*DeForest Buckner extension $17M

5 million for in season transactions

1. Jared Verse DE FSU 6'4 260lbs 

2. Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia 6'4 310lbs 

3. Jermaine Burton WR Alabama 6' 195lbs 

*3. Michael Pratt QB Tulane 6'3 220lbs

Trade Ryan Kelly and our 7th

To

Washington Commanders for pick 100 (49ers comp pick recieved w/Chase Young Trade)

History with similar value: "The Raiders have finalized a deal that is sending Hudson and a 2021 seventh-round pick to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for a 2021 third-round selection"

4. Cedric Grey LB UNC 6'3 235lbs

5. Marshawn Lloyd RB USC 5'9 210lbs

6. Gabe Hall DT Baylor 6"6 287lbs

Minor notes

Not giving Paye 5th year deal but I leave the door open 

AP is WR2 on a cheap rookie deal with Austin Dulin coming back and Jermaine Burton we have depth if any of the 3 goes down

Letting Gardner Minshew walk, and having Ehlinger and Pratt battle it out for backup 

Sedrick Van Pran steps into the starting C position 

Piggy Back with a few tweaks 

Grover Stewart - $10M

*suspension 

Michael Pittman Jr - $23M

*getting him closer to DK Metcalf 

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $4M

Ronnie Harrison Jr -$1M

*depth

Rigoberto Sanchez - $2M

Danny Pinter- $1M

*depth

Total — $44M -Total $ to spend is 75M

We will need at least $6M to sign rookies leaving a whopping $22M "free"

Noah Igbinoghene CB- $2M

Perrion Winfrey DT- $1M

To

Washington Commanders for pick 100 (49ers comp pick recieved w/Chase Young Trade)

History with similar value: "The Raiders have finalized a deal that is sending Hudson and a 2021 seventh-round pick to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for a 2021 third-round selection"

Minor notes

AP is WR2 on a cheap rookie deal with Austin Dulin coming back and Jermaine Burton we have depth if any of the 3 goes down

Letting Gardner Minshew walk, and having Ehlinger and Pratt battle it out for backup 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

I personally think AP is a WR3/4 at best.  Until his hands get better at holding onto a ball and not letting them slip through, he'll never be more than that IMO.  He reminds me of a lesser talented Alvin Harper for the Cowboys during their heyday.

8 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Grover Stewart - $10M

*suspension 

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $4M

Ronnie Harrison Jr -$1M

*depth

Rigoberto Sanchez - $2M

Danny Pinter- $1M

*depth

Noah Igbinoghene CB- $2M

Perrion Winfrey DT- $1M

To

Minor notes

Grover Stewart - $10M

*suspension 

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $4M

Ronnie Harrison Jr -$1M

*depth

Rigoberto Sanchez - $2M

Danny Pinter- $1M

*depth

Noah Igbinoghene CB- $2M

Perrion Winfrey DT- $1M

To

Minor notes

Thanks for adding to the thread

Some thoughts

Verse as an option at DE in draft. He isnt the best in sacks but the kid adds a significant number of pressures

Van Pran in round 2 - I dont think we are ready to move on from Kelly yet, but Van Pran appears to be a stud

Love Gray as a starting SSLB for this team. 

Dislikes 

On Burton

I had to research him and found this

"After Alabama’s loss to Tennessee in 2022, Burton lost his cool as Tennessee Volunteers fans rushed the field. Burton struck a female Tennessee fan as she skirted past him in celebration".

This would seem to disqualify him from the Colts

Overall... In my VERY humble and low value opinion, Going into the draft we needed a speedy separation WR (To open the offense), We need a playmaking CB, We need a play making FS, We need a SSLB, We need to add to the pass rush. (No order) 

Verse would add value at DE rotation, Gray would be an immediate starter at SSLB.   

The goal of the offseason is to take a 9 or 10 win team to to a 12-13 win team. 

We would still need WR/CB/FS

Again thanks for responding..... these "What if" scenarios are fun to build

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Some thoughts

Verse as an option at DE in draft. He isnt the best in sacks but the kid adds a significant number of pressures

Van Pran in round 2 - I dont think we are ready to move on from Kelly yet, but Van Pran appears to be a stud

Dislikes 

On Burton

"After Alabama’s loss to Tennessee in 2022, Burton lost his cool as Tennessee Volunteers fans rushed the field. Burton struck a female Tennessee fan as she skirted past him in celebration".

Overall... In my VERY humble and low value opinion, Going into the draft we needed a speedy separation WR (To open the offense), We need a playmaking CB, We need a play making FS, We need a SSLB, We need to add to the pass rush. (No order) 

Verse would add value at DE rotation, Gray would be an immediate starter at SSLB.   

I'm not sold on Jared Verse.  He had zero splash plays through like the first 3/4 of the season.  Then, finally, he gets 9 sacks.  But 5 of his 9 sacks came in 2 games.  I really don't think of him as a step-up from what we already have.  I'm not opposed to adding him to the roster.  But if you're looking to draft "Rare Air" players, especially early in the 1st round, I don't think he rates.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I personally think AP is a WR3/4 at best.  Until his hands get better at holding onto a ball and not letting them slip through, he'll never be more than that IMO.  He reminds me of a lesser talented Alvin Harper for the Cowboys during their heyday.

I can see that, if we look at it now Downs is probably WR2. I don't think we will cut AP, and I think someone will have to beat him out for his field time which is alot. AP brings blocking and effort because he's not out there jogging even though the ball doesn't comes his way. Trust me I was ready to write him off but let's see him with AR

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Some thoughts

Dislikes 

On Burton

So on the Burton issue.... Saban isn't a look the other way type of coach. Im sure this has been addressed and its probably more context around it. Also don't forget Bobby Okereke wasn't squeaky clean coming out of college. Ballard still chose him and we didn't have any issues with him. 

