Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dline, snaps per pressure for Colts players and a some upcoming free agents.

Solid84

13 minutes ago, IinD said:

Look at that pathetic effort by Chase #92. 

Yeah, I really doubt the 49er re-sign him. I am sure the Chiefs in the trenches will attack the 49ers DL and OL because unlike the past, the trenches aren't the strong suite for the 49ers this time. We will see. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

The 5th year option, how much is it? Our run D at the edges does take a back seat when Paye misses games, hands down. Just have to pay him accordingly, doesn’t mean you bolt now, just can’t pay him like an elite pass rusher in the $20 mil range. Ebukam will get washed out versus the run if you use him for too many snaps, you need DEs of all kinds.

EDIT: It’s about $13-14 million range, the 5th year option compared to $20-30 million salaries for mid to elite tier defensive ends. Makes sense to pick it up and see how he does

I get we need guys who can play the run, but in a way Paye is the opposite of Ngakoue. Ngakoue was a liability against the run. Paye is a waste on pass plays - he just doesn’t bring anywhere near enough pressure when we only get pressure from our front 4. Maybe short of our NT we NEED all of our guys to bring pressure. 

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I get we need guys who can play the run, but in a way Paye is the opposite of Ngakoue. Ngakoue was a liability against the run. Paye is a waste on pass plays - he just doesn’t bring anywhere near enough pressure when we only get pressure from our front 4. Maybe short of our NT we NEED all of our guys to bring pressure. 

I recall he was a high RAS guy that didn’t pop on tape and lacked a second or third move and would need coaching up.  Could be another reason Ollie was let go.  Paye has certainly underwhelmed.  At this point I’m with the don’t pick up his option crowd.   Lewis was a 2nd rounder in 2018 that has never managed to earn a starting job even though he pops on tape.  Wonder why?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kwity-paye/32005041-5916-8986-d9fb-d5cb1d17eb42

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

I recall he was a high RAS guy that didn’t pop on tape and lacked a second or third move and would need coaching up.  Could be another reason Ollie was let go.  Paye has certainly underwhelmed.  At this point I’m with the don’t pick up his option crowd.   Lewis was a 2nd rounder in 2018 that has never managed to earn a starting job even though he pops on tape.  Wonder why?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kwity-paye/32005041-5916-8986-d9fb-d5cb1d17eb42

You actually wonder why Lewis hasn't been more impactful?  It is simply because he hasn't managed to compile back to back full seasons.  He has had some back luck with season enders. 
Overall though he has always produced in a limited role and that is why he has always been brought back.  Perhaps we should give him a bit more of a role since he has pretty much earned it.  

52 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

You actually wonder why Lewis hasn't been more impactful?  It is simply because he hasn't managed to compile back to back full seasons.  He has had some back luck with season enders. 
Overall though he has always produced in a limited role and that is why he has always been brought back.  Perhaps we should give him a bit more of a role since he has pretty much earned it.  

Maybe by virtue of being a tweener DT, Lewis can't stay healthy in every down roles for too long. That is definitely a possibility. 

He is an under tackle and unlike Buckner who can play NT on passing downs, Lewis is only suited as under tackle on passing downs for limited downs. Dayo is actually the guy that can make the jump, IMO, as he has about 20 lbs on Lewis to play next to Buckner on passing downs more, IMO. I bet we get another DT like Dayo in the future and as long as Lewis comes back for a nominal price, we will keep having him for the limited but effective role he plays.

52 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Maybe by virtue of being a tweener DT, Lewis can't stay healthy in every down roles for too long. That is definitely a possibility. 

He is an under tackle and unlike Buckner who can play NT on passing downs, Lewis is only suited as under tackle on passing downs for limited downs. Dayo is actually the guy that can make the jump, IMO, as he has about 20 lbs on Lewis to play next to Buckner on passing downs more, IMO. I bet we get another DT like Dayo in the future and as long as Lewis comes back for a nominal price, we will keep having him for the limited but effective role he plays.

I don't think Lewis is playing DI if that's what you mean? He weighs the same as Paye who is fine at DE (Lewis 267 // Paye 265). Lewis will be fine at DE or REO/LEO, he just can't switch inside.

