Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers: Staley and Telesco fired

Superman

About time!!! I probably echo Chargers Nation and most of the NFL when I say this. Christmas came early. :) 

It is definitely an exciting job with Herbert for a young offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson of Detroit Lions. Plus defensive coaches like Vance Joseph, Brian Flores, Jim Schwartz, Raheem Morris, it seems like the league is out of favor hiring them as head coaches. I do think Todd Bowles might become the next good defensive mind available for a DC candidate when the Bucs let him go too.

I am sure there will be plenty of Jim Harbaugh talk too, the annual rinse and repeat.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

About time!!! I probably echo Chargers Nation and most of the NFL when I say this. Christmas came early. :) 

It is definitely an exciting job with Herbert for a young offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson of Detroit Lions. Plus defensive coaches like Vance Joseph, Brian Flores, Jim Schwartz, Raheem Morris, it seems like the league is out of favor hiring them as head coaches. I do think Todd Bowles might become the next good defensive mind available for a DC candidate when the Bucs let him go too.

I am sure there will be plenty of Jim Harbaugh talk too, the annual rinse and repeat.

They should have fired Staley after the playoff loss. I don't think Telesco did a bad job, but 11 years, three HC hires, and a top heavy roster with some issues, I think they had to move on from him also. I wouldn't mind him being back in Indy as a director or VP; we probably should have made him GM in 2012, in hindsight.

Staley was increasingly combative and defensive with the media this year. The writing was on the wall. 

I'm really excited to see who they hire. I think Herbert is one of the best QBs in the league, and if they get going in the right direction it can be interesting.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Actually, it was done about 2 years late and GM Tom Telesco also deserved to be run, for hiring Staley who had all of 1 year experience as the Rams' DC over guys like Brian Daboll who were also available at the time.

Yeah, the new HC better be an OC or have a darn good OC like DeMeco Ryans has for Stroud. Otherwise, it won't work.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

They should have fired Staley after the playoff loss. I don't think Telesco did a bad job, but 11 years, three HC hires, and a top heavy roster with some issues, I think they had to move on from him also. I wouldn't mind him being back in Indy as a director or VP; we probably should have made him GM in 2012, in hindsight.

Staley was increasingly combative and defensive with the media this year. The writing was on the wall. 

I'm really excited to see who they hire. I think Herbert is one of the best QBs in the league, and if they get going in the right direction it can be interesting.

Telesco hired 3 Head Coaches, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn & Brandon Staley and they were all duds!

The fact that Spanos made the move this quickly suggests he's going after a big name like Belichick or Harbaugh, and the fact that Telesco was run as well makes me think that whoever is next will have a ton of control.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Telesco hired 3 Head Coaches, Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn & Brandon Staley and they were all duds!

The fact that Spanos made the move this quickly suggests he's going after a big name like Belichick or Harbaugh, and the fact that Telesco was run as well makes me think that whoever is next will have a ton of control.

Would a guy like Josh McDaniels ever work as an OC with a guy like Jim Harbaugh? Or are they going to bring Belichick after the Patriots let him go and hire Josh McDaniels as OC to stick it to the Raiders twice every year? Still need to separate GM duties and Belichick might be willing, this late in his career to do so. This depends on the Patriots letting Belichick go though. Can hire Scott Pioli to reunite him with Belichick.

Interesting thoughts??? 😉

8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

That's an easy assumption to make, but I don't know. People said the same thing about the Colts and Harbaugh last year. I also wonder if the Chargers still have money issues. 

No disagreement about the coaches, but McCoy was a very hot candidate at the time. And Staley came from the McVay tree, although on the wrong side of the ball. Either way, they didn't get any of these HC hires right, obviously.

No surprise really.

Brandon Staley was supposed to be a defensive genius - yet - his defense was a no-show last night.

Tom Telesco was a little bit of a surprise - but - I'm sure that the owner wants to hire a GM - then a head coach.

I'm betting on it being an offensive-minded coach - with Justin Herbert already on the roster.

35 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

No surprise really.

Brandon Staley was supposed to be a defensive genius - yet - his defense was a no-show last night.