I agree mostly about Verse need that added depth and can become a impact player because DeForest Buckner does wonders taking on double teams.

As far as Kelly, definitely want to do right by the guy. He has had alot of trauma in this town. He is playing exceptional this season so why not make it a win/win and get something for him instead of taking a chance he will retire or leave in free agency next year?

Remember you gotta let guys develop. JuJu maybe that guy at CB, we haven't seen what cross can do full time at FS. The Patriots killed for years with a slot guy which we have because Randy Moss as great as he was didn't win a championship for them.

Love hearing different opinions honestly I think we need a dynamic TE more so than that WR. But hey thats why we here lets debate

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm not sold on Jared Verse.  He had zero splash plays through like the first 3/4 of the season.  Then, finally, he gets 9 sacks.  But 5 of his 9 sacks came in 2 games.  I really don't think of him as a step-up from what we already have.  I'm not opposed to adding him to the roster.  But if you're looking to draft "Rare Air" players, especially early in the 1st round, I don't think he rates.

Last year he burst onto the scene this year the opposing teams zeroed in on him. Hopefully he continues to grow and develop but playing next to Buckner and Grover will help. He also helps us to evaluate Paye, we aren't force to extend him and if we get the same production thats money we can allocate elsewhere. I like his motor, he's a great run stopper and he can gets sacks day 1 in the NFL if he's left one on one... I understand if you feel like he's underwhelming as a prospect everyone got their own cup of tea. 

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I believe our best bet is to get a FA splash Defensive end

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 10:22 AM, richard pallo said:

The only players I would put a priority on bringing back are Pittman, Blackmon, and Moore.  I think I would let Grover walk for that money.  Especially after the suspension.  I think we could find a good replacement for less money like we did with Yannick.  I would like Lewis back.  We are deep enough with out Moss at RB imo.  Need a punter of course and Minschew at the right price.  If Higgins or Ridley hit FA I would go after them.  Don't think they will though.  So plan B would be to trade our 1st pick for a WR1.  That brings immediate help to AR for the offense.  That one player alone should make a huge difference for us.  If we are fortunate enough to land a free agent WR then that opens up a lot of possibilities for our first pick.  But securing a proven bona fide WR1 is now the number one priority for me.  We would need a lot of luck to hit on one in the draft.  Most likely he would not be a significant contributor from the start.  I am all in on the Diggs approach.  Trade for the WR if there is no one in FA.  All we have to do is look at how well the Pierce pick has looked.  Pittman took a little time and Downs might as well.  Time to get the alpha WR1 right now this off season.  JMO. 

I disagree here.  As has been said before, the highest paid positions are QB, DE, and LT.  I think our number priority is a premier DE.  We don't have one on the team that keeps Offensive Cooridinators up at night.  I think we have enough playmakers on O, although I'm not against another WR.  I just feel DE is the priority.   

On 12/25/2023 at 2:20 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I think the team is sold on AR5 as QB1. We could save some money and not resign Minchew but he is a great back up

Linebacker IS a need but I view it behind Stud DE    Playmaker FS and  CB

This year has been good and bad for a variety of reasons.  Minshew being able to compete coming off the bench is great for the fans, team, coaches and player development, but hurts our overall draft pick this April (okay big deal, I would take the first benefits over the last negative).  We have been able to make the most out of a bad (AR going down) situation.  

The biggest impact cannot really be quantified, and its a big negative- not having AR on the field all year taking valuable reps. Weather AR played well this year never really mattered.  The fact that he got valuable reps and we saw some growth and improvement and chemistry with his guys- this was always the most important thing for this whole season....and it was robbed from us. 

What makes it even more painful is that AR played a LOT better than a lot of us assumed he would right out of the gate.  What could this kid's ceiling actually be?  In his limited action he looked great and very explosive and pretty raw.  He clearly needed those reps and it was going to be a thrill to watch him utilize them. 

But the caveat is the thing that scares me the most...Even when he was not shut down for the season, Anthony missed a significant amount of time for various different ailments.  It wasn't just one freak injury....it was like 3 or 4 of them.  I am more scared that the guy just simply isn't durable, and what makes him the biggest threat on the field and the reason we took him at 4 is also the same reason he is on bench in a sling.  If he doesn't become some form of Jalen Hurts style of passer(less risky running, half read options, more disciplined QB play and throwing into accurate windows), I am legitimately concerned he will have a short career. 

Point being- We lost the most valuable thing here in development time for our QB.  We had the advantage of him being 21 (22 for his developmental year). Now his age is more irrelevant since next year will now be that developmental year.  Same goes for enjoying five full years of having a QB on a rookie deal....now we will also probably have to roster a semi-expensive backup to insure ourselves that we can repeat a worst case scenario like this year. 

While this season has been fun, and good for fans- I might say that it was a big of a NET LOSS for our Colts.  Will definitely revisit this logic in late January and hope we mop the floor with the Texicans this Saturday night!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nevbot said:

This year has been good and bad for a variety of reasons.  Minshew being able to compete coming off the bench is great for the fans, team, coaches and player development, but hurts our overall draft pick this April (okay big deal, I would take the first benefits over the last negative).  We have been able to make the most out of a bad (AR going down) situation.  

The biggest impact cannot really be quantified, and its a big negative- not having AR on the field all year taking valuable reps. Weather AR played well this year never really mattered.  The fact that he got valuable reps and we saw some growth and improvement and chemistry with his guys- this was always the most important thing for this whole season....and it was robbed from us. 