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think Lewis is playing DT if that's what you mean? He weighs the same as Paye who is fine at DE (Lewis 267 // Paye 265). Lewis will be fine at DE or REO/LEO, he just can't switch inside.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, when I said under tackle. If he is only playing DE, then yeah, that is the role for him but not sure if he can stay healthy playing more downs, his history hasn't shown that.

We seem to be doing rotations at DE, DT is where we need bodies added because the DT push next to Buckner (assuming he is double teamed) is what will add to pressures and help the DEs mop it up, IMO. I think the focus should be on the direct line to the QB, with more push inside rather than just expecting DEs to flat out beat the OTs exclusively. That is the direct path to pressures, someone other than Buckner beating their 1-on-1s because that forces the QB to step towards the DEs. Stewart is a run down DT, so he isn't going to help in the pass down category.

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

Yes, that is what I was referring to, when I said under tackle. If he is only playing DE, then yeah, that is the role for him but not sure if he can stay healthy playing more downs, his history hasn't shown that.

We seem to be doing rotations at DE, DT is where we need bodies added because the DT push next to Buckner (assuming he is double teamed) is what will add to pressures and help the DEs mop it up.

New DL coach coming in too.  That could affect whether Lewis decides to return.  I would hope Ballard wants him back.  But we really don’t know.  I can see Lewis following the path of Hooker and Okeroke.  I never liked the decision to let both of those players move on.  I don’t want Lewis to leave either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

We seem to be doing rotations at DE, DT is where we need bodies added because the DT push next to Buckner (assuming he is double teamed) is what will add to pressures and help the DEs mop it up, IMO. I think the focus should be on the direct line to the QB, with more push inside rather than just expecting DEs to flat out beat the OTs exclusively. That is the direct path to pressures, someone other than Buckner beating their 1-on-1s because that forces the QB to step towards the DEs. Stewart is a run down DT, so he isn't going to help in the pass down category.

I have great respect for Grover, he is really solid at taking on double teams, and still making a very good number of tackles. We could use more push.

Dayo and Lewis took a number of of snaps at DT and did OK.

Bryan was pretty bad most of the season and Johnson should have been released by mid-season.

We need some young legs with good starter qualities added to the roster this draft at DT.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 4:49 PM, Solid84 said:

In the "2024 Important NFL Off-Season Dates…." thread I posted this as a response to whether or not the Colts should consider bringing in Chase Young:

Just for poops and giggles I decided to dig a little deeper here and include some upcoming non-Colts free agents. There's no agenda with this, I just like digging around in these numbers and thought it could create some disussion.

If you have other stats or the like you'd like for me to look up just ask.

The above example was using the players' total snaps. PFF divides these into Run defense and Pass rush snaps (and Coverage snaps if they have any). I think using the actual Pass rush snaps would be a better idea, so that's what I'm going with here.

The following is some basic calculations on how many Pass rush snaps these guys needed to create pressure (Sacks, Hits and Hurries) in the 2023/2024 season - Lower is better:

Colts players:

• DeForest Buckner
    • Pass rush snaps: 495
    • Total Pressures: 52
    • Snaps per Pressure: 9.52
  • Samson Ebukam
    • Pass rush snaps: 450
    • Total Pressures: 48
    • Snaps per Pressure: 9.38
  • Tyquan Lewis
    • Pass rush snaps: 259
    • Total Pressures: 44
    • Snaps per Pressure: 5.89
  • Dayo Odeyingbo
    • Pass rush snaps: 365
    • Total Pressures: 29
    • Snaps per Pressure: 12.59
  • Kwity Paye
    • Pass rush snaps: 410
    • Total Pressures: 28
    • Snaps per Pressure: 14.64
  • Grover Stewart
    • Pass rush snaps: 218
    • Total Pressures: 15
    • Snaps per Pressure: 14.53

Lewis has been really good. But he's been a rotational piece, so it's not certain his prodcution would scale. I would like to see a lot more of him though.

