Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay ill

49 minutes ago, Shive said:

I would be surprised if Irsay’s ownership wasn't technically in a trust with him as trustee. Wealthy people use trusts to pass along assets without incurring inheritance taxes.

of course it is. 

Lamar hunt laid that foundation. 
it’s called a GRAT. 

23 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We need to stop. The Carmel police did the right thing. They had a man with a history of addiction and  was showing signs of a drug overdose and administered narcan. That was the correct thing because it won’t hurt him if it’s something else. If they hadn’t done that then they would have been neglectful.  

The only issue is that in the report giving him Narcan didn’t do much to improve his condition.  If this was a drug overdose it would have.  Did they make a mistake trying Narcan?  I don’t think so, in this day and age I think police or paramedics are trained to default to a potential overdose and at least eliminate that possibility.  I think the objection to the report is they reported it as an overdose even though the evidence to say so was shaky at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IndyEV said:

Lets just hope these ladies dont want to up and move the team to some other city when they take full control alla…

rachel-phelps-major-league.jpg

I think the are rooted here. I doubt that happens.

32 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

The only issue is that in the report giving him Narcan didn’t do much to improve his condition.  If this was a drug overdose it would have.  Did they make a mistake trying Narcan?  I don’t think so, in this day and age I think police or paramedics are trained to default to a potential overdose and at least eliminate that possibility.  I think the objection to the report is they reported it as an overdose even though the evidence to say so was shaky at best.

No it said suspected overdose.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:05 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Do you think they have $2 billion cash? 

they might have made them owners just for the ability to have a smooth transition when he dies… until the tax bill comes in which may require significant funding and/or selling some/all of the organization to pay. 

its like family farms and small family corporations on a larger scale. They keep disappearing because once grandpa dies, it’s just a lot easier to sell to the private equity firms or large corporations that are lurking in the shadows, than to deal with the nightmare that is death taxes. 

you can plan all you want; but it’s hard to plan for a business that keeps growing in value 15-20% annually. It isn’t going to stop. 

If it’s set up as a trust, which I’m guessing is highly likely, and if from the reports, that his daughters are listed in the trust already, there won’t be any tax issues or concerns. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

If it’s set up as a trust, which I’m guessing is highly likely, and if from the reports, that his daughters are listed in the trust already, there won’t be any tax issues or concerns. 

yeah I’ve been reading about the grat trusts that owners use. 

There is a timeframe where they work. If you don’t outlive the term, then the tax comes into play. If you do, then the valuation reverts back to when the trust was established, which could have been all the way back to 2012 (or even long before) which would be significant difference. There is also provisions that allow for an annuity to be paid to the owner from the assets of the trust which discount the tax implication. 

also- there is a safety net of having 15 years to spread the tax liability out if the trust assets are 35% of the estate. 

So definitely a lot of planning needed in a succession plan, but the nfl requires it now for owners, which is smart business. I know a lot of multi-million dollar businesses in this country have zero succession plan, and that is insane… 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

It would be nice if we got even a generic update on Jim. Hopefully he is improving. 

Owners meet, I believe, is scheduled as follows for new league year:

March 24-27 Annual League Meeting, Orlando, FL

May 20-22 Spring League Meeting/Coach Accelerator, Nashville, TN

We may get to know if Irsay attends these. 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:42 PM, ArmchairQB said:

EMS give Narcan if they see certain signs (usually pinpoint pupils, agonal breathing and being unconscious is enough to try Narcan). Just because Narcan was given doesnt mean its automatically an overdose. There's Narcan given in non-overdoses all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonmal7 said:

EMS give Narcan if they see certain signs (usually pinpoint pupils, agonal breathing and being unconscious is enough to try Narcan). Just because Narcan was given doesnt mean it’s automatically an overdose. There's Narcan given in non-overdoses all the time.

I wont dispute the use of narcan. My biggest complaint is the report stating it was suspected overdose. Why? Why was it suspected overdose when the caller stated congestive heart failure? Why was it suspected drug overdose if there were no drugs on site, and the signs matched that of a respiratory illness and/or congestive heart failure. Because the police administered narcan and he responded slightly to it? Because the police know he is Jim Irsay and has a known history of drug addiction? Perhaps because the police have a vendetta from Irsay’s hbo interview? 

My argument is that if it is not a drug overdose and the police reported they suspected it was, for no solid reason, and that report led to a barrage of media headlines stating as such, that should be grounds for serious litigation. I would be royally upset if my name was on every news site saying i had a drug overdose, if it in fact was a medical issue like congestive heart failure, non-drug related. 

