Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the league (Coaching News)

Happy2BeHere

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ben Johnson is returning to the Lions.

He's holding out for Mike McCarthy or Nick Sirianni to be fired, not impressed by Commanders or Seahawks job, I guess.

Good for Lions and their supporters on this forum, like @2006Coltsbestever and @JoeyBlueSkies

Commanders, ok.. but he would have been a perfect fit for Seahawks offensive weapons. 

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Commanders, ok.. but he would have been a perfect fit for Seahawks offensive weapons. 

It’s possible they’re rebuilding and might trade Tyler Lockett and his contract. I wouldn’t mind getting him for his last 2-3 good years 

• Like 1

Not coaching news but Brady just accepted a 10 year analyst deal with fox.  I might not have bothered to post if it wasnt for so long but 10 years is quite a long contract

Guess its not going to be life after football for him, just more football.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Not coaching news but Brady just accepted a 10 year analyst deal with fox.  I might not have bothered to post if it wasnt for so long but 10 years is quite a long contract

He's pretty much football person, has bought stakes in Raiders ownership. He'll be very much involved for sure. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

That's awful. Greg Olsen was so good. I liked him better than Romo. He and Kevin was such a good team. Kevin now has to work with Brady. :(

15 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

BT?

Brady didn’t “just accept” a 10 year deal.   That deal was made in May of 22.   Not a typo.   That’s 21 months ago.  Brady joining Fox Sports is very VERY old news.   It goes into effect this coming season.  Brady has literally been practicing with Fox Sports for about a year and a half.  Said he wanted to be ready once he finally started.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

BT?

Brady didn’t “just accept” a 10 year deal.   That deal was made in May of 22.   Not a typo.   That’s 21 months ago.  Brady joining Fox Sports is very VERY old news.   It goes into effect this coming season.  Brady has literally been practicing with Fox Sports for about a year and a half.  Said he wanted to be ready once he finally started.  

Yeah i know sigh.  There had been some questions about when he would start and now its been announced.  Thanks for fact checking

Its in the news right now because an announcement has been made

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Dan Quinn going to Washington to be the new HC. Wonder who they’ll replace him with as their DC, and if any players will want to leave? 

Dan Quinn's Ds get exposed at the highest level by Shanahan offenses, it seems like. Matt LaFleur was from the same Shanahan tree. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:06 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He's pretty much football person, has bought stakes in Raiders ownership. He'll be very much involved for sure. 

He doesn't own any of the Raiders yet.   The owners have to vote

Greg Olsen will probably find another job. I liked his analysis, but am willing to give Tom Brady a chance. He knows football, though I wonder if he will show any bias towards a team and if he's an interesting speaker.  The network is paying Brady a boatload of money without even knowing how well he will do. They must have a lot of confidence in his broadcasting abilities. 

Greg Olsen was so good at broadcasting. He and Kevin Burkhardt were such a good team together. Too bad Brady is replacing Olsen.

I remember Kevin when he started as someone auditioning for a sports talk radio spot on the local radio station, WFAN in NY. I liked him a lot. He then went on to cover my baseball team, the Mets, interviewing players before and after the game. He has since moved on. I have always liked Kevin. I wish he and Greg Olsen could still be a team. 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:14 AM, jvan1973 said:

He doesn't own any of the Raiders yet.   The owners have to vote

Last time I saw anything on this, it sounded like he didn't have the support. They were offering him a stake at well below market value, and the other owners weren't going for it.

The deal was 10% ownership of the Raiders, for $175m, which would value the Raiders at $1.75 billion. The Commanders just sold for over $6 billion, so that doesn't make sense. That's a significant discount. It sounds like the deal is being adjusted, so I guess we'll see what happens.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10100411-nfl-rumors-tom-bradys-raiders-ownership-deal-not-dead-approval-vote-not-planned

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 11:13 AM, teganslaw said:

Greg Olsen will probably find another job. I liked his analysis, but am willing to give Tom Brady a chance. He knows football, though I wonder if he will show any bias towards a team and if he's an interesting speaker.  The network is paying Brady a boatload of money without even knowing how well he will do. They must have a lot of confidence in his broadcasting abilities. 

Brady has literally been training for the job since he signed his deal.   They want him to be good once he actually starts doing his job.   They don’t want him learning on the job, they want him ready on Day One. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brady has literally been training for the job since he signed his deal.   They want him to be good once he actually starts doing his job.   They don’t want him learning on the job, they want him ready on Day One. 