Noteworthy Dline free agents 2024:

DTs:

• Chris Jones, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 482
    • Total Pressures: 75
    • Snaps per Pressure: 6.43
  • Justin Madubuike, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 512
    • Total Pressures: 64
  • Christian Wilkins, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 563
    • Total Pressures: 58
    • Snaps per Pressure: 8.00
  • DJ Reader, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 314
    • Total Pressures: 34
    • Snaps per Pressure: 9.24
  • Leonard Williams, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 221
    • Total Pressures: 22
    • Snaps per Pressure: 10.05
  • Fletcher Cox, DT
    • Pass rush snaps: 480
    • Total Pressures: 43
    • Snaps per Pressure: 11.16

Chris Jones is off the charts man. Heard rumours he wanted $30m/year - yikes!

DEs:

• Danielle Hunter, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 613
    • Total Pressures: 80
    • Snaps per Pressure: 7.66
  • Chase Young, DE
    • Total Pressures: 66
    • Snaps per Pressure: 7.27
  • Josh Allen, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 513
    • Total Pressures: 90
    • Snaps per Pressure: 5.70
  • Brian Burns, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 379
    • Total Pressures: 40
    • Snaps per Pressure: 9.48
  • Jadeveon Clowney, DE
    • Total Pressures: 71
    • Snaps per Pressure: 6.79
  • Bryce Huff, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 334
    • Total Pressures: 67
    • Snaps per Pressure: 4.99
  • Jonathan Greenard, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 405
    • Snaps per Pressure: 8.44
  • Andrew Van Ginkel, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 321
    • Total Pressures: 53
    • Snaps per Pressure: 6.06

Josh Allen and Van Ginkel (Who, I'll be honest, I've never heard of..) have done well. Both are OLBs though, so not sure how they would fit in our scheme? From his total snap counts it looks like Bryce Huff is a rotational piece a la Lewis. His prodcution might not scale.

Again, I didn't do this to prove a point or to say we need to go get player x. I just like digging around in these numbers. If there are stats for other positions groups you'd like me to look up I'll gladly do it.

Thanks for the effort. 

It's a helpful reality check that helps one gain another level of perspective.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Just saw this report and thought back to this comment. You are 100% correct on this one. If you can't get motivated playing your way to the Superbowl, then it's never going to happen. Giving this guy a huge payday will be a major mistake. 

I have to admit that I expected him to play well with SF.  Figured he'd suck it up given the potential payday if he helps them get a ring this year.  But the man is stupid as well as lazy apparently.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

New DL coach coming in too.  That could affect whether Lewis decides to return.  I would hope Ballard wants him back.  But we really don’t know.  I can see Lewis following the path of Hooker and Okeroke.  I never liked the decision to let both of those players move on.  I don’t want Lewis to leave either.

I like Lewis a lot too.  I also can see him leaving in free agency.  If that happens I wouldn’t mind taking another look at Autry who is also a FA.  Yes I understand he’s 33 but has been solid year after year.  I’m not opposed to letting Lewis walk and paying Autry to come back.  I still see Autry as perhaps Ballards biggest folly.  The major question is would he be willing to sign a 1 year deal as I don’t see Ballard offering him anything more.  Probably not.  

Yeah, after watching chase stint with the 49ers so far, I’m eating crow and don’t want him anymore.  

That sucks because that’s one less DE to target in FA (if we do).  There are others.  Hopefully teams drool enough over Chase that we can grab someone else.

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Yeah, after watching chase stint with the 49ers so far, I’m eating crow and don’t want him anymore.  

That sucks because that’s one less DE to target in FA (if we do).  There are others.  Hopefully teams drool enough over Chase that we can grab someone else.

Chase is already being talked about being benched for the Super Bowl. Maybe 1 or 2 teams might consider him on a prove me 1 year deal, tops. The rest will all be competing with us for other DEs in FA and/or draft.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nevbot said:

He’s a role player who has gotten hurt a lot. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:49 PM, Solid84 said:

In the "2024 Important NFL Off-Season Dates…." thread I posted this as a response to whether or not the Colts should consider bringing in Chase Young:

Just for poops and giggles I decided to dig a little deeper here and include some upcoming non-Colts free agents. There's no agenda with this, I just like digging around in these numbers and thought it could create some disussion.