40 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I wont dispute the use of narcan. My biggest complaint is the report stating it was suspected overdose. Why? Why was it suspected overdose when the caller stated congestive heart failure? Why was it suspected drug overdose if there were no drugs on site, and the signs matched that of a respiratory illness and/or congestive heart failure. Because the police administered narcan and he responded slightly to it? Because the police know he is Jim Irsay and has a known history of drug addiction? Perhaps because the police have a vendetta from Irsay’s hbo interview? 

My argument is that if it is not a drug overdose and the police reported they suspected it was, for no solid reason, and that report led to a barrage of media headlines stating as such, that should be grounds for serious litigation. I would be royally upset if my name was on every news site saying i had a drug overdose, if it in fact was a medical issue like congestive heart failure, non-drug related. 

Pete ward was in his car when the call was made to 911 on his way over there. He is not a medical professional.  You had a guy with a history of addiction.  Conjestive heart failure can happen because of a overdose too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pete ward was in his car when the call was made to 911 on his way over there. He is not a medical professional.  You had a guy with a history of addiction.  Conjestive heart failure can happen because of a overdose too.

Pete Ward is the only one in that situation that would know Irsay’s medical situation… 

keep defending the police Chloe. They created a media storm. You said it yourself “guy with a history of addiction.” so let’s put suspected drug overdose on the report and send it to the media, without any evidence that it was a drug overdose.

you have a police department that just two months ago Irsay said targeted him unfairly in his prior arrest. It can go both ways. 

congestive heart failure can happen in a completely sober individual after years of drug addiction too… 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pete ward was in his car when the call was made to 911 on his way over there. He is not a medical professional.  You had a guy with a history of addiction.  Conjestive heart failure can happen because of an overdose too.

I think it was wrong to jump to the conclusion that because he had a prior history it’s perfectly okay to jump to the conclusion that that was the cause.  It was also reported that a nurse was in the home and he had been receiving oxygen before he was found.  That suggests he was being treated for another condition.  Unfortunately reporters love to jump on the worst possible reason to garner more clicks on their story.  Sadly it’s the world we live in.  Assumptions without facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think it was wrong to jump to the conclusion that because he had a prior history it’s perfectly okay to jump to the conclusion that that was the cause.  It was also reported that a nurse was in the home and he had been receiving oxygen before he was found.  That suggests he was being treated for another condition.  Unfortunately reporters love to jump on the worst possible reason to garner more clicks on their story.  Sadly it’s the world we live in.  Assumptions without facts.

Thank you…

The reporters did nothing but write a brief story stating what was in the police report. Notice the stories coming out recently that stated the 911 call from Ward. That was conveniently not released by the police for the first wave of reports.

The fact that there was a nurse there, he was on oxygen, and his longtime right hand man called it in as heat failure tells me what I need to know. The comments by the officer on the scene and the report speak volumes to me. 

and then the dashboard video of the officers responding blasting Taylor swift. Clown show… 

• Thanks 1

I am basing my opinion off Mike Chappell because I think he’s proven himself to the be the most trust worthy person who has reported on this.  Chappell also knows the Irsay’s really well so there is a good chance he knows more than he can say.  

Chappell seemed to feel the reports of the overdose are true.  He did stop short of saying for a fact that is what it was.  So I am willing to leave the same wiggle room because I don’t think there is the evidence to say for an absolute fact it was an overdose or not.  I do think you can tell the overdose is strongly suspected by people who are around this and probably have more information than we do on a message board and that should be factored in but again, I agree with drawing the line at saying it is suspected vs stating as a fact that’s 100% what happened because we don’t know either way.  

Regardless rather it was an overdose or he has serious health issue it’s not good and I hope for a full recovery regardless of the cause.  I think that’s more important right now that being able to say for a fact I know what caused this.  That will in all likely hood come out in time.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

They did what they would have done in a lot of cases. You guys need to stop faulting the police for taking actions to try and save someone’s life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They did what they would have done in a lot of cases. You guys need to stop faulting the police for taking actions to try and save someone’s life. 

With all due respect, a lot of cases don’t end up as headlines on every media source in America. 

“Mr. Irsay it’s the Carmel police, we’re here to save your life.” If he were conscious he probably would asked them to just not. He stated his disgust with the department on hbo. 

My biggest question is why were they ones to “save his life,” which I dispute they even did anything to help… we can’t say narcan saved his life, he barely even responded to it. Why would the Carmel Police need to step in to provide “life saving measures” when a nurse was in the house? I might be wrong here, but I’m taking the nurse every time until the emt’s arrive. 

58 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Regardless rather it was an overdose or he has serious health issue it’s not good and I hope for a full recovery regardless of the cause.  I think that’s more important right now that being able to say for a fact I know what caused this.  That will in all likely hood come out in time

I wish nothing more than a full recovery. His health concerns me, and I don’t know more than what little is out there and what the clear deterioration in his appearance. 

