Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question about 06 Colts

tucky89

Do they win the SB if NE doesn't upset SD. Thus, we go to their house for the AFC title game?

Chargers gave Manning fits for some reason. Sanders being back was a huge boost. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Do they win the SB if NE doesn't upset SD. Thus, we go to their house for the AFC title game?

Chargers gave Manning fits for some reason. Sanders being back was a huge boost. 

Thoughts?

I still think we win, it was our year. Chargers were a very good team, but Peyton's legacy was on the line that season after losing in 2004 and 2005. We won at Baltimore besides beating the Pats in 2006. 

If I had to rank SB winning greatest teams since the realignment in 2002. I would rank our 2006 team 2nd only behind the 2004 Pats which was their best team IMO. Tom was becoming a great QB in 2004 and they had a great Coach, defense, and SP teams. I even think we would beat the 2019 Chiefs; our defense was better is why, we had just as many weapons on offense than they had in 2019, and the QBs offset one another, Peyton was just as great as Mahomes is - so they would not have that advantage like they have over most teams. Once Bob Sanders came back, our D was top notch for that 1 year. Freeney was a superior Pass Rusher as well.

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

This was something a lot of fans were really glad happened after that year was all said and done. I’m not so sure the Colts beat SD that year. 

I got more satisfaction out of beating the Pats, but I think we would have beat anyone that season. 

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Bob Sanders and Booger McFarland were the two catalyst that season. I agree 2004 was the best team it’s sad it didn’t  translate into a ring.

I thought the 2005 team was the best.  Unfortunate tragedy derailed the momentum.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I thought the 2005 team was the best.  Unfortunate tragedy derailed the momentum.  

The 2005 team should have won the SB. To me 2006 were the better team because they filled 2 key positions and made them better = FG Kicker and DT. Vinatieri and McFarland made a world of difference in the playoffs compared to what we had in 2005. Without Vinatieri, we may have lost to the Ravens. McFarland was the fat body we needed to stop the run and help Freeney and Mathis out. Bob Sanders was a better player too in 2006. We weren't blowing teams out in 2006 like we were in 2005 but the 2006 team knew how to win (more experienced) after losing from 2003-2005. 

17 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Thoughts?

Well this was certainly brought up a lot by Chargers fans back then...I think to feel better about losing at home to NE.

We will never know the answer of could Indy have beaten SD that year, but the truth is at that time NE completely had the Colts number. To me at the time it was no more of a relief to play at home vs NE than to travel to San Diego.

I’ll tell you what, when I found out NE beat SD I jumped for joy because I knew we were going to the SB.  

SD were built to beat us.  Strong corners, great pass rush, and a run game to keep Peyton off the field.  

To answer your question, I think we would’ve lost to SD.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think we win, it was our year. Chargers were a very good team, but Peyton's legacy was on the line that season after losing in 2004 and 2005. We won at Baltimore besides beating the Pats in 2006. 

we beat the Chiefs, who had one of the top rushing games on offense that season (Larry Johnson had about 1,800 yards rushing that season), while we had a horrible run D all year...The Ravens had the #1 D that season... The Pats had the #2 D and # 7 offense...   I think we would have won either way... a big part of me also thinks that we would have won in 2009, had we played our starters the whole year and gone for the undefeated season...

I think 2005 was probably our best team...and we were rusty because every year as soon as we locked up our spot in the playoffs, we rested starters... and we were a timing and rhythm offense.  You take that timing away, and we looked rusty by the time we played our first playoff game each year (normally having a bye in the 1st round).

SD was no joke, I remember as much as I hated NE I was hoping we'd avoid SD.

Thats when Merriman was all world and Castillo was a beast on their defense.

They were one of those teams that would just always give us fits.

I bet if we played them 100 times at any site they'd beat us 75 times those days.