Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the league (Coaching News)

Happy2BeHere

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently pats made a succession pan a couple years ago for this to happen. I think it’s so dumb because you never know who would be available.

I would like to see McDaniel's go to Tennessee homer simpson happy dance GIF

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Crazy 

Inside stuff we just don't know. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

BREAKING NEWS:

JEROD MAYO per: Shefty is the next HeadCoach of the Patriots.

Not Vrabel.

No wonder the Titans did not have a trading partner. New England planned this hire ahead of time.

• Like 4

So they can write into the African Americans contract that he will be promoted to head coach once the existing coach leaves…but you can’t write this into a caucasian guys contract because it would violate the Rooney rule?

Anyone see a problem with that ??

11 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

So they can write into the African Americans contract that he will be promoted to head coach once the existing coach leaves…but you can’t write this into a caucasian guys contract because it would violate the Rooney rule?

That is a good question. Can it really be written in his contract that he will be hired? I'm really interested in knowing if in fact that was in his contract. I have a feeling that it was not.

Secondly, I believe that the Rooney Rule says that a team has to interview minority candidates (not just African Americans -- Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, etc.) when there is a coaching vacancy. I think it violates the Rooney Rule if they hire Jerod Mayo without conducting those interviews despite the fact that Jerod Mayo happens to be a member of a minority group.

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is a good question. Can it really be written in his contract that he will be hired? I'm really interested in knowing if in fact that was in his contract. I have a feeling that it was not.

Secondly, I believe that the Rooney Rule says that a team has to interview minority candidates (not just African Americans -- Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, etc.) when there is a coaching vacancy. I think it violates the Rooney Rule if they hire Jerod Mayo without conducting those interviews despite the fact that Jerod Mayo happens to be a member of a minority group.

Okay, I looked into it. This is from the Athletic:

"Mayo’s ascension has been long planned. The team never reached out to a single other person for the role, including hot names like Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel or even Ben Johnson, per league sources.

The Patriots wrote into his contract last January that Mayo would succeed Belichick as the next head coach. Because they communicated with the league that this clause existed, the Patriots were not required to conduct a full coaching search following the Rooney Rule, which typically requires teams to conduct in-person interviews with at least two external minority candidates. Mayo becomes the first Black non-interim head coach for the Patriots.

Even when well-known candidates became available this week, Robert and Jonathan Kraft stuck with their plan. They’ve been confident for over a year that Mayo will make a good head coach, and they didn’t deviate from that plan this week"

https://theathletic.com/5198294/2024/01/12/jerod-mayo-hiring-patriots-head-coach?source=user-shared-article

Edited by NFLfan
added link to article
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

You can and it's been done before, it just has to be in the contract and given to the league. The Seahawks did it with Mike Holmgren and Jim Mora. It's just rare to happen the only other time I can think of is here with Dungy to Caldwell.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He did?  How so?  He has been the inside linebacker coach.  

For 5 years, he has been the LBers coach. He has had several HC interviews before and has the pulse of that D. He has worked as Belichick's close assistant for the last 5 years, and is more than just an LB coach. Mayo was recruited by Belichick to get into the coaching ranks in 2019, so the old man believed in his abilities. That is why I said what I said. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

For 5 years, he has been the LBers coach. He has had several HC interviews before and has the pulse of that D. He has worked as Belichick's close assistant for the last 5 years, and is more than just an LB coach. Mayo was recruited by Belichick to get into the coaching ranks in 2019, so the old man believed in his abilities. That is why I said what I said. 

Patriots are in a good situation to get a good QB. They pick 3rd overall. The QBs they have now stink.

1. Chicago = Caleb Williams, I think they trade Fields and can probably get a round 2 pick for him.

2. Washington = Drake Maye

3. New England = Michael Penix Jr.

4, Arizona = Marvin Harrison Jr. for Murray.

5. Chargers = Rome Odunze, that would give Herbert major help.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Patriots are in a good situation to get a good QB. They pick 3rd overall. The QBs they have now stink.

1. Chicago = Caleb Williams, I think they trade Fields and can probably get a round 2 pick for him.

I think New England gets someone else and jumps back into Round 1 for Michael Penix Jr., I don't think Michael Penix Jr. goes in the first half of Round 1. They probably get Marvin Harrison Jr.  Just my opinion, of course.

Given his injury history and the fact that he got banged up versus Michigan actually works against him, IMO. I would not be shocked if he drops out of Round 1 like Will Levis and Geno Smith did, but if anything, I'd expect one of the Top of Round 2 teams to move back into end of Round 1 to get him.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think New England gets someone else and jumps back into Round 1 for Michael Penix Jr., I don't think Michael Penix Jr. goes in the first half of Round 1. They probably get Marvin Harrison Jr.  Just my opinion, of course.

Given his injury history and the fact that he got banged up versus Michigan actually works against him, IMO. I would not be shocked if he drops out of Round 1 like Will Levis and Geno Smith did, but if anything, I'd expect one of the Top of Round 2 teams to move back into end of Round 1 to get him.

Could be, they do need a QB badly, that we know. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He did?  How so?  He has been the inside linebacker coach.  