What makes it even more painful is that AR played a LOT better than a lot of us assumed he would right out of the gate.  What could this kid's ceiling actually be?  In his limited action he looked great and very explosive and pretty raw.  He clearly needed those reps and it was going to be a thrill to watch him utilize them. 

But the caveat is the thing that scares me the most...Even when he was not shut down for the season, Anthony missed a significant amount of time for various different ailments.  It wasn't just one freak injury....it was like 3 or 4 of them.  I am more scared that the guy just simply isn't durable, and what makes him the biggest threat on the field and the reason we took him at 4 is also the same reason he is on bench in a sling.  If he doesn't become some form of Jalen Hurts style of passer(less risky running, half read options, more disciplined QB play and throwing into accurate windows), I am legitimately concerned he will have a short career. 

Point being- We lost the most valuable thing here in development time for our QB.  We had the advantage of him being 21 (22 for his developmental year). Now his age is more irrelevant since next year will now be that developmental year.  Same goes for enjoying five full years of having a QB on a rookie deal....now we will also probably have to roster a semi-expensive backup to insure ourselves that we can repeat a worst case scenario like this year. 

While this season has been fun, and good for fans- I might say that it was a big of a NET LOSS for our Colts.  Will definitely revisit this logic in late January and hope we mop the floor with the Texicans this Saturday night!  

I dont disagree, but we werent going to win a SB this year, with or without AR5

He did get some meaningful snaps in preseason, and I am sure that he is picking things up this year.

The coaching staff has a feel for what works for him, and we should see some improvement next year

I saw enough from this team, that if we make some prudent moves in the offseason, we CAN compete as one of the top teams in the AFC.

This team is lacking that DE that frightens the other team, the FS that is roaming the field taking interceptions and knocking down passes, the WR that can take the top off the defense. We lastly need another LB that can make plays.

We can probably get 3 of the 4 in this upcoming draft

• Like 1

You want the fix.  You can't handle the fix. 

Own FA unsigned

DT Grover Stewart – replaced with Justin Madubuke as the Colts go younger

SS Julian Blackmon – Cross playing well earned starting role

DT Taven Bryan – Nichols has starting experience with the Bears and Raiders and slight improvement over Bryan who never lived up to R1 selection

P Rigoberto Sanchez – replaced with Tommy Townsend

WR Isaiah McKenzie – susp

OL Danny Pinter – 

Edge Genard Avery

CB Darrell Baker Jr.

FS Henry Black

OC Jack Anderson

WR Juwann Winfree

CB Tony Brown - susp

Resigned

QB Gardner Minshew 7m

WR1 Michael Pittman Jr. 5-year 90m total, 40m guaranteed, 21m signing bonus – CBS projects 4-years 90.8m (22.7m APY)

Edge Tyquan Lewis 3m

RB Zack Moss 3m

NCB Kenny Moore 9m

FS Ronnie Harrison

LDE Jacob Martin

MLB Segun Olubi – ERFA tender

SLB Cameron McGrone – ERFA tender

FA Signing

LG/OC Trystan Colon (Cardinals)

IDL Justin Madubuke (Ravens) – CBS projects 4-years 81.2m (20.3m APY)

LDT Poona Ford (Bills) - Adebawore shocked how badly has played and Ford is an upgrade adding solid depth behind Buckner

RDT Bilal Nichols (Raiders) - Madubuke is the starter, but Nichols adds quality rotational starting abilities. 

WLB-ST Joe Bachie (Bengals) 

FS Geno Stone (Ravens) - CBS projects 4-years 40m 13m APY - Stone played well and should compete with Harrison for starting role

WR2 Tee Higgins (Bengals) - CBS projects 4-years 66.3m (16.5m APY) – immediate upgrade over Pierce while Pierce still adds value

P Tommy Townsend (Chiefs) – 4m/yr – insane not really Townsend expected to break the bank for Punters and command top dollar.  An All-Pro in 2022 and ranks in the top 10 in the NFL.  In 2021 finished second in net yards per punt and 1st in 2022.  The Colts are already over-paying Sanchez more than Townsend is making now and nowhere near as great.

Draft

Round 1

LCB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo) – add a shutdown corner

Round 2

OC/RG Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon) – Kelly’s future replacement but also capable playing RG

Round 3

WR-X Tory Horton (Colorado State) PR to replace McKenzie but adds needed depth behind Pittman

Round 4

WR-SL Malik Washington (Virginia) – Downs is the future but add a very capable backup

Round 5

RB Ray Davis (Kentucky) - Solid college career earned college football midseason all-America Third Team.  Adds insurance behind Taylor/Moss.  

Round 6

LCB Willie Roberts (Louisiana Tech) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Second Team.  With Brents and Jones locking down the right side both Mitchell and Roberts fill the voids on the left with Kenny Moore back doing what he does best at nickel.  

Round 7

WR-X Hayden Hatten (Idaho) Solid college career.  In 2022 had 1223 receiving yards, 17 contested catches with 39 explosive plays of 15+ yards earning an elite PFF grade of 91.9. Hatten has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.  Could end up being this year's Puka Nacua.

