Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Wild Card Weekend Games Thread

Happy2BeHere

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Well the dolphins and the browns let me down…more the dolphins though as I expected them to

be competitive but nope their offense forgot to

show up.

here’s to hoping tomorrows games come with the outcomes I want!

Resting your starters has never been a good idea. I think getting blown out in a playoff game after resting your starters should be a fireable offense for coaches.  

1 hour ago, ArmchairQB said:

Cowboys and Lions.  Growing up in Chicago colors my biases but I believe the Cowboys are the better team clearly. Green Bay’s defense is trash 

I agree but will still be pulling for the Packers over the Cowboys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Is that Jerry Rice's son? He was recognized on the PFF All Rookie Team over Jordan Addison who I thought had a great rookie year.

Brenden Rice (WR for USC Trojans) has declared for upcoming draft, I read headlines recently.

Apart from him and Marvin Harrison Jr, I forgot the other HOF's son who has declared for the draft. (It's stated in this thread somewhere)

I think Rashee Rice isn't related to Jerry. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Brenden Rice (WR for USC Trojans) has declared for upcoming draft, I read headlines recently.

Apart from him and Marvin Harrison Jr, I forgot the other HOF's son who has declared for the draft. (It's stated in this thread somewhere)

Frank Gore's son

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Oh, the other one is Frank Gore Jr 

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Stroud is so good. Haha being a Panthers fan must be the absolute worst right now, I feel for them. Young looks like a huge bust. Stroud looks like an absolute all star. What would have been the 1st overall pick for them belongs to the Bears in a draft class with two prospects touted as a couple of the best since Joe Burrow. To top it off you have an owner who is seemingly an complete *.

I feel for the Panthers fans, not because of their QB but because of their owner. The guy is a loose cannon who does not appreciate the value of continuity. A team cannot win with constant turnover at the most important positions of leadership: GM, Head Coach, and QB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

1st TD Gore Jr scores would be his family's 100th TD in the NFL, as Gore Sr retired on 99 scrimmage TDs. :)

Is Gore Jr a RB too?

Who are you rooting for today? I am rooting for the Lions. I want the Lions to win and I want the Rams to lose. (I would want any team to beat the Rams.) So, go Lions!

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Gore Jr a RB too?

Who are you rooting for today? I am rooting for the Lions. I want the Lions to win and I want the Rams to lose. (I would want any team to beat the Rams.) So, go Lions!

oh I'm wrong, Frank Gore Sr picked up a fumble and scored another TD to add to the tally of 99 scrimmage TDs.

But, that's only regular season records. He's had 5 more TDs in Playoffs. So, 105 in all. 

He got to play in post season only 4 times in 16 years though. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Gore Jr a RB too?

Yes, he's RB from Southern Mississippi. He's had 800+ scrimmage yards in each of 4 years, last two being 1000+ rushing yards seasons so that may help in the draft. He doesn't seem to be a big talent at being receiver but rushing stats look good. Maybe, a late round pickup for some team, I hope he defies the odds to do well in the NFL.

He's forgone senior season to enter NFL. He's marked twice as freshman, in '20 & '21 (probably because of COVID?), so he's had 4 years anyway before entering NFL Draft. 

I've soft spot for Rams because of Stafford, Nacua, Kyren Williams and then there's Cooper Kupp and AD. They may surprise Lions, if Lions pass defense is poor, they may get torched as Rams went on foot for foot in a shootout with Ravens. I think Rams have it to challenge and beat the Lions. Lions are a bit inconsistent against good teams, so not sure if I'm confident on them winning.

I'd be happy with any of them emerging as winner though, they both would deserve to move up. 

I'll root for Bills, Bucs and Cowboys. 

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I feel for the Panthers fans, not because of their QB but because of their owner. The guy is a loose cannon who does not appreciate the value of continuity. A team cannot win with constant turnover at the most important positions of leadership: GM, Head Coach, and QB. 

Panthers had a great defense and DJ Moore. Now, they may have got a QB, but no one else to help him other than Theilen. They have just botched the whole team, they now need capable hands to mould the roster to contend even within their worst division.  At least, they have got a great DT & DE, and few other pieces. Just need a proper rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, he's RB from Southern Mississippi. He's had 800+ scrimmage yards in each of 4 years, last two being 1000+ rushing yards seasons so that may help in the draft. He doesn't seem to be a big talent at being receiver but rushing stats look good. Maybe, a late round pickup for some team, I hope he defies the odds to do well in the NFL.

He's forgone senior season to enter NFL. He's marked twice as freshman, in '20 & '21 (probably because of COVID?), so he's had 4 years anyway before entering NFL Draft. 

I've soft spot for Rams because of Stafford, Nacua, Kyren Williams and then there's Cooper Kupp and AD. They may surprise Lions, if Lions pass defense is poor, they may get torched as Rams went on foot for foot in a shootout with Ravens. I think Rams have it to challenge and beat the Lions. Lions are a bit inconsistent against good teams, so not sure if I'm confident on them winning.

I'd be happy with any of them emerging as winner though, they both would deserve to move up. 

I'll root for Bills, Bucs and Cowboys. 

I don't like the Rams owner. This team is more likeable than the one that one the Super Bowl. They have young players that they drafted, which I like. But I will be very disappointed if the Lions don't win.