The above example was using the players' total snaps. PFF divides these into Run defense and Pass rush snaps (and Coverage snaps if they have any). I think using the actual Pass rush snaps would be a better idea, so that's what I'm going with here.

The following is some basic calculations on how many Pass rush snaps these guys needed to create pressure (Sacks, Hits and Hurries) in the 2023/2024 season - Lower is better:

Colts players:

• DeForest Buckner
  • Samson Ebukam
  • Tyquan Lewis
  • Dayo Odeyingbo
  • Kwity Paye
  • Grover Stewart

Lewis has been really good. But he's been a rotational piece, so it's not certain his prodcution would scale. I would like to see a lot more of him though.

DTs:

• Chris Jones, DT
  • Justin Madubuike, DT
  • Christian Wilkins, DT
  • DJ Reader, DT
  • Leonard Williams, DT
  • Fletcher Cox, DT

DEs:

• Danielle Hunter, DE
  • Chase Young, DE
  • Josh Allen, DE
  • Brian Burns, DE
  • Jadeveon Clowney, DE
  • Bryce Huff, DE
  • Jonathan Greenard, DE
  • Andrew Van Ginkel, DE

Josh Allen and Van Ginkel (Who, I'll be honest, I've never heard of..) have done well. Both are OLBs though, so not sure how they would fit in our scheme? From his total snap counts it looks like Bryce Huff is a rotational piece a la Lewis. His prodcution might not scale.

Again, I didn't do this to prove a point or to say we need to go get player x. I just like digging around in these numbers. If there are stats for other positions groups you'd like me to look up I'll gladly do it.

Thank you writing this up

THIS is the main problem with our defense

IMHO

Bryce Huff would be an amazing pickup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thank you writing this up

THIS is the main problem with our defense

IMHO

Bryce Huff would be an amazing pickup

Yep. It lines up with the theory that their sack production was a bit of an outlier. Or at the very least, not indicative of a top level pass rush. And if you look at the individual parts, you can see why.

Ebukam was solid, but not exactly a game-wrecker. He will also be 29 next year, so I am not sure you can just pencil him in for 9.5 sacks again.

Paye and Dayo are decent players, but not high level ERs.

DeFo is great, but he's going to be 30. 

They need a big-time addition at ER. And this offseason is actually the time to do it because Dayo will be a FA after next season, Paye could be (if they don't pick up his option) and Ebukam/DeFo will both be 30+.

37 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Paye is looking like a bust when it comes to his pass rush, Run stopping he is pretty good, but man, we need him to come a long way in a short amount of time.

Looney tunes. Perhaps he is doing what his boss asks him to do, and his 8.5 sacks was good. Overall, he IS a good player and should continue to improve his knowledge base.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:49 PM, Solid84 said:

Colts players:

• DeForest Buckner
  • Samson Ebukam
  • Tyquan Lewis
  • Dayo Odeyingbo
  • Kwity Paye
  • Grover Stewart

DTs:

• Chris Jones, DT
  • Justin Madubuike, DT
  • Christian Wilkins, DT
  • DJ Reader, DT
  • Leonard Williams, DT
  • Fletcher Cox, DT

DEs:

• Danielle Hunter, DE
  • Chase Young, DE
  • Josh Allen, DE
  • Brian Burns, DE
  • Jadeveon Clowney, DE
  • Bryce Huff, DE
  • Jonathan Greenard, DE
  • Andrew Van Ginkel, DE

Just for fun.

568 total passing attempts for our opponents.

211 total pressures you listed from your PFF list. You know we had more.

51 sacks for our Colts. 1 for every 11.14 opponents attempts.

48 sacks for SF. 1 for every 12.94 opponents 621 pass attempts 

SF has 2 All-Pro's in their defensive backfield providing better (pressure coverage) than our miss mash, and they had 2 superior LB's.

Ballard/Dodds deserve what grade supplying our back 7 with talent?