Tom Telesco was a little bit of a surprise - but - I'm sure that the owner wants to hire a GM - then a head coach.

I'm betting on it being an offensive-minded coach - with Justin Herbert already on the roster.

I think it'll be the other way around - I think the next HC will have alot of input on who the GM will be, making the job a little more attractive.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, this is almost a year late. 

This will almost definitely be the top destination for HC candidates this offseason. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Telesco did a lot right player talent wise, but the HC whiffs… oof. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I used to think he was good too, but I've watched too many games waiting for him to get it done, and to me he just doesn't have the it factor.  Maybe a new GM and HC will change that.  Time will tell.  But he's not new to the league anymore.

18 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I used to think he was good too, but I've watched too many games waiting for him to get it done, and to me he just doesn't have the it factor.  Maybe a new GM and HC will change that.  Time will tell.  But he's not new to the league anymore.

Besides this, and team record, is there a real criticism of him as a player? Is there an area where he comes up short? 

All I hear is abstract stuff, with little acknowledgment of the circumstances. I watch the dude play all the time. I don't know what "it factor" a QB is supposed to have that he doesn't display.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I disagree. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

What don't you like about him?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Besides this, and team record, is there a real criticism of him as a player? Is there an area where he comes up short? 

All I hear is abstract stuff, with little acknowledgment of the circumstances. I watch the dude play all the time. I don't know what "it factor" a QB is supposed to have that he doesn't display.

On paper, does his team have more talent than the Colts?  I believe they have some elite WRs, elite DE, and probably won't even make the playoffs this year.  I do acknowledge he is in a tough division, but if he's so great, why aren't they winning more?  Is that a different topic?  

40 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

On paper, does his team have more talent than the Colts?  I believe they have some elite WRs, elite DE, and probably won't even make the playoffs this year.  I do acknowledge he is in a tough division, but if he's so great, why aren't they winning more?  Is that a different topic?  

My question is whether you think that the team's lack of wins is due to a shortcoming of Herbert's. If so, I wonder what those shortcomings are.

If not, is it reasonable to hold the lack of wins over Herbert? 

The Chargers do have good receivers, and generally speaking the offense has been productive. I saw a stat earlier this season that the Chargers were top five-ish in yardage and points over the last three seasons. But the defense was top five-ish in yardage and points given up. There are games where the Chargers offense goes and scores late in the game, then the defense promptly gives up the lead, so the offense has to go try to score again. Then the postgame discourse is about how the offense came up short.

Speaking of the defense, they have good players on paper. Until recently, Khalil Mack wasn't very productive. And Bosa is seemingly always hurt. And however we feel about the defensive personnel, the results aren't good. 

And then there's the coach, and his failures are well chronicled.

With all of this going on, it's surprising to me that people continue to "evaluate" Herbert on the basis of whether or not the Chargers are winning games. The offense is productive (this season, not as much -- Herbert has been hurt multiple times, Ekeler was hurt, the OL seems to be falling apart), the defense is not productive, the coach has a history of making big mistakes in crucial situations... and the conclusion is that the QB isn't that good?

Again, I watch the Chargers often. Herbert has all the tools. He's made all the plays. I think there's another level he can reach when it comes to game management, but I don't think he's coming up short in any area. I will acknowledge that he's not been perfect in some games this year. Some missed throws, and some opportunities to make plays late in games, and they haven't gotten it done. I don't think Herbert is the problem. To the contrary, I think he's one of the only things that organization has going for it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

My question is whether you think that the team's lack of wins is due to a shortcoming of Herbert's. If so, I wonder what those shortcomings are.

If not, is it reasonable to hold the lack of wins over Herbert? 

The Chargers do have good receivers, and generally speaking the offense has been productive. I saw a stat earlier this season that the Chargers were top five-ish in yardage and points over the last three seasons. But the defense was top five-ish in yardage and points given up. There are games where the Chargers offense goes and scores late in the game, then the defense promptly gives up the lead, so the offense has to go try to score again. Then the postgame discourse is about how the offense came up short.

Speaking of the defense, they have good players on paper. Until recently, Khalil Mack wasn't very productive. And Bosa is seemingly always hurt. And however we feel about the defensive personnel, the results aren't good. 