Bottom lines the Colts add multiple offensive weapons for AR while adding JPJ to the OL.  On defense the Colts add quality depth with Ford and Nichols on the DL while getting a young equivalent for Stewart in Madubuke still creating a dynamic tandem with Bucker.  Adding a true shutdown corner with Mitchell will help our young DBs.  Time will tell how Cross and Stone/Harrison will play out next season.  Our edge players have had a decent season, and all have had their moments this season so didn't see an immediate need same goes for our linebackers.  Still some good things have seen from McGrone, Stuard and Olubi.  The team has done well with Minshew but again the added weapons of wide receivers should help AR.  Might still be some questions at tight end but like what have seen from Mallory and at times with Granson.  Woods has got to come back healthy but now some questions about Ogletree's future that hopefully will get resolved as he showed lots of promise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Own FA unsigned

DT Taven Bryan – Nichols has starting experience with the Bears and Raiders and slight improvement over Bryan who never lived up to R1 selection

OL Danny Pinter – 

Edge Genard Avery

CB Darrell Baker Jr.

FS Henry Black

OC Jack Anderson

WR Juwann Winfree

CB Tony Brown - susp

Resigned

QB Gardner Minshew 7m

WR1 Michael Pittman Jr. 5-year 90m total, 40m guaranteed, 21m signing bonus – CBS projects 4-years 90.8m (22.7m APY)

Edge Tyquan Lewis 3m

RB Zack Moss 3m

NCB Kenny Moore 9m

FS Ronnie Harrison

LDE Jacob Martin

FA Signing

LDT Poona Ford (Bills) - Adebawore shocked how badly has played and Ford is an upgrade adding solid depth behind Buckner

RDT Bilal Nichols (Raiders) - Madubuke is the starter, but Nichols adds quality rotational starting abilities. 

FS Geno Stone (Ravens) - CBS projects 4-years 40m 13m APY - Stone played well and should compete with Harrison for starting role

WR2 Tee Higgins (Bengals) - CBS projects 4-years 66.3m (16.5m APY) – immediate upgrade over Pierce while Pierce still adds value

P Tommy Townsend (Chiefs) – 4m/yr – insane not really Townsend expected to break the bank for Punters and command top dollar.  An All-Pro in 2022 and ranks in the top 10 in the NFL.  In 2021 finished second in net yards per punt and 1st in 2022.  The Colts are already over-paying Sanchez more than Townsend is making now and nowhere near as great.

Draft

Round 1

Round 2

OC/RG Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon) – Kelly’s future replacement but also capable playing RG

Round 3

WR-X Tory Horton (Colorado State) PR to replace McKenzie but adds needed depth behind Pittman

Round 4

WR-SL Malik Washington (Virginia) – Downs is the future but add a very capable backup

Round 5

RB Ray Davis (Kentucky) - Solid college career earned college football midseason all-America Third Team.  Adds insurance behind Taylor/Moss.  

Round 6

LCB Willie Roberts (Louisiana Tech) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Second Team.  With Brents and Jones locking down the right side both Mitchell and Roberts fill the voids on the left with Kenny Moore back doing what he does best at nickel.  

Round 7

WR-X Hayden Hatten (Idaho) Solid college career.  In 2022 had 1223 receiving yards, 17 contested catches with 39 explosive plays of 15+ yards earning an elite PFF grade of 91.9. Hatten has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.  Could end up being this year's Puka Nacua.

Bottom lines the Colts add multiple offensive weapons for AR while adding JPJ to the OL.  On defense the Colts add quality depth with Ford and Nichols on the DL while getting a young equivalent for Stewart in Madubuke still creating a dynamic tandem with Bucker.  Adding a true shutdown corner with Mitchell will help our young DBs.  Time will tell how Cross and Stone/Harrison will play out next season.  Our edge players have had a decent season, and all have had their moments this season so didn't see an immediate need same goes for our linebackers.  Still some good things have seen from McGrone, Stuard and Olubi.  The team has done well with Minshew but again the added weapons of wide receivers should help AR.  Might still be some questions at tight end but like what have seen from Mallory and at times with Granson.  Woods has got to come back healthy but now some questions about Ogletree's future that hopefully will get resolved as he showed lots of promise. 

How much money did we spend and do you feel like we have to over pay for free agents? (Not a big market and scheme fit)

13 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Own FA unsigned

OL Danny Pinter – 

Edge Genard Avery

CB Darrell Baker Jr.

FS Henry Black

OC Jack Anderson

WR Juwann Winfree

CB Tony Brown - susp

Resigned

QB Gardner Minshew 7m

Edge Tyquan Lewis 3m

RB Zack Moss 3m

NCB Kenny Moore 9m

FS Ronnie Harrison

LDE Jacob Martin

FA Signing

Draft

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Thanks for adding

I like round 1, 2 in the draft as we need a CB on the other side and someone who could play RG until Kelly retires

Higgins seems like a WR like Pittman , big and strong, contested catch monster.... He ran a mid 4.55 at his combine

I personally believe that this team needs a speedy defense stretching WR ..... someone that would keep these defenses from playing 8 man boxes constantly. lastly Spotrac says that Higgens will get 22.5M.

I think we HAVE to get that WR and DE for this team to move to the next level

But...... What do I know?  :)

On 12/25/2023 at 5:30 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Regardless of the outcome of the game yesterday, I am STILL very happy with this coach and team....... I was expecting only 4-5 wins.

But I think we are all in agreement.....  This team has some holes to fill in the offseason and we need health at QB position for AR5

If I look at Colts FAs, I think these amounts would bring these needed players back, some of these numbers come from an Oct.  Stampede Blue article that I tweaked.

Grover Stewart - $12M

Michael Pittman Jr - $22M

Kenny Moore - $9M

Gardner Minshew - $7M

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $6M

Zack Moss - $3M

Rigoberto Sanchez - $3M

Total — $65M -Total $ to spend is 75M

We will need at least 6M to sign rookies leaving a whopping $4M "free".

Of those above, resign Pittmann, Stewart, Moore, Blackmon and Sanchez.

Let Minshew and the rest walk.

