, $3.5 million contract, per report.

The Colts re-sign defensive tackle Grover Stewart to a three-year, $39 million contract, per report.

The Texans sign former Titans defensive tackle Denico Autry to a two-year, $10 million contract, per report.

Former Dolphins defensive tackle Christian Wilkins is going to the Raiders, per report.

The Commanders sign former Cowboys defensive tackle Dorance Armstrong, per report.

Former Jaguars defensive tackle Foley Fatukasi signs a one-year deal with Texans on a 1-year deal, per report.

The Texans have re-signed defensive tackle Khalil Davis, per report.

The Steelers sign free agent defensive tackle Breiden Fehoko, per report.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/guarding-the-bank-nfl-free-agency-sees-surge-in-big-money-contracts-for-interior-linemen/

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am shocked. They  probably figured they could replace him in draft but getting an elite dline player is harder to find.

Don't think it was Nico Collins, was Maliek Collins.

• Like 3

Just now, w87r said:

Looks like DJ Readers contract.came in higher than Grovers by a little .6m AAV.

He can definitely push the pocket better than Grover, I would have gone after him, IMO.

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That sounds like spin.  There is a good chance that those teams let their players go to specifically upgrade the position...Hunter for Grenard for example.  Is he saying that Grover, Franklin, and Moore were some of the best free agents at their positions?  I wouldn't know, but it I'll bet many here would not see that.  It might also mean it was simply a poor FA year.

Holder is on Twitter talking about how great this team has drafted to be keeping guys they drafted 6-7 year ago. It’s always spin. 

HOU swapped out Greenard (coming off his first great season) for an AP ER in Hunter. Also brought in Autry as well. Upgraded at LB and added some DB help. Can’t take anyone seriously who say they haven’t improved. 

Grover would have gotten a good deal from someone. And Moore too. But that’s a lame reason to re-sign a player. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't about the Jags, they lost Ridley, Ridley was their best WR they had last year. Trevor can't be happy about that. 

They have been in talks about Aiyuk. Let’s hope it just remains flirting 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you haven't noticed, the big DTs and interior OGs are the ones getting moved and paid in the first week of free agency, big time.

From Chris Jones to Justin Madubuike, just look at this list of defensive tackles signed in a span of 3 days, guys. Ballard knew he had to get Stewart and Buckner in place. 

Former Raiders defensive tackle John Jenkins visited the Dolphins, per report.

The Texans are hosting former Bills defensive tackle Tim Settle Jr. for a visit on Thursday, per report.

To give you a glimpse (might have missed a few, this is what has happend just this week 1 of free agency), the league is shifting:

The Dolphins sign former Lions (and Dolphins) defensive tackle Benito Jones, per report.

The Lions sign former Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader to a two-year deal, per report.

The Browns add former Jets defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson to a 1-year deal, per report.

The Bengals sign a two-year, $26 million deal with former Texans defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, per report.

The 49ers re-sign defensive tackle Kevin Givens to a one-year deal, per report.

The Dolphins sign former Cowboys defensive tackle Neville Gallimore, per report.

The Patriots sign former Steelers defensive tackle Armon Watts, per report.

The Texans trade defensive tackle Maliek Collins to the 49ers for a seventh-round pick, per report.

The Chiefs re-sign former practice squad defensive tackle Mike Pennel and today, , per report.

The 49ers sign former Browns defensive tackle Jordan Elliott to a two-year, $10 million contract, per report.

The Panthers signed former Giants defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson to a three-year, $22.5 million deal, per report.

The Browns re-sign defensive tackle Shelby Harris, per report.

The Broncos hand former Saints defensive tackle Malcolm Roach a two-year deal worth up to $8 million, per report.

The Jets sign former Cardinals defensive tackle Leki Fotu, per report.

The Jets sign former 49ers defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw to a one-year deal, per report.

The Browns re-sign defensive tackle Maurice Hurst to a one-year deal worth up to $3.2 million, per report.

The Cardinals sign former Bears defensive tackle Justin Jones to a three-year . $30.1 million contract, per report.

The Buccaneers re-sign defensive tackle Greg Gaines to a one-year, $3.5 million contract, per report.

The Colts re-sign defensive tackle Grover Stewart to a three-year, $39 million contract, per report.

The Texans sign former Titans defensive tackle Denico Autry to a two-year, $10 million contract, per report.

Former Dolphins defensive tackle Christian Wilkins is going to the Raiders, per report.

The Commanders sign former Cowboys defensive tackle Dorance Armstrong, per report.

Former Jaguars defensive tackle Foley Fatukasi signs a one-year deal with Texans on a 1-year deal, per report.