And I’m not sure we’ll get the true story. One could suspect that he would target the police with at least public comments if it wasn’t a drug overdose. But we may never hear much about it. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe,  just maybe all the facts aren't known.   Maybe they did the right thing maybe they didn't.   Was blasting a Taylor Swift song the right thing to do on the way to an non responsive person?

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe,  just maybe all the facts aren't known.   Maybe they did the right thing maybe they didn't.   Was blasting a Taylor Swift song the right thing to do on the way to an non responsive person?

before anyone responds to that, it should be known that the other officers that showed up did not have music on at all according to their dash cam. 

the whole thing is a clown show in my opinion. Little chance Irsay doesn’t make comments if/when he recovers. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

before anyone responds to that, it should be known that the other officers that showed up did not have music on at all according to their dash cam. 

the whole thing is a clown show in my opinion. Little chance Irsay doesn’t make comments if/when he recovers. 

I'm guessing his attorney's are in contact with the Carmel police

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe,  just maybe all the facts aren't known.   Maybe they did the right thing maybe they didn't.   Was blasting a Taylor Swift song the right thing to do on the way to a non responsive person?

Personally I think what music they were playing in the car on the way there is irrelevant and just noise being thrown out by people who want to discredit the police because they don’t like what they reported for whatever reason.  What matters is did they respond in a timely manner and did they do their job once they did arrive?  There has been no credible report beyond internet speculation to suggest they didn’t.  Until that happens I am willing to think that they did.  If people don’t want too that’s up to them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Personally I think what music they were playing in the car on the way there is irrelevant and just noise being thrown out by people who want to discredit the police because they don’t like what they reported for whatever reason.  What matters is did they respond in a timely manner and did they do their job once they did arrive?  There has been no credible report beyond internet speculation to suggest they didn’t.  Until that happens I am willing to think that they did.  If people don’t want too that’s up to them. 

My dad was an IPD officer.  I have a brother that was an IPD officer.  I have several classmates that are officers.  Having music playing on your way to a call isn't a thing.   If they are communicating with dispatch on the radio, music playing would be an issue.   It seems unprofessional at best

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My dad was an IPD officer.  I have a brother that was an IPD officer.  I have several classmates that are officers.  Having music playing on your way to a call isn't a thing.   If they are communicating with dispatch on the radio, music playing would be an issue.   It seems unprofessional at best

That’s nice and respect your family for their service.  It doesn’t change the fact there is no credible source to support the idea these officers didn’t do their job once they arrived.  

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

it’s very unprofessional. It wasn’t just playing music it was blasting it and the dashboard was all over the internet. 

the fact that the other officers weren’t playing anything speaks volumes. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s nice and respect your family for their service.  It doesn’t change the fact there is no credible source to support the idea these officers didn’t do their job once they arrived.  

im not sure anyone has stated they didn’t do their jobs… 

the department could have released a report that stated while the offers initially suspected overdose, there was no evidence of that being the case. 

they did not. And they did not provide enough in the report to alter my opinion that there was evidence of a drug overdose, aside from it being known by the department who the individual was… 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Having music playing on your way to a call isn't a thing.   If they are communicating with dispatch on the radio, music playing would be an issue.   It seems unprofessional at best

This. 

It’s not even about professionalism. If I’m playing music on shift, I can’t hear and understand the radio. I. Love. Music. But I never play music on shift.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, lester said:

This. 

It’s not even about professionalism. If I’m playing music on shift, I can’t hear and understand the radio. I. Love. Music. But I never play music on shift.

Thank you for keeping us safe

34 minutes ago, lester said:

This. 

maybe the officers that filed the report didn’t hear the dispatch tell them it wasn’t an overdose… 

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe,  just maybe all the facts aren't known.   Maybe they did the right thing maybe they didn't.   Was blasting a Taylor Swift song the right thing to do on the way to a non responsive person?

Exactly. We need to stop saying the police lied ect. No one knows all the facts.  It’s very possible he did have a relapse after back surgery.  He isn’t a saint. I heard from one of the media guys he has been in and out of rehab like 15 times. That could also be where he is at. Let’s let this play out before trashing the police.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Exactly. We need to stop saying the police lied ect. No one knows all the facts.  It’s very possible he did have a relapse after back surgery.  He isn’t a saint. I heard from one of the media guys he has been in and out of rehab like 15 times. That could also be where he is at. Let’s let this play out before trashing the police.

you are right. All we have is the police report. And the police report appears to show they didn’t have all the facts either. 

• Nadine locked this topic