Yes, people love Minshew, but he´s nothing but a backup and won't take us further than this year.

4th and 1 and he can´t make the pass when it counts the most.... sorry.. but im done with him.

Anthony Richardson needs to be healthy all of next season, and though I like him as a person, I honestly think he´s made of glass.

I don't think he will stay healthy and within 3 years he´s gone from the league.... theres just to much RGIII over him, and we all know how that one ended.

• Like 1

It was from 17 to 6. 

Based on Drafttek’s points chart. 

• #6 is worth 1600 points. 
  • #17 is worth 950, #49 worth 410 and next years 2nd I assumend worth last pick of the round #64 - 270 point. Total 1630.

This is absolutely the bare minimum it would cost us to move up. Moving up in the 1st generally has an extra cost, so in reality it would probably cost at least one more pick. 

• Like 1

Right now, I have zero idea how FA would turn out; thus, unable to make a well-informed draft decision. This draft attempt (on Fanspeak) assumes that we re-sign most of our own and have minimal FA acquisitions.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 171022.jpg

1. Malik Nabers (WR) - gives us a legit 1-2nd option so that defenses cannot key in on MP2. With Josh Downs also coming on, this would give us a very solid if not elite WR group.

2. T'Vondre Sweat (NT/DT) - reminds me heavily of Dexter Lawrence. Player that is 3-4 NT size but game is more similar to that of a 4-3 DT or 1-technique. Will likely drop weight down to 330-345 lbs for the role. Also ensure that we do not suffer in run defense if any of our starting DTs are injured.

3. Cedric Gray (LB) - big and fast 6'3'' 235 lbs LB that can play inside and outside. Had 121 tackles, 4 PD, 1 INT, 5 sacks this past year. If he can play even 50% as good as Micah Parsons, would give us a legit LB #3 and also insurance, as Franklin and Speed both have only one year left on their contracts.

4. Max Melton (CB) - all-around decent CB for this round of the draft. Not a project, not a freak athlete, but performs.

5. Jaylan Ford (LB) - similar to Cedric Gray above.

6. Jayden Hicks (S) - potential playmaker at safety with good size of 6'3'' and 210+ lbs.

7. Tualia Tagovailoa (QB) - undersized QB that has mobile presence, can be a dynamic backup QB who is not a statue.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Right now, I have zero idea how FA would turn out; thus, unable to make a well-informed draft decision. This draft attempt (on Fanspeak) assumes that we re-sign most of our own and have minimal FA acquisitions.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 171022.jpg

1. Malik Nabers (WR) - gives us a legit 1-2nd option so that defenses cannot key in on MP2. With Josh Downs also coming on, this would give us a very solid if not elite WR group.

2. T'Vondre Sweat (NT/DT) - reminds me heavily of Dexter Lawrence. Player that is 3-4 NT size but game is more similar to that of a 4-3 DT or 1-technique. Will likely drop weight down to 330-345 lbs for the role. Also ensure that we do not suffer in run defense if any of our starting DTs are injured.

3. Cedric Gray (LB) - big and fast 6'3'' 235 lbs LB that can play inside and outside. Had 121 tackles, 4 PD, 1 INT, 5 sacks this past year. If he can play even 50% as good as Micah Parsons, would give us a legit LB #3 and also insurance, as Franklin and Speed both have only one year left on their contracts.

4. Max Melton (CB) - all-around decent CB for this round of the draft. Not a project, not a freak athlete, but performs.

5. Jaylan Ford (LB) - similar to Cedric Gray above.

6. Jayden Hicks (S) - potential playmaker at safety with good size of 6'3'' and 210+ lbs.

7. Tualia Tagovailoa (QB) - undersized QB that has mobile presence, can be a dynamic backup QB who is not a statue.

I seriously doubt Nabers will be there or think we need 2 LBs, but I like this mock draft. I’d be happy with this. 

On 1/8/2024 at 5:19 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Go all in on Tee Higgins in free agency... and let Pittman walk in free agency if he wants too much.

I have no idea what they will do

But IMHO

We need a speedy separation WR to make sure that the other teams  defense dont line up in 8 man boxes, like we saw again and again   

Higgins would seem to be exactly like Pittman, which isnt bad, but IMHO misses the need

On 1/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Go all in on Tee Higgins in free agency... and let Pittman walk in free agency if he wants too much.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have no idea what they will do

But IMHO

We need a speedy separation WR to make sure that the other teams  defense dont line up in 8 man boxes, like we saw again and again   

Higgins would seem to be exactly like Pittman, which isnt bad, but IMHO misses the need

Higgins will not be available.  

Joe Burrows revealed Tuesday that in his new contract he structured it so Cincinnati would be able to re-sign Higgins, AND that the Bengals promised him they’d keep Higgins.   

So that ends that.  

Another attempt to fix the Colts.  Chris Ballard has already made it clear that no one is safe, and no one has a guaranteed contract.  Much different approach to the offseason including NFL draft trades.

The only player to get resigned is WR Michael Pittman Jr.  Pittman has been a reliable safety net for Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, and Minshew and rarely drops passes.  Pittman should be our top priority. 

Colts pull of a shocking trade with Chicago for QB Justin Fields sending 2023 R2P plus 2024 R3P.  Colts didn’t resign Gardner Minshew and looked to find a compliant QB with a proven history also as a running back much like AR.  This ends up being a very cap friendly acquisition for 2024 as the Colts are projected to have plenty of cap space available to sign Fields to a longer-term deal.  Jury is still out on Fields and am also in the mix that he is just another Minshew delegated as nothing more than a backup with upside.  Very friendly cap number of $3.233 million.  Did see this trade scenario mentioned from someone with ties to Chicago. 

