Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's worse

We lost to Houston Jacksonville loses,we got cheated in the Cleveland game and didn't split with Jacksonville We lost AR JT missed a lot of games O line injuries and cornerbacks out. The season was lost but we are in need of improvement The draft can give us a few starters We must get a few free agents or a great one The future looks good . Glad to have Shane

• Like 1

The Atlanta game was the worst.  If you're a playoff team, you have to beat that team.  They didn't even show up.  They were bullied for four quarters.

Surprisingly, I don't think Ballard was asked about or mentioned that game.  The Atlanta game was a worse failure than the Raiders game from 2021.  I would love to hear what Shane thought happened that day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

The Atlanta game was the worst.  If you're a playoff team, you have to beat that team.  They didn't even show up.  They were bullied for four quarters.

Surprisingly, I don't think Ballard was asked about or mentioned that game.  The Atlanta game was a worse failure than the Raiders game from 2021.  I would love to hear what Shane thought happened that day.

The players were all watching for Santa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ernest Brunelli said:

We lost to Houston Jacksonville loses,we got cheated in the Cleveland game and didn't split with Jacksonville We lost AR JT missed a lot of games O line injuries and cornerbacks out. The season was lost but we are in need of improvement The draft can give us a few starters We must get a few free agents or a great one The future looks good . Glad to have Shane

Welcome to the boards, Ernest!

On 1/12/2024 at 3:32 PM, #12. said:

The Atlanta game was a worse failure than the Raiders game from 2021

respectfully disagree. 

we had a much more expensive qb under center and a roster full of pro-bowlers, playing at home in a play-in game similar to the Houston game. We were up in that game. We had everything in front of us and let it go. Not even a comparison in my mind. 

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Don't let," if only we did this", get to you. We had a pretty decent year considering. Besides we were not going anywhere even if we made the playoffs this year.   

we could beat this Browns team… 

• Like 1

I’ll say it again, losing AR was the worst thing that happened.   Worse than any loss.  

On a different note, I was watching this video and it reminded me of how good Ogletree was looking.  What’s the latest on him?  Is he still a Colt?

• Like 1

you know what is worst? NFL starting to limit viewership by making huge money on streaming apps. Im for anybody making money on their investments. I have been telling my wife that the NFL is heading to pay per view ie. 39.95 for a single game.

I had the Sunday ticket for 16 years. I figured paying 300 plus dollars a year was a lot cheaper than watching at a bar and spending 50-100 dollars on barfood and drink. We got to see Peyton and the crew for many years except when they played Jacksonville who could not sell out. Being in the Jacksonville area, the games were blacked out.

Now the package cost around 400-500 dollars. If your team is successful, Monday,Thursday and Saturday games will not be on the expensive package. To add to all of this, Youtube has to be streamed. With streaming comes annoying buffering and technical problems. In sixteen years with satellite coverage, We never missed a moment, even during September,October and November hurricanes. The designation of the first playoff game to be streaming only was chosen to be the Kansas City game by design to show how many people will watch so they can push for more of the same thing. With the onboarding of the "swifty's to see their God child one more time, there will be undoubtably a surge in viewership.

Soory for the long rant. There was a time a working man could look forward to a game Monday nite, have a few cheap beers

and not have a cable bill, a streaming bill or send more money to Bezos to line his pockets while he gives out 10 dollar Amazon gift cards to his employees for Christmas bonuses. 

We got to see one Colts game this year with the Texans. I guess this will be the new norm here on out. My brother has a large farm outside Indy. Maybe we will catch some live games next year if he doesn't put us to work first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

you know what is worst? NFL starting to limit viewership by making huge money on streaming apps. Im for anybody making money on their investments. I have been telling my wife that the NFL is heading to pay per view ie. 39.95 for a single game.

I had the Sunday ticket for 16 years. I figured paying 300 plus dollars a year was a lot cheaper than watching at a bar and spending 50-100 dollars on barfood and drink. We got to see Peyton and the crew for many years except when they played Jacksonville who could not sell out. Being in the Jacksonville area, the games were blacked out.

Now the package cost around 400-500 dollars. If your team is successful, Monday,Thursday and Saturday games will not be on the expensive package. To add to all of this, Youtube has to be streamed. With streaming comes annoying buffering and technical problems. In sixteen years with satellite coverage, We never missed a moment, even during September,October and November hurricanes. The designation of the first playoff game to be streaming only was chosen to be the Kansas City game by design to show how many people will watch so they can push for more of the same thing. With the onboarding of the "swifty's to see their God child one more time, there will be undoubtably a surge in viewership.

Soory for the long rant. There was a time a working man could look forward to a game Monday nite, have a few cheap beers

and not have a cable bill, a streaming bill or send more money to Bezos to line his pockets while he gives out 10 dollar Amazon gift cards to his employees for Christmas bonuses. 

We got to see one Colts game this year with the Texans. I guess this will be the new norm here on out. My brother has a large farm outside Indy. Maybe we will catch some live games next year if he doesn't put us to work first.

There are streaming services that are legal.   I wont mention any names due to the rules,   But when/if you search for them check to see if they have a broadcast license.   

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’ll say it again, losing AR was the worst thing that happened.   Worse than any loss.  

On a different note, I was watching this video and it reminded me of how good Ogletree was looking.  What’s the latest on him?  Is he still a Colt?

I believe Ballard just said he’s on the Commissioner’s Exempt List and they’re waiting for the legal stuff to play out before they make any decisions, and that he wouldn’t talk about it further. 

