Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballards press conference 12:30 Jan 11th

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you guys feel this way. I thought it was more Ballard didn’t want to throw Minshew under the bus.

I definitely felt this way too.  I think he’s going to try and add another explosive playmaker for AR. 

• Like 1

Here's how I took  Ballard's comments.  In the draft he feels they can add explosive players to the offense.  Considering the way he gushed about Jones and Brents, I don't see a CB taken in Rd. 1.  I expect a WR.  If Bowers is there that may change things though.  I think Ballard feels the jury is still out on Pierce.

Ballard was unhappy with the Free Safety play.  He's not going to crush guys, but it was apparent that  he was unhappy with the play there.  Considering he likes the young corners, I would look for a veteran FS to bring some leadership to the DB room.

Like many of us, Ballard was unhappy with the tackling on defense.  

I would expect Sanchez back at punter.  I could have gone either way there.  Pittman will be back.  His comment about the price of gas was basically saying the WR market is what it is and we all need WR's.   I didn't take that as adding a second WR from free-agency. 

He said he wanted Grover back.  I think the priority will be 1. Pitt 2. Grover 3. Blackmon 4. Moore in that order.   He said Moore played better in 2023 than 2022 and wouldn't say that Gus just used him better.  

• Like 1

The biggest takeaway I got from the presser is that Gus Bradley is under contract next season and that Ballard pretty much outright said he’ll be back next season. I think that closes that discussion.

He seemed deeply unhappy with the explosive plays on defense given up, and by extension the Free Safety play. Cross is an SS and Thomas is a late round pick that just isn’t good. I expect an acquisition here as a priority this spring. He also said that some of the issues defensively were on him with regards to personnel.

3 hours ago, EasyE said:

I understand their points not asking stuff all the time that doesn't get answered cause they have jobs that they want to keep.

“Cause they have jobs they want to keep.”

I don’t think any reporter is worried about losing their job.   If Doyel hasn’t lost his job, neither is anyone else.   

But you want to maintain a good working relationship with the GM.   As I’ve written many times, it’s not easy to ask hard questions that might annoy Ballard,  when you’ll need to ask him for an exclusive one-on-one during the course of the season.   It can be done, but it takes some skill to do it.   Easier said than done. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….    I read some comments of yours that left me confused.   Hence the emoji.  

If you’re curious, pick the ones you want and ask me.   I’ll try to explain. 

it would take days to go through the posts on this forum you leave that reaction to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it would take days to go through the posts on this forum you leave that reaction to. 

Sorry…. Not trying to give you a hard time.   I was up extra early for the AR presser and stayed awake through the Ballard presser.  After that, and doing a few other things I needed a long nap.   

When I woke up I looked through the Ballard presser thread to see all the reaction.   Some of yours jumped out at me.    

You're a tremendous poster.  One of my favorites, so when we see things differently that really catches my attention.  If you like, please consider it a compliment, because that’s how it’s intended.  

If you want me to go back and go through your posts so I can find my confused reactions, I will.  But that might take quite some time.    Just let me know. 

From what I read into the presser, and wanting to get more explosive and consistent I suspect they'll be looking to add players to: FS, WR, and CB. Now if they will come from free agency or the draft who knows.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you guys feel this way. I thought it was more Ballard didn’t want to throw Minshew under the bus.

I think Pierce's days at WR2 are probably over, because I think they'll upgrade the WR room. But I don't think that's because they don't like Pierce. I think everything Ballard said in response to that question about Pierce was an acknowledgment that a) they didn't do a good job of getting him involved, b) Pierce won't complain about it, and c) Pierce can still get better. If anything, it was a statement that could be read as critical of the offense in general, or of the QB.

I get why people are inferring that Ballard will be more aggressive in free agency. I think that's reasonable. I'm not sure what Ballard said that makes people think he signaled more aggressiveness in adding a WR specifically. I guess maybe because he said we need to be more explosive on offense? That could be accomplished by having Richardson all year. Or by adding a playmaking TE, even getting Woods back and healthy.

Kinda feels like people heard what they wanted to hear there. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

From what I read into the presser, and wanting to get more explosive and consistent I suspect they'll be looking to add players to: FS, WR, and CB. Now if they will come from free agency or the draft who knows.

I think FS and WR are high up in priority.  I think a great addition at FS would be FA Xavier McKinney from the Giants.  Great coverage guy and a sure tackler. Only 24.  Now that they will be having a new DC we might have a chance and he might want to go to a contender.  

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Pierce's days at WR2 are probably over, because I think they'll upgrade the WR room. But I don't think that's because they don't like Pierce. I think everything Ballard said in response to that question about Pierce was an acknowledgment that a) they didn't do a good job of getting him involved, b) Pierce won't complain about it, and c) Pierce can still get better. If anything, it was a statement that could be read as critical of the offense in general, or of the QB.