FA Additions:

Colts send OC Ryan Kelly to NY Giants for R3P70 freeing up cap space and replace Kelly in FA with Cowboys Tyler Biadasz.  

With not resigning Grover Stewart the Colts biggest money acquisition is IDL Justin Madubuike (Ravens).

RB DeeJay Dallas (Seattle) – in 2023 he returned 25 punts for 265 yards and 17 kicks for 440 yards (25.9 yards per return).  Dallas finished 10th in the league among players with at least 15 punt returns with 10.6 yards per return and landed 7th among players with at least 15 kick returns with 25.9 yards per return.  Have a better offensive impact with the Colts than with Seattle (Walker/Charbonnet).  Dallas would be an immediate improvement over McKenzie following his late season suspension.

LT/RT Chuma Edoga (Cowboys) – Last season Edoga was very high on my FA list and once again he has proven to be one of the best OL backups in the game. 

LG Ben Bartch (49er) another solid backup with proven history.  For too long we haven’t had a capable backup behind Nelson and Bartch should add the needed depth we need.

The lack of resigning players does leave the Colts thin at edge and DB with still some help needed at WR.

Round 1P15 CB Cooper DeJean (Iowa) – provides versatility as a CB, SCB, and FS

Round 2 - traded to Chicago for QB J. Fields

Round 3 P70 via NY Giant - Edge Gabriel Murphy (UCLA).  Gabriel and his twin brother Grayson made names for themselves at North Texas in 2022 where I originally took notice.  Gabriel the more well-rounded of the two earned 80+ grades in both pass/run defender.

Round 3 P82 Edge Mohamed Kamara (Colorado St) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Honorable Mention.  Kamara proved to have the necessary skills as a pass-rusher much like Murphy and should excel here. 

Round 4 IDL Tyler Davis (Clemson) - Davis had a few injuries in college that put his career behind schedule but when he was able to play, he was a dominate run-stopper in the mold of Grover Stewart.

Round 5 SWR Malik Washington (Virginia) - 2023 earned college football midseason all-America Second Team.  All-American accolades for 2023 season.  Final 2023 offense grade of 91.1 is second best with a 92.3 receiving grade and 54.0 run grade.  Insurance policy behind Josh Downs.

Round 6 SCB Sebastian Castro (Iowa) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Second Team-Flex D.  After 9 weeks Castro leads all CBs with a 90.2 PFF grade allowing only a 35.8 passer rating when targeted.  PFF defense grade 91.6, run defense grade 87.0, and a coverage grade of 91.6.  A year ago, it was Illinois having a one of the best DB units in college football and this year Iowa had a solid unit.  Castro reunites with Cooper once again to help the Colts defense.

Round 7 WR-X Hayden Hatten (Idaho) - No Isaiah McKenzie no problem with Hatten who had a solid college career.  In 2022, Hatten had 1223 receiving yards, 17 contested catches with 39 explosive plays of 15+ yards earning an elite PFF grade of 91.9. Hatten has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.   

2025 FA am hoping we target Denver's edge rusher Jonathan Cooper, Browns WLB Jermiah Owusu-Koramoah, Rams ILB Ernest Jones, and Falcons LCB AJ Terrell who already had his 5-year exercised but may look for a FA payday. 

12 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Another attempt to fix the Colts.  Chris Ballard has already made it clear that no one is safe, and no one has a guaranteed contract.  Much different approach to the offseason including NFL draft trades.

The only player to get resigned is WR Michael Pittman Jr.  Pittman has been a reliable safety net for Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, and Minshew and rarely drops passes.  Pittman should be our top priority. 

Colts pull of a shocking trade with Chicago for QB Justin Fields sending 2023 R2P plus 2024 R3P.  Colts didn’t resign Gardner Minshew and looked to find a compliant QB with a proven history also as a running back much like AR.  This ends up being a very cap friendly acquisition for 2024 as the Colts are projected to have plenty of cap space available to sign Fields to a longer-term deal.  Jury is still out on Fields and am also in the mix that he is just another Minshew delegated as nothing more than a backup with upside.  Very friendly cap number of $3.233 million.  Did see this trade scenario mentioned from someone with ties to Chicago. 

FA Additions:

Colts send OC Ryan Kelly to NY Giants for R3P70 freeing up cap space and replace Kelly in FA with Cowboys Tyler Biadasz.  

With not resigning Grover Stewart the Colts biggest money acquisition is IDL Justin Madubuike (Ravens).

RB DeeJay Dallas (Seattle) – in 2023 he returned 25 punts for 265 yards and 17 kicks for 440 yards (25.9 yards per return).  Dallas finished 10th in the league among players with at least 15 punt returns with 10.6 yards per return and landed 7th among players with at least 15 kick returns with 25.9 yards per return.  Have a better offensive impact with the Colts than with Seattle (Walker/Charbonnet).  Dallas would be an immediate improvement over McKenzie following his late season suspension.

LT/RT Chuma Edoga (Cowboys) – Last season Edoga was very high on my FA list and once again he has proven to be one of the best OL backups in the game. 

LG Ben Bartch (49er) another solid backup with proven history.  For too long we haven’t had a capable backup behind Nelson and Bartch should add the needed depth we need.

The lack of resigning players does leave the Colts thin at edge and DB with still some help needed at WR.

Round 3 P70 via NY Giant - Edge Gabriel Murphy (UCLA).  Gabriel and his twin brother Grayson made names for themselves at North Texas in 2022 where I originally took notice.  Gabriel the more well-rounded of the two earned 80+ grades in both pass/run defender.