And then there's the coach, and his failures are well chronicled.

With all of this going on, it's surprising to me that people continue to "evaluate" Herbert on the basis of whether or not the Chargers are winning games. The offense is productive (this season, not as much -- Herbert has been hurt multiple times, Ekeler was hurt, the OL seems to be falling apart), the defense is not productive, the coach has a history of making big mistakes in crucial situations... and the conclusion is that the QB isn't that good?

Again, I watch the Chargers often. Herbert has all the tools. He's made all the plays. I think there's another level he can reach when it comes to game management, but I don't think he's coming up short in any area. I will acknowledge that he's not been perfect in some games this year. Some missed throws, and some opportunities to make plays late in games, and they haven't gotten it done. I don't think Herbert is the problem. To the contrary, I think he's one of the only things that organization has going for it.

That may be a fair assessment.  As I've stated, I've only watched a small sample size.

• Like 1

Who will be the interim head coach ? Here is the answer per NFL.com

“The Chargers named Giff Smith as interim head coach and JoJo Wooden as interim general manager for the remainder of the 2023 season. Smith, the Chargers' outside linebackers coach, has been with the club since 2016. Wooden joined the Chargers in 2013 as the director of player personnel.

Chargers defensive run game coordinator/defensive line coach Jay Rodgers was also relieved of his duties on Friday, the team announced.”

As many have stated..:probably overdue to at least can the HC. Makes sense to just clean the entire house though.

also kind of curious why they didn’t promote Kellen Moore to temporary head coach, I mean I realize his offense yesterday was putrid but many have seen him as a real possibility for a head position in the league..could have given him a trial run to see if it would be worth it ?

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Who will be the interim head coach ? Here is the answer per NFL.com

“The Chargers named Giff Smith as interim head coach and JoJo Wooden as interim general manager for the remainder of the 2023 season. Smith, the Chargers' outside linebackers coach, has been with the club since 2016. Wooden joined the Chargers in 2013 as the director of player personnel.

Chargers defensive run game coordinator/defensive line coach Jay Rodgers was also relieved of his duties on Friday, the team announced.”

As many have stated..:probably overdue to at least can the HC. Makes sense to just clean the entire house though.

also kind of curious why they didn’t promote Kellen Moore to temporary head coach, I mean I realize his offense yesterday was putrid but many have seen him as a real possibility for a head position in the league..could have given him a trial run to see if it would be worth it ?

Kellen Moore is in his 1st season with the Chargers, and Giff Smith is in his 7th. There is virtually no chance that the next Head Coach will be a first timer, so IMO there is no need for the team to evaluate Kellen in that role.

Won't help them. No matter what they do AND how much talent they have the chargers organization is highly doubtful of being relevant, except for maybe a wild card season once in a while. I said previously Herbert should push his way out if championships matter to him. Bosa so frustrated at the end last year along with their fans who I feel sorry for.

The time was last year to fire their coach with Payton on the market and a young QB phenom to lure him.... But that's not the chargers way. haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Won't help them. No matter what they do AND how much talent they have the chargers organization is highly doubtful of being relevant, except for maybe a wild card season once in a while. I said previously Herbert should push his way out if championships matter to him. Bosa so frustrated at the end last year along with their fans who I feel sorry for.

The time was last year to fire their coach with Payton on the market and a young QB phenom to lure him.... But that's not the chargers way. haha

It's hard to imagine how they could take so many steps right, while simultaneously so many wrong. 

I concur, they should have cleaned house after that playoff loss, The probably should have never moved back to LA either but that's a whole different conversation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColtV said:

It's hard to imagine how they could take so many steps right, while simultaneously so many wrong. 

I concur, they should have cleaned house after that playoff loss, The probably should have never moved back to LA either but that's a whole different conversation. 

The city they play in doesn't matter......even the elite QBs that played for them doesn't matter when trying to go to the super bowl......Dan Fouts.....Phillip Rivers..... and now Herbert. 

Eli was almost on this list but refused to play for them.. I guess the Manning family knew something? Lol