No better than a D? 

Our rush was really good with our first 6. # 7/8, Bryan and Johnson were F's. And that mattered.

Better coverage = more sacks and pressure.

Do you really think Ballard/Dodds as drafters would be hard to replace?  Personally, I'm very dissatisfied with their defense philosophy. We are stuck with this cr dodoo.

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just for fun.

SF has 2 All-Pro's in their defensive backfield providing better (pressure coverage) than our miss mash, and they had 2 superior LB's.

No better than a D? 

Our rush was really good with our first 6. Bryan and Johnson were F's. And that mattered.

The guys I listed are just our starters and primary rotational pieces on the Dline.

We had 281 total pressures this season - 25th in the league.

DeForest Buckner: 495 passrush snaps/52 pressures = 9.52

Samson Ebukam: 450/48 = 9.38

Tyquan Lewis: 259/44 = 5.89

Dayo Odeyingbo: 365/29 = 12.59

Kwity Paye: 410/28 = 14.64

Grover Stewart: 218/15 = 14.53

Jacob Martin: 107/14 = 7.64

Taven Bryan: 149/11 = 13.55

EJ Speed: 42/7 = 6

Zaire Franklin: 43/7 = 6.14

Adetomiwa Adebawore: 70/6 = 11.67

Kenny Moore: 28/4 = 7

Julian Blackmon: 19/4 = 4.75

Eric Johnson: 110/4 = 27.50

Isaiah Land: 19/2 = 9.50

Grant Stuard: 7/2 = 3.50

Shaquille Leonard: = 9/2 = 4.50

Ronnie Harrison: 3/1 = 3.00

McTelvin Agim: 6/1 = 6.00

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just for fun.

No better than a D? 

Our rush was really good with our first 6. Bryan and Johnson were F's. And that mattered.

The 49'ers also had 387 total pressures compared to our 281.

It's not all about sacks even if that is the ultimately goal. Just getting near the QB or hitting him as he throws will have a huge impact on a play.

If you don't believe me go watch the Texans-Ravens playoff game. The Ravens didn't sack Stroud a single time, but he was hunted all game and it had a big effect on his play.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, Solid84 said:

I'll post them here as well, to keep it here and not derail the other thread further:

Ngakoue had 435 Pass rush snaps (733 total) and 44 total pressures. 9.86 Pass rush snaps per pressure.

Correct and just watch every time he loops around the qb and when he misses, the running back going through his hole for 20 yards.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just for fun.

No better than a D? 

Our rush was really good with our first 6. # 7/8, Bryan and Johnson were F's. And that mattered.

Do you really think Ballard/Dodds as drafters would be hard to replace?  Personally, I'm very dissatisfied with their defense philosophy. We are stuck with this cr dodoo.

I really wouldnt put any stock into the sack numbers this year. We played horrible qbs, so it is really hard to know how good they really were. All I know is this, and go back and watch the games. Any time they played a competent qb and Oline, they were invisible. I based their performance on those games not when they play a bottom feeder qb.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The 49'ers also had 387 total pressures compared to our 281.

It's not all about sacks even if that is the ultimately goal. Just getting near the QB or hitting him as he throws will have a huge impact on a play.

If you don't believe me go watch the Texans-Ravens playoff game. The Ravens didn't sack Stroud a single time, but he was hunted all game and it had a big effect on his play.

So if I get this right,  SF defended 3 more passes a game than us.

They averaged 6 more pressures a game out of 37 passes. Sure that would help. 

Apparently you give no consideration to them having 3 All-Pros in their back seven. Oh boy nice take.

Gee, I figure they played from ahead quite a bit, forcing teams to throw more than they probably preferred. Yea, it kinda work's that way. Mathis/Freeney.

Gosh, I sure do hope Ballard/Dodds/Steichen can build us a great offense that gets us leads so WE can Unleash the Dogs. Football 101

You see, we watched our team pressure QB's, yip I watched it every week for years and years. Maybe you saw some of it too. 

Check out Doomsday, the Fearsome Foursome, the Purple People Eaters, the Steel Curtain. 85 Bears.  