Round 3 P82 Edge Mohamed Kamara (Colorado St) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Honorable Mention.  Kamara proved to have the necessary skills as a pass-rusher much like Murphy and should excel here. 

Round 4 IDL Tyler Davis (Clemson) - Davis had a few injuries in college that put his career behind schedule but when he was able to play, he was a dominate run-stopper in the mold of Grover Stewart.

Round 5 SWR Malik Washington (Virginia) - 2023 earned college football midseason all-America Second Team.  All-American accolades for 2023 season.  Final 2023 offense grade of 91.1 is second best with a 92.3 receiving grade and 54.0 run grade.  Insurance policy behind Josh Downs.

Round 6 SCB Sebastian Castro (Iowa) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Second Team-Flex D.  After 9 weeks Castro leads all CBs with a 90.2 PFF grade allowing only a 35.8 passer rating when targeted.  PFF defense grade 91.6, run defense grade 87.0, and a coverage grade of 91.6.  A year ago, it was Illinois having a one of the best DB units in college football and this year Iowa had a solid unit.  Castro reunites with Cooper once again to help the Colts defense.

Round 7 WR-X Hayden Hatten (Idaho) - No Isaiah McKenzie no problem with Hatten who had a solid college career.  In 2022, Hatten had 1223 receiving yards, 17 contested catches with 39 explosive plays of 15+ yards earning an elite PFF grade of 91.9. Hatten has excellent catch strength and hand-eye coordination and can create separation.   

2025 FA am hoping we target Denver's edge rusher Jonathan Cooper, Browns WLB Jermiah Owusu-Koramoah, Rams ILB Ernest Jones, and Falcons LCB AJ Terrell who already had his 5-year exercised but may look for a FA payday. 

Wow

Creative Nuke approach

From my perspective....... (Im not an expert)

From year to year we need to bring in

Stud DE - Miss

A speedy, separation WR opposite Pittman - Miss

A CB - HIT

A play making FS - Miss

A LB that can start (WSLB or SSLB) - Miss

The Likes

Cooper Dejean would be an amazing pickup.  He is that rare CB that plays the pass and run very well.

At 207 lbs that can run a 4.4 flat, he is like a linebacker in space

This fills a major hole

Grover has a role that not many could fill. I absolutely like Madubuike, but he is 290 lbs

With 2 3 techs, we might have trouble stopping the run.  If Madubuike can play strongside DE, and then move in on passing downs it might work, but we would have to resign Grover, for earlier downs

The Dislikes 

Looking at our needs before the upcoming period, I dont see a separation WR, that could start day 1

Still have an open hole 

Having two QBs that could truly start would seem to be overkill

I highly doubt that Chicago would take 2 2nd round picks for Fields

Last year, before the draft, I was in the camp of bringing Fields here. I think having him and AR on the same team doesnt make logical sense

18 hours ago, OhioColt said:

FA Additions:

Question:   What words did Ballard say that gave you the impression that “no one is safe.”

I listened to the same press conference and didn’t come away with that impression.   I’ve read some stories written about the presser and have yet to read anything that says no one is safe.   

Maybe you’re right.   But I’m curious. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:33 AM, OhioColt said:

FA Additions:

I don't get CB in the 1st. Ballard said he was happy with out young guys and they need to play. He's not wasting a 1st rounder on "competition".

IF the Bears don't want Fields anymore he'll want to go somewhere he can start. If we trade for him he'll be unhappy and noone wants that.

I like the effort, but I don't see any of this happening, sorry.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:26 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Wow

Creative Nuke approach

From my perspective....... (Im not an expert)

From year to year we need to bring in

Stud DE - Miss

A speedy, separation WR opposite Pittman - Miss

A CB - HIT

A play making FS - Miss

A LB that can start (WSLB or SSLB) - Miss

The Likes

Cooper Dejean would be an amazing pickup.  He is that rare CB that plays the pass and run very well.

At 207 lbs that can run a 4.4 flat, he is like a linebacker in space

This fills a major hole

Grover has a role that not many could fill. I absolutely like Madubuike, but he is 290 lbs

With 2 3 techs, we might have trouble stopping the run.  If Madubuike can play strongside DE, and then move in on passing downs it might work, but we would have to resign Grover, for earlier downs

The Dislikes 

Looking at our needs before the upcoming period, I dont see a separation WR, that could start day 1

Still have an open hole 

Having two QBs that could truly start would seem to be overkill

I highly doubt that Chicago would take 2 2nd round picks for Fields

Last year, before the draft, I was in the camp of bringing Fields here. I think having him and AR on the same team doesnt make logical sense

The Fields debate seen from an article out of Chicago still debating whether  they thought Fields was more of a career backup not a starter.  Also mentioned his trade value as a backuo compared to if he would be a starter.  The 2nd and future wasn’t a stretch of the truth given what the Cowboys done in a trade for Lance from the 49ers only costing them a 4th round pick if memory serves. 

Of this years’ draft class really don’t see a true compliment QB to pair up with AR and Minshew would cost the Colts too much in cap space and would be a cheaper option to for Fields cheaper and take over his contract this year as next season we will have plenty of cap space.  Fields to me is more similar and offer much return on value much like Minshew and Steichen still has QBs similar to what he had in Philly where they can run the RPO with better efficiency.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Question:   What words did Ballard say that gave you the impression that “no one is safe.”

I listened to the same press conference and didn’t come away with that impression.   I’ve read some stories written about the presser and have yet to read anything that says no one is safe.   

Maybe you’re right.   But I’m curious. 

It’s the weekend and away from my computer but this was from an older presser I believe that was posted a while ago or years ago.  Sure if copy paste might find the original author.  