I wonder why Fox needed to replace Olsen. He was doing a great job. Are they expecting Brady to do a better job? Is this done to attract casual fans? I doubt that will work. Are they trying to attract Patriots fans?

I give CBS credit. Romo was not this superstar when they hired him.

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I wonder why Fox needed to replace Olsen. He was doing a great job. Are they expecting Brady to do a better job? Is this done to attract casual fans? I doubt that will work. Are they trying to attract Patriots fans?

I give CBS credit. Romo was not this superstar when they hired him.

I don’t think Fox felt there was a need to replace Olson.  As you say, he’s really good.   But Brady remains a HUGE name in the NFL and I think Fox feels he would be someone that would attract all types of fans, new and old.  Brady still moves the needle in ways most broadcasters never do.  

• Thanks 1

The Commanders coaching search reportedly did not go well. After Ben Johnson said he was stayin in Detroit, it upset the Commanders and they reported that Johnson did not interview well and they were not really interested in him. That seems childish. But others believed Johnson is to blame and hurt his career.

I agree with the author here:

If Josh McDaniels was able to get multiple chances in the NFL, Johnson should be just fine.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-there-drama-between-the-commanders-and-lions-oc-ben-johnson-201701577.html

The Commanders may feel spurned by Ben Johnson.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The Commanders coaching search reportedly did not go well. After Ben Johnson said he was stayin in Detroit, it upset the Commanders and they reported that Johnson did not interview well and they were not really interested in him. That seems childish. But others believed Johnson is to blame and hurt his career.

I agree with the author here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-there-drama-between-the-commanders-and-lions-oc-ben-johnson-201701577.html

The Commanders may feel spurned by Ben Johnson.

Commanders are Mid-Atlantic Panthers :funny:

Now I see why Ron Riveira was having that job, because no one else was having any of it. 

They could have just given the promotion to Bieniemy to see how it works out for him. 

Coaches go there to be Fed up Ex-es haha

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Commanders are Mid-Atlantic Panthers :funny:

Now I see why Ron Riveira was having that job, because no one else was having any of it. 

They could have just given the promotion to Bieniemy to see how it works out for him. 

Coaches go there to be Fed up Ex-es haha

I saw what you did there. Lol.

I wondered why they would hire Dan Quinn who has a lot of similarities to Ron Rivera. They have both been head coaches in the past, in the NFC, and have made it to the Super Bowl and lost. They are both defensive-minded coaches. They appear to be about the same age. Ben Johnson would have been the exact opposite (offensive coach, never been a head coach before, he would have been one of the youngest head coaches).

They must not have liked Bieniemy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I saw what you did there. Lol.

I wondered why they would hire Dan Quinn who has a lot of similarities to Ron Rivera. They have both been head coaches in the past, in the NFC, and have made it to the Super Bowl and lost. They are both defensive-minded coaches. They appear to be about the same age. Ben Johnson would have been the exact opposite (offensive coach, never been a head coach before, he would have been one of the youngest head coaches).

They must not have liked Bieniemy.

Bieniemy not getting a head coaching job is one of the most puzzling things I have ever seen. He has earned that chance IMO after how he helped the Chiefs win 2 SBs. 

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bieniemy not getting a head coaching job is one of the most puzzling things I have ever seen. He has earned that chance IMO after how he helped the Chiefs win 2 SBs. 

I think it's fair to say that the Chiefs won those 2 Superbowls more because of Andy Reid & Patrick Mahomes than their OC, especially if they win on Sunday. 

Josh McDaniels was on New England's coaching staff for all 6 of Brady's SB wins with the Patriots, and he blew both Head Coaching opportunities he got and finished a total of 12 games under .500 collectively. Some people are just better as Coordinators, like Norv Turner and many others.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What worked against him is inheriting an 8-8-1 team in the Commanders from the previous season and ending up at 4-13 with the offensive numbers taking a downturn as the year went on. They didn't see the rookie QB improve towards the end of the year. He actually took a step backwards. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Maybe Bieniemy could end up with the Chiefs, if they would give him another chance. I don't know how well he and Andy Reid got along, although Mahomes has said some complimentary things about Bieniemy. 

maybe they will just bieniemy’s if they work together. haha