Our Ballard/Dodds D philosophy/talent seems hopeless. Pure mediocrity.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So if I get this right,  SF defended 3 more passes a game than us.

They averaged 6 more pressures a game out of 37 passes. Sure that would help. 

Apparently you give no consideration to them having 3 All-Pros in their back seven. Oh boy nice take.

Gee, I figure they played from ahead quite a bit, forcing teams to throw more than they probably preferred. Yea, it kinda work's that way. Mathis/Freeney.

Gosh, I sure do hope Ballard/Dodds/Steichen can build us a great offense that gets us leads so WE can Unleash the Dogs. Football 101

You see, we watched our team pressure QB's, yip I watched it every week for years and years. Maybe you saw some of it too. 

Check out Doomsday, the Fearsome Foursome, the Purple People Eaters, the Steel Curtain. 85 Bears.  

Our Ballard/Dodds D philosophy/talent seems hopeless. Pure mediocrity.

The problem with the angle that the secondary is the problem is that this is how it’s been every year Bradley or Everflus has been here - no matter who played in our secondary. We’ve always been bottem of the league in pressures. 

Scheme is some of it. Blitzing would generate more pressure. But it’s mainly a talent issue to me. We need better pass rushers on the Dline in my opinion. 

Not at my computer at the moment, but if I remember it I’ll do a little write up in here about pressures/pressures per snap from the Dline exclusively (taking out any pressures generated through blitzing) going back a handful of seasons. Then maybe compare that to a handful of other teams. 

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Not at my computer at the moment, but if I remember it I’ll do a little write up in here about pressures/pressures per snap from the Dline exclusively (taking out any pressures generated through blitzing) going back a handful of seasons. Then maybe compare that to a handful of other teams. 

This is just because I'm curious. Not trying to debunk or argue against, because we have sucked at creating pressure. May we look at other teams Dline pressure too? I am really wondering about teams with the one elite pass rusher on their side, and teams with high blitz rates that create alot of pressure. I am thinking of the Ravens for the latter but there might be a few. 

Also where do you go for the info? Sounds like it would be fun to get into.

18 minutes ago, KB said:

This is just because I'm curious. Not trying to debunk or argue against, because we have sucked at creating pressure. May we look at other teams Dline pressure too? I am really wondering about teams with the one elite pass rusher on their side, and teams with high blitz rates that create alot of pressure. I am thinking of the Ravens for the latter but there might be a few. 

Also where do you go for the info? Sounds like it would be fun to get into.

I’ll try and include a few other teams for reference. Anyone specific you were thinking of?

I won’t be able to get this done until tomorrow. Just moved to a new apartment and my computer isn’t set up yet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The problem with the angle that the secondary is the problem is that this is how it’s been every year Bradley or Everflus has been here - no matter who played in our secondary. We’ve always been bottem of the league in pressures. 

Scheme is some of it. Blitzing would generate more pressure. But it’s mainly a talent issue to me. We need better pass rushers on the Dline in my opinion. 

Sorry, but we defend with Ballard's defensive philosophy. 

He failed with Turray, Lewis, and that other forgettable 2nd rounder.

That is on him/Dodds.

Now we finish 3rd in the league in sacks with his 2nd go round and you want to pick on our pressure rate that is only 6 a game fewer than San Frans.

It's foolish to not weight that they play from ahead and have much better back seven talent.

Kenny is our only supposed coverage back seven talent out of seven and he gave up 5 td's. That, is a big number.

How in the world can the great Ballard be so inept drafting secondary.

We are not sufficient where else? WR, TE, LB.

55 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’ll try and include a few other teams for reference. Anyone specific you were thinking of?

I won’t be able to get this done until tomorrow. Just moved to a new apartment and my computer isn’t set up yet. 

The Ravens and Cleavland are the two that come to mind. Cleveland has the stud pass rusher and ravens lead the league in sacks I believe but I wouldn't say they have a stud rusher. Not sure of how often they blitz.

Congrats on the new spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry, but we defend with Ballard's defensive philosophy. 

He failed with Turray, Lewis, and that other forgettable 2nd rounder.