He is not being hired off the street. He has been coaching in New England for several years. That is what I think of when someone says one has "paid his dues". I think you may be saying that Mayo has not been a coordinator. I'm not sure if this is the first time someone who is not a coordinator has been named head coach. I don't think it is the first time but I am not sure.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He is not being hired off the street. He has been coaching in New England for several years. That is what I think of when someone says one has "paid his dues". I think you may be saying that Mayo has not been a coordinator. I'm not sure if this is the first time someone who is not a coordinator has been named head coach. I don't think it is the first time but I am not sure.

I'm sure it's not the first time.   Just seems weird.  They get rid of BB to hire a disciple of BBs.  I'm guessing scheme and philosophy is going to be very similar.   

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm sure it's not the first time.   Just seems weird.  They get rid of BB to hire a disciple of BBs.  I'm guessing scheme and philosophy is going to be very similar.   

They got rid of BB because the team has been losing the last couple of years. Just my guess. Also, if they really like Mayo, they may have thought they would lose him. Apparently, he has been pursued by other teams in the past couple of years.

I know nothing about Mayo, as I do not follow the Patriots.

44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They got rid of BB because the team has been losing the last couple of years. Just my guess. Also, if they really like Mayo, they may have thought they would lose him. Apparently, he has been pursued by other teams in the past couple of years.

I know nothing about Mayo, as I do not follow the Patriots.

It is likely Mayo is more receptive to having a GM, unlike Belichick who was also the GM, which was his big undoing. That would be my first educated guess since the Patriots have been at the receiving end of Belichick, the GM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is likely Mayo is more receptive to having a GM, unlike Belichick who was also the GM, which was his big undoing. That would be my first educated guess since the Patriots have been at the receiving end of Belichick, the GM.

Probably. From CBS News

Robert Kraft believes in Jerod Mayo

Yeah, that is a little obvious considering Kraft hired him without interviewing any other candidates. But this has been Kraft's plan.

That was clear last season when the Patriots gave Mayo an extension to keep him from taking head-coaching interviews elsewhere. The Panthers and the Browns were reportedly interested, but Mayo stayed in New England. His contract had a succession plan in it, which is why the Pats were able to hire him so quickly after parting ways with BBelichick

In his chat with reporters after moving on from Belichick, Kraft said that he hired Belichick in 1999 after he regretted not hiring him in 1996 when he left for the Jets with Bill Parcells. Kraft was not going to let that happen again with Mayo.

Expect much more collaboration under Mayo in nearly all aspects of the organization, since he won't have complete control like Belichick. And that isn't how Mayo works, anyways.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, I looked into it. This is from the Athletic:

"Mayo’s ascension has been long planned. The team never reached out to a single other person for the role, including hot names like Jim Harbaugh, Mike Vrabel or even Ben Johnson, per league sources.

The Patriots wrote into his contract last January that Mayo would succeed Belichick as the next head coach. Because they communicated with the league that this clause existed, the Patriots were not required to conduct a full coaching search following the Rooney Rule, which typically requires teams to conduct in-person interviews with at least two external minority candidates. Mayo becomes the first Black non-interim head coach for the Patriots.

Even when well-known candidates became available this week, Robert and Jonathan Kraft stuck with their plan. They’ve been confident for over a year that Mayo will make a good head coach, and they didn’t deviate from that plan this week"

https://theathletic.com/5198294/2024/01/12/jerod-mayo-hiring-patriots-head-coach?source=user-shared-article

So the way around the Rooney Rule is to do just that.  Get him a year or two ahead of time and put it in the contract. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

who do you think we will take or will we trade up or down

18 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

@NFLfan is there any indication that Flores might be leaving? There must be few interview requests at least. 

I have no idea. I have not seen any reports that any team has asked permission to speak with him. I don't think we will lose many assistant coaches. I hope we keep Flores. I would not mind if Ryan Grigson moves on to another team. haha

(I put moved this to this thread about coaching changes.)

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:41 AM, King Colt said:

The NE Pats are a terrible team in need of much repair. One could say Mayo will need a Miracle Whip to get that team back to winning.

If I were an Executive in the Patriots organization I would have advised "hold (up on) the mayo".

Mike Tomlin tells his players that we will coach in ‘24.

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-tomlin-tells-steelers-players-he-plans-on-coaching-team-in-2024

When is McCarthy going to get fired? Tomorrow? Thursday ?

many of the so called “pundits” have suggested that Jim harbaugh or BB be the one to take over for the cowboys. If I was Jerry I would not choose harbaugh that’s for sure. Said pundits at least said if BB were to be hired that would only happen if jones agrees to step back from it and let BB take full control more or less…which is what several of us here on the forum have said would have to happen for a BB/Jones situation to work.

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Harbaugh interviewed with the Falcons. Arthur Blank is serious about bringing a Super Bowl to Atlanta. First he interviews BB, now Harbaugh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-interview-jim-harbaugh-030452658.html

Belichick Monday, Harbaugh Tuesday for Atlanta.

Harbaugh needs a better QB. He may be able to get a Penix or Nix, that would be scary.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Harbaugh needs a better QB. He may be able to get a Penix or Nix, that would be scary.

I'm hoping Atlanta will sign Cousins so that Atlanta does not draft a rookie QB in the top 10 of the first round. That would make it easier for the Vikings to draft one of the top 3 QBs. 

• Like 1