Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the league (Coaching News)

Happy2BeHere

49 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm hoping Atlanta will sign Cousins so that Atlanta does not draft a rookie QB in the top 10 of the first round. That would make it easier for the Vikings to draft one of the top 3 QBs. 

Harbaugh coaching Cousins would be interesting. They would win that division IMO.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:06 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently pats made a succession pan a couple years ago for this to happen. I think it’s so dumb because you never know who would be available.

Which is dumb?

Developing a coach in-house to be next head coach and in order to make sure he's not poached, sign into his contract that he's the successor to Belichick?

Or let Belichick go and all other good coaches in the organization get poached, and expect someone like Vrabel to be available exactly a week before Belichick retired?

I think Vrabel got to know that Belichick is gonna retire, and he wanted to see if he could get the job - not the other way around.

Patriots owner Kraft probably believed in the coach he's been watching everyday at work within his organization more than Vrabel, who has been with another franchise for six years or so. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I'm hoping Atlanta will sign Cousins so that Atlanta does not draft a rookie QB in the top 10 of the first round. That would make it easier for the Vikings to draft one of the top 3 QBs. 

I think Cousins is getting signed by Vikings, probably on a team friendly deal, as lower as Cousins would like to get to give some for the team. I think he recently mentioned that the money is not important at this stage for him in his next contracts, but the importance would be given to how the contract is structured so that both he and team could get what they want. I think Cousins will have some demands in place, maybe incentives or easy-outs, or injury guaranteed compensation deals like Russell Wilson has, while Vikings may want to structure in some way to get void year and any other way to reduce his contract's cap hit or distribute it over years.

I think both are in amicable situation that they'd want to settle for a bridge QB tenure, where Vikings may draft a QB higher and let him sit like Love did with Packers. Cousins could shoot for playoffs while the sun shines for him in his remaining career. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I guess BB decided not to work there. He wants too much control.

I think it’s more the other way around, Jerry isn’t willing to give up the control and attention that would come with hiring the hoody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Raiders are hiring Antonio Pierce as its head coach, removing the interim tag.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-pierce-team-culture-led-220550049.html?contentType=VIDEO

https://theathletic.com/5204502/2024/01/19/antonio-pierce-hired-coach-raiders?source=user-shared-article

I think this was the right move personally.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Raiders are hiring Antonio Pierce as its head coach, removing the interim tag.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-pierce-team-culture-led-220550049.html?contentType=VIDEO

https://theathletic.com/5204502/2024/01/19/antonio-pierce-hired-coach-raiders?source=user-shared-article

Right hire and am happy for Antonio Pierce

On 1/18/2024 at 1:27 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

BB is doing a 2nd interview with the Falcons.

Falcons suits him, IMO, and he could make the D a Top 5 D in the league 

On 1/20/2024 at 9:24 AM, King Colt said:

Dan Campbell looks like a guy that could beat up Superman. The players love him and I have to believe the fans are pulling hard for him as well. Happy Birthday Joe Schmist age 92.

He wishes.

Titans hiring Brian Callahan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now 3 of 4 head coaches in AFC South are of an offensive background.  I heard it argued successfully that offensive coaches are better at adapting when their starting quarterback goes down.  After seeing what happened this past season it’s hard to argue otherwise.  

as much love as people want to throw at Ryan’s in Houston it’s fairly obvious that team runs through CJ Stroud.  They looked completely different when he was down those 2 weeks.

35 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Now 3 of 4 head coaches in AFC South are of an offensive background.  I heard it argued successfully that offensive coaches are better at adapting when their starting quarterback goes down.  After seeing what happened this past season it’s hard to argue otherwise.  

as much love as people want to throw at Ryan’s in Houston it’s fairly obvious that team runs through CJ Stroud.  They looked completely different when he was down those 2 weeks.

I don't believe that such a small sample is enough to come to that conclusion. The Steelers made the playoffs after their QB went down.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I don't believe that such a small sample is enough to come to that conclusion. The Steelers made the playoffs after their QB went down.

I don’t think it’s really comparable.  I would argue the Steelers don’t have a QB.  Certainly not one of the capabilities we saw out of Stroud 

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Steelers are without a QB even since Big Ben's final two years :funny:

Yet they still manage to salvage their seasons and get a decent record every year.

The Vikes did lose their QB and the season went downhill from there. @ArmchairQB The Vikings have an offensive-minded head coach and we could not save our season after Cousins went down.

3 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

I don’t think it’s really comparable.  I would argue the Steelers don’t have a QB.  Certainly not one of the capabilities we saw out of Stroud 

I could have left out the Steelers. My point was that It is a small sample. I think it was impressive that after losing several of their top offensive players, the Texans still managed to win enough to make the playoffs and win a playoff game.

I like the Callahan move.  He’s been around some good qbs and offenses.  Him and Levis as a pair intrigues me.

ill tell you this, the AFC south are no longer the pushovers of the NFL.  This division is going to be a gauntlet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

ill tell you this, the AFC south are no longer the pushovers of the NFL.  This division is going to be a gauntlet.

I agree. Each team has young players and fairly young head coaches. It is exciting. I think the NFC North minus the Vikings will be tough too. Hopefully the Vikings can draft a young QB and start rebuilding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Raiders are hiring Tom Telesco as GM. That's one less opening for Ed Dodds...

Interesting choice by the Raiders. Telesco got fired after that same team hung 63 on his ball club.

Dodds to the Chargers then? Alongside Michigan's coach

8 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I like the Callahan move.  He’s been around some good qbs and offenses.  Him and Levis as a pair intrigues me.

Yup….  Even this year I don’t think most were looking down on the AFC South.  

Right now, I think the NFC South is viewed as the weakest division.   Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte,  and Tampa.  Not a good team in the bunch.  They’re now the red headed step child.  

• Like 1

Bengals have promoted their QBs Coach, Dan Pitcher, to Offensive Coordinator.

He was a premier player at quarterback for Cortland State, worked in personnel for the Indianapolis Colts, led and helped create Taylor’s analytics and game management approach in 2019 before working alongside Burrow since 2020. He’s led third-down packages for Taylor and drawn rave reviews across the organization.

Taylor was grooming him for this role ever since the shift to Burrow’s quarterbacks coach. The Bengals needed to assure he didn’t leave for another job and left no doubt while those other teams circled. — Dehner Jr.

https://theathletic.com/5225571/2024/01/24/bengals-dan-pitcher-offensive-coordinator?source=user-shared-article