That is on him/Dodds.

Now we finish 3rd in the league in sacks with his 2nd go round and you want to pick on our pressure rate that is only 6 a game fewer than San Frans.

It's foolish to not weight that they play from ahead and have much better back seven talent.

Kenny is our only supposed coverage back seven talent out of seven and he gave up 5 td's. That, is a big number.

How in the world can the great Ballard be so inept drafting secondary.

We are not sufficient where else? WR, TE, LB.

Lewis didn’t fail lol.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:49 PM, Solid84 said:

Colts players:

• DeForest Buckner
  • Samson Ebukam
  • Tyquan Lewis
  • Dayo Odeyingbo
  • Kwity Paye
  • Grover Stewart

DTs:

• Chris Jones, DT
  • Justin Madubuike, DT
  • Christian Wilkins, DT
  • DJ Reader, DT
  • Leonard Williams, DT
  • Fletcher Cox, DT

DEs:

• Danielle Hunter, DE
  • Chase Young, DE
  • Josh Allen, DE
  • Brian Burns, DE
  • Jadeveon Clowney, DE
  • Bryce Huff, DE
  • Jonathan Greenard, DE
  • Andrew Van Ginkel, DE

Hey man.  I can’t find the pressure data

do you have Darius Robinson and McKinley Jackson?

21 hours ago, KB said:

The Ravens and Cleavland are the two that come to mind. Cleveland has the stud pass rusher and ravens lead the league in sacks I believe but I wouldn't say they have a stud rusher. Not sure of how often they blitz.

Congrats on the new spot.

So I did some diggin':

Pressures and dropbacks per pressure from only Dline players. Keep in mind the "snaps per pressure" is an average and not necessarily indicative of what happens in game - ie. two or more players can generate pressure on the same snap.

Colts:

• '23: 254 total pressure from the Dline (of 281 total) // 647 dropbacks // 2.55 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 223 total pressure from the Dline (of 246 total) // 615 dropbacks // 2.76 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 237 total pressure from the Dline (of 288 total) // 663 dropbacks // 2.80 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 209 total pressure from the Dline (of 243 total) // 634 dropbacks // 3.03 snaps per pressure

Ravens:

• '23: 329 total pressure from the Dline (of 397 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '22: 217 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '21: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 277 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '20: 219 total pressure from the Dline (of 289 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure

Browns:

• '23: 300 total pressure from the Dline (of 356 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '22: 199 total pressure from the Dline (of 345 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '21: 242 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '20: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 254 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure

I wanted to do the same for non-Dlinemen, but that's a bit more tricky, because I can't find on how many dropbacks we blitzed. Instead I'll use total pass rush snaps for non-Dlinemen. This gives us a different result than "snaps per pressure". Instead we'll get "Blitzers per pressure" - essentially how many blitzers we had to send to create one pressure on average.

Colts:

• '23: 27 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 166 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 6.15 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 23 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 135 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.87 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 51 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 227 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.45 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 34 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 190 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.59 blitzers per pressure.

Ravens:

• '23: 68 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 327 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.81 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 63 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 307 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.87 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 61 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 348 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.70 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 70 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 419 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.99 blitzers per pressure.

Browns:

• '23: 56 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 282 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.04 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 46 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 194 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.22 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 38 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 191 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.03 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 38 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 235 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 6.18 blitzers per pressure.

I hope it makes sense.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hey man.  I can’t find the pressure data

do you have Darius Robinson and McKinley Jackson?

PFF don't have stats on McKinnley Jackson yet.

• 2023 Darius Robinson, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 290
    • Total Pressures: 42
    • Snaps per Pressure: 6.90
  • 2022 Darius Robinson, DE
    • Pass rush snaps: 254
    • Total Pressures: 19
    • Snaps per Pressure: 13.37

40 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So I did some diggin':

Pressures and dropbacks per pressure from only Dline players. Keep in mind the "snaps per pressure" is an average and not necessarily indicative of what happens in game - ie. two or more players can generate pressure on the same snap.