The Texans have re-signed defensive tackle Khalil Davis, per report.

The Steelers sign free agent defensive tackle Breiden Fehoko, per report.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/guarding-the-bank-nfl-free-agency-sees-surge-in-big-money-contracts-for-interior-linemen/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-tackle/all/

20 of the 51 available have been locked up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't about the Jags, they lost Ridley, Ridley was their best WR they had last year. Trevor can't be happy about that. 

I beg to differ. Ridley tailed off as the season went along. He just got some of Kirk's numbers from the previous year. They needed a field stretching guy and had too much of the same kind in Zay Jones, Christian Kirk and Evan Engram all doing underneath work with Ridley crowding it. That is why they got Gabe Davis. 

I wouldn't say they got worse. Besides, let us sweep the Jaguars once before we start talking. :) 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In a vacuum, yes.  But they have Bosa, a premier player in a position that's actually premier.  The other three can generally be replaced/churned fairly often.

The world we live in today, everyone in every industry is expendable. So I get your point. That said, there are certainly advantages to retaining top end talent through their prime. 

At the end of the day, Buck will likely end up going down as one of my favorite Colts. I just really like the guy. I enjoy having players who I like on the squad. It enhances the whole experience of being a fan. 

The older I get, the more I find myself caring less and less about the “advanced metrics” of life. Sometimes we forget that it all exists for our own enjoyment. Could we turn and churn entire rosters to keep the average age down and play moneyball every year, sure. For me, though, I like rooting for the individuals who we invest our emotions in just as much as the team as a whole. 

I appreciate efficiency and I appreciate effectiveness, whether it’s a company I work for or a team I cheer for. But I refuse to lose sight of what really matters. To me, that is enjoying life and stopping to appreciate the things that make it so great. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Have you seen my profile picture? I don’t know how to change anything on here these days. I’m lucky I still know how to login, although I couldn’t tell you my password anymore either. 

Ha. My phone is well past time for an upgrade and I am waiting as long as possible to make a change for precisely the password reason. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I beg to differ. Ridley tailed off as the season went along. He just got some of Kirk's numbers from the previous year. They needed a field stretching guy and had too much of the same kind in Zay Jones, Christian Kirk and Evan Engram all doing underneath work with Ridley crowding it. 

I wouldn't say they got worse. Besides, let us sweep the Jaguars once before we start talking. :) 

I was just responding to a poster saying the Jags got better, I don't see that either. Ridley had 76 catches last year, Kirk only 57. Ridley is better than Kirk anyway IMO. Engram had a big year but as you know he is a TE. 

so here's my question, if we were almost last in points allowed last season... and our defense is staying pretty much the same... and we have the same defensive coach.. what's gonna be the changing factor to take us from almost last to at least improved? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AKB said:

DTs have been providing good value into their 30s. Hargrave and Cox come to mind most recent

They do, but PHI had to let Hargrave walk last year. And now SF (who signed Hargrave) is letting Armstead walk.

It’s tough to pay $40M to your interior DL, let alone when they are 30+. But we will see…DeFo should retire a Colt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ha. My phone is well past time for an upgrade and I am waiting as long as possible to make a change for precisely the password reason. 

I just got a new phone, and it logged back in no problem. It’s saved somewhere, and that works for me lol. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

They do, but PHI had to let Hargrave walk last year. And now SF (who signed Hargrave) is letting Armstead walk.

It’s tough to pay $40M to your interior DL, let alone when they are 30+. But we will see…DeFo should retire a Colt.

Getting bang for the buck is important. D J Reader pushes the pocket a bit more than Grover. Sheldon Rankins pushes it a bit more than D J Reader, which is why the Bengals got him in lieu of D J Reader that they let go. For about the same money, I wish we got Reader over Grover. 

1 minute ago, AKB said:

so here's my question, if we were almost last in points allowed last season... and our defense is staying pretty much the same... and we have the same defensive coach.. what's gonna be the changing factor to take us from almost last to at least improved? 

You’re not to supposed to ask questions. Or at least wait until the end of the presentation. 

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Holder is on Twitter talking about how great this team has drafted to be keeping guys they drafted 6-7 year ago. It’s always spin. 

HOU swapped out Greenard (coming off his first great season) for an AP ER in Hunter. Also brought in Autry as well. Upgraded at LB and added some DB help. Can’t take anyone seriously who say they haven’t improved. 

Grover would have gotten a good deal from someone. And Moore too. But that’s a lame reason to re-sign a player. 

Another signing by Houston nobody is talking about is defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi. He was outstanding last year