I get why people are inferring that Ballard will be more aggressive in free agency. I think that's reasonable. I'm not sure what Ballard said that makes people think he signaled more aggressiveness in adding a WR specifically. I guess maybe because he said we need to be more explosive on offense? That could be accomplished by having Richardson all year. Or by adding a playmaking TE, even getting Woods back and healthy.

I’m hearing WR.    When I hear him say explosive, TE is not the first position I think of.   Lol.  Interesting enough he used the word “Eraser” when describing the need at the FS position.  Bob Sanders nickname.   I think that’s going to be another targeted position.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel Ballard's charisma is his greatest asset; it gives him a huge leash with not only the media but the fans. Not to say he has little to no merit as a GM — he definitely does —  but I have never seen a GM liked and praised so much after accomplishing just so little.

This year my interest in the Colts was quite low compared to the last five seasons (even compared to last season, which was entertaining with all of the twists and turns, despite losing.) I actually forgot about watching the Raiders game; I have never just not at least turned a Colts game on. But hearing this guy talk about the Colts at the end of each season kind of makes me feel like everything is all good about the team and reels me back in no matter how I felt during the season. 

Charisma is such a super power. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EasyE said:

I agree  💯. But I also disagree. We are not going to win a SB with a backup QB that plays the whole season. Plus we are not going to win a SB with a old school mentality coach. (Frank) I love the guy for sure. I loved Pagano but his coaching is past due. JMO on it much respect on all the Colts coaches including Saturday. Saturday was thrown in there. Not by his fault, who wouldn't take the job for millions of dollars??? Lmao 

Nick Foles says hello.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah saying he had more flexibility but never mentioned going after a WR. At least in FA.  Because draft and FA give them an opportunity to add explosiveness. Never mentions what position.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah saying he had more flexibility but never mentioned going after a WR. At least in FA.  Because draft and FA give them an opportunity to add explosiveness. Never mentions what position.

Part of this is he doesn’t know for sure what’s going to an available on the open market either.  It does him no good to say man I’d really like to add a big time free agent WR if no big time free agent WRs end up available.  

What he pretty much said there is he has the flexibility to go get someone if he likes them (and that could be at any position).  Flexibility also means he’s not going to force it if it’s not there just because they can.  

I am sure there will be players available the Colts like so I do expect signings but I still don’t expect the big eye popping contract guys to be who he targets (outside of Pittman which is on of his own).  I’d expect like Samson who fans don’t think much of at the time but end up being really good players.  When you look at Ballard’s free agent signings he’s been exceptional at finding guys just about to break out.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you want me to go back and go through your posts so I can find my confused reactions, I will.  But that might take quite some time.    Just let me know. 

It doesn't make a difference to me if I have to clarify any comments. Most people on here generally just quote the spot they are confused about and ask for clarification. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I agree with your assessment... I'm not sure on Pierce because he kind of gave conflicting statements. 

On one hand he made a clear distinction between explosive players being on offense, and wanting to add players on defense that "limit the explosiveness on offense." He's not referring to replacing JT on offense, I know that, so i don't think he's referring to the runninback position... So he's either referring to receiver or tightend. I think we all think he's likely referring to receiver, but maybe that's his way of hiding that they really like a Brock Bowers and that's who they are targeting. 

On the other hand, he also said that Pierce is, by definition, an explosive player as his strength is downfield/stretching the field. He specifically said they need to be better about giving him opportunities, and we can all agree that there were plenty of missed opportunities for Pierce, and not due to anything he did... So I'm conflicted on if they think Pierce isn't good enough. I think another year probably should dictate that. Pierce could have one hell of an offseason and be legit next year with AR throwing to him. I also don't say that to imply we shouldn't add explosive players to the receiving core, because that should be a priority. Adding a stud at receiver doesn't necessarily bumped Pierce down because of the thought I just shared. 

• Like 2

@Superman When you mention a playmaking TE as something Ballard could target as making the offense more explosive, are there any that come to mind for you specifically? Obviously there is Bowers, who I personally would take over any WR there other than Harrison Jr or Nabers (yep I'd take him over Odunze). 

3 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

@Superman When you mention a playmaking TE as something Ballard could target as making the offense more explosive, are there any that come to mind for you specifically? Obviously there is Bowers, who I personally would take over any WR there other than Harrison Jr or Nabers (yep I'd take him over Odunze). 

Here’s the thing, we barely used our TEs to do anything but block. Why would we suddenly go that route 

1 minute ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Current projections I have seen have Bowers top 10. 

Sanders from Texas as mid 2nd (maybe right in our area)

and guys like Cade Stewart (Ohio State) and Dallin Holker (NDS) in the 4th

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing, we barely used our TEs to do anything but block. Why would we suddenly go that route 

... Because maybe there is a reason for them being limited to just blocking. Steichen didn't avoid tight ends in Philly like he did this year...

