Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Which they did when they took Taylor out and put Goodson in there.  Everyone knew Goodson wasn’t getting a handoff there which you can tell by the way the Texans played it. They played it for a pass to Pittman.  If nothing else Taylor on the field probably makes the defense stack the deck for him and opens up someone else.  Again, there were other options.  The play design was solid no one has argued that.  What people don’t like was the personal usage because putting the season in the hands of your back up QB and practice squad level RB with six career catches is a recipe for disaster and we saw the disaster in terms of how they didn’t execute it.

Okay you are trying to change history because they definitely were in man coverage with a run blitz, so no they didn't

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Okay you are trying to change history because they definitely were in man coverage with a run blitz, so no they didn't

fine let’s hang the banner didn’t make the playoffs but our coach called a great play design!  

21 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

you're too focused on the depth chart, instead of what the players role in the offense is. Moss isn't better at catching the ball than goodson even though he is 2nd in the depth chart. Goodson's role is as pass catching back, you combine the with Taylor's ankle was clearly not right, and that in practice Goodson was the one in. He was the right player for that play. if the ball was thrown not back-shoulder, it could have been a big play.

Goodsons role is to play when the others are unable to go.  If he was a good pass catching back he would be out there in pass catching situations.  He clearly is not.  He does not see the field.  And didn’t yesterday until Steichen got cute.  Taylor had 180 yards.  His best game this year.  He was playing on the final drive.  Moss was also available.  Coach blew it plain and simple.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

so we agree 4-5 yards which is roughly 12-15 feet, and you are saying two steps....

Yep. I have seen James White and so many RBs get low even in a stalemate IF they catch the ball. I wasn't worried about the what IFs with the distance at all. Once Bruce Arians yelled at Peyton when he said the WR he ignored in practice was just a foot open saying "that is open in the NFL".  

• Like 2

fine let’s hang the banner didn’t make the playoffs but our coach called a great play design!  

it's football, sometimes things just don't go your way even though everything was right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Goodsons role is to play when the others are unable to go.  If he was a good pass catching back he would be out there in pass catching situations.  He clearly is not.  He does not see the field.  And didn’t yesterday until Steichen got cute.  Taylor had 180 yards.  His best game this year.  He was playing on the final drive.  Moss was also available.  Coach blew it plain and simple.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Nope Shane is unquestionable better raise that our coach called a great play design but didn’t make the playoffs banner and tear that Manning statue down and build a statue of Shane the greatest play designer in NFL history because apparently that’s what matters not if the team actually picked up the 1st down or not…

Just now, Zoltan said:

it's football, sometimes things just don't go your way even though everything was right. 

It wasn’t right,  Goodson, with his six career catches shouldn’t have been on the field and the target of the most important play of the season.  This is the same crud people got mad at Reich for (rightfully so) when he would take Taylor out and try to force the ball with Hines.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

All those years, we admired how Brady hit Welker in stride, Edelman in stride, James White in stride at the right height etc. and when you watch the lesser QBs, you can tell the differences easily. 

I don’t know what is with the post Manning Colts not being able to hit guys in stride on simple short routes. Downs and JT should be shredding defences on wick hitters.  Hopefully next year!

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

dude come on, you know thats not how it works

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t know what is with the post Manning Colts not being able to hit guys in stride on simple short routes. Downs and JT should be shredding defences on wick hitters.  Hopefully next year!

it would be a pretty good bet it’s the qb!

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t know what is with the post Manning Colts not being able to hit guys in stride on simple short routes. Downs and JT should be shredding defenses on quick hitters.  Hopefully next year!

The last guy that did hit the pass catchers in stride was Philip Rivers hitting Pittman so many times for YAC, it was a pleasure to watch, I do miss good QB play.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hoping getting Richardson back next year we see this kind of jump from Pierce  next year. Look what happens when you have a QB.

Hopefully Richardson is what Pierce needs to get going.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hoping getting Richardson back next year we see this kind of jump from Pierce  next year. Look what happens when you have a QB.

Still, I would like some infusion of talent there to go with Pierce and Pittman, a vet and a Day 1/Day 2 draft pick at minimum. If we play offenses like the Dolphins and Bills, we need some firepower of our own with the way NFL limits what Ds can do. It also keeps the better QBs off the field too.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Still, I would like some infusion of talent there to go with Pierce and Pittman, a vet and a Day 1/Day 2 draft pick at minimum. If we play offenses like the Dolphins and Bills, we need some firepower of our own with the way NFL limits what Ds can do. It also keeps the better QBs off the field too.

running the ball keeps better qb’s off the field not throwing the ball more.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Still, I would like some infusion of talent there to go with Pierce and Pittman, a vet and a Day 1/Day 2 draft pick at minimum.