On 1/13/2024 at 6:30 AM, Solid84 said:

I don't get CB in the 1st. Ballard said he was happy with out young guys and they need to play. He's not wasting a 1st rounder on "competition".

IF the Bears don't want Fields anymore he'll want to go somewhere he can start. If we trade for him he'll be unhappy and noone wants that.

I like the effort, but I don't see any of this happening, sorry.

Bears brass and HC didn’t draft Fields that was the prior regime.  Look at the recent nees out of Chicago the debate continues even amongst so called professionals writing reports.  Is Fields a starter most don’t think so and he won’t be nothing but a career backup much like Minshew.  Look what Dallas got for trading 49ers QB.

Once you realize I didn’t reisgn anybody except Pittman and original had him walking as well and signing Washington’s CB instead.  Big holes to fill in the roster especially WRs, DBs and Edge along with backup IDL.  Why the draft for a run stopping DL much like Stewart and the need to replace most everyone else.  Same principle with the Colts go younger and build through the draft.

3 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

It’s the weekend and away from my computer but this was from an older presser I believe that was posted a while ago or years ago.  Sure if copy paste might find the original author.  

Bears brass and HC didn’t draft Fields that was the prior regime.  Look at the recent nees out of Chicago the debate continues even amongst so called professionals writing reports.  Is Fields a starter most don’t think so and he won’t be nothing but a career backup much like Minshew.  Look what Dallas got for trading 49ers QB.

Once you realize I didn’t reisgn anybody except Pittman and original had him walking as well and signing Washington’s CB instead.  Big holes to fill in the roster especially WRs, DBs and Edge along with backup IDL.  Why the draft for a run stopping DL much like Stewart and the need to replace most everyone else.  Same principle with the Colts go younger and build through the draft.

The Colts are already the 4th youngest team in the league. At some point you actually have to retain your veterans instead of booting them every chance you get.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Ohio…….   Look at my question and your answer.    I think you cut and pasted the wrong answer for me.   In fact , you used the same answer for another booster as well.   So somehow, I think wires got crossed.  

27 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

The Fields debate seen from an article out of Chicago still debating whether  they thought Fields was more of a career backup not a starter.  Also mentioned his trade value as a backuo compared to if he would be a starter.  The 2nd and future wasn’t a stretch of the truth given what the Cowboys done in a trade for Lance from the 49ers only costing them a 4th round pick if memory serves. 

Of this years’ draft class really don’t see a true compliment QB to pair up with AR and Minshew would cost the Colts too much in cap space and would be a cheaper option to for Fields cheaper and take over his contract this year as next season we will have plenty of cap space.  Fields to me is more similar and offer much return on value much like Minshew and Steichen still has QBs similar to what he had in Philly where they can run the RPO with better efficiency.

It depends on what you want but

Joe Milton 

Spencer Rattler 

Michael Pratt 

Sam Hartman 

Austin Reed 

Should have some decent backups in this draft on day 2 or later 

You also got Drew Lock,  Malik Cunningham and Tyrod Taylor in free agency 

And a cheaper trade could be Bailey Zapp or Desmond Ridder 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

The Colts are already the 4th youngest team in the league. At some point you actually have to retain your veterans instead of booting them every chance you get.

Yeah.  Case in point free safety Malik Hooker.  Our 15th pick in the first round when he was drafted.  Struggled with injuries and we let him go.  Cowboys signed him to a three year extension this year.  Playing extremely well.  Only 27 years old.  I’m sure they thought it was the right decision at the time but he did show flashes.  We have a similar decision to make with Blackmon.  I hope we resign him even though he also has had injury issues. We will see.

• Like 1

Read an interesting evaluation of Calvin Ridley on pff.  He is a FA on the Jags.  According to his contract if he signs an extension with them the draft pick awarded to the Falcons escalates to a 2nd from a 3rd as part of the trade conditions.  They only have around 13m in cap space.  They could tag him for around 21m.  Not sure if that would prevent the draft pick escalation though.  They also need to decide on whether to pick up Lawrence ‘s 5th year option or even extend him this offseason.  They have some serious decisions to make.  If Ridley somehow makes it to FA I would think Ballard would be interested.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Read an interesting evaluation of Calvin Ridley on pff.  He is a FA on the Jags.  According to his contract if he signs an extension with them the draft pick awarded to the Falcons escalates to a 2nd from a 3rd as part of the trade conditions.  They only have around 13m in cap space.  They could tag him for around 21m.  Not sure if that would prevent the draft pick escalation though.  They also need to decide on whether to pick up Lawrence ‘s 5th year option or even extend him this offseason.  They have some serious decisions to make.  If Ridley somehow makes it to FA I would think Ballard would be interested.

They gotta sign Josh Allen as well....

On 12/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I understand what you are saying but Pittman is an excellent WR2 

In Cincy …Chase gets max attention. Higgins GREATLY benefits from that attention

IMHO Pittman and Higgins are similar in talent.  

Imagine if Pittman had someone on the other side that actually frightens defensive coaches

Pittman may actually take his game up a notch if we brought in someone who could take the top off

Nfl Football GIF by Indianapolis Colts

:peek:

3 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

They gotta sign Josh Allen as well....

Oh man, if the Jaguars ran out of space to sign him, that would change my whole off-season plan and I would be trying to sign him. And then worry about salary cap afterwards. Would pretty much guarantee that one of Paye or Dayo wouldn't be back after next season

20 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Nfl Football GIF by Indianapolis Colts

:peek:

My hope is there but I dont think Pierce is that guy

We need someone like these

CeeDee Lamb

Justin Jefferson

Tyreek Hill

A j Brown

Davante Adams

Keenan Allen

Cooper Kupp