Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deep class of FA safeties for Colts

One of the big names who was just released is Justin Simmons from Denver. Would love him to pair with Blackmon. Hopefully the Colts snag at least one of them and resigns Blackmon for a team friendly deal. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

One of the big names who was just released is Justin Simmons from Denver. Would love him to pair with Blackmon. Hopefully the Colts snag at least one of them and resigns Blackmon for a team friendly deal. 

Yeah this market blew up the past few days. I still hope we can get McKinney from the Giants. With more options his proce drop might of dropped a little bit.

Looks like 2024 is a year that many teams are paying a price for "kicking the can down the road." Even with the huge increase in the cap number , many teams are "forced" into trimming salary.  No doubt in my mind we will sign a good safety or a good corner and keep at least one of Blackmon or Moore. This will make Indy much more versatile in the April draft . As we speak , we have a need at WR (or Bowens) , CB and Safety . Eliminating at least one of these in free agency is big , especially considering this draft is said to be very strong in rounds 1 -3 and weak there after. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I was just gonna bring this up, with a good amount of Safeties being released and diluting the FA market, I wonder if it decreases the overall asking price.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I was just gonna bring this up, with a good amount of Safeties being released and diluting the FA market, I wonder if it decreases the overall asking price.

For sure .

One would have to think that Ballard will be strongly interested in one of these free safeties given the issues we had in the position last season. Especially considering that opening TD the Texans scored in that pivotal game at the end of the season. It’s such an important position in Bradley C-3 defense.

I think the NFL is getting to the same point with safeties that they are with RBs. I saw in IG where they said collectively, NFL teams have shed $103 million dollars of safety money. It’s astonishing really. I believe you’ll see parity in the draft, as I don’t see a safety going in the first round this year. This is good news for the Colts who desperately need veteran safety help, but bad news for a guy like Blackmon who will most likely not be getting a huge contract. And the Colts who may have had interest in bringing him back, will almost certainly be looking to upgrade over him with some great players hitting the market.

If I’m Ballard, I’m signing McKinney and Adams.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think the NFL is getting to the same point with safeties that they are with RBs. I saw in IG where they said collectively, NFL teams have shed $103 million dollars of safety money. It’s astonishing really. I believe you’ll see parity in the draft, as I don’t see a safety going in the first round this year. This is good news for the Colts who desperately need veteran safety help, but bad news for a guy like Blackmon who will most likely not be getting a huge contract. And the Colts who may have had interest in bringing him back, will almost certainly be looking to upgrade over him with some great players hitting the market.

If I’m Ballard, I’m signing McKinney and Adams.

Sorry….   McKinney I know,  but Adams?    

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jamal Adams was released by the Seahawks.

Adams is nowhere near what he used to be. He's at the bottom of my FA safety list. I think Simmons, Mckinney, Chinn, Jenkins, Poyer, Whitehead, Stone, and Savage are all better options than Adams at this point.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jamal Adams was released by the Seahawks.

Adams is a malcontent and locker room cancer.  The saturation of the safety market should allow the Colts to bring back Blackmon on a relatively cheap deal while signing a FS too. The contracts of guys like Simmons and McKinney should be a bit cheaper. If the Colts want to pursue a CB like Fuller or Snead there are even cheaper FS’s like Gilman, Diggs, and Gardner-Johnson.  Gilman had a very good year for the Chargers.