You gotta add a couple of more bodies to that room and I don’t just mean go oh Duhlin’s back we are fine!

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

so we agree 4-5 yards which is roughly 12-15 feet, and you are saying two steps....

Average WALKING stride is 2.5 feet for an average man. 6 steps. Football players are larger but regardless. Two parties moving towards eachother is roughly half that, so 3 steps. Add in running and you easily have two steps or less.

You gotta add a couple of more bodies to that room and I don’t just mean go oh Duhlin’s back we are fine!

Yes, absolutely. When was the last time the Cowboys or even Titans say "hey, we don't have even have a second tier guy that can line up outside, we have only 2 guys capable of it" when a guy like Pittman can't play?

17 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

How many times did Reich put it in JT's hands with the game on the line ONLY to get stuffed? 3rd and two or 4th and one with that same old run up the middle crap over and over against a stacked box? We constantly complained and sometimes it would even be Hines put in that position. Teams KEY on your best players in that situation ESPECIALLY with a rb!! Beautiful play designs have been refreshing this year.

Shane has been pulling the okey doke ALL season long and it got us to this point so I'm not whining about a WIDE OPEN back that dropped a suspect pass from an erratic backup qb who Shane has ridden the WHOLE year. Like Shane said he has confidence in all his NFL roster players to make a play when called upon and the MORE I watch analysts speak upon the nasty unsuspected play call that caught the Texans off guard the more I can't wait to see Shane with some more EXPLOSIVE talent. 

Great play design?  The guy can’t get our number two receiver open all year.  17 games and something like 30 catches.  Seriously.  He had all year to get him involved and that’s the best he can do.  The jury is still out on Steichen.  People loved Reich early and he got us to a playoff game.  Things can change pretty quickly.  I’m hoping he can do it but his game management, situational football decisions, player utilization and game planning need a lot of attention.  It was a good season but the reason we didn’t make the playoffs is on him.

4 minutes ago, husker61 said:

running the ball keeps better qb’s off the field not throwing the ball more.

It depends on the other team you are playing. If that team is stout in the middle, short passes have been used in the modern NFL in lieu of the run. Patriots have been known to throw 50 passes or run the ball 40 times, based on the D they were playing. They weren't going to use the same formula for each team if they knew they had matchups to exploit to move the chains. Ultimately, need a QB to move the chains consistently and not sporadically in the passing game.

3 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Saints up 31-17

bengals up 31-0 

seahawks later 

someone mentioned that those 3 win and we move up to 14th in draft

That is interesting...more blue chippers to target in the Top 15 does give Ballard options, even if he decides to move back. Some fans won't be fans of him moving back though, some I am sure have gotten tired of it.

Painful loss.

My take.. not a great throw by Minshew, not a great attempt Goodson.

Was okay with him in. JT looked hurt and having him in was the reason he became open as they caught Texans offguard, who were focusing on stacking the box and man covering Ptt and Downs.

Season has been fun though overall and better than I expected after AR went out.

Defence though is a problem, just can't get to the QB when it matters. Get picked apart by Opposing QB's in the soft zone.

Not sustainable and I would make a change here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s a hall of fame QB talking about why Minshew threw the ball like that. Come on man. He talked about how the route should have been run.

He talked about how he liked to run it.

He is talking about a slower developing play with probably more blocking options.

We were using Goodsons speed to get out and up for 1st down yardage.

Please watch for this play being used. I just watched the Jags run it the exact angle we did, to the right, and guess where Lawrence threw it? He didn’t screw it up. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is interesting...more blue chippers to target in the Top 15 does give Ballard options, even if he decides to move back. Some fans won't be fans of him moving back though, some I am sure have gotten tired of it.

Always moves back except last year of course.

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Personally I look at each draft differently.  I think you make a decision based who is on there.  If there are two or three guys you like or no guys you really like you move back and clearly that changes with every draft.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s too much logic for a lot of posters on this forum doug. We’ve been pounding it for hours. 

Sure, Strong, fans disagree with you so they must lack logic. There is plenty of room for different opinions about this play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Sure, Strong, fans disagree with you so they must lack logic. There is plenty of room for different opinions about this play. 

I’ve seen more contradiction from the fans arguing about this play than I’ve ever seen seen on this forum. Hence the logic statement. 

It was also a sarcastic joke. lol. But go on with the butt hurting