Colts:

• '23: 254 total pressure from the Dline (of 281 total) // 647 dropbacks // 2.55 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 223 total pressure from the Dline (of 246 total) // 615 dropbacks // 2.76 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 237 total pressure from the Dline (of 288 total) // 663 dropbacks // 2.80 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 209 total pressure from the Dline (of 243 total) // 634 dropbacks // 3.03 snaps per pressure

Ravens:

• '23: 329 total pressure from the Dline (of 397 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '22: 217 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '21: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 277 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '20: 219 total pressure from the Dline (of 289 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure

Browns:

• '23: 300 total pressure from the Dline (of 356 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '22: 199 total pressure from the Dline (of 345 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '21: 242 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure
  • '20: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 254 total) //  dropbacks //  snaps per pressure

I wanted to do the same for non-Dlinemen, but that's a bit more tricky, because I can't find on how many dropbacks we blitzed. Instead I'll use total pass rush snaps for non-Dlinemen. This gives us a different result than "snaps per pressure". Instead we'll get "Blitzers per pressure" - essentially how many blitzers we had to send to create one pressure on average.

Colts:

• '23: 27 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 166 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 6.15 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 23 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 135 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.87 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 51 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 227 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.45 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 34 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 190 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.59 blitzers per pressure.

Ravens:

• '23: 68 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 327 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.81 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 63 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 307 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.87 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 61 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 348 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.70 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 70 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 419 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.99 blitzers per pressure.

Browns:

• '23: 56 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 282 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.04 blitzers per pressure.
  • '22: 46 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 194 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 4.22 blitzers per pressure.
  • '21: 38 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 191 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 5.03 blitzers per pressure.
  • '20: 38 pressures from non-Dlinemen // 235 pass rush snaps from non-Dlinemen // 6.18 blitzers per pressure.

I hope it makes sense.

Lol, I'm an *. Didn't get all the numbers typed in. Gimme a moment.

Sorry about that @KB here're the stats for all teams.

Colts:

Ravens:

• '23: 329 total pressure from the Dline (of 397 total) // 738 dropbacks // 2.24 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 217 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) // 667 dropbacks // 3.07 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 277 total) // 669 dropbacks // 3.10 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 219 total pressure from the Dline (of 289 total) // 661 dropbacks // 3.02 snaps per pressure

Browns:

• '23: 300 total pressure from the Dline (of 356 total) // 617 dropbacks // 2.06 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 199 total pressure from the Dline (of 345 total) // 566 dropbacks // 2.84 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 242 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) // 641 dropbacks // 2.65 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 254 total) // 649 dropbacks // 3.00 snaps per pressure

Colts:

Ravens:

Browns:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Sorry about that @KB here're the stats for all teams.

Colts:

Ravens:

• '23: 329 total pressure from the Dline (of 397 total) // 738 dropbacks // 2.24 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 217 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) // 667 dropbacks // 3.07 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 277 total) // 669 dropbacks // 3.10 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 219 total pressure from the Dline (of 289 total) // 661 dropbacks // 3.02 snaps per pressure

Browns:

• '23: 300 total pressure from the Dline (of 356 total) // 617 dropbacks // 2.06 snaps per pressure
  • '22: 199 total pressure from the Dline (of 345 total) // 566 dropbacks // 2.84 snaps per pressure
  • '21: 242 total pressure from the Dline (of 280 total) // 641 dropbacks // 2.65 snaps per pressure
  • '20: 216 total pressure from the Dline (of 254 total) // 649 dropbacks // 3.00 snaps per pressure

Colts:

Ravens:

Browns:

So what can we take from this?

Well, the Colts clearly miss out on a lot of pressure because we don't blitz all that much. Also, we're not as efficient as the Ravens and the Browns when we do blitz, which is kinda unfortunate considering the opponents shouldn't really be expecting it.

Secondly when you factor in actual QB dropbacks, and thus opportunities to create pressure, the Colts Dline actually isn't bad. In fact, save this 2023 season, it would seem we're better than the Ravens and possibly only slightly behind the Browns.

So, scheme? Burn-Bradley-at-the-stake time? 😄