With an rpo based offense, you use your weapons accordingly. We don't have great weapons at tight end.

Philly 2022 receiving stats:

AJ Brown 145 tgts, 88 ctch, 1496 yards 11 tds

Devonte Smith 136 tgts, 95 ctch, 1196 yds, 7 tds

Dallas Goedert (12 games) 69 tgts, 55 ctch, 702 yds, 3 tds

Goedert averaged out to a full season is nearly 80 catches and 1000 yards. That's quite a bit of usage in that offense. Wasn't the same targeting tight ends when he wasn't out there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I mean for that, I would think the reason being that our "top" TE was out for the year, then you basically had 2 rookies in Ogletree (since hurt year 1) and Mallory. Then you got Cox that to me is great at blocking but not really all that. And then Granson that is soft blocking and maybe not what Shane was looking for (didn't draft for him). I just think there are plenty of reasons why we didn't use them to the extent that possibly Shane would want in the future. And none of them (except possibly a further away Mallory) of what Bowers currently is

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

... Because maybe there is a reason for them being limited to just blocking. Steichen didn't avoid tight ends in Philly like he did this year...

With an rpo based offense, you use your weapons accordingly. We don't have great weapons at tight end.

Philly 2022 receiving stats:

AJ Brown 145 tgts, 88 ctch, 1496 yards 11 tds

Devonte Smith 136 tgts, 95 ctch, 1196 yds, 7 tds

Dallas Goedert (12 games) 69 tgts, 55 ctch, 702 yds, 3 tds

Goedert averaged out to a full season is nearly 80 catches and 1000 yards. That's quite a bit of usage in that offense. Wasn't the same targeting tight ends when he wasn't out there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/opinion/the-domino-effect-of-losing-dallas-goedert-should-shift-work-to-wrs

Great article on losing Goedert that season. 

"With a healthy Dallas Goedert, one of the most talented tight ends in football, the Philadelphia offense was in 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3WR) nearly 70% of the time."

I've stated on this forum many times this season I feel a tight end like Bowers would go further from day 1 than bringing another receiver in and bumping pierce down. I don't feel Pierce has gotten a great shake at his potential. Having an AR- JT,  Pitt, Pierce, Downs and Bowers 11 personnel would be the closest I think we can do to giving Steichen similar tools he had in Philly.

• Like 5

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/opinion/the-domino-effect-of-losing-dallas-goedert-should-shift-work-to-wrs

Great article on losing Goedert that season. 

"With a healthy Dallas Goedert, one of the most talented tight ends in football, the Philadelphia offense was in 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3WR) nearly 70% of the time."

Yep, good points. I think the thing missing too with having an elite TE is not really needing them to come off the field as much either. And that just further enhances that RPO. Because we all know those defenses will key in on those guys coming in and out of the lineup, and have done their film on what those guys are more keen on doing. But having a TE that takes that huge lion share of snaps (which Bowers would obviously do) causes that range of guessing plays so much more. But that's my opinion of course

1 minute ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Yep, good points. I think the thing missing too with having an elite TE is not really needing them to come off the field as much either. And that just further enhances that RPO. Because we all know those defenses will key in on those guys coming in and out of the lineup, and have done their film on what those guys are more keen on doing. But having a TE that takes that huge lion share of snaps (which Bowers would obviously do) causes that range of guessing plays so much more. But that's my opinion of course

I added to that post, so you should check it out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I've stated on this forum many times this season I feel a tight end like Bowers would go further from day 1 than bringing another receiver in and bumping pierce down. I don't feel Pierce has gotten a great shake at his potential. Having an AR- JT,  Pitt, Pierce, Downs and Bowers 11 personnel would be the closest I think we can do to giving Steichen similar tools he had in Philly.

With that, it doesn't necessarily mean that's who they need. They might have somebody in mind in Free Agency to add to the room. I don't think they'll keep Mo Alie-Cox, and they sure as hell aren't going to bank on Woods, who has had "chronic hamstring issues" according to Ballard today. I think they definitely add somebody that Steichen likes to the tight end room. 

Maybe it means they like the receiving group at the top, and the tight end group behind Bowers so well that they are confident they are going to get one of each this draft. He was pretty confident in their draft preparation, which is interesting as there are still so many tools left to analyze (senior bowl, combine, prodays, etc.) By the sounds of it, going into those events, they have a pretty good grasp of their plan and who they are targeting. We know that to be the case with AR last year.

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t think we will.  TE’s are not considered explosive players.  I don’t consider any of the TE’s we’ve drafted the last two years as explosive.  They are options in an offense that can contribute.  Ballard appears to like Mallory a lot.  He should be able to contribute.  Explosive players are supposed to explode and not get caught from behind.  That’s the job of a WR1 and hopefully 2 and 3.

• Like 1