I like the Packers more than the Cowboys but I expect the Cowboys to win.

I don't mind the Bills or Steelers, but I will root for the Bills.

I am rooting for the Bucs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I negate that by muting the game and having Taylor Swift songs run on my phone, so the broadcast looks like Taylor Swift album with some football highlights. :)

That's about the jist of it

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Panthers had a great defense and DJ Moore. Now, they may have got a QB, but no one else to help him other than Theilen. They have just botched the whole team, they now need capable hands to mould the roster to contend even within their worst division.  At least, they have got a great DT & DE, and few other pieces. Just need a proper rebuild. 

Does the owner have it in him to allow a rebuild? The guy seems to want instant gratification. Panicking (firing coaches mid season, changing GMs nearly every year, giving up draft capital to move up in the draft, etc.) does not work. It may work in corporate America and at hedge funds but not in NFL football. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Does the owner have it in him to allow a rebuild? The guy seems to want instant gratification. Panicking (firing coaches mid season, changing GMs nearly every year, giving up draft capital to move up in the draft, etc.) does not work. It may work in corporate America and at hedge funds but not in NFL football. 

Yes, he couldn't even control his anger against a Jaguars fan while throwing drinks at him. Their stadium doesn't have a suite for even their owner with glass windows to stay separate in a room? 

Anyway, it's gonna be interesting to watch what unfolds there. I've had friends and relatives work in North Carolina, and people have been very welcoming to foreigners even in their family gathering and such. Much different than tri state area where it's all about business, even not always respectful in business. 

• Like 1

If the Cowboys win, we'll be hearing about them all week. Even if they lose, we'll probably hear about how they choke in the playoffs.  Expect to see camera shots of Jerry Jones at the game. 

Sam LaPorta is questionable, but there is a chance he will play. The Lions have other weapons, but having him on the field would be an extra help.  I don't think Matthew Stafford is out for revenge. He doesn't seem that type, he just wants to play well for his team. 

58 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Lions are a bit inconsistent against good teams, so not sure if I'm confident on them winning.

If Sam LaPorta does not play, that may hurt the Lions' chances. Goff has good chemistry with LaPorta like Mahomes has with Kelce. I hope he plays.

Did you know that the Lions have won only one playoff game in over 50 years? (Actually, since 1957!!!)

• Like 2

The media has lost even more credibility recently. I saw several headlines (didn't read the articles) about how Taylor Swift braved frigid temperatures to attend the KC game. I'm sure she was freezing in her heated suite, and the walk from her limo to the stadium must have been rough. 🙄

Do they actually think people buy this nonsense? Maybe some actually think she's so brave. It's because of these articles that I couldn't care less about Swift. 

Vent over. Just had to post on the stupidity of the media. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

If Sam LaPorta does not play, that may hurt the Lions' chances. Goff has good chemistry with LaPorta like Mahomes has with Kelce. I hope he plays.

Did you know that the Lions have won only one playoff game in over 50 years? (Actually, since 1957!!!)

Surprising, as I had not looked much into their history.

In fact, they've never won in wild card round, in any era. Last time was divisional round. They've not won in conference championship as well.

Pre-SB era, they were 4-1 in championship games. So, older Lions fans who passed away just after 1957, would've gone with 80% championship winning record. They'd have never believed a single play-off game victory would become so rare in future for the Lions! 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I whist saw he is going to try and play high a brace on his knee.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Last playoff win the Lions have had was in 1991 vs the Cowboys. Barry ran wild in that game. That crowd is going to be a mad house. Go Lions!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

But, that doesn't change the fact that Ballard didn't get so impressed with Stroud in their evaluations and didn't want to move up from #4 to #1 (which is a relatively comfortable jump rather than from #9). 

You want your GM to be able to spot a great QB with all their off-season time,  material, resources the franchises have in hand.

We can say Ballard was impressed with AR much, and he stayed put but AR will have to do well and stay healthy.

Ïf AR isn't the franchise QB he seems to be developing into in limited time this year, and Ballard needs to find QB in draft again, he may probably bypass another Stroud in front of his eyes for the fear of moving up and losing draft capital for unsure reward.

That's how GMs are evaluated. You've all the information, tape at your disposal, you can bring the QB in your practice facility to evaluate up close. And, if you still don't like the QB or missed out for the fear of trading up in draft, it's a Miss for the GM's books.

Ballard can redeem himself only if AR holds down the franchise QB spot for Colts and wins some playoff game. 

ballard must have wanted a running qb like lamar. ar was close to that . stroud is more of a pocket passer like brady and peyton. could it be that ballard thinks running qbs do better in todays nfl or that its too hard to get an o-line to protect a pocket passer or could it be that ballard was afraid of being wrong so he just took what fell to us? anyway who knows ar may turn out to be as good as lamar and ballard will look good. keep in mind texans have to keep an elite o-line to protect stroud. but right now stroud looks like he is going to be like brady and peyton, elite!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hope they don't ruin LaPorta's career for a play-off win! Elite TEs are so rare, that we happen to come across in a draft only few times in a decade. Or less. 

After the loss to Lions in '91 play-off game, Troy Aikman told media that Lions don't have the team to beat Washington, and if Washington takes the lead early, it's game over. Washington win 41-10 or so.

Little did he know that he prophesied the Lions play-off woes for next 3 decades! 

• Like 1