• Thanks 1

I concur with  "I miss Peyton18", going to streaming is limiting viewership right now, I did not watch the Chief game Saturday night since it was on peacock. I'm all for businessmen trying to make as much money as possible, after all that is why you are a businessman, to make money. What is disturbing to me is the nfl thinks the best way to maximize profits is to get the iconic, legendary, franchises with "rich traditions" into the playoffs year after year. And it seems to magically happen way to often. This year for example, the 3rd worse roster in the league(steelers) lose to the cardinals, pats, then get dominated by us, they totally suck, then they magically win 3 in a row while we lose to the falcons and the jags lose to the titans and the steelers get inWOW!!! In the nfc the packers suddenly get "hot" and squeeze into the playoffs while the saints miss out. It's bizarre to say the least. The NBA and MLB are the same, the traditional, iconic franchises always seem to have the best players(according to the media), and find their way into the playoffs, year after year. "Insignificant" teams just always seem to give their players away to the "iconic" franchises.

8 hours ago, DattMavis said:

I believe Ballard just said he’s on the Commissioner’s Exempt List and they’re waiting for the legal stuff to play out before they make any decisions, and that he wouldn’t talk about it further. 

I hope it works out.  He and Woods showed so much promise.  But, as they say, availability…

On 1/12/2024 at 4:08 PM, Smonroe said:

Losing AR.  Hands down.  Not even close.

Hard to argue this about AR. As far as games go, that is tough because you can look at it in a lot of different ways. Browns game - we got cheated. Jags game at home to open, we win that, we set the tone in the division from day 1. Texans game at the end, we had them and just had to make 1 play, we lost so eliminated. 

Continuing the STATUS QUO and being late to the party as other teams make aggressive moves to climb the ladder. If you truly have SB aspirations how do you simply accept mediocrity or below avg results over an extended period of time? Chris Ballard represents that mentality to a tee. Change is slow to come by whether it be old school team build philosophy or by sticking with lackluster type coaches who cannot ELAVATE the solid type (but not top tier) talent that's been assembled.

As refreshing as this past season was with the UNEXPECTED run that exceeded all expectations with a rookie hc and a backup qb for most of the season that ended with a chance showed me that the future is bright with the Steichen hire as well as the flashes shown from the rookie qb in AR before injury. Now with that being said Gus Bradley is not good enough as dc. Historical collapses last season as qbs carved the defense apart with tds and that was with a better secondary that featured Gilmore and Rogers at corner with Moore in the slot. 

Yes the defense set a team sack record but most came against a lot of inept offenses that featured either backup or subpar qbs. None were game changing because the defense on a regular would turn right around and give up huge yards on the very next play as teams attacked the soft zone manned by young corners whose talent level is still yet to be determined due to multiple injuries. 

Which brings me back to Ballard. This team is solid but not dynamic. His draft classes need to be more on the exceptional side to amass talent especially if he chooses to shy away from top tier players through FA with Buckner being the exception. Constantly trading down to garner more picks in the later rds to draft those mostly solid type players with high RAS scores instead of staying pat or moving up to snag some explosive types at the premium positions. Going on eight years with a sub .500 record is not good enough for ANY gm trying to build a championship roster in today's aggressive league but it is good enough to maintain the Colts current status quo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Continuing the STATUS QUO and being late to the party as other teams make aggressive moves to climb the ladder. If you truly have SB aspirations how do you simply accept mediocrity or below avg results over an extended period of time? Chris Ballard represents that mentality to a tee. Change is slow to come by whether it be old school team build philosophy or by sticking with lackluster type coaches who cannot ELAVATE the solid type (but not top tier) talent that's been assembled.

As refreshing as this past season was with the UNEXPECTED run that exceeded all expectations with a rookie hc and a backup qb for most of the season that ended with a chance showed me that the future is bright with the Steichen hire as well as the flashes shown from the rookie qb in AR before injury. Now with that being said Gus Bradley is not good enough as dc. Historical collapses last season as qbs carved the defense apart with tds and that was with a better secondary that featured Gilmore and Rogers at corner with Moore in the slot. 

Yes the defense set a team sack record but most came against a lot of inept offenses that featured either backup or subpar qbs. None were game changing because the defense on a regular would turn right around and give up huge yards on the very next play as teams attacked the soft zone manned by young corners whose talent level is still yet to be determined due to multiple injuries. 

Which brings me back to Ballard. This team is solid but not dynamic. His draft classes need to be more on the exceptional side to amass talent especially if he chooses to shy away from top tier players through FA with Buckner being the exception. Constantly trading down to garner more picks in the later rds to draft those mostly solid type players with high RAS scores instead of staying pat or moving up to snag some explosive types at the premium positions. Going on eight years with a sub .500 record is not good enough for ANY gm trying to build a championship roster in today's aggressive league but it is good enough to maintain the Colts current status quo.

I'd say next year is Ballards make or break year. He knows this and still chooses to keep Gus. He has made his bed.

I've been a supporter of Ballard through some tough time. Debated with alot of people on here. I still say he has done well enough building the roster. It was absolutely terrible, head to toe, when he got here. We had Luck, Costanzo, TY, and Kelly. That's really about it. He has gotten the roster to solid (I agree with that term) and it's not been an easy feat.

Saying that, this is the time to be aggressive. We don't need a plethora of picks now because we have to depth we didn't have. If he stands by and waits for 15, then we won't have any better of an offense. Just have some new pieces that need work over the next couple seasons. The WRs outside of the top three (MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze) will be our #4 receiver if chosen. 

He is also going to have to swing for the fences in FA. Top tier talent needed all along the defense. Throw some money at them to get them here.

As I've said, I'm a Ballard fan and i like what he has done when looking at context. If we don't end up in the divisional round next year, it's time to move on. With Gus remaining here I have my doubts.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 2:41 PM, Ernest Brunelli said:

We beat the following playoff teams....

Texans

Ravens

Bucs

Steelers

Browns* (loss-referees decision)

Most of the forum "experts" said we'd win 3 or 4 games total

• Like 1